CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Eldorado

kcd1184

Got everything back together,cleared codes, and went for a spin. The only codes showing when driving were still the 1225,1226,1227,and 1228 excessive wheel speed (current) ones. Jims-97-ETC mentioned a 10amp brake fuse. I forgot about checking it. Was that supposed to be down by the EBTCM connection?

Kent

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I did back in the day to get the antifreeze to 50% was to bring it to full with pure antifreeze, run the car, test, and do an estimate about how much to drain and then top off again with 100% antifreeze. If someone could tell me exactly how much of the 12.5 quarts drains, I could do a calculation and tell you how much to drain. You could almost certainly get there if you start with two gallons of DexCool.

The point of the flush is to get out the green if someone has done that to your car.

To interject a thought, After flushing the system till the water runs clear with the engine running and up to temp, I take a shop air hose put the nozzle in the overflow tank opening with a rag around it to seal and wait till the pet cock has only shop air coming from it then refill with 50/50 that I mixed in spare dexcool containers at my kitchen sink.

What I did back in the day to get the antifreeze to 50% was to bring it to full with pure antifreeze, run the car, test, and do an estimate about how much to drain and then top off again with 100% antifreeze. If someone could tell me exactly how much of the 12.5 quarts drains, I could do a calculation and tell you how much to drain. You could almost certainly get there if you start with two gallons of DexCool.

The point of the flush is to get out the green if someone has done that to your car.

To interject a thought, After flushing the system till the water runs clear with the engine running and up to temp, I take a shop air hose put the nozzle in the overflow tank opening with a rag around it to seal and wait till the pet cock has only shop air coming from it then refill with 50/50 that I mixed in spare dexcool containers at my kitchen sink.

I believe from the DIC, there is a option to read each of the wheel speeds. I recall several years ago playing with mine (and I was able to compare the wheel speed vs. the odometer). the odometer seemes to lag behind the wheel speeds, but that's necessary because the wheel speed is changing speeds a bit too much. Also FYI, the HVAC display gives a indication as to when the solenoids, brake pedal etc. are doing in the transmission. (depending on the icon being turning on/off.

If it goes into Park with no problem, the problem is not with the solenoid.

When you put the EBTCM connector on, be sure and use the connector clamp carefully, and to use the locking pin on the connector when it is seated (or a nylon wire tie, if the pin is missing). The locking pin is easi8ly put in from the top, and all you have to remove is the air cleaner box, which lifts out when the five-inch intake to the fuel injection is pulled off (I pry mine off with a screwdriver).

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I serviced the Eldo following the 100,000 mile specs(95,000+ actual).Full brakes, spark plugs and wires, transmission fluid and filters,coolant+pills,hoses and thermostat, cleaned throttle body and air intake, and checked numerous connections. Make sure to confirm the spark plug gap with GM techs and or manual(NOT PARTS PEOPLE).My OEM plugs came gapped at .050 from RockAuto,was told that they come pre-gapped for the listed vehicle,so ASSUMED gap was correct(checked for .050) and installed new wires and plugs. Didn't read my service manual because I THOUGHT everybody knew what they were talking about. Wrong. Service manual states .060 gap. Period. Back four were a pain to redo after all the wires were back in place. Lesson learned.

Except for the shift lever problem and the wheel speed sensor codes(1227/28 are sometimes history when driving), I have been feeling more and more comfortable with the Eldo. Lets go for A RIDE.

VERY NICE! Cruising at 55 and then WOT is intense. Acceleration does not slow at 110mph. I repeated this 5 or 6 times. Same as my 94 but it just seemed better. NSTR 98 was singing(screaming). Did the 2nd gear WOT 40 to 70 proceedure 10 times. Didn't seem to pull down like the 94 Eldo. When I back off in 2nd with the 94 it is like hitting a Jake brake. The 98 does not have the bottom end accelleration that the 94 does.Not even close. I was wondering if the ABS/Traction disabled might have anything to do with it. This Cadillac has been waiting 14 years to be DRIVEN.

Drip/leaks are not an issue at present. Except that proverbial front end rattle on these models everything seems to be tight. What is that? There is not a weight or wear depression on the driver seat. Body and paint are 98% perfect. Would have been 99% except my friends scraped the driver's door trim backing out of the storage space.

I'm going to drive and enjoy NSTR 98 for a little bit and see how things evolve. Thank you to all who responded. The Journey continues

Kent

:nopicssmiley: :nopicssmiley:

A one finger plinker here. Tell me HOW to post a picture(s) and I will.

Kent

Go open a FREE account at http://www.photobucket.com

Take pics with a digital camera.

Put the pics on your computer.

Upload them to Photobucket.

Then put your mouse over the pic you want to post here..."DON"T CLICK ON THE PICTURE"... a box will pop up with 4 selections.. click on the BOTTOM ONE...that copies the location of the picture

Then come to the site... start a message and "PASTE" it in the message...

That's all there is to it...

Like this....

This is my breakfast this morning...

IMG_0243.jpg

Posted Image

Mmmm. Breakfast.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

OK, now tell me about paste(not Elmer's either). Sad but true.

Kent

Assuming you did all the stuff about putting the pics on photobucket and can now see them...

When you move you mouse over one of the pictures, a box will pop up...

There are 4 things in the box that you can click on...

Click on the one that says .... IMG CODE...

When you do that the code for the pic is now "COPIED"....

Come to your post here in the forum where you want the picture to be...

Click in the white box of your post to put the mouse curser there...

Now "RIGHT CLICK" the mouse and a list of things you can do will popup...

"LEFT CLICK" on "PASTE" and a string of letters and numbers will appear...

Submit the post and your pic should then show up.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is...

It is just a few mouse clicks and it's done.

Posted Image

OK, now tell me about paste(not Elmer's either). Sad but true.

Kent

Assuming you did all the stuff about putting the pics on photobucket and can now see them...

When you move you mouse over one of the pictures, a box will pop up...

There are 4 things in the box that you can click on...

Click on the one that says .... IMG CODE...

When you do that the code for the pic is now "COPIED"....

Come to your post here in the forum where you want the picture to be...

Click in the white box of your post to put the mouse curser there...

Now "RIGHT CLICK" the mouse and a list of things you can do will popup...

"LEFT CLICK" on "PASTE" and a string of letters and numbers will appear...

Submit the post and your pic should then show up.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is...

It is just a few mouse clicks and it's done.

Thanks. I'll get some pictures and see what happens.

Kent

Thanks. I'll get some pictures and see what happens.

Kent

Cool... If you need help... PM me... I'll try to help all I can...

Jim

Got some pictures and will try to follow your instructions. BUT FIRST.... thought it wasn't going to go into gear when I first started the 98 up this morning. 15 minutes of trying the brake and shift lever(button). Finally released. Priority ONE tomorrow. There is something MAJOR going on with the shift lever assembly but I don't know how to get into the console without wrecking it..yet. I feel resistance going down into 2nd position now.

Coming home from my errands, I gave it a little fuel coming off a stop sign. Thought I was in the 94 for a second. I commented about the lack of low end performance yesterday. Two barrel carb to four barrel diffrence. It struck me so completely that I looked first at the dash. Only icon on was the service engine one, NO ABS or Traction disabled icons. Scanned for codes and got P0113,0300,0463,1111,1380History and ALL the C1225,6,7,8 speed sensor codes were HISTORY. Crazy! Sometimes all WSS codes on, sometimes front only and now none showing? Bermuda Triangle again! I stated before that I wondered if the ABS/Tracton disabled might control acceleration. No dampering when there are no ABS/Traction codes? I'll try the pictures later.

Kent

Got some pictures and will try to follow your instructions. BUT FIRST.... thought it wasn't going to go into gear when I first started the 98 up this morning. 15 minutes of trying the brake and shift lever(button). Finally released. Priority ONE tomorrow. There is something MAJOR going on with the shift lever assembly but I don't know how to get into the console without wrecking it..yet. I feel resistance going down into 2nd position now.

Coming home from my errands, I gave it a little fuel coming off a stop sign. Thought I was in the 94 for a second. I commented about the lack of low end performance yesterday. Two barrel carb to four barrel diffrence. It struck me so completely that I looked first at the dash. Only icon on was the service engine one, NO ABS or Traction disabled icons. Scanned for codes and got P0113,0300,0463,1111,1380History and ALL the C1225,6,7,8 speed sensor codes were HISTORY. Crazy! Sometimes all WSS codes on, sometimes front only and now none showing? Bermuda Triangle again! I stated before that I wondered if the ABS/Tracton disabled might control acceleration. No dampering when there are no ABS/Traction codes? I'll try the pictures later.

Kent

If you have traction control or ABS codes... I "THINK" it will start in 2nd gear...

If there are no traction control or ABS codes it will start in first gear...

That will make a HUGE difference in how it takes off from a dead stop...

Jim

Posted Image

Like this....

This is my breakfast this morning...

IMG_0243.jpg

Thanks Jim, I went out and got donuts today because of your photo :)

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Kent, It sure sounds like the shift mechanism just needs some lube. If it is anything like mine it should just pry up from the back side. If you still have my number, give me a call if you need any help. You are not far from me.

Kent

If you have traction control or ABS codes... I "THINK" it will start in 2nd gear...

If there are no traction control or ABS codes it will start in first gear...

That will make a HUGE difference in how it takes off from a dead stop...

Jim

I have intermittent ABS and Traction Control codes but it always starts in the first gear.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Bottom line. I am replacing EBTCM. Pre owned part. Did alot of research and testing. I feel that this is the correct move and am hopeful. I have pictures on file but don't want to post until NSTR 98 is pretty on the inside also. I have all the instructions and number saved. Thanks T J.

Kent

Got the "pre-owned" EBTCM. That in itself is a story. This issue seems to be very uncommom. Always planned on having a dry run with removing the EBTCM because the "new" part is almost always sold still connected to the BPMV . Came apart nicely after I figured out the step they left out of the service manual.

I was worried about damaging the gasket the manual refers to. So far so good. Now I am going to see what I have to move (again) to make sure I have good access to swap the old(and hopefully) bad EBTCM for the "new" one.

Replaced the EBTCM. Got rid of the C1225,6,7,8 codes but now have C1282,3,5,and 8 codes. I know what they are. Sort of frustrating. Got rid of the ABS icon and Traction Control Disabled warning and now I get the SERV STABILITY SYS, so that means Stabilitrak is disabled. I believe it is an electical power issue but that is not a good area for me.

Got a new shift handle(knob) and that solved the shift selector issue. The 94 Eldo overheated big time the other night and in order to drive it home the next day, I had to replace the serp belt and clean all the pulleys. Antifreeze. Wouldn't steer. Added 1/2 gallon of coolant. Blew white smoke for a bit and then quit(smoking). Didn't act up on the drive home. I don't know what happened. Thermostat(it's new), electric fan problem, or the dreaded head gasket issue. I'm about ready to buy a bicycle.

EBTCM codes are gone. I was given a wrong part. Found the correct one and so far so good. I have an oil leak I need to track down and an air ride compressor issue. No codes at all for the moment. That is nice. Knock on wood.

Archived