CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Eldorado

kcd1184

Yes, there are two flavors of EBTM for the 1990's Northstar, one with two visible relays for cars with Stabilitrak and one with only one visible relay. The ETC/STS and probably the DTS and quite possibly any car with Stabiltrak need the one with two relays.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a learning experience. The 98 Eldo is running good at the moment. Small oil drip and passenger side window whistle are what is left at the moment. I replaced the swaybar links and that solved my front end noise. Put new Michelin Primacy MXV4 98H tires on. I like the heavier sidewalls. Put an air compressor(used) on and found out the shocks were leaking. Replaced them new(ACDelco). All good. The EBTCM replacement was a pain.I know about the vehicle options pretty good now.Changed the coolant, hoses,thermostat, tranny fluid and filters, oil and filter,plugs and wires,serp belt, idler pulley,belt tensioner,redid the + battery cables, pads and rotors, fuel pressure regulator,and I had to replace the shift handle which solved the shifting problem. I have done some of these replacements on my own accord(I thought I was at the 100,000mile point) and some I did because they were necessary. I am very happy with the vehicles condition and performance, but this car was not represented correctly on E-bay. I finally came to the conclusion that between the last servive record(failed block test) at the dealership 12/10 and when the car was sold in 10/11 somebody put a new motor in. The numbers don't match where they are supposd to match. It seems to run fine but I thought I was buying a 94,000 mile one owner Eldo. Now I don't know anything about the current motor. I promise I will work on getting pictures. The car looks really special after I had some dimples removed and the driver's door fixed where my friends hit the storage unit door. I don't think anyone ever sat in the passenger or back seat more than 20 times. Everything is plump and tight. I found out that this was a womans car and from the condition of the driver's seat, I'll bet she didn't weigh 100lbs. One last thing. When I replaced the OEM plugs, I called around just checking at various places(even one Caddy dealership) to see what they called for gap. Everyone said .050" which is how the come. My service factory manuals call for .060. I went with the manual.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Kent

That is great Kent, I know what you mean by the learning experience, Ill bet its running great.

We have had extensive disputes over the plug gap, look at the label on the bottom front of the hood and see what that says, that is what I go with.

Love your PM work

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

it sucky when you start to find out things. I feel the same way about my 97 SLS. You have put alot into yours though, I cant afford too much with todays economy. and I suppose having 3 vehicles doesnt help lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived