CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sunglasses for Driving?

I am shopping for some prescription sunglasses to keep in the CTS as driving glasses.

The lenses I am considering are Drivewear lenses. Any one have experience with these or have other driving prescription sunglasses advice?

Low light/Overcast:

50a.jpg

Bright Light thru windshield:

50b.jpg

Bright Light outdoors:

50c.jpg

In the past, clear eyewear was enough. In bright light conditions, polarized sunwear was enough. This is no longer true. Today our lives are strongly influenced by the automobile, which has changed the way we experience the outdoors. We need a third category of lenses in our modern, automobile-centered world. Drivewear. Drivewear lenses are capable of sensing and reacting to varying light conditions both outside and behind the windshield of the car. From bright sunlight accompanied by intense, blinding glare, to overcast inclement conditions, Drivewear lenses provide the wearer with the appropriate visual solution. Drivewear lenses provide glare protection through polarization and enhance and protect vision through photochromics which respond to both visible and UV light. By combining the strengths of two of the most important technologies in eyewear today we have developed the lens of tomorrow, Drivewear.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have a 25 year old pair of Serengeti Drivers which have worked well for me. The lenses are made by Corning and they are real glass, I happen to like them. They also change shade from light orange to a dark brown, depending upon conditions.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I use Transitions, and I keep a set of high quality glass polarized flip-ups in the upper console of the Cadillac for highway driving in bright sunlight. For a separate pair of glasses, I would definitely ask for polarized light. The driving glasses you show also cut down blue more than other colors, which is also good for eye fatigue while minimizing loss of brightness. The polarization helps keep down reflections from the dashboard and hood as well as helps with the sky in some situations.

I've looked into driving glasses in the past and find that the cost is double what a good set of everyday Transistions or Photogray glasses would cost, ergo the flip-ups, which weren't cheap either but their price wasn't in the same league as the cost of some of the boutique driving glasses. But, you are showing us a brochure for one of the boutique driving glasses...

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Glass Glass Glass - no plastic. Plastic lenses scratch easily, especially where you'll be taking them off/putting them on often - and then they are worthless. These "coatings" that are sold are mostly worthless upsells.

Glass has better optics, and polarized glass will keep away glare and make driving much more accurate and relaxing in bright sunlight.

It's often difficult to get anyone to cut glass lenses - because they make so much more money on plastic - which should immediately get us all nervous. When I (the nasty lawyer) cross examine these vendors about the advantage of plastic, it seems the only one is weight, and less chance of damage to the eye in an accident. So, unless you have a bottle-glass prescription, and plan to crash, there's not enough difference to make a difference.

Wrap-arounds in this context are very useful.

These sound like a GREAT product with a truly unique approch to driving. They meet both my, and my wifes criteria at the same time, which has been IMPOSSIBLE for me to accomplish in over 35 years of marrige!

Let me explain: I'm a devotee of polarized perscription lenses. Everybody knows that polarized is the only way to go to reduce glare and stray reflections, which give the best driving comfort possible. (and you can wear them fishing as well) However, I am also a proponent of true color grey lenses, which means that red lights appear RED and green lights appear GREEN. OK, so I'm a perfectionist.

But my wife LOVES the brown color polarized lens. She doesn't care too much about exactly what color something is, just as long as she can see it in detail. The BLUE BLOCKER function of the brown polarized lens is perfect for her.

So here, you have the best of two worlds, the PHOTOCHROMIC darkening of a polarized, blue blocker lens! I say this is FANTASTIC, and might just change my next lens purchase. I hate to say this, but I'd want photochromic grey anyway, and my wife would still prefer the brown.

Now for the big "what if". What if they were to turn light enough to be used at night? Now THAT would be a breakthough! Imagine, FOG GLASSES, that would lessen the glare of oncoming (HID) headlights in the rain!!!!

Where can I buy a pair???

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

OH, one word of caution. Wearing blue blockers, especially polarized, will probably make it ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to see any blue florescent displays on your dash! My wife can't see the radio dial in the DTS at all with her shades on!

I recently bought a pair of Maui Jim prescription sunglasses. They are available in plastic, but I went with glass. GREAT sunglasses! I am totally satisfied with them. Have a look at their website. I got the Kahuna model with super thin glass lenses.

www.mauijim.com

Charles

I am also a proponent of true color grey lenses, which means that red lights appear RED and green lights appear GREEN. OK, so I'm a perfectionist.

"Grey" filters are called "neutral" in Optics. I guess, the same may be applied to lenses.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I've been using photochromic lenses since they came out, about 1980. The only think that I don't like is riding a motorcycle into a tunnel on a sunny day. :o The answer to that is to use a helmet that has a face shield that blocks most of the UV so that they don't turn as dark.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Having eight vehicles I always found myself without sun glasses. A friend told me about Zenni optical so I thought I would give them a try. I think I spent $12 for a pair of perscription sunglasses and was 200% satisfied. I now have purchases 10 pair of them and have one in every vehicle. I think they are nicer then the pair I spent 600 bucks on at my optomitrists. I have no connection with the company other they being a very satisfied customer. It sure tells you how bad you get screwed at the eye doctors though. Good luck!!

I found Zenni on the WWW and looked around, and, they are apparently legit. I turned up some rave reviews from third parties, too, incluidng one that went after them by reviewing their cheapest, $8 prescription eyeglasses. Upgrades include

• Complete Bi-Focal Eyeglasses Starting at $25.00
  • Complete Progressive Eyeglasses starting at $37.00
  • Premium Photochromic lenses for $39.00
  • Premium anti-reflective coating $4.95
  • Sunglass color tint coating (7 available) $4.95
They also have upgrades in the reflective index of the glass (lighter lenses, possibly less color fringing), etc. So, you can have progressive bifocals, photochromic with anti-reflective coating, for $81, which you may compare to your optometrist's price. I think I may try them for a second pair after my next eye exam.

My vision degraded a bit three years ago, so I decided it was time to get some glasses. I have measured my eyes myself, found online that Zenni Optical company, filled out the order and got excellent glasses in 10 days for pennies. Several people I recommended that company are very happy with their more complex prescription glasses. Looks like they offer photochromic lens option as well.

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Complete Bi-Focal Eyeglasses Starting at $25.00

Complete Progressive Eyeglasses starting at $37.00

Premium Photochromic lenses for $39.00

Premium anti-reflective coating $4.95

Sunglass color tint coating (7 available) $4.95

Looks good, but I don't see polarized perscription lenses.

In my experience, forget the anti reflective coating. While nice, and works as advertised, it is very soft and prone to scratching. So soft in fact, that my eybrows scratched the coating on one pait that I had! No smart remarks, I'm not a unibrow or anything! :P

OK, here's the deal. Does anybody know where I can buy a pair of CLEAR POLARIZED lenses for night driving?

Do they even make such a thing? Light grey (neutral), yeah, as on my screw in camera lens filter, but clear?

OK, here's the deal. Does anybody know where I can buy a pair of CLEAR POLARIZED lenses for night driving?

Do they even make such a thing? Light grey (neutral), yeah, as on my screw in camera lens filter, but clear?

My uncle bought me a nice pair of sunglasses for graduation... they came with a pair of clear lenses... the glasses arent cheap though.

They are made by Native, mine are the nano 2. REI has them pretty cheap, I might buy a pair with the gray lenses, mine have the blue/reflex, and replacement lenses run about 60 a pair, so for 70 I can get a whole new pair.

http://www.rei.com/product/783349?preferre...r:referralID=NA

I did scratch my blue lenses when they fell off my head while riding my bike, but they fell right on the face on concrete, so I expected them to be scratched. I dont notice the scratches from the inside, but I would like to buy a pair to use solely for driving.

ps... I see the pair at that link does not have the clear lenses, but I know they make them because mine has them... I will check when I get home to make sure the clear lenses are polarized, but I think they are.

Jonah

Any lens that is polarized will transmit no more than 50% of the light because the polarization function absorbs 50% of the light. The lightest practical polarized sunglasses that you see will transmit about 40% of the light, and thus will appear gray, not clear. Even astronomically expensive scientific optical bench polarizers will transmit just under 50% and appear gray.

Any lens that is polarized will transmit no more than 50% of the light because the polarization function absorbs 50% of the light. The lightest practical polarized sunglasses that you see will transmit about 40% of the light, and thus will appear gray, not clear. Even astronomically expensive scientific optical bench polarizers will transmit just under 50% and appear gray.

Makes sense once you think about how polarization works.... Thanks for the clarification Jim... I guess the clear lenses just block UV.

Jonah

Yeah, polarization plus about 50% gray gets you to about 20% transmission, which is a good number for bright daylight driving. If you have antireflective coating, that probably includes UV blocking. If you have photochromic, that includes IR blocking.

I'm getting an education here. For example, polarization is accomplished in thin sheets of plastic, so polarized glass lenses must have a plastic layer. And, I haven't seen any polarized prescription sunglasses yet. Also, I've found that Transitions is done with a layer or coating on the front of a plastic lens; anything else is done with coating in a glass lens. Regular eyeglasses seem to be available with whatever you want in plastic, although I haven't seen prescription polarized sunglasses.

My experience is that Transitions is superior to PhotoGray, the trade name for a popular photochromic glass eyeglass lens that I have used in the past. I use plastic eyeglasses now for the lower weight. Also, I was told that you lose a lot of the photochromic effect with antireflective coating on PhotoGray lenses because those use both UV and IR to darken, and the UV is blocked by the coating. I've also found that the antireflective coating is very scratch resistant, and I've never scratched it in about 20 years of wearing them, ever since antireflective coating came out. If you give up glass, everything is easy to get except, it seems, polarization.

I did a web search on "polarized prescription sunglasses" and turned up Costa Del Mar sunglasses; perhaps there is something out there, after all.

Regular eyeglasses seem to be available with whatever you want in plastic, although I haven't seen prescription polarized sunglasses

Polarized perscription sunglasses are available from any reputable eyeglass provider, including Lenscrafters, Sears Vision centers, Pearl vision (if they're still in business), and WalMart (if you can call them reputable). I have only seen them made of plastic. My local optician even offers them for about $300 (frames included). Generally they are offered in two colors, Photogray, also known as True Color Gray, and Brown, which provides the blue blocker function as well as polarization. The polarization function of the lens is not provided by a coating, it must be part of the lens itself.

The finest frame I've ever purchased are the Flexon Titanium Alloy. They are available in goldtone and a few other colors. They are metal, will NOT corrode, and can be twisted like a pretzel and still spring back to their original shape. I've been wearing mine, with different lenses installed of course, for about 18 years.....look like new. Production may have stopped on these since they are doing to frame makers what RKE surgery has done to opticians, put them out of business!

Regular eyeglasses seem to be available with whatever you want in plastic, although I haven't seen prescription polarized sunglasses

Polarized perscription sunglasses are available from any reputable eyeglass provider, including Lenscrafters, Sears Vision centers, Pearl vision (if they're still in business), and WalMart (if you can call them reputable). I have only seen them made of plastic. My local optician even offers them for about $300 (frames included). Generally they are offered in two colors, Photogray, also known as True Color Gray, and Brown, which provides the blue blocker function as well as polarization. The polarization function of the lens is not provided by a coating, it must be part of the lens itself.

The finest frame I've ever purchased are the Flexon Titanium Alloy. They are available in goldtone and a few other colors. They are metal, will NOT corrode, and can be twisted like a pretzel and still spring back to their original shape. I've been wearing mine, with different lenses installed of course, for about 18 years.....look like new. Production may have stopped on these since they are doing to frame makers what RKE surgery has done to opticians, put them out of business!

My prescription Maui Jim sunglasses are polarized and made of glass...

Charles

I dont know if this is off topic, but I use Mahi Jim polarized sunglasses. I love the polarization feature it cuts glare.

I have two pairs shown below that I have collected over the years, here, but whoever mentioned that plastic scratches is correct, if you drop them or dont take care of them, they are history, I scratched the wirerim ones below and its annoying. There is nothing like a good pair of sunglasses

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...19_17619_N__1__

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...19_17619_N__1__

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I found an example of Maui Jim glass polarized sunglasses here. They are $209 MSRP and are available in prescription through "optical dealers." So much for the price, if you add prescriptions and possibly bifocals at an optician, I would expect, particularly if the MSRP starts at $209. But, they are there.

I found an example of Maui Jim glass polarized sunglasses here. They are $209 MSRP and are available in prescription through "optical dealers." So much for the price, if you add prescriptions and possibly bifocals at an optician, I would expect, particularly if the MSRP starts at $209. But, they are there.

You know that is a great idea to have prescription sunglasses. I recently got contacts and they dont seem to agree with me and I find them annoying

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Prescription sunglasses can get pricey.

I have 5 pairs of prescription sunglasses, purchased at Zenni Optical, Goggles4You, and Optical4less.

They averaged about $25 per pair, shipped. Dirt cheap, and did the job for me. I would keep them in the car,

at work, at home, etc.

Too bad ... I had cataract surgery on Tue., so I've just put about a dozen pairs of glasses away for good.

Nice thing about the new ocular implants ... pefect distance vision, and no need for contacts or glasses.

I'll be looking for a deal on some Seregetti driver's glasses now.

The markup on glasses is ridiculous ... my bifocals were $600 at my optician, and about $80 from Goggles4you.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived