CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Magnetic Ride Problem on 2006 DTS Solved

Texas Jim

It was an easy fix....

I traded the 2006 Performance Sedan for a 2011 White Diamond, DTS Platinum. ... LOL LOL

We had to drive 175 miles west of Fort Worth to get it.

2011 Platinum models are very very hard to find in this area and when one does come up for sale, it is gone QUICK.

I called the sales manager and told him we were on the way to look at it and he promised to hold it till we got there.

After reading a "LOT" of stuff about Mag Ride on several other forums including late model Corvette forums and late model Escalade forums, (which use the same MAG RIDE system)... my conclusion was the shocks had been going bad for quite some time, but slowly... and I had become accustomed to the progressive rougher ride.

It was gonna cost me about $1000 bucks to fix it right...

And if the back shocks are now bad, how long till the front struts will need replacing??

The front struts are even more expensive than the rear shocks.

The Air Conditioned seats quit working a few weeks ago...

It needed the computer module and wiring harness connector underneath the passengers seat replaced.

That means completely removing the passengers seat, replacing the module, splicing all the wires from the new connector to the existing wires and then replacing everything.

That's another $800 bucks.

A little while back, the speaker quit working in the drivers side rear door.

I replaced the speaker with a new one, but it still didn't work.

That means there is a problem in the wiring or one channel in the AMP is bad... either way it was going to cost some fairly serious money to fix properly.

I decided that if I could find a nice Platinum, and if I could get a halfway decent price for the 2006 I would just put the money I would spend fixing the 2006 towards buying the 2011.

So...... that's what I did yesterday afternoon.

Love it so far.... It has even more bells and whistles then the 2006 did.

Now it's RTFM time... :)

Sorry about writing a book... :)

Posted Image

Nice choice on the new car! Congatulations!

On the other forums, do they tell you just HOW these shocks fail? Why both would go at the same time is beyond me. Does the fluid just thicken up naturally over time? After years of agitation? What gives?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Jim,

Congrats on the new car! Post some pictures when you get a chance.

I wanted to attend the forum chat last night but had too much urgent work to complete prior to this morning.

RTFM - Read The Farkin' Manual?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim,

Congrats on the new car! Post some pictures when you get a chance.

I wanted to attend the forum chat last night but had too much urgent work to complete prior to this morning.

RTFM - Read The Farkin' Manual?

yep... that's exactly what it means... LOL

Posted Image

Nice fix! What engine runs under the hood in the DTS Platinum?

The High Performance NorthStar....

Same engine that was in the 1SE, Performance Models.

Posted Image

Nice choice on the new car! Congatulations!

On the other forums, do they tell you just HOW these shocks fail? Why both would go at the same time is beyond me. Does the fluid just thicken up naturally over time? After years of agitation? What gives?

No one ever explained exactly HOW they went bad, but the symptoms are a gradually harsher and harsher ride, till one day you realize, "My automobile did not used to ride near this rough"

The fix is replacing the shocks or struts depending on which end of the car it is.

I realize NOW that mine have been slowly going bad for at least a year, probably longer.

The new car, with the same MAG RIDE suspension setup, rides like a dream.

I wish I knew what happens INTERNALLY to cause them to do that.

I will ask at my dealer... but they are probably clueless as to the cause.

Posted Image

I wonder if it has to do with the magnets and the oil.

The solution to this problem was let someone else deal with it lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I wonder if it has to do with the magnets and the oil.

The solution to this problem was let someone else deal with it lol

Yep... I could have put a lot of money in the 2006 but it wouldn't have been worth any more AFTER I spent the money on that it was BEFORE I spent the money on it.

I figured a better use for the money was using it to buy a new car... LOL

Posted Image

My son has white Infiniti sedan. BF Had black one, 08 model. Says black looks cool. Till yesterday. He has a white 2012 model now. We are going to car show tomorrow. I can check out its ride.

I will ask at my dealer... but they are probably clueless as to the cause

And probably want to remain so. If Cadillac is serious about wanting to sell more cars, something like this should be covered under warranty. It sounds like known issue with MR shocks.

I will ask at my dealer... but they are probably clueless as to the cause

And probably want to remain so. If Cadillac is serious about wanting to sell more cars, something like this should be covered under warranty.

It sounds like known issue with MR shocks.

I agree...

On the truck and Corvette forums... some of them are having trouble within a couple of years...

Mine took about six or seven to start giving trouble.

Some of them are getting theirs fixed under warranty... some of them are having to dig in their pocket to pay for new shocks.

I am gonna keep a lot closer eye on THIS one...

At the first hint of trouble, it will be back to the dealer.

Posted Image

The magnetic ride shocks were supposed to be the answer to the unreliable RSS/CVRSS shocks/struts that gave so much trouble with their failed actuators. I guess that's why I prefer the passive suspensions - I don't like shelling out $1000+ when shocks wear out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The magnetic ride shocks were supposed to be the answer to the unreliable RSS/CVRSS shocks/struts that gave so much trouble with their failed actuators. I guess that's why I prefer the passive suspensions - I don't like shelling out $1000+ when shocks wear out.

And I turned around and bought another one with MAG RIDE... LOL LOL LOL

Posted Image

Well,,, I was going to. This may have changed all of that. So much for the ELR, CTS Vsport, XTS platinum, etc. etc.

My next one will probably have magnetic ride too.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well,,, I was going to. This may have changed all of that. So much for the ELR, CTS Vsport, XTS platinum, etc. etc.

But I did get eight years and 140,000 miles from them before any issues.

I think that's pretty good service from shocks.

And more than a few of those 140,000 miles was over some of the NOT THE BEST ROADS and quite a few of the miles were made in a pretty rapid manner... LOL

With that being said... I absolutely love the control and smoothness you have with the MAG RIDE vs the regular suspension.

Posted Image

Nice upgrade Jim! I "only" have 125k on my -02 STS and it has Magna-ride too. They still seem fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will work another 50-100k at least. ;)

Yes the shocks are very expensive to replace but I absolutely agree with you that they really help to keep the tires planted to the ground when needed. I once did a reasonably fast lane change because of garbage on the road at about 120 mph and that would have been darn near impossible with conventional shocks but the tires didn't even squeal! I usually don't drive that fast of course, but this was a perfect one mile stretch without any traffic and perfect weather and perfect vision so I just couldn't resist doing some WOT-treatment. I wouldn't even have considered that stunt with other shocks but after over 100k with Magna-ride I was certain that they would cope.

I'm sure that you'll get +100k miles without any problems from the new car!

At 120 mph, tire and suspension dynamics are very different from about 80 mph and below. Without ESC, it's a bit like a boat, and a sudden steering input like a lane change can become unrecoverable. Stabilitrak makes it all doable.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Stabilitrak probably engaged for a sec or so but not long enough to turn the "Stability system engaged" message on. The dampers firmed the ride up and made the maneuver firm with a minimum of body roll. Incredible! If I would have used the brakes on the other hand, then Stabilitrak would have been a certain necessity because of a resulting high force on the left front wheel coming from the combined brake force and g-force

Archived