CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 08 DTS with it's new top

:bluesbrothers:

Magnificent!!!

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Nice. wish I could find someone to put a new top on my 96 Deville. It is in poor shape unfortunatly

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Nice. wish I could find someone to put a new top on my 96 Deville. It is in poor shape unfortunatly

There is a place near me, in Rome, that does vinyl tops. I'm having them replace the one on my car this summer. It's called Wilcove Rockford Auto. Their reputation is great, and prices are very reasonable as well.

big4870885.jpg

saw 2 late model camaro/firebird convertibles at junkyard yesterday. excellent tops. no tears or rips. rest of car looked bad though. both were V6 cars.

Most of those faux-convertible tops are put on by the dealers. Find out who your local dealer uses for this and see if they will replace yours, and how much they will charge. Also, I did a web search on "car vinyl roof" and got some promising links, some of which suggested that a body shop that does interior and upholstery work will likely also do vinyl roof repair and replacement.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

WHY do people do that to their cars? Do they think it makes a four-door sedan look like a convertible or even a little sportier? Really? Maybe The Emperor's New Clothes needs a reread? This version of peer pressure has given us well-named "spoilers", opera windows, bumper guards, fake hood scoops and chrome exhaust tips for Cripe's sake....... NONE of them are an improvement and all of them are BAD ideas !!!!! NO! That Caddy does NOT look better with a rag on its roof and this forum should allow for honesty and good vision with no fear of retribution.

I say it is nice to see something different, to an extent. my top is a nice touch. it is a fleet model with limo provisions

GM FAN FOREVER

WHY do people do that to their cars? Do they think it makes a four-door sedan look like a convertible or even a little sportier? Really? Maybe The Emperor's New Clothes needs a reread? This version of peer pressure has given us well-named "spoilers", opera windows, bumper guards, fake hood scoops and chrome exhaust tips for Cripe's sake....... NONE of them are an improvement and all of them are BAD ideas !!!!! NO! That Caddy does NOT look better with a rag on its roof and this forum should allow for honesty and good vision with no fear of retribution.

In my opinion...being a member here for a few years...

We have always been for honesty.

I am not sure what your definition of "GOOD VISION" is... so I can't speak for THAT...at this time without further clarification from "YOU"

I realize that you gave your "OPINION" as "FACT"... which it is not... but I will leave that for another time.

I do have a couple of questions...

Why were bumper guards (according to you)... a "BAD" ides?

Back in the day of big Chrome bumpers and bumper guards, the bumper guards were easy and cheap to replace... relative to replacing an entire bumper.

They did exactly what the name implied... they "GUARDED" the "BUMPER" from damage.

Another question... I have owned a few Fleetwood Broughams with the "BAD" Opera Windows.

Can you please tell me why they were so BAD??

I always thought they were "GOOD" because they gave me a little more visibility to the rear and to the side of the automobile.

Another question....

Except that you obviously don't like them... why are Chrome exhaust tips a "BAD IDEA" ??

Personally, I think they look pretty darn good sticking out of the back of my Cadillac DTS.

Posted Image

I am not a real big fan of vinyl tops either, but I sure would not force that opinion on anyone. I always felt they put vinyl tops on limos to cover up the roof splices and any wrinkles from the extra body twisting. Anyway, if your happy with it that is all that counts.

I hope we are not getting into the facebook war of words again. The remark by itself would be fine in its own thread. My objection is when it is put out in response to something someone has spent time and or money on and is obviously proud of! Then it seems as a personal put down. That should not be acceptable in a HELP forum

Looks great man. A new top is as good as new paint I say :) Plus its less paint you need to wax and polish!! I just got a new top put on my old deville. Its convertible material with trim like a convertible so I know one guy in this topic hates it but I love this look. I think its really classy looking. You only see e&g type tops on cadillacs, lincolns, some buicks and thats about it. So if it was on a camaro I would have to say it looks wrong. But I love the shell tops on the fleetwoods and all that stuff :) I had the option to put the bars across the top under the material to look more like a convertible but I dont think that fools anyone and I like the smooth look. Im not trying to look like a convertible, it just looks classy to me :) Heres a pic

1011776.jpg

1011778.jpg

Cost was $750 and this guy is a pro, but vinyl would be alot cheaper since this was done in the expensive stayfast convertible material. For anyone looking to redo their top just research interior/top shops and GET IT DONE! :yupi3ti:

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

very good to know. I love the top on my deville and especially the opera lighting. it is vinyl and although quite soft it has alot of cracks

post-12985-130068605013_thumb.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Thanks for the complements. I'm of course not trying to make it look like a convertible...Just a little class. My mom had vinyl tops on her cars and it was just an extra touch.

Side note, I wish that I could locate my old account on here. I'm sure it is long gone as I could not locate it 2 years ago when I created this one..Oh well.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I am not a real big fan of vinyl tops either, but I sure would not force that opinion on anyone. I always felt they put vinyl tops on limos to cover up the roof splices and any wrinkles from the extra body twisting. Anyway, if your happy with it that is all that counts.

second part of your statement is correct. padded roofs are required to conceal the twisting that inhearantly occurs during turns with the added length of the vehicle.

My opinion... all those little extras add a little style to the car. besides if I didn't appreciate these little add-ons, I'd be driving a Camcord. - (Camry/Accord)

I suppose my leather seats are just imitating a limo too so I should get rid of those. Anyone with tinted windows arent fooling anyone either, their car is not a limo.

I suppose my leather seats are just imitating a limo too so I should get rid of those.

Anyone with tinted windows arent fooling anyone either, their car is not a limo.

Hey...I have 10% LIMO TINT on the rear window...don't THAT count?? :P

Posted Image

I'm not a big fan of them myself, but I think that one looks pretty good. Some are just down right fugly, some very sharp looking. What counts is that you like it. I had a Seville and an Eldorado with the carriage top. The Seville looked really sharp..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I suppose my leather seats are just imitating a limo too so I should get rid of those.

Anyone with tinted windows arent fooling anyone either, their car is not a limo.

I've got 10% on all but front windshield.

Excuse the potentially dumb question but after googling I am still unable to identify what Opera Lighting is.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

well mine has the carraige top and supposedly the lights on the back doors between the quarter window and side windows are the opera lights. It is weird to me because I have yet to see another with these lights. My tint looks like 60 or 70% on all windows but the front. But it came like that when I bought it. Dont know what it was factory. but I cant find any seams or splits

GM FAN FOREVER

I've got 10% on all but front windshield.

Excuse the potentially dumb question but after googling I am still unable to identify what Opera Lighting is.

Opera lighting is small accent lights. Typical aftermarket opera lighting for a Deville with aftermarket vinyl tip will include backlighting the Cadillac emblem in the B-pillar. Sometimes a small light is added in the chrome trim below the door handle. I don't know if Cadillac uses factory opera lighting or not; I'm not a Deville person.

0318111630.jpg

if25wx.jpg

11wftxk.jpg

Opera lights were a big 80s thing.

Here you can see them on the coupe devilles, fleetwood coupes and 4 doors. The 4 door they were on the B pillar.

2IMG_8214%20(Large).JPG

They also came on a very select few Buick regals in the 80s.

Archived