CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 08 DTS with it's new top

They were also a popular option on 70's Fleetwoods and d'Elegance models...my 76 Fleetwood Brougham has them, they were optional. My 77 Lincoln Town Car had them on the B pillar.. What is the age group here that doesn't know about opera lamps???? :unsure::blink::huh:

look1-1-1.jpg

They were also a popular option on 70's Fleetwoods and d'Elegance models...my 76 Fleetwood Brougham has them, they were optional. My 77 Lincoln Town Car had them on the B pillar.. What is the age group here that doesn't know about opera lamps???? :unsure::blink::huh:

mmmmmmmm 76 fleetwood :wub:

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

has anyone ever seen any in the 90s. mine is a 96, top looks original, and if i remember right the opera lights are 110 and not 12 volts.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I guess that I am in that age group that did not know the name for it. I remember when I was younger my mother bought a 1984 Buick Riviera and it had the "R" emblem on both sides of the vinyl top and they were back lit.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

has anyone ever seen any in the 90s. mine is a 96, top looks original, and if i remember right the opera lights are 110 and not 12 volts.

It is very possible that your top is still original.

I had a 1980 Sedan deVille (bought it new) that I sold in 2001 that still had the original top.

Had a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham deElegence (bought new) and sold in 2002 that still had the original top.

Twice a year I rubbed Johnsons baby oil into the vinyl top.

After a through cleaning of course. :)

Both of the vinyl tops still looked almost like BRAND NEW.

And you are right... the Opera Lights do run on 110 volts from an inverter.

Posted Image

Terribly sorry, I stand corrected on the 12V/110V opera lamps... :blush:

Hey... no biggie...

It is a strange setup and most people have never heard of it.

I wasn't trying to correct you... I was just agreeing with rockfangd... :)

Posted Image

The Broughams had the opra lamps (or coach lamps) through 1992 and they were powered by 110V from an inverter. The Earlier cars had 12V lights in the opra lamps. I think the Fleetwoods started to have the 110V lights around 1980 or 1981 but the Devilles kept the 12V lights through the 1984 RWD platform.

Some of the Devilles in the 1990-1993 period had backlit cadillac emblems on the C-pillar (sail panel).

The 110V lights were a bit problematic - they looked nice because they were the same intensity and didn't have the bright spot where the 12V models had the bulb. The problem was the inverter that converted the 12VDC to 110VAC to run the lights. If the inverters went bad, they would burn out the opra lights and the 110V lights were very expensive - $100 each if I recall plus the cost of the inverter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So Ive never seen any that actually work. Do they work when the door opens or are they on all the time with the headlights or what?

So Ive never seen any that actually work. Do they work when the door opens or are they on all the time with the headlights or what?

They work when the lights are on.

Posted Image

So what was the reason for 110v lights? Were they brighter? That is really strange.

So what was the reason for 110v lights? Were they brighter? That is really strange.

They used a strip of electroluminescent film inside the light for an UNIFORM, EVEN light from top to bottom.

Using bulbs gave bright spots where the bulbs were.

Posted Image

They used a strip of electroluminescent film inside the light for an UNIFORM, EVEN light from top to bottom.

Using bulbs gave bright spots where the bulbs were.

you are 100% right. looks like a bar of light. works with the parking lights, therefore flashes with my RKE

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived