CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dextron VI transmission fluid

skyman

Just made an appointment to change transmission fluid and filter. Mechanic says that there is a tech bullitin that says not to use Dextron III anymore but to use the Dextron VI instead. Has anyone heard of this?

The Dexron 6 is backward compatable with Dexron 3 but you could still use Dexron 3 in your 2005 car. The Dexron 6 is more expensive than the Dexron 3.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The older transmissions that use Dexron III work better and longer with Dexron VI. That's why GM discontinued Dexron III and did not renew licenses to produce it after 2006. Some manufacturers still make what they call something like Dexron III, i.e. formulated to meet the Dexron III specifications, but they can't call it that. Apparently the TB is intended to tell the dealers to quit using it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just made an appointment to change transmission fluid and filter. Mechanic says that there is a tech bullitin that says not to use Dextron III anymore but to use the Dextron VI instead. Has anyone heard of this?

For longer transmission life, be sure to change all the fluid and not just what is in the transmission pan.

a 1991 eldo would have a 4t60e trans? i suppose a 20yr old car must be doing something right if it still is moving? any dexron fluid should work in that trans.

His thread title says ... 2005 DeVille... but his profile says 91 Eldo...

I changed mine last week in my 2006... I used Bexron Vl.

Posted Image

a 1991 eldo would have a 4t60e trans? i suppose a 20yr old car must be doing something right if it still is moving? any dexron fluid should work in that trans.

Sorry for the confusion. Just updated vehcle in my profile. Reluctantly I traded the 91 in on a 2005.

Sorry for the confusion. Just updated vehcle in my profile. Reluctantly I traded the 91 in on a 2005.

Just curious....why Reluctantly??

Posted Image

This GM Techlink article is why I recommend that you do a flush and replace Dexron III with Dexron VI:

Scroll down the article to the plot of test data, showing that use of Dexron VI gives a 120% improvement in clutch durability - that's 2.2 times the number of shifts - than Dexron III.

There are those here who vehemently oppose a flush for various reasons, so if you want to do it yourself and not have the tranny flushed, use the DIY method of extra gallons of Dexron VI on the intake side of the transmission cooler line while draining it out of the other line. Or, pick your method. But, Dexron VI will extend the life of the 4T80E

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Just curious....why Reluctantly??

Loved the 91 Eldo. I kept it looking and running great but family "daughter" pressure to buy something newer since I travel a bit and the winters in upstate NY can be brutal sometimes. I ran across the 05 at a local Caddy dealer and the price was right and it did have more creature comforts than the 91 Eldo and it only had 46,000 miles and the 91 had 160,000. Also now that my circle of friends is getting older, the four door is easier for passengers to get in and out of.

I put Dexron VI in my 99 and I'm slowly converting every vehicle over to it. It's supposed to handle warmer temps better and not break down as quickly. I read on the bottle that it's ok to mix with Dexron III, but I did the cooler line exchange to get it all out. I haven't noticed any driveability differences, but I wasn't expecting to either. I used the Supertech Dexron VI from Walmart. Go ahead and judge me :P , but it has to be made to GM specs if the name is on it, right?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

I put Dexron VI in my 99 and I'm slowly converting every vehicle over to it. It's supposed to handle warmer temps better and not break down as quickly. I read on the bottle that it's ok to mix with Dexron III, but I did the cooler line exchange to get it all out. I haven't noticed any driveability differences, but I wasn't expecting to either. I used the Supertech Dexron VI from Walmart. Go ahead and judge me :P , but it has to be made to GM specs if the name is on it, right?

I like the Castrol brand. I've always used their oil. I'm doing a full fluid exchange..not just the dump and refill.

I like the Castrol brand. I've always used their oil. I'm doing a full fluid exchange..not just the dump and refill.

Had the flkuid changed on Thursday with the new dextronVI and I have noticed smoother upshifts.

If you read the details in the GM TechLink article you will see that the viscosity and other shift-quality-related properties of Dexron VI are more stable with temperature than those of Dexron III. That may account for the better feel of the shifts.

There is no, "T", in, "Dexron". Look at the bottle. :)

Yeah, I called it Dextron myself for years. But, it's Dexron.

Dear Made...eat my shorts :>)

Dear Made...eat my shorts :>)

Is that listed on the bottle too? :)

You see MADE.... your arrogant attitude gets you in trouble again, there was no need to SLAM this member for such a small insignificant issue. The condescending "Read the Bottle" statement caps it off.

You might be a GM tech, a BFG tire expert, an oil expert and a mechanical genius, but your presentation is arrogant and it transmits a bad feeling. My own son communicates like you with a poor delivery.

Try to read your threads BEFORE you hit POST and take the attitude and arrogance out of it. My posts at times can also be arrogant if my buttons are pushed.

It is my impression that you have something to offer, if that is the case and you want to help try polishing your delivery skills.

Please tell us a little about yourself.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

There is a lot of tall timber in this forest.

You see MADE.... your arrogant attitude gets you in trouble again, there was no need to SLAM this member for such a small insignificant issue. The condescending "Read the Bottle" statement caps it off.

You might be a GM tech, a BFG tire expert, an oil expert and a mechanical genius, but your presentation is arrogant and it transmits a bad feeling. My own son communicates like you with a poor delivery.

Try to read your threads BEFORE you hit POST and take the attitude and arrogance out of it. My posts at times can also be arrogant if my buttons are pushed.

It is my impression that you have something to offer, if that is the case and you want to help try polishing your delivery skills.

Sir, there is no, "arrogant attitude", or, "bad feeling", with a --> :), which I clearly made, twice. Okay. :) If I may suggest, you may be getting a bit over-sensitive. This is a text forum and text many times doesn't convey, "feelings", very well and can be easily misinterpreted, (as you have done with me). :):):)

Sir, there is no, "arrogant attitude", or, "bad feeling", with a --> :), which I clearly made, twice. Okay. :) If I may suggest, you may be getting a bit over-sensitive. This is a text forum and text many times doesn't convey, "feelings", very well and can be easily misinterpreted, (as you have done with me). :) :) :)

Not my thread...but...

Mike is NOT being "OVER SENSITIVE"..

You corrected the man's spelling when it served absolutely NO PURPOSE WHAT SO EVER... except to try to make you look superior to him.

My question is "WHY?"

You were not contributing anything...except being an AS$.

We don't really need a Captain Correcto that goes around telling people how to spell.

And to go along with what Mike said... to me it DID come across as very arrogant and condescending...

Posted Image

Do you think it's okay to use Supertech Dexron VI?

I'm going to exchange the fluid in my 99 Silverado and my 93 Sixty Special and I was just going to grab that. Think it's fine?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

If the product uses the words Dexron VI it is probably licensed through GM to meet the specifications listed. Read the label, I'm sure it will state that somewhere in the text. I believe the biggest difference between the old Dexron III and VI is that Dexron VI is pure synthetic and with that is superior to the fluid it replaces.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Supertech fluid is fine if it meets the requirements of Dexron 6. Whatever happened to Dexron 4 and Dexron 5?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived