CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Goose is "Back in Black!"

sprucegoose

Wow, hard to believe it's been over 5 years since the last Eldo (the famed Sprucegoose) was ripped out from under me by that stinkin' hit-run driver. I'm sure some of the long-timers remember that sad day... I have thoroughly enjoyed modding and cruising in my '98 Riviera since then, but always felt the longing for another Caddy. Well tonight I finally made the move and bought a super clean Eldorado I found on Craigslist (great resource for so many good buys for me!)

So smooth cruising down the highway and of course nothing like the WOT you know! Boy did I have a smile on my face when I felt that pull on my way home tonight! :D

She needs a couple areas of attention, A/C needs recharge, front tires and alignment, and just a little TLC and she'll be good to go! 103K miles on the ticker. I want to flush the cooling system right away and treat with the Bars tablets and detail under the hood right away. Probably thow some new AC plugs in her too... One of my first mods has to be those Dynomax mufflers again. I sure have missed that raspy snarl of the Northstar breathing though those! :P

Almost hate to get rid of my Riv as she is so clean and looking/sounding good with the new Dynomax muffs and stainless tips. With 230K on it (all original motor, supercharger and trans) she is definitely beating the odds. I may end up passing it down to my daughter who a senior in college now.

All for now, but I'll see if I can take some pictures and post tomorrow. Glad to be back on Caddyinfo forums once again! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Congrats! What year is it? Consider NGK plugs instead of ACDelco.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling pretty stoked today, especially having the day off to play with the new ride! :D

It's a 1998 std coupe. Was hoping for an ETC this time, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. For $2,900 I didn't want this one to slip away! :hatsoff:

So why the NGK plugs adallak? I have always had the best luck with the OEM AC delco plugs in all my trusty GM's. Certainly like to hear your views on this though...

Also noted the new look since I had last visited the site. I need some hlep finding the area to update my signature line. Any clues? :unsure:

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Hey Welcome Back! If I recall you had just replaced the muffler system before the accident. Glad you found a nice one

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hey Welcome Back! If I recall you had just replaced the muffler system before the accident. Glad you found a nice one

Hey thanks, great to be back!

Yes, your memory serves you correct! That was the best modification I ever did on the ol' Goose. It sounded so nice and looked fantastic with those new tips. I had also just replaced the tired old cat-convert also with a high-flow one from Summit. It really barked when you gave her the juice, but had a nice low rumble at cruising speed.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Congrats! What year is it? Consider NGK plugs instead of ACDelco.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling pretty stoked today, especially having the day off to play with the new ride! :D

It's a 1998 std coupe. Was hoping for an ETC this time, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. For $2,900 I didn't want this one to slip away! :hatsoff:

So why the NGK plugs adallak? I have always had the best luck with the OEM AC delco plugs in all my trusty GM's. Certainly like to hear your views on this though...

Also noted the new look since I had last visited the site. I need some hlep finding the area to update my signature line. Any clues? :unsure:

$2,900 is indeed a good deal. Too many people complain about missing pads on ACDelco Platinum. That causes missfire. As far as I remember, you had slotted rotors on your previous Eldo. Have yo retained them for your next Cadillac? :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for supplying the links Mike. Helped refresh my memory on what I had posted about those sujects. Man, that accident situation really sucked that day!

I'll have to check out the NGK plugs before I go replacing the stockers. Pulled one plug this a.m. and it looked fairly fresh, so I may wait a while now.

Actually, I cross-drilled the rotors myself on a CNC machine at work. Here is a link to that project

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/suspension-brakes-tires/21338-custom-cross-drilling-rotors-painting-calipers.html

Unfortunatley those went with the Goose when I sold it also along with the Silverstar lamps, SLS rims and new tires, Gorilla tuner-style lug nuts and a host of other stuff I should have stripped off!

Welcome back.

I remember when you posted pictures of your Riviera.

Nice car ... not a Cadillac, but nice ride.

How was the reliability on the 3.8L supercharged motor?

I know my mom's Regal GS was pretty thirsty in town.

Nice kick in the pants when the boost came on.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new car.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Welcome back.

I remember when you posted pictures of your Riviera.

Nice car ... not a Cadillac, but nice ride.

How was the reliability on the 3.8L supercharged motor?

I know my mom's Regal GS was pretty thirsty in town.

Nice kick in the pants when the boost came on.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new car.

Thanks again for the welcome back guys! I will miss the Riv when she's gone, but I love the Eldo so much better already. The reliability of the Gen II 3.8 was great though. 230K on it and motor, trans and supercharger are all original yet. I am very religious about all the maintenance though and that really helps. I change the supercharger oil every 25K for piece of mind for example...

I recently had to put exhaust, rear shocks, front hubs and tie-rod ends but that is about it. Brakes and tires of course... It got about 22-24 mpg but most of that was highway. The boost was nice, but nothing like the pull of the Northstar or my 2.0 Turbo in my HHR SS.

Sorry no pics of the Eldo yet, but it is dirty form the rain when I picked her up and we are flying out tonight to go to Myrtle Beach for a week vacation. I do have a couple cell phone pics I can post later perhaps, but they are nothing special!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted any photos yet... I have been so busy since I got back from vacation I haven't even washed the new ride yet! That's very unusual for me! ^_^

I figured I might as well at least put these cell phone pictures up here until I get the time and good weather to clean her up good. I have been very happy with my purchase so far, and think I got a great deal. Anyone who sees it can't believe I paid just $2,900 for her!

So far I replaced that nagging broken fron swaybar link and rotated tires... it rides so much quieter now. drained and refilled the coolant with the pellets and now working on getting the rear defrost going and drivers side heated seat. Soon I'll be all set for the WI winter! :D

98Eldo.jpg

98Eldorear.jpg

That is a beauty, how did you find it?

Very nice!

I think BBF is envious that he missed seeing this triple black beauty:)

Looks similar to Warren's 1997 Eldorado.

Love the chrome cookie cutters ... had them on my 95 STS. As I recall, lots of chrome

to shammy dry!

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

:lol: Its a beauty!

That is a beauty, how did you find it?

Thanks Mike! :D

Craigslist... I have found more deals (and actually sold many things including 2 cars) there. It is a wonderful tool and costs nothing. I far prefer that over Ebay now unless it is a very rare item that you need to search nationwide. Milw. is a pretty big metro area so I can usually find tires, tools, parts and other things quite readily. I just bought a super nice John Deere lawn tractor on there last weekend also, for about half the cost of what a dealer would have charged. ;)

Very nice!

I think BBF is envious that he missed seeing this triple black beauty:)

Looks similar to Warren's 1997 Eldorado.

Love the chrome cookie cutters ... had them on my 95 STS. As I recall, lots of chrome

to shammy dry!

Yes, all that black certainly gives it a rich look! I love the black interior with the wood. It looks great! I need to clean up those rims a little as there is some slight surface rust in the area between the spokes.

I actually had a slight advantage over other potential buyers as he had his mom's 95 Eldo up for sale a couple months earlier. I looked at it but wasn't too impressed. Less miles (74K) but it needed a lot of front end work and he wanted 3K for it. He told me he'd be sellin' his dad's 98 in a while also for about the same price. I let him know I wanted to look at it as soon as he had it available so I knew right away when he listed it. Bought it the first day he had it on there before anyone could snap it away from me! :hatsoff:

Finally got her washed up and took a few pictures today. Beautiful day to be out for a ride in the country and into town! :yupi3ti:

Drove out to covered bridge, my favorite photo spot! Still not in all the beautiful fall colors yet...

CoveredBridge_Eldo.JPG

Cruised into town and stopped at the local winery for a couple of bottles of vino! :P

Cedar_Creek_Eldo.JPG

And resting peacefully in the driveway! :D

Eldo_drive.JPG

Okay, Okay you got me! I am looking for an Eldo now! lol Beautiful car! :D :D :D

Oh no! id didn't want to post those pictures at someone elses expense! :)

Thanks guys, I sure love being back in the Cadillac Club again! I do notice the rear sits slightly lower than my '93 did though. I think I'm going to tweak the ride height sensors and raise it up a little. I definitely want to show off that new exhaust once that's installed! LOL

Archived