CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The '94 is no more

Barry94

Hi,

It's been awhile since posting here. The '94 STS had been working so well over the past few years that I have gotten away from the forum.

I have sold the '94 and replaced it with a 2008 STS Northstar.

I had not intended to do this now, however a local dealer had the '08 on the lot for quite some time. In February, after about a day of negotiations, we came to an agreement. (A deal I could not refuse)

The intent was to drive the '94 until Spring and keep the '08 in the garage. Well, this was a good plan and lasted about three weeks.

My wife and I were out shopping, (with the '94), when we were approached by a young man who showed great interest in the '94.

He asked "would you consider selling it", I gave him a reluctant yes, and explained about the '08, and waiting until spring. He understood, however said, name a price to sell it now. I gave him a price, and we came to an agreement. So, now he owns a '94 STS.

We then drove the truck up to about a month ago.

The main reason for this post is to give the initial feelings about a '08 STS vs a '94 STS.

The '08 STS is a N*, 21,000mi, with the 1SE - luxury package, Crystal Red paint with light Grey interior. 17" polished wheels, 6 speed automatic.

Options of interest.....

Rainsense wiper,

Bose 8 Spkr, 6 CD changer,

Heated seats, Front and Rear,

Backup assist,

Heated steering wheel.

Interior.....

Feels smaller that the '94, having more of a "cockpit" feel.

Seats are firmer, however more comfortable. Gauge/dash layout is very good.

Performance....

Feels "stronger" than the '94, (25 more HP). The six speed keeps you in the power band.

Stopping....

The brakes are much, much better than the '94, smoother and easier. Even though they are the standard brakes, they work very well.

I have not "pushed" the brakes to see their fade point.

Suspension....

With sub frame ('94) vs uni-body ('08) there are differences.

On a smooth highway, the '08 has it all over the '94 for ride and interior noise. The '08 is extremely quiet at highway speeds.

On a worn highway, (worn asphalt, lots of aggregate exposed), there is more noise transmitted to the cabin with the '08.

Bumps, humps, cracks, pot holes, the '08 is much more solid.

On the '94, I went through (like most) the tire shake/vibration thing. I had the vibrations in '94 mostly gone by doing a number of fixes.

However, the '94 was always "ready" to give a shake over a bump, or on a very smooth road.

The '08, exhibits absolutely no tendency for vibration on any road surface, a completely different feel than the '94, very solid and smooth.

Handling/cornering.....

No comparison, '08 is miles ahead, and I don't have any of the the performance items available on the '08. (brakes, 18" tires, springs, etc)

I can only imagine that the handling package adds even more.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased with the '08.

Just thought I would share.

Thanks, Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Makes you think though dont it? If 15 years ago your STS felt the same as the 08 does now. Solid and smooth back then, but over time everything loosens up. The parts rattle and creak, the seats soften up and wear away. Go find a high mileage 05 STS that has been through alot and I bet its not smooth and solid either. Time and miles definately show on cars no matter what you do...

Enjoy the 08 while shes still a young-in :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

congrats on your new sts I have an'02 and a '94. I've been curious about the 2005 and up for some time now.Maybe it's time to sell off the old doll...

look1-1-1.jpg

Congratulations and Good Luck Barry

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the very detailed driving impression. I like the Sigma platform very well, and keep watching the STS market for my next Cadillac.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

parked next to a new STS4 w/3.6DI today. yes i would love a new STS. great to hear folks here eventually move up and buy newer cars.

Congratulations Barry, on your new car. :yupi3ti:

Thanks for the detailed driving impressions.

I always enjoy reading what someone else thinks.

I looked at, and drove, a 2006 STS before I bought my DTS.

I had the same feeling you describe of the driving position.

One reason I went with the DTS was the more "OPEN" feeling to it.

Again...congratulations and enjoy your new car.

Drop in more often and update us on how it is doing.

Posted Image

Congrats! And thanks for the detailed driving impression. I'll hopefully be in the market for a newer car soon. I have a settlement pending. I'm still trying to make up my mind...get a bigger house? Or buy a new Caddy? It's a really tough decision... I'm still not going to part with my Eldo though. biggrin.gif

big4870885.jpg

Congratulations! Great Buy!

When I compare my former '94 Eldorado to my '05 STS I find the same things as you, however, I must say I'm not particularly keen on the stiff seats. I need to buy a lumbar support of some kind because the lumbar support in the seat is almost unnoticeable.

Congratulations! Great Buy!

When I compare my former '94 Eldorado to my '05 STS I find the same things as you, however, I must say I'm not particularly keen on the stiff seats. I need to buy a lumbar support of some kind because the lumbar support in the seat is almost unnoticeable.

Lumbar support can be a very individual requirement. A few years ago, our company upgraded some of the chairs in the office and we tried several different brands of "ergonomic" chairs. We quickly found that there were many different lumbar requirements between each of the employees. A chair that was perfect for some, could not be adjusted to give support to others.

In the end we purchased different brands of chairs to fit the different lumbar requirements.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Congratulations Barry!

I had a -93 STS and a -88 Eldo. Compared to my -02 STS they are very different cars. All of them had a special feeling.

Differences in interior/exterior, hp, handling, gearing etc. etc. made them very different compared to each other. I have loved all of them and I'm sure that my life would have been dull without them.

My next car will be a RWD Seville, love them too :)

Archived