CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

It's time for me to go

JimD

After five+ years on this iteration of caddy.info and several years participating on the previous locations, the time for me to move on down the road has arrived. It is not possible for me to express my gratitude to the countless previous posters who contributed valuable, positive technical insight to my understanding of the various systems of the '98 - 04 Sevilles.

But there is no space in my life for opinions and victimology.

Thanks to Bruce for providng a true public service forum.

Mike, I have enjoyed our chats (and thanks again for the Bon Ami Cleaning Powder).

It's been a fun ride, but me and my high-mileage Seville will be chasing the sunset.

Ciao.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD,

I truly hate to see you go.

The last few days...especially...have turned into a lot of whining and OPINIONS...not much FACTS.

I have just been tuning most of it out...

Sooner or later..(I hope sooner)..."This Too Shall Pass."

Good luck and I hope you enjoy what ever endeavors you undertake.

Don't completely forget about us.

Posted Image

Jim, this is truely a sad day, I feel I am losing a brother. I spoke to our old friend BobD yesterday, and he gave me some very upsetting news, so yesterday was a very sad day for me.

We have been here a long time, and much of the same issues, problems, trolls, malcontents, know-it-alls, etc are recycled over and over. I recall the guru saying that it gets tiring and I understand that now. We have covered the same problems over and over and over ad nauseum .

I was telling my wife that we have a new malcontent last night, I said they come in once in a while, but the board stands up as we are enthusiasts and they are eventually shut down. It gets tiring.

I wish you good luck, and if I can help you in ANY way, PLEASE let me know. If you ever get to the northeast, give me a holler, and I will intercept you. If I recall your Mom's 100th birthday is coming soon and you will be coming north, am I correct?

Thank you for all of your indepth analysis, testing, expertise and most of all your patience. I am hoping that you will reconsider once you are away for awhile, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Jim

Don't let the malcontents ruin it for you or get you down. I would hope that you will at most take a break and then come back to the forum. There have been times where I have not posted for a while then eventually chime in. Sometimes we all need a break from the day-to-day routine.

Mike

Sorry to hear; please do stay in touch. I know people get invested in the discussion and then distressed with some content. I tend to be pretty thick skinned,

but for those of you staying yes, this is a Cadillac ENTHUSIAST site, so while we do encourage first person experience and truth, we have a low tolerance for "I hate [GM, Cadillac, American cars]".

Just got a 3+ month project wrapped up, so hopefully I can spend more time online. Just in time for a flood of spam blogs as it turned out.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I hate for you to go JimD. I havent been on here long but you have been great. If replies can get you to stay, here is mine. Stay, you are very appreciated

Couldn't understand what you where talking about and why you where leaving. After reading a little farther I understand. Truly sorry to see you go Jim. Gonna miss you.

Perhaps we should consider a policy for dealing with problem posters. I'm thinking of two on the heal-a-seal thread; one is incorrigible and the other actually is a Caddy owner but is no enthusiast. The simplest measures short of banning by the moderators are, in order of simplicity,

• Removal of offensive posts.
  • Enabling Kharma, where users vote to increase or decrease Kharma; exceeding a threshold of negative Kharma flags the Moderator, who can then warn or ban that user, temporarily or permanently. Automated Kharma on some boards automatically temporarily bans the user, and negative Kharma times out at one star a day/week/month or whatever, so no action by the moderator is ever needed.
  • Add a private board and move rant threads there. They will be visible only to the original posters and others that the Moderator designates, such as Supporters or even selected individuals.
Disadvantages of removing posts include destroying the evidence and infuriating a user who is often already enraged, which can lead to escalation and then to ban of a potentially valuable future member. Disadvantages of Kharma include the possibility that miscreants can load up somebody with negative Kharma, possibly including even the Moderators. Disadvantages of private boards include that maintaining these are labor-intensive for the Moderators.

There is no simple, perfect solution. I do submit that loss of JimD is a red flag, and that we need to do something. Caddyinfo is unique in that it is a gentleman's forum, and that is arguably its biggest asset, along with the knowledge, experience, and helpfulness of its regulars.

But, we have lots of former Caddy owners who are vary valuable members of the board, such as Marika. I would like to see JimD around whenever he can. I pulled in my horns recently when events overcame me and I didn't have the time online, so I can understand that. But, JimD, come back when you can.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Perhaps we should consider a policy for dealing with problem posters. I'm thinking of two on the heal-a-seal thread; one is incorrigible and the other actually is a Caddy owner but is no enthusiast. The simplest measures short of banning by the moderators are, in order of simplicity,

• Removal of offensive posts.
  • Enabling Kharma, where users vote to increase or decrease Kharma; exceeding a threshold of negative Kharma flags the Moderator, who can then warn or ban that user, temporarily or permanently. Automated Kharma on some boards automatically temporarily bans the user, and negative Kharma times out at one star a day/week/month or whatever, so no action by the moderator is ever needed.
  • Add a private board and move rant threads there. They will be visible only to the original posters and others that the Moderator designates, such as Supporters or even selected individuals.
Disadvantages of removing posts include destroying the evidence and infuriating a user who is often already enraged, which can lead to escalation and then to ban of a potentially valuable future member. Disadvantages of Kharma include the possibility that miscreants can load up somebody with negative Kharma, possibly including even the Moderators. Disadvantages of private boards include that maintaining these are labor-intensive for the Moderators.

There is no simple, perfect solution. I do submit that loss of JimD is a red flag, and that we need to do something. Caddyinfo is unique in that it is a gentleman's forum, and that is arguably its biggest asset, along with the knowledge, experience, and helpfulness of its regulars.

But, we have lots of former Caddy owners who are vary valuable members of the board, such as Marika. I would like to see JimD around whenever he can. I pulled in my horns recently when events overcame me and I didn't have the time online, so I can understand that. But, JimD, come back when you can.

I'm in the dark as far as why Jim decided it was time to leave. Apparently it had to do with frustration over a combative poster. From time to time its going to happen where someone registers with Caddyinfo because he/she has a bone to pick with GM or Cadillac. When I see these posts I tend to ignore them. A few years back we had a long discussion about this issue. There were suggestions to ban combative posters while some wanted to let them express their opinions as long as they did not become personal. What one person feels is an offensive post, to another is just some person ranting.

All who have registered with Caddyinfo to just rant and rave have not lasted very long because they run into too many Cadillac enthusiasts who are knowledgeable of the issues and simply refuse to humor a malcontent. I'm one who believes that people should be able to express their views even if critical of GM/Cadillac. However, if it's obvious that someone is here to simply bash GM/Cadillac then I would say that person doesn't belong here as a member of Caddyinfo. If someone wants to complain about their particular Cadillac, that's one thing. But if someone comes here to simply bash GM or Cadillac, then this is a sign that such person will have little to nothing to contribute to this forum. There are all kinds of personalities. Frankly, I don't mind a good debate even if combative to a degree. However, Caddyinfo tends to be reserved when it comes to back and forth wrangling. It happens, but its rare compared to other forums. I think over the years Caddyinfo members have become even more unwilling to tolerate combative posts. That's fine because it's indicative of an effort to keep Caddyinfo a close group of Cadillac enthusiasts. This forum has been exemplary as far as civility over the years.

This said, I do think that we should not become a group of politically correct Cadillac enthusiasts who will not tolerate any amount of criticism of GM or Cadillac. Often when someone has a gripe about either, it's a good opportunity to try to bring different views to the table and explain to that person where they are wrong or misguided. Many of these people are simply upset about their particular experience with their Cadillac. I'm one that thinks patience should prevail until it becomes obvious the purpose for registering with Caddyinfo is to bash rather than to seek answers and/or contribute in a constructive way. But again, these types of people tend not to hang around very long anyway.

MAC I understand what you are saying, but have you read, MadeinAmerica's posts? I said we were enthusiasts to back off and he spit it back in my face to another member, who jumped on the band wagon. Other boards ban trouble makers immediately, we dont, we try to influence.

JimD contacted me about 2 weeks ago, he was getting frustrated at that time, recent events I am sure put him over the top. If you all recall, I used to get very frustrated, especially as Scotty, and quit a few times, it gets frustrating trying to maintain the ENTHUSIAST angle of the board.

LET ME TELL YOU ALL HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT:

I DONT GIVE 2 SH*TS ABOUT HOW FRUSTRATED MEMBERS ARE, I DONT CARE IF THEY HATE GM OR CADILLAC, THEY SHOULD KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES, WE ARE HERE TO HELP, NOT TO FIELD GRIPES OR ABUSE, I AM HERE TO HELP, TIME IS VALUABLE, MALCONTENTS CAN FIND OTHER FORUMS TO DO THEIR BASHING, THIS IS AN ETHUSIASTS BOARD, AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, MADEINAMERICA TAUNTED ENOUGH TO GET BANNED, PERIOD.... THAT IS HOW I FEEL, AND WITH THIS ECONOMY, I CAN EASILY QUIT AND NOT TURN BACK, I REALLY DONT NEED THE RESOURCE ANYMORE, I CAN READ A FSM AND CAN JUST SEARCH THIS DATABASE.

MALCONTENTS ARE A CANCER

I also want all to consider the fact that GM is in the news, they are having problems, they are owned by the GOV, and the GOV is trying to dismantle them and tell them what to build. GM lovers hate that, and tend to be defensive of GM, because they are lifetime GM lovers. We DO know that GM has screwed up at times, but we DONT want to hear it all the time, we hear it from GD polititians on the news and in the papers, MEMBERS who come here and BASH GM and Cadillac have a DEATHWISH, they are TAUNTING, and they see ENTHUSIAST'S BOARD and they SPIT on it, to START a FIGHT.

There are members here who CONTINUE to bash GM for so called DESIGN issues/errors etc, I can tell you, that I am reluctant to help them and if I drove within 5 miles of their homes I would refuse to break bread with them. On the other hand, when JIMD drives north for his Mom's 100th birthday, I am going to intercept him no matter how far I need to drive to buy him lunch!!!

You draw more flys with HONEY than you do with SH*T

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I DONT GIVE 2 SH*TS ABOUT HOW FRUSTRATED MEMBERS ARE, I DONT CARE IF THEY HATE GM OR CADILLAC, THEY SHOULD KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES, WE ARE HERE TO HELP, NOT TO FIELD GRIPES OR ABUSE, I AM HERE TO HELP, TIME IS VALUABLE, MALCONTENTS CAN FIND OTHER FORUMS TO DO THEIR BASHING, THIS IS AN ETHUSIASTS BOARD, AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, MADEINAMERICA TAUNTED ENOUGH TO GET BANNED, PERIOD.... THAT IS HOW I FEEL, AND WITH THIS ECONOMY, I CAN EASILY QUIT AND NOT TURN BACK, I REALLY DONT NEED THE RESOURCE ANYMORE, I CAN READ A FSM AND CAN JUST SEARCH THIS DATABASE.

MALCONTENTS ARE A CANCER

There are members here who CONTINUE to bash GM for so called DESIGN issues/errors etc, I can tell you, that I am reluctant to help them and if I drove within 5 miles of their homes I would refuse to break bread with them. On the other hand, when JIMD drives north for his Mom's 100th birthday, I am going to intercept him no matter how far I need to drive to buy him lunch!!!

Well said.

I too would love to buy JimD lunch.

Or you either for that matter. :D

Posted Image

Thanks Jim!

You know Jim what everyone is forgetting here is that my head gaskets are blown, if I hit traffic I go to 240 degrees, I cant drive it anywhere, I have replaced struts with passive struts, dropped the carriage to replace sensors in the tranny, have problems with the rear knuckles my gas gage is off, I rebuilt my AC system, etc etc etc

Would it help if I complained, moaned and aired my problems to this forum? What purpose would that serve? Would complaining FIX my problem? If I bashed GM or Cadillac would that help?

I own a Cadillac because I prefer to own a Cadillac, in spite of having it repair it and in spite of things that go wrong. I dont wear Rose Colored glasses, I fix the problems because when the car runs its the best car on the highway and its a 96

I owned a 91 Nissan 240SX and was almost killed in it, it was a death trap in any wet weather, I was in 3 accidents it was like being on glass. The wheel well blew out and hit the car behind me at 60 mph, stuff fell out from under the dash, stuff fell off, the seat wore out in 2 years.

Complaining, moaning, bad mouthing serves no purpose, it is the reason why I am here, I am an Enthusiast

MAC I understand what you are saying, but have you read, MadeinAmerica's posts? I said we were enthusiasts to back off and he spit it back in my face to another member, who jumped on the band wagon. Other boards ban trouble makers immediately, we dont, we try to influence.

JimD contacted me about 2 weeks ago, he was getting frustrated at that time, recent events I am sure put him over the top. If you all recall, I used to get very frustrated, especially as Scotty, and quit a few times, it gets frustrating trying to maintain the ENTHUSIAST angle of the board.

MALCONTENTS ARE A CANCER

I also want all to consider the fact that GM is in the news, they are having problems, they are owned by the GOV, and the GOV is trying to dismantle them and tell them what to build. GM lovers hate that, and tend to be defensive of GM, because they are lifetime GM lovers. We DO know that GM has screwed up at times, but we DONT want to hear it all the time, we hear it from GD polititians on the news and in the papers, MEMBERS who come here and BASH GM and Cadillac have a DEATHWISH, they are TAUNTING, and they see ENTHUSIAST'S BOARD and they SPIT on it, to START a FIGHT.

BBF, I also understand and respect your point of view.

I did read the back and forth posts between Jim and MadeInAmerica in the Heal-A-Seal thread with particular emphasis on MadeInAmerica's post #72 on down. I also searched for his posts and reviewed them to get a better understanding of his attitude. His post #77 in the Heal-A-Seal thread is where he let his feelings be known about the Northstar engine and GM. Can I say that his primary purpose for coming to Caddyinfo was to bash the Northstar engine and GM? No! Since not all of his posts were purely negative about either. However, he definitely had strong negative views about both. I didn't mind his criticisms until he called the Northstar engine and GM a "piece of CRAP". If he wanted to discuss some of the problems he experienced or was aware of concerning the Northstar and rant a bit, that's one thing. But to come to this Forum and spew GM hate like a spoiled 4th-grader is another. This is where I agree with you that such vitriol is something that we can all do without. Anyone who has such strong anti-GM feelings should not come to this Forum. In MadeInAmerica's case, such negative feelings about GM can be considered instructive as to his true reasons for being here.

I also agree with you that malcontents should not feel welcome here. Obviously, you put MadeInAmerica in that category. Based upon his overarching criticisms of the Northstar engine and GM, I would have to agree. I would definitely have to say that he is not a Cadillac enthusiast.

Thanks MAC, it was the piece of crap statement that got me also. The problem with a guy likie MIA is that he stirs up the membership, he got two members already upset about their mechanical problems stirred up. We really dont need that. You know, the bad apple spoils the bushel, routine... (or Jersey tomato if you'd like) :lol:

All I can say is that a cheap piece of FOAM on the space shuttle, killed the crew on re-entry, stuff breaks. I do agree with you however, that once GM started seeing NS's pulling bolts, the start of a solution should not have taken till 2000. I'd love to know why they would have delayed beefing the bolts up.... same goes for the Getrag differentials and the timing chain problem on the CTS (my friends 2008 CTS just was in the shop for 7 days because of that).... Someone in contractor part quality control needs to be HUNG

I suspect that it was 2008 or 2009 before there was enough history of head gasket issues to light the alarms at GM.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I suspect that it was 2008 or 2009 before there was enough history of head gasket issues to light the alarms at GM.

I have been on this and previous board for some seven years and the headgasket issue have been discussed all the time.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks MAC, it was the piece of crap statement that got me also. The problem with a guy likie MIA is that he stirs up the membership, he got two members already upset about their mechanical problems stirred up. We really dont need that. You know, the bad apple spoils the bushel, routine... (or Jersey tomato if you'd like) :lol:

All I can say is that a cheap piece of FOAM on the space shuttle, killed the crew on re-entry, stuff breaks. I do agree with you however, that once GM started seeing NS's pulling bolts, the start of a solution should not have taken till 2000. I'd love to know why they would have delayed beefing the bolts up.... same goes for the Getrag differentials and the timing chain problem on the CTS (my friends 2008 CTS just was in the shop for 7 days because of that).... Someone in contractor part quality control needs to be HUNG

Well, as you probably know by now, we just had 44 people including 3 mayors (of Hoboken, Ridgefield and Secaucus) arrested here in NJ on corruption charges, including bribery. So as far as NJ is concerned, if one bad tomato spoils the bushel, then every bleeping tomato in our state is rotten. :angry:

As far as the head bolts, I don't know when GM understood that they were a problem--if at all. Based on the Guru's comments as late as May 2005, he was still defending the Northstar engine's head bolts as being engineered correctly with greater than the industry standard clamping ability, etc. So, I doubt that it's an issue where GM was ignoring potential head bolt problems. I still have not seen any definitive report by experts indicating that there was a head bolt/block engineering problem. As you know, I have on a couple of occasions reiterated the Guru's statements concerning the alleged head bolt problem. GM did revise the head bolt torque values on the 93-99 engines as follows:

1. In sequence, torque all bolts to 30 ft.-lbs.

2. In sequence, rotate all bolts an additional 70 degrees.

3. In sequence, rotate all bolts an additional 60 degrees.

4. In sequence, rotate all bolts another 60 degrees.

5. Torque the front three M6 head bolts to 106 in.-lbs.

According to this Engine Builder web page, the only reason to Time-Sert the 4.6L Northstar is if there is thread damage when rebuilding or replacing the head gasket.

In 2002, the Northstar was redesigned including the block and head. However, to my knowledge, both were the result of changes to optimize oil and coolant flow, not because there was recognition of head bolts pulling. There are a number of theories as to why head gaskets are blowing including failure to meticulously maintain coolant and failure of the aluminum block to be properly hardened causing threads to be weak and prone to pulling. I don't know of one instance where any of these theories have been proven. In my humble point of view, it is difficult to accept the notion that aluminum threads would simply disintegrate. For this reason, I am still of the view that head gasket failure, not bolts pulling, is the culprit.

Now, I'm certainly far from being an qualified engineer, however, unless someone can give me something that goes beyond theory as to why head gaskets in Northstars fail, I am still willing to believe the Guru's view that "thermocycling" (particularly on cold starts) is likely a major factor in causing head gasket failure.

Also, my former '94 Eldorado is still going strong at 240,000 miles. And I recently departed with my second '94 Eldorado with 131,000 miles and also still going strong. Is it possible that certain Northstar blocks were cast differently than those Northstar engines that continue to go strong well over 150,000 miles?! If there is any definitive report as to why some Northstar engines blow head gaskets while others do not, I would certainly be interested in reading it.

The bottom line is that I'm not going to blame GM until I know what they knew and did or didn't do. Can one argue that circumstantial evidence points to some kind of engineering defect? Perhaps?! But again, I don't have information indicating what exactly is the reason why some Northstar engines blow head gaskets while others do not. It could also be that the aluminum head and aluminum block creates a weak link at the head gasket due to thermocycling.

Respectfully,

Mike

Thanks MAC. AJ's findings have me nervous, where the block material becomes deteriorated

By the way, I am a big fan of Jersey beefsteak tomatos

I recognize what I understand to be allusions to my participating in the conversation with MIA. Sure, his comments were strident, perhaps he’s a malcontent, my responses to his comments were brief, I’m not sticking up for the fellow, and I’ve speculated quite a bit on the Northstar head gasket failure syndrome myself.

The botton line for me:

This is what GM’s problem has meant to me personally. The motor in my example of The Premium American Auto Brand blew apart on my way home from work one night – after twelve hours on the job and halfway through a 40 mile commute. If the water pump crapped out, or the fuel pump croaked, or any other normal 91,000 mile failure had occurred it would have been dealt with. But the motor came apart!

No book maintained auto engine should come apart at 91,000 miles for any reason whatsoever. I don’t care about could bes, would bes or any other bes.

My wife and I paid a helluvalotta hard earned dough for that ride and it p**sed me off big time. Still does. I’ve never read a “White Paper” type analysis of the problem by GM, or a public campaign (until that posted here) to rectify or at least mitigate the risks/results of the problem, there’s no factory support “out there” none, you’re on your own. My only option other than being taken advantage of in my distressed condition by the local Cadillac Dealership was to do it myself.

GM’s behaved badly in this, IMO. Doesn’t mean I’m not an enthusiast, but I have been mugged.

The result:

Remembering the major disruption in our lives that this caused for me and my family; Today I can’t, in good conscience, advise my friends and relatives to buy a pre-2003 Cadillac at all and if they or I choose to buy a post ’03 Cadillac it will always have that asterisk (think 61*) for me.

I still own my Eldorado* because I really, really like the car, nothing else I'd rather drive, I have always liked Cadillac*, always wanted to own one but things have changed…

I have been on this and previous board for some seven years and the headgasket issue have been discussed all the time.

I meant 1998 or 1999, sorry.

I dont believe this is true. My neighbor was a Cadillac Tech and advised me back in 1995 not to buy a NS. Every time an engine blew, it was shipped back to GM so they could analyse it, they knew this a LONG time.

Lets face it this is a GREAT engine. I cant help but think that GM thought this was an acceptible problem based on the PERCENTAGE of NSs that were going bad under warranty, and that is all they care about as that is a contingent liability.

What they did not do was look to the owners that would own this car once it passed 100K miles, isnt it interesting that this problem occurs right around 100K in most instances? Planned obsolescence? The bean counters/obsolescence people needed to be kept away from this engine and the FIX needed to be put into the assemnbly line IMMEDIATELY when it was determined that a problem existed.

Listen, I can GRIPE and be miserable and be constantly negative like MrEldo97, and bitc* about the repair how much I spent, yada yada yada, I choose NOT to. Some people prefer to *smurf**, others dont.. When that bitchin* becomes a distraction the member will be barred. Bitchin* is readily acceptible at other sites, this is a site where we consider ourselves above that and he have for a long time.

I was in a car the other day going to the airport and the driver bitched the entire trip, driving up his blood pressure, that is not my style, it serves no purpose. GM is bankrupt because of decisions, the V8 engine is dead and life is short. Move forward or get $4500 from the clunker program and buy a honda and buzz along happily forever because as we all know foreign cars never need repairs.

"constantly negative like MrEldo97". Not true. I only b**ch about the head gasket issue and how many times have I said that I really like my Eldorado - hey I still own the thing. Or my kid's '03 STS. I will try to limit my posts to non-controversial subjects only. I am an enthusiast of Cadillac and GM products but my enthusiasm does not have a rose colored tint and I apologize to the forum for that.

"constantly negative like MrEldo97". Not true. I only b**ch about the head gasket issue and how many times have I said that I really like my Eldorado - hey I still own the thing. Or my kid's '03 STS. I will try to limit my posts to non-controversial subjects only. I am an enthusiast of Cadillac and GM products but my enthusiasm does not have a rose colored tint and I apologize to the forum for that.

I am aware that you have a 'fair and balanced' approach to your griping :lol: Guys like you are tweaked by MIA types, and I know you love your Cadillacs. But that is also why I resist MIA types, his negativity spreads. I think we have a good thing here. I also have been critical to a point about how problems can continue on and on, stopping short of ripping GM. They have caused their own problems to a certain extent unfortunately.

Archived