CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

It's time for me to go

JimD

I remember when I first came to this site I complained about the case half leak in my 94 Concours. Then I was educated by Guru and I gained alot respect for the technology and engineering that went into the Northstar engine. I was in awe of the power that was packed into that engine. Having an early Northstar engine I knew it was not if my headbolts pulled but when. Like BBF my 94 Concours is sitting with pulled head bolts. I can not complain though because I bought my car with 61,000 miles on it for $6,500 and today it has 166,000 oil leaking miles. I consider it one of the best cars I have ever owned. I too have considered putting a rebuilt engine in and if the opportunity comes along I may go through with it. Right now it is a parts car for my 97 oil leak free Deville that I bought for $4000 with 89,500miles. Today it just turned over 127,000 miles. It is not as fancy as the Concours, no sunroof, memory seats, etc. but it is still nice. I would really like to find a low mileage 99 though. JimD I know you will be missed.

I suspect that it was 2008 or 2009 before there was enough history of head gasket issues to light the alarms at GM.

I was in a car the other day going to the airport and the driver bitched the entire trip, driving up his blood pressure, that is not my style, it serves no purpose. GM is bankrupt because of decisions, the V8 engine is dead and life is short. Move forward or get $4500 from the clunker program and buy a honda and buzz along happily forever because as we all know foreign cars never need repairs.

:lol:

After my 1991 Seville with 173.000 miles got flooded, my cousin offered their 1998 Honda Civic with about 115.000 miles FREE. He begged me to test drive the thing. In about 300 yards I had enough. I stopped the car, got out "Guys, I do appreciate your generosity, but my next car will definitely be a V8 made in USA. Period". Because I do not want to get even close to the Hall of Fame, I have been considering a Cadillac with 4.9 engine. Unfortunately, the last year of 4.9 engine was 1995 Deville, which I do not like much. I have to confess at some point I even considered a 200* Lincoln Town Car. I hope to find a nice 1994-1996 Fleetwood Brougham before December when I have to spend another $700-$800 on my poor Caddy so it would pass state inspection...

To be honest, that Honda has been driven every day in any weather and the only repair was a headlight and a fender after they hit a deer, new battery, and brake pads. Nobody ever changed coolant or ATF leave alone plugs or wires. They heard of changing motor oil regularly, which they did. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallak, once you have driven a Northstar it will be hard to go back to the 4.9. I still have my wifes 92 Deville with the 4.9, it only has about 78,000 miles. At this time it needs a waterpump and blower motor. :mellow: My wife truely loved that car, but after I got my Concours with the Northstar my wife never drove the 92 again. :o She told me that she would never have another car unless it had a Northstar. :D<_<

Once I drove a Quad 4 HO I would never drive a car that didn't have 4 valves per cylinder, other than an LS1. That's why I ended up in my ETC. I still feel that way, and the world has come around too. Just about anything decent out there has 4 valves per cylinder, forced induction, or both.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

....If you ever get to the northeast, give me a holler, and I will intercept you. If I recall your Mom's 100th birthday is coming soon and you will be coming north, am I correct?

Correct.

Mom's b'day is late October and I expect the "event" will have me in southern Ontario for several days both sides of October 31. However, I expect to make the trip at least one time before October.

My normal route takes me to Cincinnati-Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo. But a slight detour would put me at the junction of I-79 and I-80 in western PA. Doable for you?

I am hoping that you will reconsider once you are away for awhile, Mike

It's too soon to comment.

I appreciate all the support, folks.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived