CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi Newbie here with new purchase

1LowDeville

hello everyone .

noob with a 80 caddy deville . here - its got147,528 miles on it all original - I'm techenically the 2nd owner of it - the previous bought it at a dealer in 84 with like 3,900 miles on it - we're assuming it was a demo car .. any ways - the couple is /was about thier late to early 70's .. Just like most ppl of older generation they kept alot I mean alot of the records of what they've done .

Any ways - theres some issues not alot and very minor .

the rear tail light benzels (the Plastics) that go behind the chrome benzels on both sides are shot and almost totally gone - where can i find em and whats the technical name for them if i have to search it - or if you have a link could you link me . Also the plastics behind the front bumper again both sides gone - need them as well - ( link to them as well please?) ... i need a caddy emblem for the hood as a hoodlum took it when they went to indiana to visit thier daughter at college.

heater /blower switch:

any one ever have a problem with the blower switch ?? or mechanics of it ? They had a problem with it and couldn't do the hi /med/low setting so they put a toggle switch in the glove box ( nasty don't like it ) need ideas please- They said their mechanic couldn't figure out why it was doing that - i'm thinkin switch but im open to ideas.

Suspension :

This is a 80 caddy deville 4dr .

is this coils all around ? i wanta lower it - anyone on here that customized thiers without cutting coils ? Got a link to drop coils for these or i'll just have to bag it to get what i want ? sense i got home late after noon today with it and its like tornado weather tonight i didn't get pics yet- i'll do that tommorrow and post- Is there a picture limit per day?

any custom caddy owners in pa/del on here ?

ttyl later - hope to be able to do some more discussions but i lack on knowledge of caddys' I used to own a bagged mini-truck . any ways later.

1LowDeville.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are referring to the tail light fillers - they are the soft, flexible extensions that are between the rear quarter and the chrome tail light housings. Do a search on this site for "bumper fillers" - there was someone a couple of weeks ago that was looking for a set for a late 70s cadillac.

Your car should have the climate control panel with the horizontal wheel to select the temperature - you really need a factory service manual - many times, they are available for a reasonable price on ebay.

I can't comment on the suspension modifications other than advising you not to ruin the lines of a classy car...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think you are referring to the tail light fillers - they are the soft, flexible extensions that are between the rear quarter and the chrome tail light housings. Do a search on this site for "bumper fillers" - there was someone a couple of weeks ago that was looking for a set for a late 70s cadillac.

Your car should have the climate control panel with the horizontal wheel to select the temperature - you really need a factory service manual - many times, they are available for a reasonable price on ebay.

I can't comment on the suspension modifications other than advising you not to ruin the lines of a classy car...

how am i gona ruin the lines? im not cuttin nothing on the outside - idon't even think i'm gona shave the handles . It would only be a straight forward thing it would be modest . just a simple bagging - ARE You a anti - custom anything?

as far as a manual-

i have one book that mechanics use - that came with the book - and another that is for body parts - granted i should have took some time and looked thru them but at the moment they 're in the trunk and it was pouring rain when i brought the car home so i didn't want to chance the books being ruined.

AS I said in my previous -post

THEY'RE mechanic couldn't figure out why they couldn't get different settings for the fan - it stumped him . i've never touched it yet. it just seems like a inconvience to reach over open the glove box and hit the toggle switch . None the less possibly cause an accident in the process .

Here is your factory Service Manual. Looks pretty good. If you plan on keeping the car it's a good investment.

how am i gona ruin the lines? im not cuttin nothing on the outside - idon't even think i'm gona shave the handles . It would only be a straight forward thing it would be modest . just a simple bagging - ARE You a anti - custom anything?

as far as a manual-

i have one book that mechanics use - that came with the book - and another that is for body parts - granted i should have took some time and looked thru them but at the moment they 're in the trunk and it was pouring rain when i brought the car home so i didn't want to chance the books being ruined.

AS I said in my previous -post

THEY'RE mechanic couldn't figure out why they couldn't get different settings for the fan - it stumped him . i've never touched it yet. it just seems like a inconvience to reach over open the glove box and hit the toggle switch . None the less possibly cause an accident in the process .

also i'm quite insulted you think i'd ruin the lines of this caddy .

for that . you get this : not my year caddy but an older one

also i'm quite insulted you think i'd ruin the lines of this caddy .

for that . you get this : not my year caddy but an older one

Did you mean to put one of these--> :P in your post?

no I've tried 2 different ways to put a pic in here - unless theres a number of posts you have to have inorder to post pics then i don't have a clue -

apparently this board don't allow img code nor me to take the pic out my pc direct and put it in as a attachment .

I FIND You think that i would ruin the lines as you say An insult to me - I wouldn't do that on purpose - I'M A CUSTOMIZER. . How would i do that ?

im considering bagging this car when money allows . AND YA im talkin about the plastic parts between the benzels and the quarter panels.

AND I already have a mechanics issue of the chiltons or what ever the mechanics use.

Attachments work but are limited to 64k in size.

Also check here:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9759

for info on how to post images to photobucket.com and link here.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Isn't the '80 the one with the all steel 368?

There are two versions of the bumper fillers, fiberglass and abs-

I'm told that the ABS plastic is alot better than the fiberglass..

The reason he doesn't want you to lower it is because a 1980 Cadillac is supposed to ride high and proud and be able to drive over things.. :lol: Why lower it unless you need to chase people?

It would be good to lower the center of gravity if you needed to chase people or run from them but other than that.. why?

If you want the car to hop and jump around you'll want to buy an 80s model Cadillac with the 4100 (The 4100 is known for going bad, but, it weighs alot less than our motors and so it's alot better for folks who want to make their car jump and hop all over the place)

PS: I've got a '79 Sedan Deville d'Elegance- the body changed quite a bit in '80 and the motor changed http://affordablecarats.com/cad.htm but it's sort of like yours and I've got custom paint on it

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

By the way,

you can pull images from your own server with the [/img]

Also, I use to drive my '79 like a madman wide open all night on the highways and I've chased people and I've lost people driving that big old Cadillac and I never had to lower it and I never turned it over either..

So there's really no reason to lower the car. See.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I FIND You think that i would ruin the lines as you say An insult to me

Don't get your knickers all up in a knot. He was just expressing his opinion. Everyone is entiled to one.

boy you ppl are anti custom and no i ain't got my shorts in a bunch - i'm american not british. get it right. i want to customise the car and who said a darn thing about hoping the car ? boy you ppl sure don't have a idea about lowering - all you think about is the "lowriders" which have wire wheels and hop on hydros . Im putting bags in not hydros it don't do the same thing ! altho with enough psi you could hop the front but not drastically like a hydro'd car

i tried using img code and it didn't work - i will try again later on . THE FRED . thats a horrible picture to post there sport nice - good thing my neighbor isn't lookin at this thread - he's a dog lover and that picture is just plain cruel.

Welcome to the forum. I hope I have a little information that can help.

The 1980 DeVille has coil springs on all four wheels. Any good suspension shop will be able to work with you on lowering the car. If a couple of inches is enough, then you can go with new springs and shocks, and they will be able to recommend a selection of aftermarket springs. Since the car will have less suspension travel before bottoming, the springs will need to be noticeably stiffer. The shocks will need to be stiffer to match the new springs. If you want more than a couple of inches, you will likely need to modify the suspension. The rear syspension on the 1980 DeVille uses a four-link setup to control body roll and wheel hop so modifying it may be as involved as modifying the front suspension.

I can't help you with modifying suspensions to lower the car, but you should be able to find shops that can in any large city. Others here may be able to help more in this regard. I know that some here have modified their suspensions to make Eldorados and Sevilles ride and handle like sports cars, which requires prety drastic modifications.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

here it is MY 80 caddy ..

IRONIC . 4link susupension eh? well in the mini-truck world that is what we use as well hmm- i'll have to incorperate it into the setup if i can..modifying suspension isn't new to me i had a bagged mazda b2200 . had front /back and side to side . im sure i could get it bagged without alot of modification. now this won't be anything fast done (air ride ) but the lowering coils sound like a nice idea - i'll have to lookin to that .. i think what i'd have to do is find the drop coils and then find a shorter stroke shock for all 4 corners . that would elimate any bounce i don't want to cut the coils that are in it - as i believe they're originals. Thanks for the imput ..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

here it is MY 80 caddy ..

IRONIC . 4link susupension eh? well in the mini-truck world that is what we use as well hmm- i'll have to incorperate it into the setup if i can..modifying suspension isn't new to me i had a bagged mazda b2200 . had front /back and side to side . im sure i could get it bagged without alot of modification. now this won't be anything fast done (air ride ) but the lowering coils sound like a nice idea - i'll have to lookin to that .. i think what i'd have to do is find the drop coils and then find a shorter stroke shock for all 4 corners . that would elimate any bounce i don't want to cut the coils that are in it - as i believe they're originals. Thanks for the imput ..

here's a general idea what i want : this is a 66 caddy

IPB Image

1LowDeville,

I'm sure you're a good guy and all, but you're probably on the wrong forum. Here, we're more about maintaining and improving the stock appearance/performance of our vehicles.

I'm sure some members here have an interest in customizing their rides, but it doesn't go to any extremes. Probably not much more than adding a little wood trim to the ashtray. :)

BTW, I'm a fan of '66 Caddies.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

boy you ppl are anti custom and no i ain't got my shorts in a bunch - i'm american not british. get it right. i want to customise the car and who said a darn thing about hoping the car ? boy you ppl sure don't have a idea about lowering - all you think about is the "lowriders" which have wire wheels and hop on hydros . Im putting bags in not hydros it don't do the same thing ! altho with enough psi you could hop the front but not drastically like a hydro'd car

i tried using img code and it didn't work - i will try again later on . THE FRED . thats a horrible picture to post there sport nice - good thing my neighbor isn't lookin at this thread - he's a dog lover and that picture is just plain cruel.

Look here son, first of all I treated Little Elcamino like a king, the dog he loved me.

Secondly if you want suggestions or to show your car off or ... for what ever reason you are here, you'll do well not to become defensive so easily.

Thirdly, if someone thought you were british it might be because of the way you type.

Fourt and last ... I do know the difference between a hopping car and one that is just lowered down...

You don't need to even think about get serious with me kid

just act like a gentleman and we will return that favor and more !

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

An alternative to modifying the suspension is using low-profile tires. I notice that the car has hub caps, and you will probably want to go with chromed wheels or mags for a custom car, so you are looking at wheels and tires anyway. The Tire Rack can probably help you there.

If drivability for long trips at highway speeds and gas mileage are important to you, then you should figure the new tires to have the same rolling radius as the stock tires. If you just want to ride it around town and show it, then smaller radius tires offer another opportunity for lowering. Between shorter springs and custom low-profile tires on custom 15" wheels, you can probably lower it right to the ground without modifying the suspension.

Don't worry about opinions of some of the members here. We are all gentlemen and our moderator won't allow offensive posts to survive more than a few minutes. Many are very conservative about their advice -- and I am also in terms of being wary of any possible consequences of a recommending something that might be a mistake. However, we do support just about anything legal that anybody wants to do. We recently worked with a fellow who is preparing a 425 cid Cadillac engine for round-track racing, and we recommend Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators for off-road Northstar work and complete engines. Our moderator, Bruce Nunnally, has a tricked-out CTS and has done performance mods to an STS in the past; you will find his log and results on this web site. In our Cadillac Videos section of the forum, Bruce posted this one, my favorite. Bruce helped me find aftermarket performance mufflers for my car based on his experience with his STS.

Stay with us, and you might consider becoming a supporting member and starting a blog for your car. I have one, and I'm posting results on my engine change, my exhaust modifications, and other things that Cadillac owners might like to see or know about. Whatever you do, please keep us up to date with photos of your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Did GM really put out a YELLOW caddy? :wacko: I sure am glad the 80's have come and gone.

You have a TERRIBLE attitude btw. Take a chill pill.

They made yellow in '79 as well.. it is awful but anything is better than grey,,

He has an attitude because his friends are probably thug man boy wonder types,

I was the same way once long ago,

I also dropped out of school early like he did.. I was only 12 when I quit

So I'm not casting any stones about it :lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Oh seeing that 66 dragging its gut, I am sick, I had this 66 convertible with a white interior:

IPB Image

A yellow Cadillac? I had this 74 Eldorado same YELLOW CAB yellow with a BLACK interior. I always disliked that color. Besides being TITANIC in size the YELLOW highlighted how really big it was... :lol:

IPB Image

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I kind of get the low but tuned look. For a car off the streets for a while it is interesting to show it as it was as well. I think the important thing either way is to keep it tasteful and make it a complete package. If it were me, I would also stray from mods that made the car less functional, but just depends on what you want to use the Cadillac for. A show-only car does not need to be able to hold a lot of luggage.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

That's going to be a BEAUTIFUL car!!!!!!!!!

I've seen some lowered Cads from that era - and the long streamlined look, when lowered, gets even more horizontal and REAL attractive. Put some cool wire spoke rims on and it'll be total.

Of course, I grew up in Hollywood, and George Barris' shop was 15 minutes from my house and I spent many afteroons staring longingly at his work.

Does anyone remember those cool antenna mounts where they'd recess the antenna mount into the fender?????? Or the amazing metal flake laquer jobs???

1LowDeVille - GO FOR IT!!!!!!

There are many fender fillers on Ebay.

Did GM really put out a YELLOW caddy? :wacko: I sure am glad the 80's have come and gone.

look here . U may NOT like my attitude- WELL guess what i have a short temper too- so - you got a issue with it stay out my thread. I GOT PISSED OFF FOR A REASON . and your not my father to tell me i have a poor attitude- so be quiet . ( can you figure that out? )good stay out my thread- you didn't have t o post to my thread to start with -

They made yellow in '79 as well.. it is awful but anything is better than grey,,

He has an attitude because his friends are probably thug man boy wonder types,

I was the same way once long ago,

I also dropped out of school early like he did.. I was only 12 when I quit

So I'm not casting any stones about it :lol:

you - better shut up you don't know my friends - they are hard core mini-truckers and customizers on the east coast - they can do just about anything you do on your car and fabricate to boot.. don't dare say that my friends are thugs .

2nd . do you even know me ? Think again before you ASSUME i dropped out of high school. Cause i graduated in 97 matter fact im 29 years old so be quiet - Your posts aren't wanted in my thread from here out - you have nothing of value to ad .

So you droped out of school at 12 -- Very inteligent of you - you want fries with that ? I MAY have been a slow learner in school but i was told i have to go to school I GOT MY DIPLOMA . think before you call ppl thugs and discredit thier character.

Archived