CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi Newbie here with new purchase

1LowDeville

Yo man, you really need to chill out you really do. Do a little searching around and you will see we don't act like you are acting. This is a very straight-laced, conservative cadillac board. We are not into pimpin, customizing, tricking out, or otherwise defacing cadillacs. Like someone said, you may not find what you are looking for here. But please lose that short temper, it really won't go far here nor will it get you the answers you want. We help everyone regardless of whether or not they do what you are going to do....we just dont have to like it.

Please try this board www.cadillacforums.com there is a section over there for your year and the board tends to attract members that enjoy your interests. Its obvious that YOU are not happy here as you have expressed it OVER AND OVER and you only have 8 posts.

If you want to stay great but please loose the chip on your shoulder, attitude and temper. And Fred, please back off, I could do without you on my side :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's going to be a BEAUTIFUL car!!!!!!!!!

I've seen some lowered Cads from that era - and the long streamlined look, when lowered, gets even more horizontal and REAL attractive. Put some cool wire spoke rims on and it'll be total.

Of course, I grew up in Hollywood, and George Barris' shop was 15 minutes from my house and I spent many afteroons staring longingly at his work.

Does anyone remember those cool antenna mounts where they'd recess the antenna mount into the fender?????? Or the amazing metal flake laquer jobs???

1LowDeVille - GO FOR IT!!!!!!

There are many fender fillers on Ebay.

thanks for your suport unlike some here ( who shall remain nameless ) . ya - well - the wire wheel concept is well hate to profile it but its mexican style its their way of lowering a car without really doing "mods" to the suspension .. Doing it that way isn't hard core for me - altering the suspension via air ride is a nice mod and you have adjustabilty .in the summer i may do the smaller height tires to get a lower look til i can get what i really want when i get the cash together -

wheel wise i will probably run a billet rim or a chrome rim- wire wheels are just ugly - and a p.i.t.a to clean .

thanks again for the kuddos .

Mike.

1LowDeville

I kind of get the low but tuned look. For a car off the streets for a while it is interesting to show it as it was as well. I think the important thing either way is to keep it tasteful and make it a complete package. If it were me, I would also stray from mods that made the car less functional, but just depends on what you want to use the Cadillac for. A show-only car does not need to be able to hold a lot of luggage.

well bruce-

honestly i don't do alot of traveling and when i do its usually within 8 hrs of home to another state in the summer time .. Next year i intend to expand that by going to points north example : ny , ct , nh areas And south : va , sc, nc, fla, tx , and west : kentucky ,tn, east : nj , pa (central)

when i travel to car shows my packin consists of A Simple over nite bag as i am usually back in 2.5 days . SO I really don't need alot of space -and its a 4dr - with tons of room - if i have passengers for the trip then we can pile in and roll out - with plenty of space - so if i do bags and possibly lift the trunk floor for air i should be ok for storage and car audio ( ya i like alot of loud music too ) i have alot of car audio that will be going into this car as well .

By the way welcome aboard, as your name indicates you like a low deville, its possible we need to be more open minded as a group who knows. We are probably like the Corvette owners you know that are fanatics about STOCK, look, performance, etc. You are from Pennsylvania did you say? I was born there.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yo man, you really need to chill out you really do. Do a little searching around and you will see we don't act like you are acting. This is a very straight-laced, conservative cadillac board. We are not into pimpin, customizing, tricking out, or otherwise defacing cadillacs. Like someone said, you may not find what you are looking for here. But please lose that short temper, it really won't go far here nor will it get you the answers you want. We help everyone regardless of whether or not they do what you are going to do....we just dont have to like it.

Please try this board www.cadillacforums.com there is a section over there for your year and the board tends to attract members that enjoy your interests. Its obvious that YOU are not happy here as you have expressed it OVER AND OVER and you only have 8 posts.

If you want to stay great but please loose the chip on your shoulder, attitude and temper. And Fred, please back off, I could do without you on my side :lol:

well well -

can't tell me what to do about my temper its me and the way i am internet is a free place to post thoughts and express opinions but not to judge my character the way the one guy did . - i not starting a fight with no one - people bring it on with thier bs stuff they start with me -

I'VE Tried to join that forum but they have a issue with isp and FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS AND PPL USIN AOL ACOUNTS SO I CAN'T SIGN up for that forum.

if you realise when you do a internet search for caddilac forums you get 2,900,xxxxx amount of hits for forums and other stuff that isn't even related to forums - i could sit here from now til 2,010 and never catchup with the every day update of new forums on the net - why not cut to the chase and go to a caddy forum - sorry i bothered to come here - i simply asked about a couple things and obviously you guys want nothing to do with customizing caddy's - If you put a new wiper blade on your car that does not count as a modification . Sorry i thought this would be a good insight for what i was looking for .

obviously i'm not gona go to a customizing board to find caddy parts to replace the parts i stated above .as they have no idea- i feel this forum would be really informative in that respect- a simple sorry can't help you with the lowering aspect of your question but the suspension is coils all around for your info tho . and good luck - thats all that was needed -

the rubbish that the fred posted and some others wasn't needed in this thread . I don't know everyones character and you all don't know mine - but it was wrong of that one guy to call me a thug and my friends thugs .

i grew up in a small town and i went to school weather i liked it or not got my diploma and got a job . i don't like that profile that guy said to me . i don't like the fact he called me and my friends thugs - . we are customizers and auto enthusiasts just like you guys - and from what i can tell you guys don't do car shows and the like and fabricate things for your vehicle . Do you know ? Custom doesn't come in a box - Not at walmart or your local pepboys .

CUSTOM = FABRICATION

I asked him to back off, just start over again. We will help you as much as we can. Just have patience with US and WE will have patience with you. We have a lot of talented people on here that can help you and we have a wealth of information.

By the way welcome aboard, as your name indicates you like a low deville, its possible we need to be more open minded as a group who knows. We are probably like the Corvette owners you know that are fanatics about STOCK, look, performance, etc. You are from Pennsylvania did you say? I was born there.

yes i live in the boring state of pennsylvania where there are more mexicans then there are good paying jobs for us citzens. ( OK i know i'll get bashed for that comment but its the truth)

yes it looks like this forum (atleast the members ) need to open thier eyes to all aspects of automotive hobby -

PERSONALLY :

i like classics and i like newer cars and trucks . Newer cars disgust me as they are just over priced plastics . this 80 caddy is a tank - and it proved it already as i already put 38 .00 in it -- gas in tank 2 times in 2 days probably run out in a day and a half as well .And me without a job - I borrowed money to buy this car from some old man who was in his late 70's who is the 1 st owner of it and in the last 7 years barely drove 1k a year . I COULDN'T afford any the newer cars - Actually if i had a real choice i would have bought a s10 or a mazda b2200 pickup or a ford f150 pickup ..i'VE Stayed away from cars for about 7 years or so simply cause cars -= trouble . ( Uhhh you 've heard the term taxi before eh? ) i've alwys seemed like the one to shuttle ppl around - and me owning trucks had stopped that a great deal. I Basically bought this car as a last resort as it was in my price range and i took in that the man kept GOOD records IF IT was anyone else i probably would have passed as the days of ppl actually keepin thier maintence records are GONE . i have yet to meet someone who actually kept some if not all thier records to what they done on their vehicle . I trust i could easily drive this caddy from pa to Florida without any mechanical issue.

Did GM really put out a YELLOW caddy? :wacko: I sure am glad the 80's have come and gone.

You have a TERRIBLE attitude btw. Take a chill pill.

look here . U may NOT like my attitude- WELL guess what i have a short temper too- so - you got a issue with it stay out my thread. I GOT PISSED OFF FOR A REASON . and your not my father to tell me i have a poor attitude- so be quiet . ( can you figure that out? )good stay out my thread- you didn't have t o post to my thread to start with -

Did GM really put out a YELLOW caddy? :wacko: I sure am glad the 80's have come and gone.

You have a TERRIBLE attitude btw. Take a chill pill.

They made yellow in '79 as well.. it is awful but anything is better than grey,,

He has an attitude because his friends are probably thug man boy wonder types,

I was the same way once long ago,

I also dropped out of school early like he did.. I was only 12 when I quit

So I'm not casting any stones about it :lol:

you - better shut up you don't know my friends - they are hard core mini-truckers and customizers on the east coast - they can do just about anything you do on your car and fabricate to boot.. don't dare say that my friends are thugs .

2nd . do you even know me ? Think again before you ASSUME i dropped out of high school. Cause i graduated in 97 matter fact im 29 years old so be quiet - Your posts aren't wanted in my thread from here out - you have nothing of value to ad .

So you droped out of school at 12 -- Very inteligent of you - you want fries with that ? I MAY have been a slow learner in school but i was told i have to go to school I GOT MY DIPLOMA . think before you call ppl thugs and discredit thier character.

What do you know about the East coast.. :lol: ..

Nothing is wrong with being a slow learner,

But most slow learners in school just didn't give a .... ..

Anyway you're 29 now

Spell some words and get a grip on that "temper" of yours!

A short temper is a bad bad thing... it causes heart attacks and all sorts of bad things.

The fights you will start with that short temper you're so proud of those will end up with you in jail/prison or the hospital.

You lose that either way.

I don't know if some of what you said was supposed to be meant as threatening or cute but I don't fool around over here playing games.

I don't make your fries buddy I tried a normal persons job for three months one time.. I retired from it. I've never made car payments, I've owned a decent home, I've lived well.

I've never taken government money in my life..

I'll give you that I am not making alot of money right now..

I'm stranded in KANSAS fulfilling some obligations, that's life..

Still I ain't making your fries- I make more than that guy does, which still isn't much, but I relax watching TV all of the time. I work two hours in every month. Some times I have to ask someone what month it is never of a mind what day it is- I don't care because I don't have to.

the rubbish that the fred posted and some others wasn't needed in this thread . I don't know everyones character and you all don't know mine - but it was wrong of that one guy to call me a thug and my friends thugs .

i grew up in a small town and i went to school weather i liked it or not got my diploma and got a job . i don't like that profile that guy said to me . i don't like the fact he called me and my friends thugs - . we are customizers and auto enthusiasts just like you guys - and from what i can tell you guys don't do car shows and the like and fabricate things for your vehicle . Do you know ? Custom doesn't come in a box - Not at walmart or your local pepboys .

CUSTOM = FABRICATION

I didn't mean to throw a stereotype on you but..

Seriously, you come on here acting a clown talking that way and what else I'ma think?

I know some panhandlers make 200/yr but most people just think "what a bum" when they see a panhandler,

Maybe it is the same with you.. you talk like a 16 year old thug boy but you're really not... you're supposedly 29 and a gentleman too ....

one never knows

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

what is thuggish to you in my original post when i posted on my first nite here ?

i do not use alot of YO wat up type words as today's pot head kids that parents tend to NOT give to craps about what they do where they go say . I DON'T wear my pants hanging off my back side . i don't wear my hats crooked as these " yo boys" as you older generations like to call em do . I'M QUITE proud that i haven't done what the other idiots have / are doing in todays youth . obviously todays parents are so wrapped up in what they do working 50-60 hrs a week they DO NOT bother to spend time with thier kids Thats where they stray and get hooked on drugs and drinking at 12! or Younger . They don't go to school like they should , they get suspended from school for fights , weapons , threats (this isn't all these brats do these days either in schools.) Then they also steal , rob , and intentionally hurt (injure ) people . steal cars .Get put in detention centers (which don't work ) no sooner they're out they are high again doing the same thing . There is no "lesson" learned from their actions . Unlike me i do intend to do things with my self. They ARE the ones with the i just don't give a (_______) * fill in the blank * attitudes.

don't worry bout my health . Doctors are quacks - AND over charge - i'LL NEVER step foot in a doctors office again . nor the hospital . AND no i don't go around beating on ppl - you thought me all wrong - I MAY have a temper - but i don't follow thru with threats of violence you got me all wrong . I DO Blow my top when i get angry its called life learn to live with what i say if the words you said to me judging my character didn't happen this thread would have been cool and collective with information ( to which i was looking for ) but aparently people like to side track the whole thread from the original topic at hand .

IT WOULD have been fine if the topic was " November chat " A Thread you can discuss what ever you want from askin whats going on with everyone to what your doing to your car . this thread has blown way out of shape .

Please don't argue. I like to talk about Cadillacs and related things here. It's real simple -- just ignore argumentative posts and just talk about Cadillacs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ugh..... Fred, I asked you kindly to back off or didn't you see that. Why the pissing contest? No one treated you this why when you showed up if I recall and to be honest with you, in the old days you would have been tossed around like a rag doll, the board has mellowed. Drop this, and get back to Cadillacs it's not fair to a new member who last time I looked owns a Cadillac.

By the way 1LowDeville, that car is in great shape. You got a good one, very lucky. Before you drive to Florida I would change all hoses, filters and fluids. Check your vacuum hoses. In addition, I would repack the inner and outer wheel bearings if you have them in the front, which i think you do and replace the wheel seals. Don't have the transmission fluid, coolant or steering fluid flushed, flushing can cause more problems a lot of shops are selling flushing. You probably have seen flushing advertised on TV. When you plan to change the fluids talk to us. Do a search under, Flush...

Good Luck with it, post some interior pictures. I am going to be honest with you, I fell out of love with Cadillac about 1976 or so till 1991. My parents had a 55, 59, 62, 64, 65, and I had a 66, 68, 74, 91 and 96. I almost bought an 81 that was a company car but declined. At the time I lived in New York City and parking was a problem and they were stealing the front bumpers off while you slept..... It as an epidemic. Eventually they welded the bumpers on. Good Luck with it.. If you are going to keep it, you should find a factory service manual on ebay.

There are a few good caddy scrap yards we will have to dig them up for you.. check out this one http://www.car-parts.com

Check out this link to the 1980 Cadillac History:

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/cad80.htm

my '80 fleetwood handled great, all the suspension was stock, with rear air shocks.

i never had a problem throwing it around country roads here in the uk, i don't think i lost the back even in the pouring rain.

lower it if you think it will make it look good, it's your car.

the worst part of these cars is that 368 motor, what a crock of crap. the left hand exhaust manifold has a nasty habit of overheating and cracking right through and they are hard to find in junkyards. drive them hard and fast and they can crack without warning, it's partly due to the heat riser for the carb restricting airflow around the exhaust.

also the inlet manifold is very low and fuel can form a puddle in the bottom very quickly if the motor won't start easy. they can be a right *smurf* to start sometimes.

i'm not sure but i don't think you can get many performance parts for the 368.

a lot of people just swap out the motor for one that you can tune more easily.

hey fred old chap, what's this about us brits typing in a different style? that's just not cricket, anyone for tea?

The 1981 DeVille has the DFI version of the 368 with 8-6-4 variable displacement, so the intake manifold puddling shouldn't happen with this engine. I don't know about the cramped exhaust manifold but it doesn't sound like the egine that Nigel had.

If you have problems with the 368 and want to use another year, here is what was happening with Cadilllac motors in the 1980 time frame:

Year Bore Stroke Displacement

1974 4.3 4.1 472

1974 4.3 4.3 500

1975 4.3 4.3 500

1976 4.3 4.3 500

1977 4.1 4.1 425

1978 4.1 4.1 425

1979 4.1 4.1 425

1980 3.8 4.1 368

1981 3.8 4.1 368

1982 88 84 249

There were some other engines offered during this period, including the Olds 350 Diesel, the Olds 350 cid and 307 cid gas V8 engines, and even the Buick 252 (4.1 liter) V6 but these were the Cadillac V8's. You can see the first aluminum V8 in 1982, but I think any of the big iron V8's will go in the 1981, and a lot of the parts will be interchangeable, including aftermarket parts.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Low Deville,

You have more of a level head than I thought you did over there..

I didn't mean to be a dick, I just misread you and your intentions.

That said,

Your point is well made... this is for Cadillac discussions

hey fred old chap, what's this about us brits typing in a different style? that's just not cricket, anyone for tea?

Well, I like the way you talk up there... and British women are foxy B)

Ugh..... Fred, I asked you kindly to back off or didn't you see that. Why the pissing contest? No one treated you this why when you showed up if I recall and to be honest with you, in the old days you would have been tossed around like a rag doll, the board has mellowed. Drop this, and get back to Cadillacs it's not fair to a new member who last time I looked owns a Cadillac.

I've realised, and should have realised sooner that this isn't the place to discuss it..

But I'd like to know just what you mean... did I do something wrong when I first came here?

If so I'd like to remember just what that was-- PM Me.

Thank you.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Thanks Fred. No you had a bad reputation and were notorious for inane posts and you were booted from the other board. That's all :lol: I think we have treated you respectfully even though your style can be a little rough around the edges.. Let's extend that welcome to everyone.

In the past you would have been labeled a troll and we were not easy on trolls.. We have morphed into a kinder and gentler group I am sure due to Bruce's gentleman like qualities (certainly not due to mine :lol:)

Thanks Fred. No you had a bad reputation and were notorious for inane posts and you were booted from the other board. That's all :lol: I think we have treated you respectfully even though your style can be a little rough around the edges.. Let's extend that welcome to everyone.

In the past you would have been labeled a troll and we were not easy on trolls.. We have morphed into a kinder and gentler group I am sure due to Bruce's gentleman like qualities (certainly not due to mine :lol:)

Let's be clear... that all happened on that other board.

Half of it was my fault due to being loaded and Half of it was them making me mad and angry.

(They would not let it go, when they wanted to know what I do for my living)

I can't go into what happened between me and the owner because;

Bruce has asked me not to put other boards down on here.

I think Nunnaly is a heck of a good guy for that.

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Exactly my POINT, I saw your threads over there. AND... we have treated you respectfully even though at times you are also LOADED here and admit to it... :lol:

It was due to all of us. :D

Elaborate for me please, I am not taking credit, I have said, we :lol:

Exactly my POINT, I saw your threads over there. AND... we have treated you respectfully even though at times you are also LOADED here and admit to it... :lol:

Yea, I don't mind admitting it when I am, but I don't seem to get mad if I am on here when I am loaded..

I seem to really dig this forum

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Elaborate for me please, I am not taking credit, I have said, we :lol:

I started out with an impulsive post

"It was due to me. :rolleyes: :
I chickened out and edited the post to something more mature.

But, to answer your question, BBF, I do think that our collective community develops its culture as it pleases, and it is indeed all of us that set the overall tone of this board. I think that a group of people who are enthusiasts of a quality car with 2% of the market and who like to help others is likely to be, by and large, a bunch of gentlemen. Over time, that becomes the culture of the board. In the final analysis, it's what we all really want and we make it happen unconsciously.

Well said Jim. I do see you step in often however to mediate conflict and that's good, we all try to maintain order in our own way. Some days I am good and it, and some days bad at it :lol: and its those times I appreciate someone else being the mediator. Of course, I am hoping that the day we have a serious troll irritant, that we all support each other also. I have not seen this group as a hole to support/aid a member in distress yet. I am hopeful. But as you said, the group moves as a unit and will develop. In many ways, I think we are getting more refined and not acting with a mob mentality. There are days however I miss the MOB.. :lol:

By the way do you think the group develops as it pleases or do you think its a chemistry that balances extremes.

An example of that, is a discussion of a person who has an engine blow 6 months out of warranty there is the side that feels that GM should pay because its only six months out of warranty and they can afford it and stick it to them, and sue them, etc and there is the group that feels, hey you warranty is DONE.... Game Over, its a risk you take they owe you nothing... Those camps cause the group to have strong interchanges of ideology and the two sides sometimes agree to disagree. I find it all interesting however, and I think we are headed in the right direction.

There's nothing like a good MOB scene every now and then just to spice things up. :lol:

Bring on the Trolls! And bring on a little more COW BELL :lol:

Speaking of that, where is my signiture :lol: I had it turned off... just fixed it

I coulda used a little more COW BELL! :lol:

This is the best:

EXCEPT, once my pants are on, I MAKE GOLD RECORDS! OMG :lol:

All I can say is everyone isn't going to be the same. That said, I must admit Fred you have a free-spirited personality. Actually, you've made me crack up on a number of occasions with some of the wild things you say. :lol: As long as we care and show respect, differences in personality can actually enhance this forum. I think you're a good guy with a good heart and I think that is most important.

I tend to think 1LowDeville that you will mellow as you become more aquatinted with the members of Caddyinfo. There are good people on this site that go out of their way to help others. Sometimes members may be a bit blunt but it doesn’t mean it’s a personal attack. But whatever you do, don’t trash GM or Cadillac—Trust me! There’s one member who goes by the name of ‘scotty’ who will make a rare appearance and read you the riot act. :lol:

Welcome!

Archived