CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi Newbie here with new purchase

1LowDeville

I'm glad I wasn't the only one picking up the photoshop look. Heh, but I think it'll look sharp once all the mods are done. Personally I like the lowered look. It's some of the crazy paint jobs on customized cars that eeks me out. But that customized 66 in black looked stinky hot!

What area of central Pa. are you from? I grew up 15 minutes outside of Lebanon County. Three things that consistently come out of central Pa. are racers (my cousins, Sr. and Jr., both race nascar and dirt), customizers/modifiers, and unbelieveably good German food (Pennsylvania Dutch). 1LowDeville is right about the amount of minorities. That can partially be attributed to the "assimilating facilities" located at Fort Indian Town Gap.

Welcome aboard! I'm anxious to see the finished product.

btw....I know you took offense to KHE's comment on the first page but you kind of responded with an elephant gun when he poked you with a toothpick. It's obvious that customizing runs in your veins. KHE is one of the most considerate and well liked members on this board. He rarely has junk posts and doesn't post outside his expertise. He's very knowledgeable in certain areas of Cadillacs and I think you'll discover that and find him very useful when the need arrises.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya you can have full control over the suspension when its on air ride - you get 8 valves which control the ability of the car - Its basically the same setup that tractor trailers have on them - except those trucks can't lay frame:) Well i take that back they can - chromeshopmafia.com did one (With A crazy paint job ) they put HUGE air bags in the front suspension to make it go up and down - it layed out pretty hard too ..

MY project .

well - lol - will take time - its become obvious to me that no body makes a lowering spring for these cars .. the next thing to putting air bags on this is cutting the springs . and im not sure im ready to do that .

i need a caddy emblem for the hood and i need the peice for the trunk . i didn't put that on my list - totally forgot- --- grrr aftermarket - They don't have a aftermarket kit so i can put my cd player - y? Cause this thing has the ORIGINAL 8 TRACK in it ! ANYone wanta buy a 8 track stereo ? works well except the stations and clock don't show on the face of the radio . Previous owner said the clock would show up once in a while but not to often in the past 10 yrs i 'd say . The radio works 100% other wise . i'll take best offer for it - as i won't be able to reinstall it after my cd player gets installed if i decide to sell the car . Gotta cut the benzel to fit the new radio.

mike.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one picking up the photoshop look. Heh, but I think it'll look sharp once all the mods are done. Personally I like the lowered look. It's some of the crazy paint jobs on customized cars that eeks me out. But that customized 66 in black looked stinky hot!

What area of central Pa. are you from? I grew up 15 minutes outside of Lebanon County. Three things that consistently come out of central Pa. are racers (my cousins, Sr. and Jr., both race nascar and dirt), customizers/modifiers, and unbelieveably good German food (Pennsylvania Dutch). 1LowDeville is right about the amount of minorities. That can partially be attributed to the "assimilating facilities" located at Fort Indian Town Gap.

Welcome aboard! I'm anxious to see the finished product.

btw....I know you took offense to KHE's comment on the first page but you kind of responded with an elephant gun when he poked you with a toothpick. It's obvious that customizing runs in your veins. KHE is one of the most considerate and well liked members on this board. He rarely has junk posts and doesn't post outside his expertise. He's very knowledgeable in certain areas of Cadillacs and I think you'll discover that and find him very useful when the need arrises.

well i hate pennsylvania - but yet it gives me the cheapest insurance :) ( IM paying 281 for 6 months on the caddy :) haha) uh i live 1hr south of philly the stink whole that i live is called west grove - where we're part of the biggest mushroom sellers in the area - theres 11 mushroom farms around this area (west grove is basically a dot on the map)

i may have fired back harsh but its in the past - and lets leave it that way ok?

minorities - (Sp?) for one im white- I'm not black - nor am i hispanic or "mexican"

mexicans have the wild colored cars . i'm a custom truck enthusiast who often times gets confused with Import racers which give us MINI-Truckers A BAD rep . YA - I STILL consider myself a mini -trucker even tho i'm rollin a caddy laddy . In fact i'm considering pickin up a ranger if they'll let me have it free or payments - so - ya i still consider my self 100% minitrucker -

Regis :

thanks for your comments about the lowered cars /trucks .. SHOWS some older (sorry to put u in that catagory sense i don't know your age im not tryin to insult you ) Generations have Respect for what we mini-truckers do - Its basically what everyone done in thier past with hot rods but with a new generation twist . I Admire the fact when older people take the time out to admire our work as much as when we admire thiers.

Now i just need to work out the money issues and i 'll see if i can get this thing lowered- Ttyl - its late.

mike ( 1lowdeville)

If you simply go to a catalog of auto springs, they come by diameter, spring rate, and length, not by car make. You can get anything you want if you find someone willing to order you a custom spring. These springs are less expensive than stock springs because they aren't stocked -- they are made to order, with about 60-90 days delivery. I know, because I have "fixed" or leveled cars that have had engine changes that way.

Of course, I grew up in the car business, but that was a long time ago and I can't do that anymore myself. But a good suspension shop will have a general purpose replacement spring catalog and can help you. If you go that route, you can keep the original springs for a backup or to sell with the car later.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

well - lol - will take time - its become obvious to me that no body makes a lowering spring for these cars .. the next thing to putting air bags on this is cutting the springs . and im not sure im ready to do that .

i need a caddy emblem for the hood and i need the peice for the trunk . i didn't put that on my list - totally forgot- --- grrr aftermarket - They don't have a aftermarket kit so i can put my cd player - y? Cause this thing has the ORIGINAL 8 TRACK in it ! ANYone wanta buy a 8 track stereo ? works well except the stations and clock don't show on the face of the radio . Previous owner said the clock would show up once in a while but not to often in the past 10 yrs i 'd say . The radio works 100% other wise . i'll take best offer for it - as i won't be able to reinstall it after my cd player gets installed if i decide to sell the car . Gotta cut the benzel to fit the new radio.

mike.

I wouldn't cut the springs, my man. I knew a guy that did that to a Malibu and he said the ride was terrible. I will admit it looked nice, though. I would definitely do air bags or follow Jim's advice above (or below depending on how you sort!).

Do you just need an emblem or a hood ornament? I have a hood ornament from an '84 Brougham that's in really nice shape on eBay. As far as the piece for the trunk - if you are referring to the 'V' Winged Victory applique I have an extra of that as well. Come to think of it, I have a lot of that sort of thing laying around - PM me if you're interested and I'll send you links/pics.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

minorities - (Sp?) for one im white- I'm not black - nor am i hispanic or "mexican"

mexicans have the wild colored cars . i'm a custom truck enthusiast who often times gets confused with Import racers which give us MINI-Truckers A BAD rep . YA - I STILL consider myself a mini -trucker even tho i'm rollin a caddy laddy . In fact i'm considering pickin up a ranger if they'll let me have it free or payments - so - ya i still consider my self 100% minitrucker -

Some mexicans drive stock cadillacs and are on this forums too. Not all drive wild colored vehicles.

You used up a lot of confusing real estate for a single sentence!

Next time I hope you'll leave out the quote. :P

Point well taken, though.

Regards,

Warren :)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Those of us who have not had professional diversity and sensitivity training from our employers may have a gaffe, due to absent-minded clacking away at the keyboard in the late evening or during a short break at work. Those of us who have had diversity and sensitivity training may have gaffes too, but hopefully not very often.

I personally apologize to anyone who may have felt any offense by any post by anyone here. I am absolutely sure that no one means any offense to anyone. Everyone is here either to get help, give help, or for fellowship, and everyone is a gentleman.

Just don't say anything about Texans. B)

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Some mexicans drive stock cadillacs and are on this forums too. Not all drive wild colored vehicles.

what are you getting at pos2nat ? from what i see in MY area and thru parts of pa i have driven thru i see aLOT of illegal mexicans here . ( thats part of the job problem around here . Cause they hire illegals to work and they pay them less - I CAN'T survive on 7$ an hr and jobs that used to pay 12$ an hr now pay 6-7$ an hour cause they hire illegals to do it cause its CHEAPER for the employers to do . i seen the game and it makes me sick - they come here on a work visa work 6 months pack them selfs `10 deep in a house share the cost of the housing (which is smart in a way ) 1/2 don't have a drivers license nor insurance . I UNDERSTAND there are US. CITZEN mexicans here on this forum - good for them i have no issue as they are LEGAL . its the illegals that i have a issue with . I ALSO have a major complaint as they drive the new esclades with 22's or 24's thats messed up they suck the pa public assistance dry with thier "need for food stamps" yet they drive a esclade ? i don't get it. i didn't wanta go personal here but i'll do it now - sense its gone that way- My mom applied for public assistance she makes 220$ average a week - and the state gave her stamps to help her along but guess what they gave her ?? 69$ for a WHOLE month . u can't buy a months groceries on that . Then they cut it off as they claim that she makes to much - how you figure - house rent is almost 600$ a month plus all utilities- according to my numbers she DON'T make enough to survive ! Because of my lack of vehicle til now i haven't been able to get work and help with money - but still even if i got a job it still isn't enough - I'm sure you can't live on 250 -280 a wk like i can't right ?? when i worked b4 i used to bring 284$ a week home and i pay a bill and have nothing to show for it after putting gas in the tank - (now with this caddy its gona hurt even more ! ) working 40hrs a week for 284 stupid ! how can any one survive on that?? i don't want to work my self to death working 2 jobs or workin 80hrs a week either - its not fair - if i had money to go to school i 'd do it - i wanted to go to auto motive schooling to get a better job but i don't think i could pull it off- .

IF I OFFEND any mexicans here i'm sorry but with the illegals that are around here it just makes me gag how they get so much from the state and how ppl who really need it don't get it . its abuse of the system .

ALSO - BEFORE any one says it - There is NO job under me that i won't do - I just feel i should be paid well for it - There jobs that are dirty /disgusting and tire you out that i feel you should pay someone an honest wage for doing such work .

mike.

I wouldn't cut the springs, my man. I knew a guy that did that to a Malibu and he said the ride was terrible. I will admit it looked nice, though. I would definitely do air bags or follow Jim's advice above (or below depending on how you sort!).

Do you just need an emblem or a hood ornament? I have a hood ornament from an '84 Brougham that's in really nice shape on eBay. As far as the piece for the trunk - if you are referring to the 'V' Winged Victory applique I have an extra of that as well. Come to think of it, I have a lot of that sort of thing laying around - PM me if you're interested and I'll send you links/pics.

MM

i need the hood emblem and i need the peice that rotates up out the way that covers the trunk lock .. if you have em - how much you looking to get for them and location ???

pm me if you think they 'll work - late.

mike.

mike.

MM

i need the hood emblem and i need the peice that rotates up out the way that covers the trunk lock .. if you have em - how much you looking to get for them and location ???

mike.

You might try ebay motors, they have a "distance nearest" search feature that is great for finding local parts.

mike.

MM

mike.

You might try ebay motors, they have a "distance nearest" search feature that is great for finding local parts.

yaya i 'll look into that -

now i have a new thing that happened over the weekend .. pulled into the gas station to get gas- shut the car off i had the key out and the car was STILL running at a very low idle Also the generator lite was on..i hit the gas thinkin it would help shut it off ( previous older car had a problem shutting off before but it wasnt a big issue with that car ) so i though maybe if i do the same thing with this it would shut it off . instead of just shuttin off it back fired- ... sunday i went to a farmers market with a friend and this guy with a 84 caddy comes up to me wanting to know if i'd sell my caddy . i said nah. Any ways - we get to talkin and all . I Told him what it did - he said start it up and we poped the hood and he listened - then crawled under neath and said my catlictic converter blew - And is gona cause me lack of power. I kinda figured when the car acted up at the gas station it was 1 of two things 1 the cat blew - or 2 one the gaskets blew cause the exhaust is considerably louder .. hopefully this issue with the motor not shutting off right away and at low idle don't do this long maybe its a serious issue? i'm no mechanic but shade tree some what ..

mike.

now i have a new thing that happened over the weekend .. pulled into the gas station to get gas- shut the car off i had the key out and the car was STILL running at a very low idle Also the generator lite was on..i hit the gas thinkin it would help shut it off ( previous older car had a problem shutting off before but it wasnt a big issue with that car ) so i though maybe if i do the same thing with this it would shut it off . instead of just shuttin off it back fired- ... sunday i went to a farmers market with a friend and this guy with a 84 caddy comes up to me wanting to know if i'd sell my caddy . i said nah. Any ways - we get to talkin and all . I Told him what it did - he said start it up and we poped the hood and he listened - then crawled under neath and said my catlictic converter blew - And is gona cause me lack of power. I kinda figured when the car acted up at the gas station it was 1 of two things 1 the cat blew - or 2 one the gaskets blew cause the exhaust is considerably louder .. hopefully this issue with the motor not shutting off right away and at low idle don't do this long maybe its a serious issue? i'm no mechanic but shade tree some what ..

mike.

Are you familiar with the term 'dieseling'? That happens when the idle is either set too high (or mixture to rich??) It sounds like the car is trying to run after its' shut off, may also sound like marbles in a coffe can while doing that. I had that happen a few times and once it also backfired.

Does that sound like your problem? Can't speak to the exhaust component...seems to me like it's carb related.

Just my $.02.

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

mike.

Are you familiar with the term 'dieseling'? That happens when the idle is either set too high (or mixture to rich??) It sounds like the car is trying to run after its' shut off, may also sound like marbles in a coffe can while doing that. I had that happen a few times and once it also backfired.

Does that sound like your problem? Can't speak to the exhaust component...seems to me like it's carb related.

Just my $.02.

Mark

yip

my friend just said the same thing- the cat maybe blown too - sense its the oem from 80 . so its bout due (148.400 k or so now ) Not so much the marble sound but it low idles after key is off - friend says its pressure that the cat ususally takes care of that it don't have any where to go may have pushed the unburn fuel back into the motor making the motor reverse run - it don't happen every time i shut it off - its only done this 2 times. but the cat is deff blown cause its loud now - and the muffler is new - so its not that .

meinekee (sp?) price for replacing converter is 200 installed (starting price) untill they look under neath see what needs done . which means it could go to 300-400 ish .. :(

If the converter was plugged it would probably cause the dieseling. Sounds like you are going to need a new cat converter and possibly an exhaust.

Since you are a Customizer, fabricate a pipe to replace the cat con unless you are in a state that checks those things at inspection time.

yip

my friend just said the same thing- the cat maybe blown too - sense its the oem from 80 . so its bout due (148.400 k or so now ) Not so much the marble sound but it low idles after key is off - friend says its pressure that the cat ususally takes care of that it don't have any where to go may have pushed the unburn fuel back into the motor making the motor reverse run - it don't happen every time i shut it off - its only done this 2 times. but the cat is deff blown cause its loud now - and the muffler is new - so its not that .

meinekee (sp?) price for replacing converter is 200 installed (starting price) untill they look under neath see what needs done . which means it could go to 300-400 ish .. :(

Hmmm, I'd shop around just to make sure you're getting a good price...you're right, though with the exhaust system getting to be over 25 years old I'm sure there are some things that need to be fixed. Is yours Y-pipe into single exhaust?

You are better off to replace the cat with at turbo muffler than a pipe if you want that last torque peak just before redline. In fact, I would recommend a high-flow catalytic converter -- they aren't expensive and they do the job just as well as a turbo muffler -- and you are legal.

yip

Hmmm, I'd shop around just to make sure you're getting a good price...you're right, though with the exhaust system getting to be over 25 years old I'm sure there are some things that need to be fixed. Is yours Y-pipe into single exhaust?

im not geting the whole exhaust done - it don't need that - the muffler is pretty new - and i think some of the other exhaust parts are pretty new - the cat is the oem thats all . so that is what i'm lookin for - searching online now - i found a replacement around abouts 50$-60 $ i may go with but have to find it again . i'm thinkin if i buy the cat my self and take it to this exhaust shop they'll probably charge like 100$ to install. if that . still lookin around 160ish . which still isn't bad of a price.

If the converter was plugged it would probably cause the dieseling. Sounds like you are going to need a new cat converter and possibly an exhaust.

Since you are a Customizer, fabricate a pipe to replace the cat con unless you are in a state that checks those things at inspection time.

well if i want to cheap it out for a while i could cut the old cat out - and weld in a pc of pipe .. but i don't have a welder . my inspection is good til next may 07 so i am not concerned for inspection purposes . but ya it needs to be done either way - my exhaust system is pretty new any ways - if you read above - i said my muffler was newly installed within the last 2-3 years . and as i stated in my previous postings this car was barely driven 7k in 7 years. and the cat is the o.e.m one with148k on it so its time for a new one .

Archived