CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bad head gaskets

mikeal1892

hmm, if you would have gotten together with KHE and bought a 2 post car hoist for $1800 or so. than KHE could have done your heads and took the lift home with him and than fixed his car. I bet he wishes his job would be done in 2-3 days. my brother has a nice 30x60 pole barn he just built and it has 75% concrete floors now and he wants to finish the rest and than maybe buy a car hoist. I have always wanted a hoist.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm, if you would have gotten together with KHE and bought a 2 post car hoist for $1800 or so. than KHE could have done your heads and took the lift home with him and than fixed his car. I bet he wishes his job would be done in 2-3 days. my brother has a nice 30x60 pole barn he just built and it has 75% concrete floors now and he wants to finish the rest and than maybe buy a car hoist. I have always wanted a hoist.

Hey,

I would love to have a set up like that ! When I get my house sold Im gonna to buy a place with a bigger garage so I could do something like that.

Michael

Hey Michael,

Don't feel so bad, I bought my 97 eldo with only 71,000 miles on it about two years ago and come to find out it had green coolant in it and had it flushed and changed. Two days later my coolant was leaking, the dealership replaced the water pump, radiator and coolant tank for free. It was still leaking, so I replaced all of the hoses. It was still leaking, then i noticed white guck in the oil. Took it back and they said the head gaskets had blown, i only had the car 8 months. It was the dealerships fault for selling it to me and not doing the 150 point inspection they said they did :angry: They finally agreed to pay for a third of the head gasket job ($2800) and got the head gaskets replaced which i was without my car for a week and a half, they timeserted it and i have not had any problems with it till recently. It was running hot and come to find out the thermostat was bad, now it is running good again. It feels so good when my baby is in good working condition :D Hope you don't have any more problems :P

Hello Again and Welcome Whozbad, :) Thanks for your first post !

I got the car back today. And I have a few issues the cruise and the aligment was really really off. But the car runs alot quieter and Shifts like its brand new. I did let them power flush it after a long debate. I do think it was worth it. The car shifts better than it did when I bought it with 60k miles on it. Im going to flush the coolant again do to the build up that was in the cooling system from my stuiped stunt with Bars head gasket sealer. (see my other thread"coolant") They really took care of us on this. They gave us a 225 credit and I got the parts at cost that also helped. We have been buying them from them for 11 years finally I get a break ! Curry's really took care of me on this. It was fixed in 4 days. My final bill was right at $2,700. This repair has a 12 month /12 K mile warrenty. And I will be looking for any little thing I can find wrong with it :P

I also had the crank case resealed all the crank was even taken out of it. And the transmission flushed with new gaskets and the oil pan gaskets replace. It was done without being timeserted. They have not had good luck with timeserting for what ever reason. But soon I hope I'm able to buy a Deville or something and timesert. And they dont do many head gaskets but if they were to have offered to service the cooling system ( when the first owner owned it) like they should have I feel this wouldnt have happend! So only time will tell.

Thank-you all so much for your kind words,

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

I wish you well with this "repair".

But!

The collective wisdom and experience available to you on this board tells you to Timesert head bolt holes. But you say "It was also done without being timeserted. They have not had good luck with timeserting....". Maybe their luck would improve if the proper procedures were followed?

This reader will be watching for your next overheating report.

Likewise the collective wisdom and experience here is heavy on the side of not flushing the transmission fluid.

This reader will be watching for your next transmission acting funny report.

Not to mention the many threads that deal with "head gaskets cannot be repaired with a bottle of chemicals".

Sorry for pileing-on here but, good grief! I said it about a month ago, and I still feel like "two plus two is not making four".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It was done without being timeserted. They have not had good luck with timeserting for what ever reason.

OMG!

I hope if you sell this car you are honest enough to tell the next purchaser that this repair was done improperly. Mike this is shocking. Good Luck with it

post-2998-1145570660.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Not timserted IMHO is a guarantee of trouble down the road. I would trade this veh. in at the same dealership on a different one. Give them their problem back or if you keep it, dont keep it over 12K mos/miles.

The reseon you had a head gasket problem has not been corrected. The head bolts pulled loose and without timeserts they will pull again.

Do yourself a favor and dont sell it to a friend.

Good luck.....

1. Never ever timesert a Northstar, if you are not looking for trouble.

2. Flush the cooling system and fill it with green stuff. Screw DexCool! :angry: The concentration of the antifreeze does not really matter. You can use plain water as well. Tap water is better than distilled one since the latter does not contain the minerals and vitamins to keep the cooling system in the best shape.

3. Never ever add that Bars Leaks crap! It plugs the heater core, and destroys head gaskets.

4. Power flush transmission every 3.000 miles or 3 months to keep the tranny healthy. Use only syntetic ATF.

5. Change the motor oil and filter every 3.000 molis or 3 months. Use only Mobil-1. Disregard the Oil Life Monitor. It is designed for lazy people. ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

One more, AND NEVER EVER CONSULT THIS BOARD, YOUR OWN MECHANIC KNOWS MUCH BETTER

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

2. Flush the cooling system and fill it with green stuff. Screw DexCool! :angry: The concentration of the antifreeze does not really matter. You can use plain water as well. Tap water is better than distilled one since the latter does not contain the minerals and vitamins to keep the cooling system in the best shape.

3. Never ever add that Bars Leaks crap! It plugs the heater core, and destroys head gaskets.

4. Power flush transmission every 3.000 miles or 3 months to keep the tranny healthy. Use only syntetic ATF.

5. Change the motor oil and filter every 3.000 molis or 3 months. Use only Mobil-1. Disregard the Oil Life Monitor. It is designed for lazy people. ;)

ADALLAK,

You think too much like me ! God lov ya ! I was going to do the Synthic fluid in the transmission but I have spent so much on my car in this setting. It did get a new filter kit and everyhting while everything was apart. That will come here after while. Also Moblie One Synthic 10w 30 is the best fuild I have ever used. I would be willing to bet some money mines cleaner than others. I was there when the valve covers were removed and I was so impresseed with how clean it was. Prior to this though the car didnt use or burn any oil. IT starts right up seems to be quicker and runs so smooth. Im very happy with it. Altogether the car has 15 new seals/gaskets in it. Thats just what I could count.. But you know its only a car and only a few grand so what. I bought this car 2 years ago for 7 grand with several issues and I managed with the forums help and (bbf's mike) to fix it. I think with the suspension and buying the car and this repair I may have 11 grand in it ;)

I doubt I will ever get rid of the car anyways. I always feel bad for letting go of my cars anyways for whatever reason. But I did like that 02 STS but I know it has issues for the price and I dont think I want to go that route again with a Seville.

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

One more, AND NEVER EVER CONSULT THIS BOARD, YOUR OWN MECHANIC KNOWS MUCH BETTER

:lol:

SO,

They the dealer basicly refused to timesert it. They say they havent had good luck with doing it. They work on them not me so much unless its not as involved. So as I say time will tell if it doesnt last it doesnt last. This is what I had to do. I dont have the time or space to do it right now. :(Its only a car not my entire life. I love it very much and will do whatever I have to do to keep it in good shape. Its not got but a few months until its no longer my daily driver. She will sit in the garage on jack stands through the winter. I've knwon the service manager out there for years and he reallly knocked the price down on this deal anyways the car has been out there for everything from paint work to power seat issues or a rebuild ? LOL

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Well folks, this is the reason GM is going down the shutes. A Cadillac dealer refusing to do the head gasket job correctly as they have not had good luck with it. Amazing. This is a GM problem, GM should IMMEDIATELY close this dealership as they are incompetent and inept. We have had DIYer's have success with time-serting. For a cost of $2700 this engine should have been timeserted AND the case half leak should have been fixed. I have been a big supporter of GM but if they can't make sure that proper repair procedures are passed down to the dealerships and if they don't provide proper training, their days are numbered for sure.

Even with BARRY94 saying this, the engine was NOT timeserted:

I will third Ted's post - do not let them replace the headgaskets without Timeserting the block.

When I purchased my STS in '97 it had a burned exhaust valve. I removed the head and replaced the valve.

I did NOT use Timeserts as I did not know anything about them or this Discussion Board.

I did however, very carefully install the head bolts/torque as per the manual.

In less than two years three head bolts had pulled. All the head bolts torqued correctly at assembly.

It was later that they pulled.

I cannot stress enough the importance of installing the Timeserts now.

Without the Timeserts, it's a gamble with poor odds.

Barry

Mike what I don't understand is, AT WHAT POINT did you know they were not going to timesert the block? When you took the car there you said IT WILL BE TIMESERTED. These guys did you no favors NOR did they save you any money. Why didnt you come back and tell us that it wasn't being timeserted as ask what we thought about that? After all of the members here stating how important timeserting was why did you allow them NOT to timesert the block? When did you find out they were not timeserting it? Please stop fluffing this off with lines like "its only a car, its not my life" that is a cop out. You have to be a troll or this is a JOKE and you are just yanking our chains...

They have not had good luck with Timeserting? They are full of crap or are not following the Timesert directions if they haven't had good luck. When the proper procedures are followed, the Timesert repair is stronger than the original threads in the engine block...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

. Use only syntetic ATF.

" ADALLAK,

You think too much like me ! God lov ya ! I was going to do the Synthic fluid in the transmission but I have spent so much on my car in this setting."

Did someone miss Adallak's sarcasm here?

Me thinks so B)

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

:blink:

Can´t believe those ignorant mechanics, they deserve to be shot.

Shooting ignorant mechanics is illegal in this country. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hello Again and Welcome Whozbad, :) Thanks for your first post !

I got the car back today. And I have a few issues the cruise and the aligment was really really off. But the car runs alot quieter and Shifts like its brand new. I did let them power flush it after a long debate. I do think it was worth it. The car shifts better than it did when I bought it with 60k miles on it. Im going to flush the coolant again do to the build up that was in the cooling system from my stuiped stunt with Bars head gasket sealer. (see my other thread"coolant") They really took care of us on this. They gave us a 225 credit and I got the parts at cost that also helped. We have been buying them from them for 11 years finally I get a break ! Curry's really took care of me on this. It was fixed in 4 days. My final bill was right at $2,700. This repair has a 12 month /12 K mile warrenty. And I will be looking for any little thing I can find wrong with it :P

I also had the crank case resealed all the crank was even taken out of it. And the transmission flushed with new gaskets and the oil pan gaskets replace. It was done without being timeserted. They have not had good luck with timeserting for what ever reason. But soon I hope I'm able to buy a Deville or something and timesert. And they dont do many head gaskets but if they were to have offered to service the cooling system ( when the first owner owned it) like they should have I feel this wouldnt have happend! So only time will tell.

Thank-you all so much for your kind words,

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Hey Michael,

Hope all is well now, believe me i understand what you have been going through... Because this car is the only car i have and rely on to go to work every day. Got to do what you think is right, it's your car and not anyone elses. People can give advice and their opinions but you have the ultimate choice and you should always go with your gut instincts, besides it's coming out of your paycheck :lol:

Good luck :)

ADALLAK,

You think too much like me ! God lov ya ! I was going to do the Synthic fluid in the transmission but I have spent so much on my car in this setting. It did get a new filter kit and everyhting while everything was apart. That will come here after while. Also Moblie One Synthic 10w 30 is the best fuild I have ever used. I would be willing to bet some money mines cleaner than others. I was there when the valve covers were removed and I was so impresseed with how clean it was. Prior to this though the car didnt use or burn any oil. IT starts right up seems to be quicker and runs so smooth. Im very happy with it. Altogether the car has 15 new seals/gaskets in it. Thats just what I could count.. But you know its only a car and only a few grand so what. I bought this car 2 years ago for 7 grand with several issues and I managed with the forums help and (bbf's mike) to fix it. I think with the suspension and buying the car and this repair I may have 11 grand in it ;)

I doubt I will ever get rid of the car anyways. I always feel bad for letting go of my cars anyways for whatever reason. But I did like that 02 STS but I know it has issues for the price and I dont think I want to go that route again with a Seville.

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Michael,

You can't be serious ?!?! Adallak was being sarcastic...you had to have caught that, right? Just curious, how old are you Michael?

I've been away a little while and just read the updates on this post...I can't believe what I just read! I thought Michael was part owner of an auto repair shop, and only took it to the dealer because timeserting was over their heads there at his shop and they didn't have the time.

Maybe my original suspicions were true. There was a Nicky, then there was that guy that came along after Nicky, that was peculiar...acted totally clueless. Do you remember BBF? I think he was from IN as well, maybe not. Like I said before, this is deja-vu to me. Just too peculiar. Nothing adds up and it makes no sense. I'm glad I have my boots on...the BS is deep in here!

I will third Ted's post - do not let them replace the headgaskets without Timeserting the block.

When I purchased my STS in '97 it had a burned exhaust valve. I removed the head and replaced the valve.

I did NOT use Timeserts as I did not know anything about them or this Discussion Board.

I did however, very carefully install the head bolts/torque as per the manual.

In less than two years three head bolts had pulled. All the head bolts torqued correctly at assembly.

It was later that they pulled.

I cannot stress enough the importance of installing the Timeserts now.

Without the Timeserts, it's a gamble with poor odds.

<_< Two years would give you enough time to save up for the inevitable. Besides in two years you could probably get another 20,000 to 30,000 miles. Yea, it is a gamble, but isn't life? ;)

Good Luck!!

Michael is 24. He is just beginning.

I have a son named Michael he is 26, I once told him, "you think education is expensive?, try stupidity!"

Michael is 24. He is just beginning.

I have a son named Michael he is 26, I once told him, "you think education is expensive?, try stupidity!"

Well that explains a lot, although I put him on 21 with a trust fund. You know, the age where you think you know it ALL, but don't know squat, and any and all advise and wisdom from your elders is just hog wash. The school of hard knocks eventually work it's magic though.

Not to keep kicking a dead horse...But when I had my headgaskets done at the dealership the warranty company only wanted to pay for the timesearting of 3 or 4 threads....The service advisor told me quote:

"you MUST get ALL the threads timeserted....If you don't the original threads will not hold the torque of the new bolts, eventually the bolt will work itself loose and the gasket will fail...WE HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE "

I really think it's time for GM to mandate that all "Cadillac" dealerships be GM authorized.....I.E. these dealerships MUST follow GM's guidelines...No more of this "well WE have had bad luck with timeserting...so WE don't want to do it"....Uh-uh..no more of that...Either they do the procedure correctly or GM yanks the right for the dealership to use the word "Cadillac" in any way, shape, or form....

Micheal I understand that you have worked with this dealership for years...But IMO they are guilty of gross negligence/incompetence and should not be allowed to present themselves as a "Cadillac" dealership...What they have just done is comprable to putting a bandaid on a cut right before you jump in the pool....Yeah...the bandaid will hold temporarily....but once you jump in the pool it's going to come loose and your going start bleeding again :(

A.J.

Archived