CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM recall

BUICK11

Just heard on news that the key recall now includes 2000 to 2005 Deville and 2004-11 DTS

2013-2014 ATS and CTS for a faulty shift cable.

I had a 2001 DTS for many years without a problem and currently own a 2011 DTS.

any additional information?

Included in the recall is the 2006-2014 Chevrolet Impala, in addition to the 2005-2009 Buick Lacrosse and 2000-2005 Cadillac Deville.

Certain 2004-2011 Cadillac DTS, 2006-2011 Buick Lacerne and 2004-2005 Buick Regal and 2006-2008 Chevy Monte Carlo cars are being recalled as well.

Posted Image

Ask your dealer about recalls when you get your next service. If any don't know of them, report back here and we'll get the TSB and put it on the web site. If Bruce can't manage that easily, I'll put them on mine and link them in my signature block.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

From what I read, the "recall" on the DTS consists of filling the hole in the key so that any weight (such as the fob) is not in a position to apply twisting force to the key. In other words, anything attached to the key will go through a hole in the middle of the key. Yes, it's a rather LAME fix, and it is even more LAME that the cost figures quoted for this little modification are so large. I suppose cost figures include the cost of notifying all owners of the issue, so maybe it's understandable. In the meantime, you are advised to remove any weight from the keyring and use JUST the key alone in the ignition. I hope GM is serious enough about this that I DO NOT need to wait for a TSB or a dealer visit (which will never happen) in order to implement the "fix".

The ATS and CTS recalls are a whole different matter.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I drove my first DTS 40,000 miles and now I have driven this one for 140,000 miles.

Never had a problem with it yet...but I only have my house key and a couple of mini credit card sized, store loyalty card thingys on it.

Almost no weight on it at all.

I am going to pass on the recall... I actually like the SLOT in the key.

If I was carrying a lot of weight on it, that would be a different story.

Posted Image

I drove my first DTS 40,000 miles and now I have driven this one for 140,000 miles.

Never had a problem with it yet...but I only have my house key and a couple of mini credit card sized, store loyalty card thingys on it.

They're going to fill the slot in the key??? With what? All I have on the key ring is the ignition key and two house keys. If that is all the recall is, I think I'm going to pass too. I thought the defect was internal to the switch?

I checked the GM recall site and entered my VIN but it does not show any open campaigns for my 2005 Deville. There was a disclaimer about a time lag for it to appear on the website but if the news media vultures are reporting it, it seems like the GM website should have it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They're going to fill the slot in the key??? With what? All I have on the key ring is the ignition key and two house keys. If that is all the recall is, I think I'm going to pass too. I thought the defect was internal to the switch?

I checked the GM recall site and entered my VIN but it does not show any open campaigns for my 2005 Deville. There was a disclaimer about a time lag for it to appear on the website but if the news media vultures are reporting it, it seems like the GM website should have it.

The recall has been reported to NHTSA, but not officially sent out to dealers yet.

It will probably be on the website in a few days.

https://my.cadillac.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1

Posted Image

They are going to MOSTLY fill the slot in the key, leaving a hole in the center of the slot. My best guess would be some kind of snap together plastic piece molded to fit the key slot, or maybe an entire replacement plastic head for the key.

The ACTUAL defect is internal to the switch, so I think we can classify this as more of a "workaround" to avoid replacing the switches themselves at much higher cost and shop time.

My ignition switch WAS replaced a couple of years ago when it quit sensing that the key had been removed (hence no exit mode for the drivers seat, etc.) It took them a couple of hours to do the work. I've never had an issue with it since, but how will I ever know if it was an upgraded part# switch? I think I'll go for the hole filler if and when I am notified. I have a few extra keys on my ring, as well as a pretty heavy fob with the remote start etc.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I see no reason to criticize a fix if it works and it leaves you with a quality driving experience.

JohnnyG has a very important point. If you take your car to the dealer for service, any active recalls that your car hasn't had will come up on the service manager's screen when they enter the VIN. But if you have an out-of-warranty car and you don't take it to the dealer often or at all (some people actually don't have their in-warranty cars serviced at a dealer because of distance, convenience, or preference), then you *must* call your dealer and ask about recalls. Have the VIN handy when you call.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Glad I clicked on this thread as the DTS has the fobs AND my daughter has a bunch of extra weight on it. The keys have the elongated slot still and I actually commented to her how easy it is to turn the ignition switch.... obviously not good combination.

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

Yeah - I'll take my keys to the dealer and have the insert added when I get the notification. I think that is a really chintzy fix though - I'd rather have new keys.

The thing that I wonder about is my 2013 Silverado has the same style of ignition key yet it is not listed in the recall - perhaps the ignition switch is different.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you don't have a lot of weight on your key-chain, you're safe without the insert (center key hole modification) though I would certainly use it (myself), if provided; even the faulty ignition switch (in the Cobalt/Ion) were/are safe if you just use the key alone (without added key-chain weight). What we're seeing (from GM), is IMO an over reaction, but in these litigious days, it seems that that is what is required. And as far as replacing keys, there is no need for the added expense (the inserts are more prudent, again IMO), and when dealing potentially with millions of vehicles, why waste (more) money.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

When new keys are available my preference is to just purchase new ones since I do not like the looks of the FIX. 2011 DTS Platinum. Wife has keyless 2012 SRX so no problem

Just wonder how long it will take to get the new blanks out to the parts departments?

Archived