CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

....... or rather "suddenly no life" from the starter. Seville 4,5 -90. Car ran perfect as always but after a short stop there is no sign of life from the starter. It is NOT from lack of power - everything else runs well - but on the last turn on the ignitionkey it´s all dead. Not a "click", no nothing. DIC says "all monitored systems ok". A bad starter usually goes from one miss every week to several attempts every time you start over a long time. Maybe the protective funktion on the transmission or a bad ignitionlock???? Any exp?

Run the gear selector through all position and then back to park or neutral. If the PRNDL switch is going then it won't start but you may be able to 'jiggle' it and get it working until you can replace.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I second that. Could be early symptom. Also could be dirty battery connections, or bad starter terminal. They do rarely go out without warning but it does happen

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My first thought was also the 'neutral safety switch' (as Bruce mentioned).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Check the wiring harness on the gear selsct switch on top of the trans. If the contacts are all green with corrosion, you'll get intemittent no crank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Another possible culprit would be the starter relay. If it does not work, the car will not start (and there will be no clicks), and they can fail intermittently. When I had a bad starter relay some years ago, sometimes the car would start like normal and sometimes it was dead. A trick that often worked then was to simply hold the key in the start position for a while, and after a second or so the starter would engage, starting the engine.

If you still have not isolated the problem, the following description may be helpful:

When you turn the ignition to the start position, the following should happen:

- a circuit is closed in the ignition lock, sending current through the starter relay,

- (the neutral safety switch must be closed for the above circuit to be closed),

- the starter relay closes another circuit that sends current to the coil in the starter,

- the coil in the starter thrusts a little gear forward,

- the little gear is now mechanically connected to the big starting gear on the engine,

- the movement of the mechanical gear closes another electrical circuit, engaging the actual starter motor.

I hope I did not overlook something, but if I did, hopefully someone can revise the description.

/Jonas

Tack Jonas! Nej, jag har inte löst problemet ännu då det inte återkommet vilket gör felsökning svårare........

Det enda jag inte är säker på är placering av startrelä. Har 4,5 inbyggt relä i startmotorn eller finns det ett yttre relä? Isf var/vilket?

KHE Can You be more specific on where I find the harness?

KHE Can You be more specific on where I find the harness?

Follow the shift cable to the top of the transmission. It will connect to a bellcrank bracket and the gear select switch will be mounted to the linkage assembly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

4.5: Not sure where to find the starter relay, but probably similar to Northstar.

Northstar (in a '97 DeVille): In the fuse box in front of the driver's side strut tower, together with other relays for headlights etc.

In my owner's manual, there is an illustration showing the location of the starter relay. In the manual for the '93 SeVille (downloadable manuals on cadillac.com date back to 1993, so I could not check one for the '90) I could not find any starter relay in the equivalent illustration. I suppose there should be one, but I am not sure.

• 9 months later...

I´m adressing this issue again. Trying to check the wiring harness as mentioned above by KHE. However there is two bundels going in there. One harness with 4 thin cabels and one that has 7 cabels (5 thin + 2 big ones). Anyone who can direct me from FSM for the -90 Seville?

Also still not sure if there is a separate relay?????

just been trying to work out different time zones between sweden and australia-looks like you are well asleep!

Short answer is yes there is a starter enable relay on this car ,will have to look up the fsm but allmost certain its behind the dash inside the car.I had a similar problem to you but its a few years back.Turned out it was the actual theft deterrent module and I replaced it. But clearly remember there were no messages or codes

.Few years on message kept coming up on the dash that engine might not start again when switched off.This was a key related problem those very delicate wires that run inside the column were damaged,In the end I just wired a resistor into the circuit.

Hope this helps in isolating your problem, it really has to be in this general area.Like me, we have to be our own mechanics given where we live with these cars but its still worth it!

You must check out that earth that Logan mentioned in your other thread.Seems like he is working on this stuff everyday.

Thanx! I have "odd hours" because I work at night.......

No messages or codes what so ever! Never problems with key! I have ordered a FSM but shipping takes time......

If there is a relay I should be able to hear it click?

Just looked up fsm .Relay is behind left hand side of instrument panel right next to one other relay theft deterrent relay. Starter relay has yellow yellow black wires now with relay pulled you can replace it or very easy to test where power is going to or coming from good luck trevor,

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress. Have power to starter motor. No crank - just a click! Guess a new starter is the best way to go?

It could be the starter solenoid and not the actual starter itself...

Solenoids will also sometimes be intermittent... they might work this morning and then not work the next time you try to start it.

Posted Image

Starters and starter solenoids can be rebuilt locally. I would go that route before I ordered from the U.S.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I had a very similar issue this winter turned out the nut holding the wire to the starter was loose.just to check it you would have to take your manifold , fuel rail,etc. Off

sts03

• 2 weeks later...

Archived