CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Deville won't shift right.

PAUL T

My Uncle has a 92 Deville with 4.9. He says the transmission feels like it is stuck in a higher gear, he thinks 3rd. When he goes to pull out it is not in 1st. He can manually shift to first and it pulls out fine. He says it shifts fine manually but not automatically if that makes sense. He did note that he cruise control won't engage either. Could this be a switch on the brake pedal?

I am 6 hours away and he is 80 years old and not computer literate for pulling codes. I might try to walk him through it but when I tried to get him to do it before he just could not figure it out.

I sent his wife an email with code pulling instructions but he did not seem like he wanted to attempt it. He was going to take it to a local transmission shop he is familiar with. I will let you know the outcome.

Cringe.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

He is just not a computer person. I think he is afraid he will screw something up if he hits the wrong button. He does not even know how to turn a computer on and has no desire to do so. I also found out that the car had a rebuilt transmission in it and it is still under warranty so that is probably why he did not want to mess with the codes. It is frustrating though.

He is just not a computer person. I think he is afraid he will screw something up if he hits the wrong button. He does not even know how to turn a computer on and has no desire to do so. I also found out that the car had a rebuilt transmission in it and it is still under warranty so that is probably why he did not want to mess with the codes. It is frustrating though.

I think he can at least check ATF level, smell, color.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

He said the ATF level was alright. He was and to some point still is good mechanic/body man but he don't like to mess with the computers. He has rebulit an Edsel and a 42 lincoln Zepher from the ground up. See pics.

post-26-0-11760500-1353363726_thumb.jpg

If he is 80 now, and cars went to OBD II in 1995, he was 63 then. The personal computer appeared from Apple, Radio Shack, and Commodore in 1977 when he was 45, and the IBM PC came out in 1981. But, hey, I can't draw a picture to save my life.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just to throw out a guess (as to the problem), I'm going to say a vacuum or vacuum reservoir problem.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Too bad you couldn't get him to press the OFF and WARMER buttons so we could see what the codes are if there are any set. It would be nice for the knowledge base to get some information on the 4T65E trans.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

kids and i have had 6 grand prixs. 2 heavily modded gtp's with the 4t65e. never had a lick of trans issues. so my 4t80e takes a dump thanks to a bad radiator. the 65 likes to tear up the OD section. the shaft end for the drive sprocket would shear off. GM decided to beef up that part. you really dont see a lot of non shifting issues with the 65. it just stops working and you find lots of debris inside the pan. the valve body is prone to wear. lots of solenoid bores like to wear. but you dont see that wear on a 80 trans.

The last time I had this problem on my 92 Deville, I had to find all the items that were on the circuit, then trace the wires back to the computer. I managed to find a short around the bottom passenger side of the radiator. A wire came out of the loom and rubbed on the radiator support frame and caused the short. We will have to do the same thing if his blows again.

Archived