CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93STSpieceofcrapmoneypit

93STSpieceofcrapmoneypit quoted Regis:

QUOTE (Regis @ Aug 7 2008, 08:05 AM) *

With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

93STSpieceofcrapmoneypit wrote:

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

CADS RULE DUDES! Alright Alright Alright...

While I'm flattered that someone quoted me in their Signature, it's important to understand the circumstances and what was being implied at the time. Yes, I was "entertained" by your user name. I also find it entertaining when I see someone step in a pile of dog doo. It's funny up to a point unless it happens to you. It's also helpful to understand that caddyinfo is a Cadillac enthusiast forum. You can try to redefine what enthusiast means or put your own spin on how it relates to this board and mock those that are true Cadillac enthusiasts. But this board is clearly defined. You voluntarily joined to be part of a Cadillac enthusiast board/forum. Not the other way around. And let's be frank. Your name is a needle in the eye to anyone with half a brain. It's an obvious flagrant middle finger, demonstrating to the world your personal view. I don't own or run this forum. But if I did I would have you removed in a second. Now you understand why I was merely "entertained".

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

My personal favorite is stu_pidasso. That may or may not be offensive to some when repeated quickly three times, but it isn't an insult to anyone or anything. Unfortunately he came, asked a few questions, and hasn't posted lately, but I would like to see him and others like him post occasionally on the 19th hole or whatever.

If the user name in the title of this thread were in a message, it would be removed in a heartbeat. I can understand someone who has been in the nasty world of some forums out there and joining here without browsing to get a feel for the forum. Leaving that display name after a few days of posts and replies, however, doesn't deserve further forbearance. Arguing about the semantics of "enthusiast" is a contentious avoidance of the reality, that the display name is intentionally offensive. There are two things I would suggest to that user:

1. Under My Controls, select New Display Name.
  2. Ban.
Failing the first, I recommend the second: :sign0024:

Perhaps a PM, with upping the Warn to 80% would make the point. A week more, with that display name, no logon.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Good inputs guys. This is an area that I enjoy hearing more discussion on -- forum names.

I am looking at what we need to add to our terms to specify offensive name handling and our moderation process. In the mean time I'll PM 93STS and offer assistance.

Certainly if you ever do see a poster with a name you find offensive for whatever reason please feel free to report the post or PM me.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I also find it entertaining when I see someone step in a pile of dog doo. It's funny up to a point unless it happens to you.

My favorite definition of humor is, "tragedy happening to someone else." Remember that banana peel.

Now, if you will please excuse me , I have to go take a needle out of my eye...

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

FWIW, The old adage "Pick and choose your battles wisely", was driven home to me YEARS ago, by an old salt. I guess I was whinning and going on about "Something" that upset me.

The old salt said, OK but do you know "The true measure of a man is the size of the thing that bothers him." OUCH, I realized I was being "small". From time to time, I still slip into

"smallness". When I realize it, I review MY adage, "Panties can ONLY bunch, if you wear them"....

rek

FWIW, The old adage "Pick and choose your battles wisely", was driven home to me YEARS ago, by an old salt. I guess I was whinning and going on about "Something" that upset me.

The old salt said, OK but do you know "The true measure of a man is the size of the thing that bothers him." OUCH, I realized I was being "small". From time to time, I still slip into

"smallness". When I realize it, I review MY adage, "Panties can ONLY bunch, if you wear them"....

So in a lot of words you are saying WE are being PETTY here?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

There are many old sayings for many subjects and circumstances. Often these sayings contradict other "wise" sayings. Ever notice that? Kind of funny when one thinks about it. It all boils down to which side of the fence you're looking at the situation from. We have a leash law where I live. There is a neighbor that thinks it's alright for his dogs to run free. The dogs poop in other peoples yards. The owner doesn't think it's a big deal. That's because they're not pooping in his yard. And how about if the nice people that assembled your car had the mind set of "eh... don't sweat the small stuff"? Once again it comes back to the proverbial fence.

EDIT:

There is more to this issue than is contained within this thread. So things aren't always what they seem on the surface. However, I'm confident that things will get resolved in a satisfactory manner. Moving on....

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I addressed this issue with POCMP earlier this year.

As I recall, he is fully aware that his choice of a forum name offends most of us.

Several people, myself included, mentioned that they were disinclined to offer help to this individual. This feeling was based solely on his choice of a forum name.

So, as a result, since he continues to offend me with his name choice, I now choose not to respond to his inquires even if I know how to help him.

Britt

Britt

To put it simply, I see this type of stuff as a cancer, the provebial "A bad apple, makes the bushel go bad". Anyone who spends a lot of time around here knows that we have a long line of irritating TROLLS, that come in, spit on the floor and are generally disruptive.

This board is now EASILY searchable on Google. As a matter of fact, if you search for terms in THIS thread on Google you will be directed immediately to this thread.

These types of names might make new members believe that its ok to name themselves MYSTSSUCKS. Before you know it, we are overrun by negative malcontents who are clueless as to how to fix these complex cars and have no respect for GM, Cadillac or more importantly others.

Regis nailed it. At the top of this page it states, For and by Cadillac Enthusiasts. While its a free country and we love people to express themselves, to choose a name like this is PERMANENT and a CONTINUOUS STATEMENT OVER AND OVER. If a negative statement is made in a thread we can refute it with FACTS, with this member name, as Regis said, "it's an obvious flagrant middle finger" to our intent here.

If you do a search, you will discover that many forums disallow offensive or disruptive member names.

There are plenty of places to go if a member wants to roll around with haters, just do a search. If you want loosy goosy, go to the usenet newsgroups, there you can be abused and abuse freely and no one will care. I like to think that we are above the newsgroups. I think its alt.autos.cadillac but I am sure there are more. There is even a former mechanic there that will give you a solution to your problem for $5.00 each.

We don't ask much, we provide terrific information and save members cash, we don't even charge admission, I don't think its too much to ask a member not to spit on us in the process.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What I'm saying is NO ONE can slight you or your possessions, WITHOUT your cooperation. No one can anger you, WITHOUT your cooperation. "They" may place great value or power in what they say, but the value or power you give it , is at your disgression.

rek

What I'm saying is NO ONE can slight you or your possessions, WITHOUT your cooperation. No one can anger you, WITHOUT your cooperation. "They" may place great value or power in what they say, but the value or power you give it , is at your disgression.

I like your thinking, and I am going to keep this in mind when I deal with my X-WIFE it will help. Thanks

We have a leash law where I live. There is a neighbor that thinks it's alright for his dogs to run free. The dogs poop in other peoples yards. The owner doesn't think it's a big deal. That's because they're not pooping in his yard.

That pretty easy to fix. Start taking a dump in his yard or at very least, throw the dogs leftovers back.

So, as a result, since he continues to offend me with his name choice, I now choose not to respond to his inquires even if I know how to help him.

Britt

I too have had ideas that may have helped him, but I chose to refrain from offering them because of his choice of a name.

Posted Image

Britt

I too have had ideas that may have helped him, but I chose to refrain from offering them because of his choice of a name.

Possibly he would be happier with a Yugo or a Fiesta. Then, at least his name choice would fit the car!

Britt

Britt

Britt

Possibly he would be happier with a Yugo or a Fiesta. Then, at least his name choice would fit the car!

Britt

He actually does love Cadillac's, he has said that a couple of times to me. About a month ago, he was going to change his name but could not figure out how and he must have gotten side tracked. It could be that when he joined, his car was a WRECK, so that was his mood at the time.

Britt

YEP! Very distasteful. In the unlikely event I might have some help for him, it won't be forthcoming.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived