CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hypermiling

Ed Hall

Since gas is so expensive and probably will continue to go up in price, I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I could get this morning driving the route I usually take on Sunday with my 1993 Northstar powered Cadillac Allante. According to fueleconomy.gov, this car was tested as getting 13 in the city and 20 on the highway. For the route I took this morning, I usually get right around 15 mpg driving fairly conservative with traffic. The route is approximately 17 miles each way and consists of 8 miles of city and 9 miles of 55 mph country roads. One way, there are about 7 stop signs I have to stop at and about 20 stoplights that I drive through. I usually end up having to stop at half of them. Anyways, I was able to get 19.8 mpg this morning traveling the same exact route but using hypermiling techniques. This is a whopping 33% increase in gas mileage. Driving the average 15,000 miles per year at $4.90 per gallon I'm paying for fuel, I calculated that I would save $1188 driving this way. This is very significant especially at the fuel prices we are paying these days.

If you want to learn more about hypermiling, try the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

Here are some of the hypermiling techniques I used to get my 33% increase in fuel economy. I didn't make any modifications to my car. All I did was modify my driving style.

1. Drive in a manner that you use as little braking as possible. I look far ahead and I try to predict what the next stop light is going to do. If it has been green for a while then I know that it's a high chance that it'll turn red so I'll either drive very slowly towards the next stop light or I'll let off the throttle a long time before I get to that light. If I see a curve ahead that I usually have to brake, I let off the the throttle a long time before I reach the curve so I either don't have to use any braking or I use less braking to reduce the speed to a comfortable speed to negotiate the curve. Anyways, you do have to use brakes but remember that braking is lost energy in the form or heat. The more brakes you're using, the more energy you're wasting.

2. Turn off your engine at especially long stoplights. You get 0 mpg letting your engine idle at the stoplight. This morning, I turned off my engine at any stoplight that was any longer than 1/2 minute. I ended up turning my engine off at approximately 15 times for the entire trip. If I'm at the front of the line, I try to look at the stoplight that handles traffic in the perpendicular direction and as soon as it turns yellow, I restart my car. Sometimes I'm unable to see the light and my light suddenly turns green and it ends up taking about 10 seconds before I'm able to get moving again. Sometimes impatient drivers start honking but I just ignore them and proceed. If I'm 3 or 4 cars behind, it usually gives me enough time to get my car restarted before it's my time to go. I believe that especially the 300 hp Northstar uses a lot of gas idling. These engines make a lot of power from a small displacement engine so the camshaft has a lot of valve overlap. This makes the engine especially inefficient idling or at low power levels. I'm sure I'm wearing out my starter quicker but luckily, the starters on a Northstar engine is easy to change out and relatively inexpensive. I figure that the amount of fuel I'm saving by turning off my engine outweighs what it costs for starter replacements.

3. Keep your speeds down. On the country road, I kept it under 60 mph and kept a very constant throttle. You don't want your torque converter to unlock because when it's unlocked, it's slipping and creating heat. On the hills, I would let the car slow down when I got to the top of the hill and let the downgrade get me back up to speed. In the city, I let other drivers zoom past me as they usually end end up stopping at the same light 1 or 2 cars ahead of me.

4. Maintain a long buffer distance between your car and the car in front of you. If the person in front uses the brakes, it gives you more time to predict what to do and possibly not have to use your brakes.

-Another thing is make sure your tire pressure is correct. To attain even better fuel economy, I keep my tire pressure at 44 psi which is the maximum on the sidewalls. I have not noticed any problems with uneven wear. However, it does ride a little harsh but it handles better.

-Get rid of any unnecessary weight in the trunk. If you have a long distance towing service, you might even think about getting rid of the spare tire to save weight. Besides, having your car towed saves your own fuel.

Anyways, share your thoughts and any other ideas you have to save fuel. I would rather change my driving style and drive in style with a Cadillac than have to drive a tin can.

IPB Image

It may prove to be too much for the battery to handle all of those starts. Im not pos. on the number, but I remember reading it took about 7 miles for the average car to recharge the battery from a start. If this is true, your battery is probably not fully charged after your drive.

The gas prices have not affected my driving yet, I still WOT the STS every time I drive it.

Jonah

Also, be careful if you are running your tires at 44 psi cold. It could be above the maximum pressure once the tires get hot. I run mine at 30 cold, I dont care about the miles, I just want as much traction as possible.

Jonah

Also, be careful if you are running your tires at 44 psi cold. It could be above the maximum pressure once the tires get hot. I run mine at 30 cold, I dont care about the miles, I just want as much traction as possible.

I have had no problems with my tires pressured up to 44 psi even driving up in elevation 4000 ft and driving in very hot 100 degree weather. I see a lot more people running into problems with under inflation.

IPB Image

I was thinking the same thing, check them HOT to be no more than that 44 psi. A long trip will push it up significantly, so be careful

Thanks for this information Ed I will check it out

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It may prove to be too much for the battery to handle all of those starts. Im not pos. on the number, but I remember reading it took about 7 miles for the average car to recharge the battery from a start. If this is true, your battery is probably not fully charged after your drive.

I drive 2.3 miles to the golf course and the same back home 7 days a week and

if my battery was not recharging fully then it would have died long ago ...

I drive 2.3 miles to the golf course and the same back home 7 days a week and

if my battery was not recharging fully then it would have died long ago ...

I would suggest anyone with the old analog onstar to remove the modules from the trunk. That old analog module encased in that heat sink alone must weigh a few lbs. (2 modules in the passenger side trunk - one connector looks like an old style db25 printer cable, and the other is a metal box - the size of a cigar box, connected together by a 1ft cable. - it all can go, along with that heavy metal plate. + it'll save some volts. must draw alot if the componant has to be encased in a heat sink. (although not sure if it only gets how when it was on an analog call)

Reminds me of united removing the entertainment system in their airplanes to save 500lbs. BTW, don't remove any other componants - especially the PCM we need that one :)

For you minivan owners,

I keep the extra seat out of our minivan (not fold and go)(& I picked the biggest seat with the built in car seat)

no tools required, just click & remove. Sometimes when it's a long haul, and just 2 of us, we have all the back seats out. The van actually sits higher in the back they are all so heavy.

If you want to learn more about hypermiling, try the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

2. Turn off your engine at especially long stoplights.....Sometimes I'm unable to see the light and my light suddenly turns green and it ends up taking about 10 seconds before I'm able to get moving again. Sometimes impatient drivers start honking but I just ignore them and proceed.

Just ignore them indeed!

It's easy and convenient to let the following telling caveat from the above wikipedia.org source slide by unappreciated....

"It should be cautioned that doing this during congestion (when a car will need to stop for the same signal more than once) will likely lead to more congestion; the individual driver may save fuel, but much more fuel will be used overall."

An individual solution to a collective problem rarely produces the desired long term results. Do what you have to as an indivudual; but be mindfull that you are not the only person paying US $4.00+ per gallon for fuel.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I've been behind the asshole hyper folk drivers too. They take off so slow the rest of us get caught in another red light.

Thanks.

We sit. Same fuel wasted..

As for 44 psi. Danger + zone. No tire is designed for 44 psi. Cold or Hot.

If you could get the speculators out of gas, it would come down 1/2 the price. You only need about $700K to control $10M of fuel. Most of this trading takes place in London, outside of US law control.

Dollar kind of sucks right now too..

Just ignore them indeed!

It's easy and convenient to let the following telling caveat from the above wikipedia.org source slide by unappreciated....

"It should be cautioned that doing this during congestion (when a car will need to stop for the same signal more than once) will likely lead to more congestion; the individual driver may save fuel, but much more fuel will be used overall."

An individual solution to a collective problem rarely produces the desired long term results. Do what you have to as an individual; but be mindful that you are not the only person paying US $4.00+ per gallon for fuel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez ... you are wading... in deep waters ...

much appreciated, Sir ...

From EDHALL

Turn off your engine at especially long stoplights.....Sometimes I'm unable to see the light and my light suddenly turns green and it ends up taking about 10 seconds before I'm able to get moving again. Sometimes impatient drivers start honking but I just ignore them and proceed.

Ed,

So, I am at a light...maybe 4 or 5 cars behind you.

You take an extra 10 seconds to get moving, because you have turned off the ignition.

You finally make it thru the light.

I get caught at the light again.

You saved a TEASPOON of fuel. (Using the teaspoon just as an example for comparison.)

I burn at least another TABLESPOON waiting for the light to cycle thru again along with maybe a DOZEN OTHER CARS that didn't make it thru the light, all because of you saving your teaspoon of fuel.

Add up the DOZEN TABLESPOONS that was wasted vs the ONE TEASPOON that you saved... it is a false economy overall.

It may help YOU a little bit.... but causes a lot of delay and inconvienence for EVERYONE else.

I too need to save all the fuel I can.

I combine trips.

I don't run to the store everytime I need some little something.

I wait till I can do more than one thing when I am out in the car.

I have slowed down in my driving.

I try to be more relaxed and laid back.... not being in such s BIG HURRY all the time.

No fast takeoffs from a light. (unless it is some kids in an import with the loud mufflers) :D

Long coastdowns getting off the freeway.

Looking ahead and trying to time lights so that I don't have to come to a total stop.

That is about all I can do ... at this time.

I have done MOST of THAT for a long long time.

Except for the being in a hurry part. THAT is fairly recent and I am still adjusting to it.

I drive 200 to 300 miles a DAY in my job. (sometimes more) I have a 2006 Chevy Express van with the 4.3 V6.

Trust me, fuel is a big expense for me. TWO TO THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS A WEEK.

I am looking into getting the HPTuners Pro stuff to try to tune the van to get a little better mileage.

It usually gets about 17mpg.

The HPTuners stuff is $650 bucks but at $4.00 a gallon.. If I could help it (the van) JUST A LITTLE, it wouldn't take long to pay for itself.

OK... my rant is over. :D:D

If I stepped on your toes or offended you ... I am sorry.

Wasn't picking on you in particular... just have seen several of the hypermilers lately on TV and got a little irritated.

I do love your last line.... fits me pretty well also....I have owned and driven tin cans... would much prefer NOT TO again. :D:D

FROM EDHALL

I would rather change my driving style and drive in style with a Cadillac than have to drive a tin can.

Posted Image

OK... my rant is over. :D:D

If I stepped on your toes or offended you ... I am sorry.

Wasn't picking on you in particular... just have seen several of the hypermilers lately on TV and got a little irritated.

I do love your last line.... fits me pretty well also....I have owned and driven tin cans... would much prefer NOT TO again. :D:D

FROM EDHALL

I would rather change my driving style and drive in style with a Cadillac than have to drive a tin can.

The point of this post was not to irritate anybody. It was to talk about ways to save fuel since some like me are paying almost $5 per gallon and want to keep driving our Cadillacs rather than trade to something more fuel efficient. Yes your concern about hypermilers slowing everybody else down is valid. I was being a little facetious about other honking at the stoplight as I try to restart the car. I usually always manage to restart my car before the light even turns green. If I'm several cars behind, it almost always gives me enough time to start my car before it's time for me to go. If I'm in the front, I look at the stoplight that handles traffic perpendicular to me and as soon as it starts to turn orange, I restart my car. One reason it takes time to restart my car is because I have to put the transmission all the way into park. What would be nice is if I could start it in neutral. Also, a push button to restart my car would make it even faster. But yes, when I'm waiting at the stoplight with my engine off, I

As a hypermiler, it's important to be courteous. Stay in the right lane and look in your rear view mirror. If I see someone behind me who is in a big hurry and can't get around me, I speed up a little. I also don't usually take off from a light slowly as long as the light in front is not red. A gas engine runs most efficiently at 80% throttle and max peak rpm's which happens to be around 4000 rpms on our Northstars. When you get up to speed quickly, it takes less time for the transmission to shift into high gear which is more efficient. But most people make the mistake of unnecessarily building too much speed and having to brake to compensate. This is what wastes fuel.

Anyways, we all have to share the road so it's important to be courteous. It would be nice if aggressive drivers would slow down and go with the flow. I live in Southern California and I see so many drivers making unnecessary lane changes and cutting people off just so they can get to the next light 1 or 2 cars ahead. These are the people who are causing the most disruption on our roadways. They are increasing their chances of hurting themselves or someone else and they are bound to be slapped in the hand with hefty tickets and high insurance fees. Anyways, lets be courteous and share the road.

IPB Image

Yesterday I took the same route using hypermiling techniques and got 19.4 mpg. It was a windy day so I think that this is the reason why fuel economy was slightly down. I also passed a slow truck which probably reduced fuel economy slightly. So far, nobody has honked at me at stoplights. I also found that my car will in fact start in neutral and I can start the engine and get it into gear in about 3 seconds. I keep in the right lane and when I'm coasting towards a right hand turn, I try to be courteous and pull to the side of the road so others can pass and not slow down. Anyways, at nearly $5 per gallon, I feel that the amount of fuel I'm saving makes sense to use hypermiling. Of course the higher it goes, the more it'll make sense. There are predictions that the barrel of oil will soon hit $200. I'm planning to keep driving my Cadillacs even if gas goes to $10 per gallon. I like the style and especially the safety of driving a full size car.

IPB Image

Your actual MPG can vary by over 20% just by how you drive. That is certainly the largest factor after selection of route and vehicle.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Interesting thread.... If I may, let me throw out 2 points to the group:

#1. Be careful doing all this "hypermiling"... these techniques really should be confined to off-peak hours, light traffic... be safe. Some of these little "hypermilers" are begging to be victims of a road rage incident... So be safe, don't be a victim....

#2. I've constantly wondered why these towns of all sizes don't "time up" or synchronize the lights in their dowtown areas.... Every place I drive, from Milwaukee to Port Charlotte, I swear, the light changes, you pull forward 600 yards, to the next red light!!! Believe it or not, in little Janesville Wisconsin, they have the lights timed up. When 1 light changes, you drive, straight thru town, making all the rest of the lights.... So, don't tell me it can't be done. It can, and it is. That would save untold gallonages of gas, nationwide....

• 2 weeks later...

I've perfected my technique even better. I found out that I can start my car while it's in neutral. This enables me to start the car and put in gear in about 3 seconds. Nobody has honked at me since I've started hypermiling. Also, if a light turns red, I not only let off the gas pedal but I also turn off the engine while putting it into neutral while I coast to the light. Since I'm in neutral, if the light changes to green, I'm able to start the engine while it's still coasting and resume through the light that has turned green. So far, I'm saving about 35% fuel compared to driving normally conservatively. If everybody started doing this, the Arabs would suddenly be faced with less demand. The other day, I read in my newspaper that lawmakers are considering lowering the speed limit to 55 mph max on highways. You can read the article here if you would like.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008...tter-lawmakers/

They claim that it saved 2% fuel back in the day when the national 55 mph speed limit was enacted. Two percent increase in fuel economy seems like a small number but with the billions of gallons of fuel that is being sold, 2% becomes a big number. The lawmakers think 2% is a significant saving but the savings I'm able to achieve using hypermiling techniques is far greater.

IPB Image

They claim that it saved 2% fuel back in the day when the national 55 mph speed limit was enacted. Two percent increase in fuel economy seems like a small number but with the billions of gallons of fuel that is being sold, 2% becomes a big number.

If they drop the speed limit down to 55 nationwide, I think they will make more than that on the speeding tickets.

I cant drive 65, yet alone 55.

Now Im singing... I cant drive... 55.

Jonah

I've perfected my technique even better. I found out that I can start my car while it's in neutral. This enables me to start the car and put in gear in about 3 seconds. Nobody has honked at me since I've started hypermiling. Also, if a light turns red, I not only let off the gas pedal but I also turn off the engine while putting it into neutral while I coast to the light. Since I'm in neutral, if the light changes to green, I'm able to start the engine while it's still coasting and resume through the light that has turned green. So far, I'm saving about 35% fuel compared to driving normally conservatively. If everybody started doing this, the Arabs would suddenly be faced with less demand. The other day, I read in my newspaper that lawmakers are considering lowering the speed limit to 55 mph max on highways. You can read the article here if you would like.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008...tter-lawmakers/

They claim that it saved 2% fuel back in the day when the national 55 mph speed limit was enacted. Two percent increase in fuel economy seems like a small number but with the billions of gallons of fuel that is being sold, 2% becomes a big number. The lawmakers think 2% is a significant saving but the savings I'm able to achieve using hypermiling techniques is far greater.

Be careful out there.

This seems like a lot of distraction from just being a careful driver. Shifting in and out of gears and at times having no power at all with the engine off while coasting or sitting at a light. If something unexpected happens in traffic I'd rather have my car running where I have a chance to respond better.

I am curious, if you had to slam your brakes for some reason while the engine is shut off and the ignition key isn't in the "run" position will all of the safety mechanisms still kick in such as anti-lock brakes, traction control, air bags, etc.?

I wouldn't want you or anyone else getting into or being unable to avoid an accident due to trying to do the hypermiling thing. Anyway, just be safe.

Be careful out there.

This seems like a lot of distraction from just being a careful driver. Shifting in and out of gears and at times having no power at all with the engine off while coasting or sitting at a light. If something unexpected happens in traffic I'd rather have my car running where I have a chance to respond better.

I am curious, if you had to slam your brakes for some reason while the engine is shut off and the ignition key isn't in the "run" position will all of the safety mechanisms still kick in such as anti-lock brakes, traction control, air bags, etc.?

I wouldn't want you or anyone else getting into or being unable to avoid an accident due to trying to do the hypermiling thing. Anyway, just be safe.

Of course I'm careful. Too many people drive too casually and some even drive while intoxicated. Driving is very dangerous and 50,000 people die in the US from car crashes each year.

My power assist brakes still work with the engine off and I'm able to stop quickly if I need. The power steering does shut off but I'm still able to steer but it takes more effort. I'm used to driving old tractors so this is no big deal.

Airbags is a different story. If you do some reasearch, you'll find out that you're only about 2% more likely to survive a car crash with a car equipped with airbags than one without assuming you're wearing your seat belt. In the event of a car crash, the mass of your car is what makes your car safer than airbags. One problem with airbags is that it disables the driver from being able to steer the car to safety. There have been cases where the driver did not die from the initial impact but from not being able to steer their car safely. Also, there has not been any decrease in traffic fatalities since congress started requiring cars to be equipped with airbags.

IPB Image

Does "hypermiling" mean going fast or slow? B) The other day a GMC Envoy (non-Danali) tried to pass me. When I said no, he wouldn't give up. So, long story short, the 291 HP Envoy was spanked.

Seriously though, in NJ if you hypermile, better do it with no one around or do it in the right lane. Don't hold up traffic.

I would think all this shifting, putting the car in drive while the driveshaft is still turning from the wheels, etc. really puts strain on your torq converter, in addition to lot's of unusual wear in the linkage, and internals of the tranny. come to think of it, I thought it was not recommended to make a habbit of putting a car in drive from neutral when moving.

Ed,

I pretty much agree with "Rangers" comments. And, with respect, if you really feel the need to hyper-mile, why not just get a hybrid, and keep the Cadillac for non-commute? You will make a lot less other drivers angry and/or frustrated, by not blocking the lane, and still get better fuel mileage.

As for myself, I hate the high cost of fuel with everyone else, but..... I did not buy my Cadillacs for extreme fuel conservation. I bought them for their comfort, safety, power, and very good fuel efficiency. I have not been disappointed in my vehicle investments.

I generally cruise with the higher flow of traffic, and get 21.5 MPG average. I can live with that.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

As with everything else, people without common sense or respect for others can give a concept such as hypermiling a bad name.

There have been instances of hypermilers disrupting traffic flow, because they were coasting up a hill, not wanting to add the throttle to keep their speed up. Then, as they descend the far side of a hill, they speed up & pass all of those who were just forced to pass them. Then on the next hill the cycle starts all over again.

This is bad enough on an interstate, but when it occurs on a two lane road, it causes tempers to flare.

As far as sitting at an intersection with the engine off, that can be dangerous. One time several years ago, I was stopped at a stopsign. A vehicle was coming from my left, at the very last second, he decided to turn into the intersection where I was waiting. When I decided that he was going WAY too fast to make the turn, I floored my accelerator. I moved just far enough forward that he hit me in the left rear quarter & spun me around. If I hadn't moved, he would have hit me square in the drivers side door. I probably would have been seriously hurt, or worse.

If my engine had been turned off, there would have been no way to have prevented him from hitting me in the door. The police said that they figured that he was doing about 40 MPH when he hit me in the rear quarter.

A person can, by thinking ahead, gain a little speed before climbing a hill, then let his speed bleed off to cruising speed as he ascends the hill. But large excursions in speed, solely to save fuel is detrimental to safety.

The country could save a lot of fuel in other ways. Proper timing of stop lights as previously mentioned is one. Elimination of toll booths every few miles in cities like Chicago would save hundreds of thousands of gallons daily. The same goes for truck weigh stations. The amount of fuel that an 80,000 pound rig expends to go through a weigh station multiplied by all the big rigs on the road amounts to an astronomical amount of fuel! Allowing trucks to run the same speed as cars prevents having to jockey around slower moving trucks which involves braking and then accelerating up to speed again. (Illinois is one state with dual speed limits.)

I'm sure that there are several other ways to save fuel.

We have just recently been informed (insulted) by Mr. Obama that we should keep our tires properly inflated.

I've got some startling news for Mr. Obama. I and many others won't benefit from this astounding revelation, because we were properly maintaining our vehicles when he was still crapping yellow!

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

Ed,

I pretty much agree with "Rangers" comments. And, with respect, if you really feel the need to hyper-mile, why not just get a hybrid, and keep the Cadillac for non-commute? You will make a lot less other drivers angry and/or frustrated, by not blocking the lane, and still get better fuel mileage.

As for myself, I hate the high cost of fuel with everyone else, but..... I did not buy my Cadillacs for extreme fuel conservation. I bought them for their comfort, safety, power, and very good fuel efficiency. I have not been disappointed in my vehicle investments.

I generally cruise with the higher flow of traffic, and get 21.5 MPG average. I can live with that.

-George

I would not buy a Prius "hybrid" even if it used no gas. :D The initial investment is too high and they are too complicated to work on so I would be stuck paying someone to work on it. I'm a contrarian who structures his life by spending less, saving and buying low and I have been rewarded highly. At $4 per gallon or more, it makes sense for me to hypermile and use 1/3 less fuel.

IPB Image

If I recall back when the national speed limit was 55, truckers got poorer gas mileage as they were optimized for higher speeds. It was then that they started putting that aero-dynamic flap on the cab roof. Does anyone recall that? I have been shocked lately to hear that typical 18 wheelers are getting 5 to 6 miles per gallon, that is shocking.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived