CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Beware of Wal-Mart Auto Technicians

MAC

I bought tires at Wal-Mart for my silver Eldo and when I went to inspect the job I saw that the paint on the edges of the silver rims, which are depicted in my below photo, where scratched—two of them are pretty bad. So before leaving with the car a brought the situation to the attention of the shop manager who put in a loss claim for me. I was told that I would be contacted by Wal-Mart rep in a couple of days. If I want to, I could probably take some wet/dry sandpaper and sand the edges and repaint. All the rims have some damage to them but I’m willing to put a claim in for only two of them. Conceivably, if I wanted to be tough about it I could put a loss claim in for all four. These rims are being sold on ebay for $100 each, plus shipping.

Also, Wal-Mart didn’t have the lead balancing weights that are secured to the inside of the rims so they used the traditional weights that are mounted on the outside—Needless to say, weights on the outside of alloy rims look ridiculous. I said I wanted all tires rebalance with weights on the inside, which they agreed to do. This was upsetting since the rims were in excellent condition up until a careless Wal-Mart technician (I say that lightly) touched them.

By the way, I put chromed rims on my dark cherry Eldo but the photo below is one from ebay when I bought the car when it had the silver rims mounted.

Sadly, I've endured such disappointments.

OTOH, I've not recently, or ever for that matter, been able to speak about my "two" Eldorados. Sheesh! Give me a break!

Regards,

Warren :P :P :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Been there too..

They always ask..."where are the centercaps?"

"I took them off so your guys would not throw them on the floor and scratch them up. They do cost $80 apiece."

"I took them off so your guys would not throw them on the floor and scratch them up. They do cost $80 apiece."

Yup. That too. It's sad. But necessary.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

NTB used clip-on wheel weights, including on the outside, when they put on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.

When I replace these factory 1997 chrome rims with 18-inch rims next summer (or when the Michelins wear out) I will likely let The Tire Rack mount, balance, and ship the assembled tires/rims to my mechanic.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ha! I do (or did) the same thing, when I had Caddy wheels with center caps.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Even though I've had issues using Walmart anything (the pharmacy and vision center), they've always made sure that my needs were met. I hesitate to do alot of things other than shopping at Walmart- but regardless they always stand next to their stuff and the "customer is ALWAYS right". You can return ANYTHING (opened sparkplugs because the wrong ones were bought :P with no issues as I have done)...therefore atleast they didn't give you issues...I had a mechanic once who managed to "misplaced" 2 lug nuts on one tire and he refused to fess up to it! Anyway, atleast they're trying to fix their F-UP. Sorry about the scratched rims...a month ago I'm positive someone stole one of my center caps and I kow how pissed I was with just that, I know how much more pissed I would be if my rims were scratched because of someone's negligance. Are you getting the worse 2 of the 4 rims taken care of? How bad are the 2 other ones?

-Anthony

I bought tires at Wal-Mart for my silver Eldo and when I went to inspect the job I saw that the paint on the edges of the silver rims, which are depicted in my below photo, where scratched—two of them are pretty bad. So before leaving with the car a brought the situation to the attention of the shop manager who put in a loss claim for me. I was told that I would be contacted by Wal-Mart rep in a couple of days. If I want to, I could probably take some wet/dry sandpaper and sand the edges and repaint. All the rims have some damage to them but I’m willing to put a claim in for only two of them. Conceivably, if I wanted to be tough about it I could put a loss claim in for all four. These rims are being sold on ebay for $100 each, plus shipping.

Also, Wal-Mart didn’t have the lead balancing weights that are secured to the inside of the rims so they used the traditional weights that are mounted on the outside—Needless to say, weights on the outside of alloy rims look ridiculous. I said I wanted all tires rebalance with weights on the inside, which they agreed to do. This was upsetting since the rims were in excellent condition up until a careless Wal-Mart technician (I say that lightly) touched them.

By the way, I put chromed rims on my dark cherry Eldo but the photo below is one from ebay when I bought the car when it had the silver rims mounted.

This happened to me, with my 91 Seville, the idiots put the weights on the outside and I went nuts. They scratched the wheels and I demanded they put them on the inside, now my record at Costco states WEIGHTS ON THE INSIDE.... and I say it EVERYTIME I go

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Been there too..

Its funny, everytime I work on my car, I NEVER turn them down so that the good side is down and throw the lug nuts into them, I always place them good side up, I learned this the hard way...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Even though I've had issues using Walmart anything (the pharmacy and vision center), they've always made sure that my needs were met.

Not to go too far off-topic, but that's the main reason I do a lot of business there as well. Their customer service (for us) has been second-to-none. I actually avoid many other stores because we've had such lousy customer service there in the past. Our local store carries a lot of local items (especially food items) and there's more and more "Made in USA" products there also, but you do have to look for them. I've not had auto service done at Wal-Mart before, but we've bought many sets of tires at Sam's Club, and have been 110% satisifed.

Been there too..

I do the same when I buy tires - regardless of the location. I use a shop rag on the end of the screwdriver so I don't chip the covers/wheels. If you don't remove your own discs, the tire monkies will just jamb in a big prybar and let the discs fall to the concrete... On the Fleetwood, I remove the fender skirts and put them in the trunk.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Off topic, but Wally did save me one time on vacation. I needed a new tire in a bad way.

Wally appeared out of nowhere.

I drove into the auto service center.

The wife and kids went inside and shopped a while.

A couple hours later we were back on the road again.

Does Walmart torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench does anyone know?

Most tire shop impact wrenches are calibrated for 100 ft-lbs of torque. How accurate and how consistent, I can't say.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Costco actually has a manager use a manual torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts, the individual tire changer does not tighten the lugs. I would go nuts if I saw someone use an impact gun on my lug nuts..

Costco actually has a manager use a manual torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts, the individual tire changer does not tighten the lugs. I would go nuts if I saw someone use an impact gun on my lug nuts..

I like that idea. Pep Boys put new tires on an old Wagoneer of mine after 5 miles it handled so bad I pulled over an found I had 1 lug nut on the Dr. rear, after they fixed it haven't been back

I like that idea. Pep Boys put new tires on an old Wagoneer of mine after 5 miles it handled so bad I pulled over an found I had 1 lug nut on the Dr. rear, after they fixed it haven't been back

THE PEPBOYS WHERE IM AT IS NOT GOOD AT ANYTHING EXCEPT PARTS JUST DONT LET THEM INSTALL THEM

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

Does Walmart torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench does anyone know?

I don't know about Wal-Mart. I typically buy tires at Sam's Club, and they do use a manual torque wrench for installation.

Archived