CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The War

A little off topic but I wonder if any of our members watched The War tonight. Another masterpiece by Ken Burns. It's being aired 9/23, 24, 25, 26, 30, 10/1 & 2. It's either 2 or 2.5 hours starting at 8:00 and then it is repeated the same evening right afterwards. There are seven either 2 or 2.5 hour episodes. "Consult your local paper for times and stations". I'm committing it to Memorex.

It's a must see for everyone who lived it, AND, especially, for everyone who didn't.

Okay . . . . . but on what channel? Maybe a few examples?

I only have a couple hundred of them channels.

My Dad was a member of that magnificent generation. Wow! What they did!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

What an absolute dumbass I am!

How could I have forgotten to say my Mom was also a sterling example of that generation? Wow! What they did!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sorry, I don't know the Channel numbers in your area; but I should have told you it's on PBS.

Ken Burns has done a lot of different stories for PBS, on Baseball, on Jazz, etc.; but his most notable was on the Civil War. And this is another masterpiece.

First time I watched a show on PBS (Pretty Boring Stuff) in a long time but well worth it, I'll have it on tonight. Grandfather was in the Seebees/South Pacific the whole time

Hmm, my Dad was in Leyte Gulf. I will watch this with a narrowed eye, I don't trust PBS at all.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I watched it.

Impressive.

My wife and I are both boomer first borns to WWII vets who returned from The War and made lives for themselves. I have always lived in awe of my late father and uncles (4 of my mother's five brothers served). My family served at Guadalcanal, Pelelieu, Tarawa, Saipan, Battle of the Philipine Sea, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, the 4th Division Landing at Utah Beach 6 June 1944 (I have his uniform patches), Battle of the Falaise Pocket, Battle of the Bulge including discovery of murdered American POWs at Malmedy, relief of the 101st at Bastogne, Liberation of Dachau, 8th Air Force B-17s out of Molesworth Aerodrome Molesworth, England. My late father-in-law and his six brothers served with the second oldest KIA in Operation Torch in 1942. As a young man working my first job out of high school, 1-A in the draft during Vietnam I worked with WWII vets who saw action at Pearl Harbor (Dec. 7, 1941), Anzio (badly wounded), Iwo Jima with the 5th Marine Div., Guadalcanal and Bougainville, Phillipine Islands, one fellow was a waist gunner on a B-17 shot down over Germany in 1944 badly wounded and survived 10 months in a German POW camp.

I tell this, not to impress anyone but to keep my family's memories alive. My father, my uncles, my father-in-law and his brothers are all gone, now. As the only local nephew my uncles had, I was the receipient of all of the stories they told as they got older (and what experiences!). And as I approach 60, these stories will most likely die with me. Our families (my wife's too) weren't unique during WWII but representative of the experience of many American families during "The War".

A "Tip of the Hat" to Ken Burns.

Hmm, my Dad was in Leyte Gulf. I will watch this with a narrowed eye, I don't trust PBS at all.

Your dad was in the 7th Fleet at Leyte Gulf!?

What ship?

One of my uncles was a First Class Gunner's Mate on the USS Indiana (his picture is on line). After the Battle of the Philipine Sea the Indiana was repaired and refitted and returned to the Fleet in time to bombard Iwo Jima.

Haven't seen it yet, but did tape it. My father also fought in the South Pacific with the 41st Infantry Division (Jungleers). Made 5 beach landings through out the Philippines and New Guinea (Biak Is). Even after fighting in Viet Nam I am still in awe of him (them). God bless them all.

Haven't seen it yet, but did tape it. My father also fought in the South Pacific with the 41st Infantry Division (Jungleers). Made 5 beach landings through out the Philippines and New Guinea (Biak Is). Even after fighting in Viet Nam I am still in awe of him (them). God bless them all.

I worked with a fellow who served with the Army on New Guinea and Bougainville. Brutal Service.

I registered for the draft and took my chances during Vietnam. During the early '70s I attended the evening school of the local state college. With the exceptions of myself and four other fellows my male classmates were all veterans recently returned from Vietnam and discharged from the service and going to college on the GI Bill. Guys I respect enormously to this day. Awe inspiring - committed to a college education only two or three years returned from combat in Vietnam. Truly, more of America's finast.

I watched it.

Impressive.

And as I approach 60, these stories will most likely die with me. Our families (my wife's too) weren't unique during WWII but representative of the experience of many American families during "The War".

Start a journal. Write the stories down...all you can remember. Your children or Grandchildren may read it someday and will also be proud of their ancestors.

Who knows... the journals may end up in a library or museum someday.

Write it down. It is valuable to keep the records and memories alive.

Posted Image

What ship?

One of my uncles was a First Class Gunner's Mate on the USS Indiana (his picture is on line). After the Battle of the Philipine Sea the Indiana was repaired and refitted and returned to the Fleet in time to bombard Iwo Jima.

You know I need to get the detail of where he was and what he did, you know that generation did not talk much about it. I do know he worked on B17's but I am not sure of the details.. He often spoke of the SeaBee's

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I watched it.

Impressive.

And as I approach 60, these stories will most likely die with me. Our families (my wife's too) weren't unique during WWII but representative of the experience of many American families during "The War".

Start a journal. Write the stories down...all you can remember. Your children or Grandchildren may read it someday and will also be proud of their ancestors.

Who knows... the journals may end up in a library or museum someday.

Write it down. It is valuable to keep the records and memories alive.

Yes, I should. Perhaps I will. The stories... What it was like watching the Battle of Savo Island in the distance from the deck of the USS Crescent City. I have radio transmissions from the Australian Cruiser "Canberra" from the night she was sunk. Pulling the bodies of US sailors from the sea the morning after the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal - the night Admirals (yes two US admirals) Scott and Callahan were killed. These stories are so compelling I could go on for hours...

What ship?

You know I need to get the detail of where he was and what he did, you know that generation did not talk much about it. I do know he worked on B17's but I am not sure of the details.. He often spoke of the SeaBee's

My uncles didn't talk until they were in their 60s and many times I had to pull it out of them. Thank God I did...

My uncle who was a liberator of Dachau. Was there for 3 days and the place haunted him for the rest of his life.

My father mentioned the show to me. I've got two direct family members who served, both Grandfathers. One in the Pacific and the other an MP in Europe. Fortunately, I've gathered a lot of stories from the only one still living who was in Europe. I've got his parade and officer uniform as well as a lot of other stuff he had then. He also got me into Target shooting which I love doing now, unfortunately not with him though because he's gotten sick. I take a lot of interest in all wars, foreign and domestic, because if we forgot who's to say it won't happen again? I've got a somewhat small but well assorted collection of History books as well.

I was actually lucky enough to meet one of the last First World War veterans before he died two weeks after I met him. Antonio Pierro was his name, and he lived a bit of a distance for me but it was well worth the trip to speak with the guy. Great stories and it was truly an honor for someone like myself to meet him. I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the last people from my generation or any generation after to have met a First World War veteran.

But yeah, I'll try and catch that show if I can. I heard it was supposed to be good.

My mother was liviing and working for the phone company in Honolulu when Pearl Harbor was bombed. She later worked for the Defence Dept. in Pearl. She met and married my father, who was a coastal artillery officer, at Schofield Barracks in Pearl. My older brother was born in Hawaii. I saw the church they were married in when I passed through Hawaii while I was in the Army in 1966. My son has been stationed in Pearl Harbor for the last couple of years in the Navy.

WWII has touched maor than a couple of generations.

As Mike said, most people don't talk about it, I guess its because the first question is always "Did you kill anybody" I did get to meet Paul Tibbets at an autograph session at the Richmond Air Museum and if you know who he is you know your stuff! (No Googling)

As Mike said, most people don't talk about it, I guess its because the first question is always "Did you kill anybody" I did get to meet Paul Tibbets at an autograph session at the Richmond Air Museum and if you know who he is you know your stuff! (No Googling)

Enola *smurf* pilot? I can't believe gaye is a blocked word

Colonel Tibbets was pilot of the EnolaGay and dropped "The Bomb" on Hiroshima.

My wife and I have a close friend who's bi-racial; half Japanese and half Caucasian. Her grandparents were killed in the A-Bombing of Hiroshima.

My father was with the 2nd Infantry Division in Texas when it was being trained and re-suppied for the invasion of Japan when Harry Truman ordered Col. Tibbets on his mission...

Big, My next door neighbors are Chinese (late 80's) they fled (parents) during the rape of Nan king to the States....just an ugly time all around. Bocks Car hit Nagasaki, pilot was Col. Sweeney but it was Col. Bocks plane. My hobby when I was growing up, WWII planes

Big, My next door neighbors are Chinese (late 80's) they fled (parents) during the rape of Nan king to the States....just an ugly time all around. Bocks Car hit Nagasaki, pilot was Col. Sweeney but it was Col. Bocks plane. My hobby when I was growing up, WWII planes

Here is some information about the Rape of Nan-king and other acts of genocide in 20 century. Today the Iranian president was called names (he deserved that) for denying the fact of Holocaust, but Turkey has been doing the same for nearly a century with regard to genocide of Armenians in Turkey, and they are our allies. Go figure.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/index.html

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived