CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Injector Cleaner

BodybyFisher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a nice offer that I'd like to make to CadyInfo members, but can't seem to post a picture. Is 148 KB too big?
Why not use Photobucket?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Why not use Photobucket?

2 reasons, privacy and I hate regestering. I'll try to resize the picture.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Why not use Photobucket?

2 reasons, privacy and I hate regestering. I'll try to resize the picture.

Johnny, can you explain the privacy issue for me, I have used Photobucket and I am interested in why privacy is an issue, Thanks, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

#1 I don't know how photobucket makes money, I'm sure they are not hosting pictures for free. #2 Aside from the pop -up adds that many sites rely on to support their services, what if they were to sell your information? Or your pictures? (keep in mind that I don't know what they ask when you register)

#3 Call me suspicious, or paranoid or whatever, I try to be careful, that's all.

When you register for free they want your e-mail address and a password. You agree to a copyright form that I read carefully, and it allows them to post your photos online for others to view with your permission or through links that they provide you, but you give up no copyright or other rights. When you post a picture, you are encouraged to make it public (i.e. let them link to it for people who browse the site) and to make an "album" that amounts to a slide show of your photos. So, their interest in free logons is to provide them with material that attracts hits, i.e. lets them sell ads, and many eventually buy paid accounts.

I had an account at ImageShack first, but the second time I went there I clicked on a link, and...

[On your main page, you have a rolling link.] The rolling ad link includes a short video of a man diving in front of a bus, with the teaser "You won't believe what happens next! Not for the squeamish!" It links to a site that installs 180solutions software right in my Firefox profile, just for being there. Norton Internet Security 2006 started in on my Firefox profile file. I though that I was going to have to re-install, and even Norton was going to leave the profile alone. I deleted it and Firefox came back.

This is serious. If 180solutions ever gets your IP address and a port open, your PC becomes a battleground until you reformat and reinstall your OS on a clean HD. Those guys are bad news and will give your site a bad name. I went to Photobucket with Netscape while Norton was deleting my Firefox profile. I had to think whether to notify you or simply delete my logon here. I won't use this site again until I hear from you.

I sent them this on their feedback page. I got this back on November 5:

Dear <My Name>,

Thank you for your email! If required, it will be answered soon.

Most of the questions that are asked can easily be answered by reading the help documents located on the ImageShack website. If your question is not answered, it is most likely because the answer exists and is very easy to find. Please have a look at these helpful links:

Common Questions: http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=faq

Terms of Service: http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=rules

ImageShack Tools: http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=features

Your Registration Link: http://reg.imageshack.us/setlogin.php?login=<DELETED>

If you need to email ImageShack regarding another issue, now or in the future, please use this link:

http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=...<DELETED>

It has your contact info saved.

Sincerely,

The ImageShack Team

http://imageshack.us

Not another peep. I haven't deleted my account yet but it's on my to-do list. I'm using Photobucket.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

This was an interesting discussion.

Somewhat related to GM "encouraging" this Top Tier list of retailers, what's with Ford "recommending" BP gasoline? Would it be true (as it often is) that BP gas (which is really "Amoco" right?) would be the same gas as you might find at Murphy Oil at Wal-Mart?

Does Ford own a ton of BP stock or something?

Edit: since you guys convinced me that Top Tier didn't necessarily bring demonstratable benefits I've since started buying gas at the cheapest place in town, which is always Sam's Club. I have no idea what gas they use.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

This was an interesting discussion.

Somewhat related to GM "encouraging" this Top Tier list of retailers, what's with Ford "recommending" BP gasoline? Would it be true (as it often is) that BP gas (which is really "Amoco" right?) would be the same gas as you might find at Murphy Oil at Wal-Mart?

Does Ford own a ton of BP stock or something?

Edit: since you guys convinced me that Top Tier didn't necessarily bring demonstratable benefits I've since started buying gas at the cheapest place in town, which is always Sam's Club. I have no idea what gas they use.

I may have not been clear, what the EPA recommends is no where near as high as it should be for cars, it should be much higher.

Top Tier holds companies to a higher standard that automakers agree on.

The companies that don't agree with top tier mostly don't agree with it because they are not fond of the way they advertise and the way the standard was created.

Companies like Exxon Mobil, BP, Sunoco, etc have opted out because they simply don't want to be part of that listing for the above mentioned reason or they don't want to pay to be on the list, not neccesarily because they don't meet the standards (the ones mentioned have stated they would pass with flying colors on the test).

With that said going to unkown stations with unknown types of gas is not good, because if they are indeed at EPA minimum you'll just have to most likely replace injectors or fuel filters more often because they simply aren't as clean with less detergents to burn the fuel and keep your combustion chamber clean. You most likely wont notice problems right away, but down the road you could.

Top Tier is actually a nice way of saying, when your not in the area you know, these stations have high quality gasoline.

The key is going to big name brand stations that are accountable to larger companies and such. Maybe wally world gas is ok, I don't know.

What I do know is the Apple Quick Fill stations around me have really crappy gas, car ran funny after a couple tanks of that stuff and my friends old pickup really struggle with the low grade. They meet Erie county, State of New York, and Federal Standards, but still everyone I Talk to says their gas is crap.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

They meet Erie county, State of New York, and Federal Standards, but still everyone I Talk to says their gas is crap.

Their gas may be crap for other reasons than the amount of additives in the fuel. As I have stated before, additive quantity is not the single measure of quality products.

What about octane? Additive levels have absolutely no effect on this.

What about End Point Distillation? Additives have no effect.

What about corrosivity? Once again, additives have no protective qualities that might prevent damage from this.

Then their's the issue of cars going 300,000 mile without damaged fuel injectors......before "Top Tier" was invented.

Forgetaboutit.

I use "Top Tier" gas. As I've remarked before, the price difference doesn't amount to a cup o' Starbucks coffee when you figure in the mileage difference twixt regular and premium.

Okay, so I'm anal. But, I'm the kinda guy you want to buy a used car from.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I have said this before and since the discussion is going on, I'll say it again. I have no allegiance to any brand. I buy from whoever has the best price, be it major brand or no name, top tier or no tier. Never had a fuel related problem.

Johnny Quote >> #1 I don't know how photobucket makes money, I'm sure they are not hosting pictures for free. #2 Aside from the pop -up adds that many sites rely on to support their services, what if they were to sell your information? Or your pictures? (keep in mind that I don't know what they ask when you register)

#3 Call me suspicious, or paranoid or whatever, I try to be careful, that's all.

Thanks Johnny, I was wondering how they made revenue also, but I was also thinking of paying for an enhanced account to get more storage capability. I will have a look. I understand your caution. Thanks

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have never had a fuel related issue with any car I've owned - I sold my sold my '86 Park Avenue in August and it had 210,000 miles on he odometer. I never paid attention to what type of fuel I put into the tank other than it was 87 octane regular unleaded...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They meet Erie county, State of New York, and Federal Standards, but still everyone I Talk to says their gas is crap.

Their gas may be crap for other reasons than the amount of additives in the fuel. As I have stated before, additive quantity is not the single measure of quality products.

What about octane? Additive levels have absolutely no effect on this.

What about End Point Distillation? Additives have no effect.

What about corrosivity? Once again, additives have no protective qualities that might prevent damage from this.

Then their's the issue of cars going 300,000 mile without damaged fuel injectors......before "Top Tier" was invented.

Forgetaboutit.

Thats exactly what I'm trying to say, "Top Tier" is just a marking, but COmpanies like Shell, BP, Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, have always been much higher quality (and additive/detergent) than the lackluster standards set by the government. Top Tier is just a way of clearly point them out, nothing more, but some companies choose not to be part of it and instead lobby and what not for the standards of all fuel to be raised.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Thats exactly what I'm trying to say, "Top Tier" is just a marking, but COmpanies like Shell, BP, Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, have always been much higher quality (and additive/detergent) than the lackluster standards set by the government. Top Tier is just a way of clearly point them out, nothing more, but some companies choose not to be part of it and instead lobby and what not for the standards of all fuel to be raised.

I agree - my wife's Mazda is VERY sensitive to the type of gas used. If we go to QT or any place that isn't BP or Shell, etc. the cat smells up something awful. We had it taken in to the dealership as I was sure the cat was defective. The Service Writer advised to use better quality gas as the cats don't burn off some chemicals in the cheaper go-juice.

As it turned out, they had been doing cat replacements until the manufacturer chimed in and said "Hey, it's the gas!" I had never paid attention to it before. I always use high test (the most we get here is 91) in the Eldo.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

As it turned out, they had been doing cat replacements until the manufacturer chimed in and said "Hey, it's the gas!" I had never paid attention to it before. I always use high test (the most we get here is 91) in the Eldo.

So QT gas is high on sulfur content. This is not a problem that more detergents can solve either. Does "Top Tier" gas guarantee a sulfur content? I don't think so.

By the way, where does the gasoline in Omaha come from? I've never checked. It may be close enough to Texas refining country to get good old USA refined products, yet close enough to the Gulf to get Venezuelan or Russian product piped right in. Maybe even from up north, say from Robinson, IL. Do you have any refineries in that state?

Anyway, here's my offer. The first 36 or so members to show up in my hometown can have a free bottle of this:

insert picture here: "Should be a 45 kb file attachment here somewhere."

I would prefer this happen during a Caddyinfo meet, sometime in the spring.

post-200-1165284658.jpg

Where in Virginia, I'm in...

Hey me too. I'll be in western Virginia at Christmas time. :)

Thanks for your kind offer.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Why don't we discuss a caddyinfo meeting in the 19th hole what do you guys think?

Touring is my car's middle name.

Touring is my car's middle name.

What a coincidence - mine, too!

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

What is the going price for Techron? I believe I saw it at Pepboys last year for around $20. Prices always seem high there, so I didn't get it. How much is the OEM stuff?

There is no price, as it says on the label, Not For Resale. So it's free. And you can't compare it to the product at any retail outlet, since none of us on this board know the dilution rate of the stuff on the shelves. I'm going to need to dispose of it anyway, so it needs to be used for its intended purpose, and we all know how to do that. In the case of this particular material, MSDS sheets will be included on request, as well as instructions for proper use. To put this into perspective, less than one ounce per tankful will more than double the amount of additives as marketed at any station.

If anyone remembers the Frapper map, (is that still around?) it will be easy to find me, just look for the small town in southern Ohio, next to the river. A great place for a visit, and a good place for a meet. We'll talk about a meet I'm sure, but since I've never visited the 19th hole, please let me know when it begins. I hope you understand my being a little elusive. I'm not sure Chevron would appreciate me giving this stuff out, even though they no longer need it.

Archived