CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant loss

Spurlee

:D

My Great-Grandaughter is asking me.... "what do those words mean?".

And I'm not sure her mother is ready to explain it to her.............. and I sure as hell am not going to go there. Twice is enough!

Kidding folks, I'm kidding. But my Great-Grandaughter has her serious face on.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D

My Great-Grandaughter is asking me.... "what do those words mean?".

And I'm not sure her mother is ready to explain it to her.............. and I sure as hell am not going to go there. Twice is enough!

Kidding folks, I'm kidding. But my Great-Grandaughter has her serious face on.

Great-grandaughter?!? Jeeze, you don't sound a day over 39. :D

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Tell us more about your great-grandaughter's thermostat problems.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

You are too kind, Warren.

I have the five generation pictures to prove that my Mother is still breathing without assistance and in fact, I do have a Great Grandaughter.

Her name is Trinity.

But I did exagerate just a little about Trinity asking me the questions. At her age, she is more concerned with practising how to run and telling her mother "NO!". She has a serious face, but no thermostat problems.

Got to love the gene pool.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Got to love the gene pool.

Glad to hear your folk had the good sense to swim in the deep end of the pool.

Too many folk I know seem to come from the shallow end. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

OKAY!

Please! Back to the thermojimmy. Or not.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

THERMOSTATS

The thermostat regulates engine temperature within a certain range (typically 195 to 220 degrees F) to improve engine performance, fuel economy and emissions. Most thermostats are located at the engine's water outlet in the intake manifold or cylinder head, but on some "reverse-flow" systems, the thermostat is located elsewhere.

If the thermostat fails to close, the engine will be slow to warm up and may run too cold. This can prevent the computerized engine control system from going into "closed loop" causing the engine to run rich, pollute and use too much fuel. If the thermostat fails to open, it will block the flow of coolant between the engine and radiator causing the engine to overheat.

The operation of the thermostat is controlled by a small wax element that opens a valve. Heat causes the wax to expand, which pushes the valve open against spring pressure. When the flow of coolant causes the temperature to drop, the wax element contracts allowing spring pressure to push the valve shut. This cycle repeats over and over to maintain a fairly steady operating temperature.

As a thermostat ages, some of the wax inside the element may leak out. Corrosion may also cause the valve to stick or jam in the open or shut position. The wax element can also be damaged by overheating caused by other conditions.

A faulty thermostat obviously needs to be replaced. But many experts say the thermostat should always be replaced any time an engine has overheated, regardless of what caused it.

Under no circumstances should any modern vehicle be driven without a thermostat. Besides screwing up the operation of the computerized engine control system, the engine can suffer increased blowby and ring wear.

Replacement thermostats should be the same temperature rating as the original to maintain proper operation of the computerized engine control system and emissions. A slightly hotter unit can provide extra heat during winter months but may run too hot during the summer and increase the risk of detonation.

On some vehicles, a special type of thermostat may be required. On many import applications, for example, a thermostat with a "jiggle-pin" vent is used. The vent allows air trapped inside the engine to escape when the cooling system is being filled. Some replacement thermostats also feature a "fail-safe" design that allows some coolant to flow even if the main valve fails.

The thermostat must be installed correctly for it to function properly. The temperature sensing element typically faces the engine so it will be exposed to the hot coolant. Some thermostats must also be indexed a certain way in the housing for proper coolant flow.

Anyone who is replacing a thermostat will also need a new gasket and/or o-ring to seal the housing. Reusing old gaskets and o-rings is not recommended because of the risk of leakage. Also, you may need a new thermostat housing if the old one is badly corroded, which many are.

obtained from this great article: >> http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm50220.htm

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Good info, Mike. " But many experts say the thermostat should always be replaced any time an engine has overheated, regardless of what caused it." This really makes sense!

I had a chance to compare two stats: one was original 195 and the second one was new 180 (you sent me). The new one was much more predictable. Whenever I looked at the DIC it showed 186 F most of time. A few days ago I decided to put the old one back. It does work, but does not show the stability one could expect. The temps are anywhere between 180 and 195 anytime I look at DIC. This old stat survived a couple of mild overheatings (removed serp belt for my experiments with knocks). Bottom line - if you see same temperature most of time, leave the stat alone. If it fluctuates or you had overheating event, replace the stat.

BTW, I did not know stats had a wax inside. I thought they used kind of bimetal part, and could not understand how a bimetal element could degrade.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Got up this morning and found that the "loaner" from the dealership had been vandalized overnight. I made the mistake of parking it on the street. Someone punched the rear hatch door of the car, putting a good dent into it just below the window and then took a key and scratched the black paint on the rear pillar on the passenger side.

I called my insurance company this morning to notify them of the claim, just in case anyone says I have to pay for the damage, which I'm sure they will.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

oh man when it rains it pours

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

oh man when it rains it pours

Yeah, welcome to New Jersey, the Garbage State.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

By the way, this is the mechanic who told me I needed a rebuilt engine for $5,500 as well as throwing a water pump and all sorts of other parts at the car including the thermostat which was installed on 04/13/2006.

Circle Brake & Tire Co.

296 Us Highway 46

Elmwood Park, NJ 07407

201-794-0331

Marika,

I had Ted at Circle Brake, replace a strut mount on my '96 Deville, to the tune of $750. All he is good for is throwing parts at a problem, until he gets lucky. This guy should be locked up!! I am in Elmwood Park, right off of Rte. 46, and later learned that he is a known rip off artist, yet he is always packed with customers.

I have had pretty decent service from the Gemini (Goodyear) Service Center, on 100 Rte. 46. Elmwood Park. Have you ever tried Steve and Joe's on Plauderville Ave., in Garfield? They are great at diagnosing.

I just wanted to jump in here, to let you know, that you aren't the first one to be ripped off by Ted, his reputation is really spreading.

Good Luck, Walt

Got up this morning and found that the "loaner" from the dealership had been vandalized overnight. I made the mistake of parking it on the street. Someone punched the rear hatch door of the car, putting a good dent into it just below the window and then took a key and scratched the black paint on the rear pillar on the passenger side.

I called my insurance company this morning to notify them of the claim, just in case anyone says I have to pay for the damage, which I'm sure they will.

My insurance company called me back. Because I only have comprehensive coverage on the Caddy and no collision coverage, they told me they won't cover the damage on the rental car. The said I would have to have full coverage on the Caddy to cover the rental car, even if the damage to the rental car was not the result of a collision with another vehicle but instead vandalism which is normally covered under comprehensive. I had no idea this was the case since I've never rented a car before. However, the insurance company said they would give the claim to an adjustor and let the adjustor talk to me about it. MORE BAD LUCK.

I think its time to change the name of your car to CHRISTINE

I think its time to change the name of your car to CHRISTINE

I don't understand this. Explain.

Movie Plot Summary for Christine (1983) (great movie)

Highschool geek Arnie Cunningham falls in love with "Christine", a bright red 1958 Plymouth Fury which has seen much better days. Setting himself the task of restoring the car to its original condition, his friends notice that the car is not the only thing that is changing. Arnie seems to spend more and more time with his car. He's also developed a sort of cocky arrogance which does not seem like the real Arnie at all.

Arnie Cunningham is a typical high school nerd who is picked on, overruled by his parents, and has very few friends. Until he meets Christine, a run-down 1958 Plymouth Fury and buys her. Arnie learns that Christine has a thing for him and devotes his time to restoring her to Mint Condition. But overtime, Arnie begins to change and becomes disconnected with reality and his friends. Arnie's girlfriend Leigh and best friend Dennis find out that Christine's previous owner cared about nothing else when he bought her and find out that Arnie is becoming just like him. The only way they can bring Arnie back to reality is to destroy Christine, But Arnie and Christine are ready to destroy them first and any one else who gets in their way.

Movie Plot Summary for Christine (1983) (great movie)

Highschool geek Arnie Cunningham falls in love with "Christine", a bright red 1958 Plymouth Fury which has seen much better days. Setting himself the task of restoring the car to its original condition, his friends notice that the car is not the only thing that is changing. Arnie seems to spend more and more time with his car. He's also developed a sort of cocky arrogance which does not seem like the real Arnie at all.

Arnie Cunningham is a typical high school nerd who is picked on, overruled by his parents, and has very few friends. Until he meets Christine, a run-down 1958 Plymouth Fury and buys her. Arnie learns that Christine has a thing for him and devotes his time to restoring her to Mint Condition. But overtime, Arnie begins to change and becomes disconnected with reality and his friends. Arnie's girlfriend Leigh and best friend Dennis find out that Christine's previous owner cared about nothing else when he bought her and find out that Arnie is becoming just like him. The only way they can bring Arnie back to reality is to destroy Christine, But Arnie and Christine are ready to destroy them first and any one else who gets in their way.

uhmmmmmmm....I think I'll stick with calling the Caddy the "old Greyhound"...LOLOL!!!

:lol: I understand, but rent the movie...

My insurance company called me back. Because I only have comprehensive coverage on the Caddy and no collision coverage, they told me they won't cover the damage on the rental car. The said I would have to have full coverage on the Caddy to cover the rental car, even if the damage to the rental car was not the result of a collision with another vehicle but instead vandalism which is normally covered under comprehensive. I had no idea this was the case since I've never rented a car before. However, the insurance company said they would give the claim to an adjustor and let the adjustor talk to me about it. MORE BAD LUCK.

Something does not sound right - you were not driving the loaner at the time of the vandalism so the damage should be covered by the comprehensive coverage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Something does not sound right - you were not driving the loaner at the time of the vandalism so the damage should be covered by the comprehensive coverage.

I'm not going to volunteer any information to the loaner company about the car. If by chance they miss it then all the better. If they don't miss it and my insurance company gives me a hard to I'm going to rattle their cage pretty good. I've been insured with them for about 20 years now and never had a claim.

I got a call from the dealership. One of the cadillac loaner cars had come in so they told me to bring back the rental car. I did.

I have a CTS now. Nice car! for a six cylinder it's got a lot of spirit and handles very well. The interior is really nice. This one SAYS ON THE BACK, COURTESY CAR, BROGAN TOTOWA. Hopefully no one will touch it because they'll realize it's not owned by anyone where I live, just loaned.

The dealership can't find the problem. They are going to change the thermostat and the gasket for the thermostat and then they said they are going to hook up a special computer to the car that will monitor its activities in real time while they take it out on the road and try to get it to overheat. :( They checked for hydrocarbons in the radiator and found NONE. They are positive the gaskets on the engine are good and that there's nothing wrong with the engine.

I'm getting chest pains from all this stress. It's really making me insane at this point. This car is making me look like a liar :blink::lol: I've been so good to this car, taking care of it and babying it and it enjoys tormenting me and the mechanic too. Little Christine!! :lol::lol::blink:

when you had the pressure test done on the coolant system and it passed, that's a pretty good indicator that the coolant system is tight and thus, you wouldn't find hydrocarbons in the system: but the standard rule for ANY shop is don't take anything for granted, especially work done by another shop.

the best thing the service department can do is start from scratch, check the sytem out, drain the system, fill it and bleed it and road test the car. my money is still on a faulty bleed...there was air in the system and it led to all your problems. time will tell.

jackg

90seville 101k

when you had the pressure test done on the coolant system and it passed, that's a pretty good indicator that the coolant system is tight and thus, you wouldn't find hydrocarbons in the system: but the standard rule for ANY shop is don't take anything for granted, especially work done by another shop.

the best thing the service department can do is start from scratch, check the sytem out, drain the system, fill it and bleed it and road test the car. my money is still on a faulty bleed...there was air in the system and it led to all your problems. time will tell.

jackg

90seville 101k

I told them to keep the car as long as they need to. The mechanic asked me if I ever say the message "turn engine off", I said, "no, never saw it, I only saw engine hot, idle engine". I don't care if they keep the car for weeks, as long as I have this loaner, I just don't want them to return the car to me and it overheats again. This continual problem of overheating will eventually ruin the engine and the gaskets so I hope they finally fix it even if it means installing new fans, sensors, radiator, etc.

SURE keep my 92 SEVILLE AS LONG AS YOU WANT (while I have this CTS)! :lol: Cadillac Break Through! :lol:

No gas mileage complaints PLEASE :lol:

i think you're on the right track bringing it to the dealer. hopefully, it was just a bad bleed job and you'll be good to go.

small aside on bleeding out the coolant system: on my 76 alfa there were bleed screws on top of the water pump and the top of the intake manifold, to ensure the system was free of air.

jackg

90seville 101k

Just got a voicemail message from the dealership. The car failed the road test, the check engine light came on, which it never did before, and it overheated.

Now they are thinking it's a computer problem. I'm waiting for the dealership to call me back. The message the dealership left on my cellphone voice mail told me to hang onto the loaner car over the weekend.

They still insist that all the tests indicate that the head gaskets are NOT blown on the car. The saga continues.

Archived