CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steve: Check the OBD codes and see what that tells us.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't think the 2007 provides self diagnostics.

Without a GM Tech 2 to access the SIR system codes....your just guessing...

Quite a few reports of the yellow airbag connector under the seats somehow getting a little loose, which can create this code (at least reported on STS models; my old '06 did this when the seat was adjusted all the way back). If you push the connector in, and the code immediately disappears, then you have your starting point. This is a good/easy/quick first way to eliminate the simple without costing anything/much.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Autozone and some other similar auto superstores will run your codes for free. If you have OnStar active, they can give you most of them.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

As for the AutoZone and other part store scans...

The equipment they use only gets powertrain codes.

Ouch. I know that OnStar does not read all the codes, but I would expect that they do read safety-related codes.

I will say that I used laptop-hosted OBDLink SX with the GM data pack from ScanTool.net with the Eldorado for quite a while, and it *does* read *all* the codes, including those that aren't displayed on the DIC by the diagnostic mode. They have a WiFi interface that I have but haven't used; it came out after I got the CTS-V and, frankly, I haven't had the need to use a code reader on the CTS-V yet. OBDLink SX also provides the freeze-frame data and other information from the PCM.

It turns out that the Eldorado PCM has a running estimate of the octane of the gas, and I used that to evaluate gas stations. For example, I found that Sunoco Ultra, rated at 93 octane, is... 93 octane. If you drive the car while hooked up, it will populate a spark map, and it has performance estimation and logging modes. The one thing the OBDLink SX won't do is write to the modules, other than clear the codes.

The Tech 2 is available to consumers now, new and used. It started with GM's culling of non-productive dealerships in 2009 or so, because a lot of closed dealerships sold their Tech 2 on eBay. Lately they have been available for anywhere from $150 to $850 new, the lower end being from Hong Kong - apparently Chinese, but genuine GM apparently, possibly for the Chinese GM dealers. But Those Vertronix and Chinese versions are good only to the 2013 model year. The last couple of years use Tech 2 units from Bosch, and although they are available to individuals and non-dealer businesses, I suspect that those are very pricey. I'm looking at one of the Chinese units and probably will get one soon.

By far...most Tech 2s on ebay are fake chinese knockoffs.

But the price is hard to beat....The super cheap ones are at the bottom of the page (ebay) under the sponsored links. Maybe $299 for a fake one. That said....kinda iffy on how long the fake units actually work...some don't work right out of the box. And no place for warranty work or repairs.

One guy got a year in jail for selling fake GM Tech 2s on ebay. Not because they were fake...but because they had the GM trademark logo on them.

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/shop_owner_gets_year_for_selling_fake_gm_devices/

The fire sale on the real ones was back when GM and Saturn dealers were closing. I bought 2 (and some other tools) from a closing Saturn dealer for $1100.

Real Tech 2s have always been available for sale to the public. You just needed a credit card and deep pockets.

There are Vetronix, HP, Aligent, and Bosch versons. There are also some relabled versions such as OTC and Mac Tool. Some are labeled for Saturn, Opel, Vauxhal, logo brands etc. They are all the same unit.

Picture shows a rare Saturn logo Tech 2.

post-2-0-40494500-1446823032_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Listers,

Thanks for the pointers and suggestions re. the Check Air Bag message, and the repeated Code for the #4 mis fire.

I'm hoping to get access to a quality scanner.

Steve M

Maryland

Here's your scan tool:

https://www.scantool.net/software/

You will need one of their OBD II port interfaces; they have several. You will need a laptop to host the software.

I use the torque pro app on my phone with a blue tooth obd dongle and love it. It's great to be able to scan with my phone and also get real live data stream. It was cheap. I think about $5 for the app and about $30 for the dongle.

Not sure if it does air bag codes but it does do abs codes.

The ScanTool dongles come with a free app. I use the paid premium app, with the GM data add-on, which can read all the codes. They have versions that can be hosed on phones or tablets of course. Jwoods016 apparently does a lot of work so his solution will likeley work for you too. Or, you can do a web search and pick your own. Note that Jwoods016 and I have proven solutions.

There is a huge difference between most of the third-party scan tool alternatives and a Tech II: you can't write to the modules except to clear codes. Some aftermarket tuning apps can change the spark map and other tuning parameters; Bruce can help you with the ones he uses.

Thanks Logan for the info. I hope to purchase something suitable soon. As we discussed the snap on unit is outrageously priced. I am reluctant to buy used genuine Tech 2s from someone I don't know on ebay for fear it will be defective.

What year did GM stop permitting all codes to be accessed via the on board diagnostic system? Did it coincide with the CAN network introduction?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What year did GM stop permitting all codes to be accessed via the on board diagnostic system? Did it coincide with the CAN network introduction?

2005 was the last year the codes could be accessed from the climate control panel for the Deville. It was 2004 for the Seville and 2002 for the Eldorado.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks Kevin

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How about the 2007 DTS?

Nope - 2005 was the last year for onboard diagnostics in the Deville, Deville DHS and Deville DTS.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I own a snap on modis and like it. But I've also acquired a scan tool made by launch, it's called a dia-gun. It's very impressive especially for the price. It does all domestic Asian and European model's. The software for each brand is almost a complete copy of the manufactures scan tool. It's very amazing. It can write to modules and code them.

I paid less than $800 for my tool. If you own more than 1 brand of car or do work on other people's cars I recommend it. Not sure how they get the software without a lawsuit because the vw,Benz, Porsche and Ford are dead ringers for the dealer software. The screens options and other items are spot on. I've never used a tech 2 so I can't comment on that aspect.

Archived