CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crank no start issue

Livin Legends

Hi i have a 96 cadillac eldoraldo NORTHSTAR engine. The problem im having is a crank no start. I was driving and the next thing i know I lost all spark. I replaced the (NEW)fuel pump,fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator,spark plugs...........ICM & coil packs( USED FROM JUNK YARD) BUT CHECKED OUT FINE @ Autozone,cam position sensor (USED @JUNK YARD),& both crank position sensors(USED @ JUNK YARD).I checked & replaced all fuses under the hood & in the trunk.My compression checked out just fine, No timing issues @ all. all grounds to the car checked out fine No wiring issues @ all. What else could be causing this problem?

Have you tested for spark? What was the fuel pressure?

Check for codes - you may have a security system that is preventing the car from starting.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would say dont throw anymore parts at it without knowing for sure because you can make more problems than you started with.

Especially when you put salvage parts in.

I see you say you had no spark but why would you replace the fuel pump? Just curious.

Ir it were no fuel I would say check the fuel pump relay in the underhood electrical center, or the harness in the tank, or pump.\

I would pull the cover off the electrical center and see if there is anything obvious in there. Sometimes the grounds, fuse or relay connections get corroded and cause problems.

On many GMs in general I find a no spark to be caused by a failed ICM(what the coil packs sit on) But they are not too common.

Did the car give you any kind of warning before it would not start.

Welcome to Caddyinfo forum. I wish you the best of luck. 1996 was a great year

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Are all the electrical connections seated on the ignition control module? There is one that if it is unplugged or not making good contact will result in no spark.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You need to check for voltage at several points. On a car this old, it can be a part that cannot simply be replaced (as you are experiencing) can be a bad wire in a harness, corrosion, or an out of position pin on a connector plug for a module. Back track to how the problem began. Was there any recent work done on the car just prior to this failure?

I haven't seen any list of OBD codes. With a 1996 you can run the OBD codes from the A/C buttons (see my signature block for a link to instructions). The OBD codes will almost certainly tell us what's wrong.

When the car dies, or turns over but doesn't start, run back and smell the exhaust. If you smell gas, it's the ignition. If you don't, it's the fuel injection wiring.

Get a spark tester (something that holds your spark plug and grounds it) and see if there is spark when you crank it, then look at the fuel injection wiring.

There are two fuses for the fuel injection, one for half the cylinders and one for the other half.

There are starting disable situations in the anti-theft system.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

There is a connector on the driverside underneath the big fuse block cover

check C101 bulk connector, corrosion happens inside the cavity and leads to multiple issues.

Everybody is guessing until we see the OBD codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived