CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Member with a 98 Deville. doesn't have spark. need help please!

Hi Everyone. Sorry for the long first post, But I'm at a loss on this car!..

I bought a 98 Deville with the northstar engine at a tow lot auction. I thought it would be an easy fix, the car came with no key's so i took the vin to the dealer and had new key's made thinking that would be all i need! Not!

the key would turn the ignition but the car would not crank over, and the dash cluster wouldn't work. So did my research and came to the conlusion that i needed to fix the cluster before i did anything else. so a stop at a junk yard and i had a cluster, and installed it, the cluster worked. but still the car wont crank.

so back to the internet. I found that that the GM Security System may still be causing the issue. so i bought a PRO Module that would bypass the whole security system.

Easy install and after going through the codes and finding the right one. the car cranks over. but still wasn't starting. checked the fuel pump, it's working. so next i checked for spark.. none!.

I email the people that sold the PRO Module and they said that has nothing to do with the Security System. it only stops the starter and the injectors.

So I'm stuck with figuring out what to check next.It's showing no codes when i scan it. Any Ideas what would cause the no spark?. according to the previous owner *I found paperwork in the car*. it ran great until the insterment cluster went out. The car has under 90K miles. and looks super clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Eddie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good progress so far. To diagnose the spark I would think through the whole flow. Ignition signals PCM, PCM signals coils, coils send spark to the plugs. Test each link in that chain to see what is not happening.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

How are you checking the codes? On your car, you can press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for a few seconds to put the car's computers in the diagnostic mode and display all the codes on the DIC. If you are using a hand-held code reader, it may just be giving you the emissions-related codes, which may or may not give you any codes related to a no-spark problem.

Assuming that you are using the car's OBD readout and there are no codes, there are a few simple things you can do to track down the problem. First, the nose test: Crank the car, turn the key off, and smell the exhaust. If you smell gas, you have an ignition problem. If you don't smell gas, you have a fuel problem. Second, check the relevant fuses:

In the underhood fulse/relay block:

• 10 Amp MIRROR fuse
  • 10 Amp PCM (BAT) fuse
  • 10 Amp IGN 0 (ENG) fuse
  • 10 Amp PCM (IGN) fuse
  • 20 Amp DISTR fuse <== Don't miss this one, it powers the ignition module!
  • 20 Amp FUEL PUMP fuse
  • 10 Amp INJ fuse (cyls. 2,3,5,8) <== Fuel injectors
  • 10 Amp INJ fuse (cyls 1,4,6,7) <== Fuel injectors
  • 10 Amp ECS fuse
  • 10 Amp OXY SEN 1 fuse
  • 10 Amp OXY SEN 2 fuse
  • 10 Amp CRUISE fuse

In the trunk compartment fuse/relay block:

• 10 Amp RLY IGN 1 fuse

The 1997 FSM section on "Engine Cranks but Does Not Run" section has, roughly, these steps below. Note that the nose test can tell you a lot of these things.

• Check the OBD codes. Address any codes seen. In particular, address P0231, P0232, P0322, P0601, P0602, P1376, P1631, P1632 or P1634.
  • Check one or two spark wires to see if the plugs are getting spark. The FSM refers to a tester. The best way I know of is to get an extra spark plug and use that, being sure that the threads of the test plug are well grounded. You can pop the ignition wires or even a coil by not allowing a spark to jump across a reasonable gap.
  • Check the power and grounds on the PCM.
  • Pull a wire off a fuel injector and put a test light on it, between the two terminals in the wiring harness. If the test light flashes when you crank the engine, the injectors are getting their signal.
  • Check the voltage on the PNK wire on each injector. You should be getting at least 10 Volts there while the engine is cranking.

If the car doesn't sound completely normal when cranking over, run a compression check. That will reveal a problem with a timing chain or other rare internal engine problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

OK Thanks! I was checking with a hand held code reader. i did as you said and it brought up a bunch of codes.

here is a list it scrolled through. lmk if these are anything i can you. thanks.

PCM P1604 HISTORY

PCM P1631 HISTORY

IPC B 1552 HISTORY

IPC B 2710 HISTORY

SDMP 1147, H 1148H, 1155 CURRENT 1159 CURRENT 1160 H 1161 H 1163 H

SDMU 1096 H, 1064H, 1255H

SDMB 1237H

NO TSC

PZMB 1982H 1983H, 2471H.

PZMU 1096H 1255H

NO IRC DATA

RFAU 1300H

MSMB 1982H, 1983H.

MSMU 1064H

MMMB 2146 CURRENT

PCM?

The trunk fuse and relay center is on the back of the back seat on the driver's side. You get to it by pulling the trunk liner down.

P1604 Loss of IPC Serial Data
P1631 Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Correct
B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B2710 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet
SDM
B1147 Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction
B1148 Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction

B1160 Loss of Serial Data - VIN Not Received
B1161 Lamp Circuit Failure

SDM
U1096 Loss of Communications with IPC
U1064 Loss of Communications with DIM
U1255 Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)
B1237H

NO TSC

PZM
B1982 Device Power Circuit High
B1983 Device Power Circuit Low
B2471 Interior Lamp Fault
U1096 Loss of Communications with IPC
U1255 Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

NO IRC DATA

RFA
P1300 Ignitor Circuit

MSM
B1982 Device Power Circuit High
B1983 Device Power Circuit Low
U1064 Loss of Communications with DIM

CURRENT CODES

MMM
B2146 Left Front Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor Circuit Low

Either
B1155 SDM Calibration Mismatch
B1159 Loss of Serial Data-Key Not Received
Or,
P1155 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Lean Mean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P1159 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Cross Counts Bank 2 Sensor 2

A couple of these might have a typo; the ignitor is an HID headlight component, not a radio component, for example. The two CURRENT cods can either be split between an air bag comms problem and another comms problem between the IPM and the DIM over the key resistor, or it can mean that the oxygen sensors on the rear bank and the front of the CAT have a problem. None of these point to a no-spark problem. So, we are looking for something that doesn't throw codes but will kill the spark.

The crank and cam sensors rarely give trouble for the 1998 model year Nortstars, and in any case they should throw codes if they are flaky or bad.

The coils, ignition modules, wires, plugs or boots sometimes go bad but usually not all the cylinders at one. That's why I was thinking a fuse might be the culprit. I would look at the grounds for the ignition module. There are two, one through the wiring harness and one through the cam cover, and they both must be good for the car to run properly - or at all.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

OK Update. #1 Checked the fuse in the trunk. it's good. repaced it anyway to be sure. still not starting. #2 check the ground to the coil pack. looks great no corrosion or anything. step 3 checked coil pack for voltage. the 2 wire plug on the right side shows 12 volts on the red/pink wire. the 2 plug on the left shows no volts on the red/pink wire. could this be the issue?.. also pulled the coil wire on #6 cylinder and I hear a faint spark. but real weak..

Update! It seems it's a fuel problem..Not a spark issue as I had thought. after i found light spark, I decided to try spraying some starting fluid in the intake and the car fired up for a couples seconds. so I'm getting spark, and I'm getting the fuel pump to engage, and pressure to the to the fuel bank. but I'm thinking not enough pressure to start it. So next step is get a fuel pressure gage and check the psi.How mush psi should I be getting to the to the fuel bank? I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is weak?

Update! It seems it's a fuel problem..Not a spark issue as I had thought. after i found light spark, I decided to try spraying some starting fluid in the intake and the car fired up for a couples seconds. so I'm getting spark, and I'm getting the fuel pump to engage, and pressure to the to the fuel bank. but I'm thinking not enough pressure to start it. So next step is get a fuel pressure gage and check the psi.How mush psi should I be getting to the to the fuel bank? I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is weak?

45 PSI

Posted Image

OK Fuel pressure test shows 50psi while cranking over, and 40psi not cranking. seems to be going up to 45psi after sitting 5 mins. The Guy at the auto parts store looked it up and said it shows two different fuel pressures, one without fuel vaper at 80-130 psi while cranking, and 60psi not cranking, and the one with fuel vapor at 70-90psi while cranking, and 35-45 not cranking. So Do I need a fuel pump?... or should i change the fuel filter first?

Since you don't know the history of the car...

Maybe the injectors are all offline

Or the fuel tank is either full of water or stale gas.

Check the fuel injector fuses and wiring, and put a few gallons of fresh gas in it.

Someone else might know, but your test light in an injector plug might work without damaging the ecm. You can start by checking for current to the fuse panel where he injectors get power from. A cylinder needs fuel, spark and air. Seems your fuel supply stops at the injector. I don't think a fuel pressure regulator will prevent fuel from getting to the injector. Also you might have someone turn the key as you hold the injector to feel or hear for it clicking -You can use a hose as a kind of stethoscope to help hear.

Your fuel pressure is fine. Nobody reads 130 psi fuel pressure on a DFI port injection system.

I tested the injector plugs with my test light. they are getting voltage when the key is on. and you can feel the fuel flowing through the fuel regulator.. any more suggestions? cam sensor?

If it runs when you spray starting fluid in it... it's getting spark.

The only thing left is it's not getting fuel.

Posted Image

If it's getting spark, the cam and crank sensors are working.

Archived