CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how low is freon when 2002 Eldorado shows dash message?

my car turned its AC off and the dash said LOW REFRIGERENT. How many cans do I need to add?

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

I would be looking for a leak.

THe message likely comes on around .75 lbs. it occurs when the system pressure is too low. So really anything over .50 quarts would be sufficient to please the pressure sensor.

I would hook up a gauge and see what the pressure is as you add charge of freon.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The 2002 FSM says that the 2002 Eldorado uses 2.2 lbs of Freon R-134a. The total amount of oil is 9.0 oz, and when you replace a Freon system component you replace the amount of oil that you drain from it. If you don't or can't measure the amount of oil in a component, the FSM gives these guides:

• Compressor: 2.0 oz.
  • Condenser: 1.0 oz.
  • Evaporator: 3.0 oz.
  • Accumulator: Exception! measure the amount drained, add 2.0 oz, and add that total back to the system.

The FSM gives PAG Oil GM P/N 12345923 for United States, PAG Oil GM P/N 10953486 for Canada. I don't turn up anything for the twelve-year-old GM part number on a web search but I do turn up an 8 oz bottle of ACDelco 10-5040 Universal PAG Oil on Amazon for $13.78:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-5040-Universal-PAG-Oil/dp/B0026JK8HS

If it has no leak that a rented sniffer finds, and it doesn't respond to Freon immediately, the reed valves on the compressor probably have gone. This can be repaired by a kit that includes a compressor, accumulator/drier, and orifice tube/filter/restrictor orifice. Rock Auto lists three of these kits for $176 to $188. Compressor guarantee is two years or 24,000 miles, clutch is one year or 12,000 miles, the rest is 120 days from Four Seasons, one year or 12,000 miles from GPD. Both warranties are contingent on use of the full kit and following instructions that include flushing the system, pumping it down, and recharge with 2.2 lbs of Freon R-134a. You will want a kit of seals and O-rings if you don't have them handy and don't want to be buying them one at a time. The GPD kit includes a seal/O-ring kit. GPD sells the seal/O-ring kit separately for $6.36, Four Seasons also sells the seal/O-rink kit for $7.43.

You can get the parts to rebuild the compressor yourself, but of course there is no warranty. You may be able to rent a Freon R-134a recovery system but most states require a license to do Freon R-134a work, so that implies that you will have to have a licensed Freon R-134a tech do the work for anything beyond simply adding a little Freon R-134a.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A 2002 will be using R134a.

You do not need a license to purchase R134a. Even Walmart and Big Lots sells it..

R12 does require a license. There is a thru the mail..open book..$10 test that can be done to obtain the license to purchase R12.

The PAG oil mentioned is high viscosity PAG oil (150 viscosity). That is what all the GM R-134a systems of that vintage used. The HD-6/HR-6 compressors are "belly leakers" after 10+ years due to corrosion getting under the case o-rings and causig a leak path. The system may just be low on refrigerant after all these years and need a can or two to restore the opeation of the system. If you can buy a can of R-134a with UV dye, add it to the system, run the car for a short time with the A/C on and then put the car on ramps or jack stands and crawl under it and inspect the compressor - if you see the UV dye on the case you have found the source of the leak.

Those compressors can be repaired for about $50.00 in seals - the majority of the cost is the shaft seal which is a GM part.

The only restriction I know of on R-134a is Wisconsin prohibits the sale of 12 oz. cans so it must be purchased in 30 pound cylinders. Also, it must be recovered, not vented to the atmosphere. To me, the 12 oz. cans are a PITA and they're expensive compared to buying it in 30 lb. cylinders.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Times change I guess...it's no longer a $10 test....it's $20.

609 certification to purchase R12 can be done here:

http://www.macsw.org/imis15/MACS/Section_609_Certification/MACS/Certification/Section_609_Certifcation.aspx?hkey=a4bf82fe-9db6-4507-8ddd-27fd9b9153f6

That said..I think the last R12 cars were built over 20 years ago...so not many left.

http://www.macsw.org/imis15/MACS/Section_609_Certification/MACS/Certification/Section_609_Certifcation.aspx?hkey=a4bf82fe-9db6-4507-8ddd-27fd9b9153f6

That said..I think the last R12 cars were built over 20 years ago...so not many left.

In my garage, I still have a few cans of R12 and the oil in pressurized cans that go with the R12... LOL

Posted Image

Or..... Buy a can of 134a with a filler valve attached, and fill it up.

You will need to clear the code so the compressor turns on initially to suck in the gas. You may be lucky, and just have a slow leak that will let you run the ac for another 12 years without fill up.

That's the place where I took my test 14 years ago.

GM last used R-12 for the 1993 model year. I think Ford switched to R-134a for 1992. I have no Idea when Chrysler switched to R-134a. My '93 Fleetwood is still an R-12 car - the A/C is ice cold and I still have the original R4 compressor on it. I put a new shaft seal in it 6 years ago and took care of any leaks at that time.

Before the government screwed it all up, a 30 pound cylinder of R-12 was $28.00. I used to buy the 12oz. cans on clearance in the fall for 88 cents!

In my garage, I still have a few cans of R12 and the oil in pressurized cans that go with the R12... LOL

If you ever want to sell that R-12, let me know.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived