CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Tech 2 Scanner

Paul S

Look on ebay to buy it. Tech 2 are getting so cheap because tghe dealers went to an MDI set-up. I bought a clone from Chinna a year and a half ago with candi for 550 shipped and worked great!

Look on ebay to buy it. Tech 2 are getting so cheap because tghe dealers went to an MDI set-up. I bought a clone from Chinna a year and a half ago with candi for 550 shipped and worked great!

What is the MDI setup the dealers are now using? Is it a laptop based system?

I have not heard good things about the Chinese clones of the Tech 2's.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The MDI is sort of a laptop version of a Tech 2. It really does not make a Tech 2 obsolete. You will need both.

It's not that the dealers are getting rid of the Tech 2's because of MDI. It's because the dealers are closing or closed due to the GM bankruptcy.

If your Chinese Tech 2 stops working....there is no one that can fix it. Bosch certainly isn't.. I bet there are Chinese fake MDI's around too.

post-2-0-72469800-1370007514_thumb.jpg

I took a chance . It really worked out cause it has paid itself off and then some. What isnt made in China now- a-days.

AC Delco has some info on the fake ones. See page 2 of the PDF.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I209.pdf

One guy got a year in jail for selling fake GM Tech 2's....

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/shop_owner_gets_year_for_selling_fake_gm_devices/

It's your money. We bought 2 real ones from a closing Saturn dealer.

AC Delco has some info on the fake ones. See page 2 of the PDF.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I209.pdf

One guy got a year in jail for selling fake GM Tech 2's....

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/shop_owner_gets_year_for_selling_fake_gm_devices/

It's your money. We bought 2 real ones from a closing Saturn dealer.

I'm glad they threw the book at that guy. Hopefully, it will send a message but there will always be someone who will sell counterfiet products...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Unless you want to write back to the PCM and other modules beyond the override codes, you don't need a Tech II. There are safety and security features for Tech IIs that can't be accessed without dealer-only information so someone can't buy a Tech II and use it to launder stolen cars, which means that at Tech II is not much more powerful than a good laptop-based scan tool. You can get a Bluetooth dongle that you put on your OBD interface under the dash on the driver's side, then a friend with a laptop with the engine analyzer software on it can do what needs to be done from the back seat or even in the car in the next lane.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I was wondering if anyone knew where one could rent a scanner, or if there is anyplace to rent one.

Why does he need a Tech 2? Still waiting...there are some work arounds.

Unless you want to write back to the PCM and other modules beyond the override codes, you don't need a Tech II. There are safety and security features for Tech IIs that can't be accessed without dealer-only information so someone can't buy a Tech II and use it to launder stolen cars, which means that at Tech II is not much more powerful than a good laptop-based scan tool. You can get a Bluetooth dongle that you put on your OBD interface under the dash on the driver's side, then a friend with a laptop with the engine analyzer software on it can do what needs to be done from the back seat or even in the car in the next lane.

GM dealers do not possess super-secret-dealer-only software for the Tech 2. Any one can obtain the same exact software for a price. The Tech 2 can do quite a bit more then any laptop....it can access any system...ABS...airbags...climate control...the list is endless.

The only thing a dealer may have is PCM programming software. A GM dealer uses a Techline PC terminal to do this. Again...pass thru programming devices are available for purchase in the aftermarket for a price. I would suggest most GM cars never have a software upgrade during the life of the vehicle.

Some things a GM dealer cannot do with a Tech 2:

They cannot access or change the vehicle mileage stored in the IPC.

They cannot access the black box crash data stored in the air bag SDM.

Logan - thank you for fleshing out the capabilities and limitations of the Tech II. Is there dealer-only information about OnStar and the RFA that is protected to ensure the integrity of the car's OnStar and anti-theft measures? For example, of a car thief could access OnStar interfaces the same way that OnStar does, they could check for cars in the local area, then get the status of each car, including make, model, mileage, and even tire pressure, then unlock the doors, flash the headlights, honk the horn, and when the thief found the car, start it for him.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Basically a cell phone....most of OnStar is a controlled by the vehicle communication interface module (VCIM)....and OnStar itself offsite. That said...there is some Tech 2 access.

Just a very quick example....Picture shows the OnStar GPS signal on our 2009 Chevrolet Traverse with our Tech 2 taken this morning.

You can't do that with a laptop...

post-2-0-81973500-1370366984_thumb.jpg

There was a interesting story on the local TV news about a month ago. Bad guys were using something to remotely unlock cars (non GM) and steal valuables. Cops didn't know how they were doing it...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/car-thieves-tech-gadgets-baffle-police-18891078

Methinks some of the "me-too" OnStar wannabees aren't as secure as OnStar. GM has had vehicle and owner security and safety as an overriding concern in every OnStar system since 1996.

Basically a cell phone....most of OnStar is a controlled by the vehicle communication interface module (VCIM)....and OnStar itself offsite. That said...there is some Tech 2 access.

Just a very quick example....Picture shows the OnStar GPS signal on our 2009 Chevrolet Traverse with our Tech 2 taken this morning.

You can't do that with a laptop...

I've been wondering why, since I got my 1997 with OnStar, that they don't integrate the GPS with the car's clock and compass and such. For example, the GPS, with a time zone map, can set the clock automatically to within milliseconds of the correct time. With the same magnetic North map they have in the owner's manual, the compass can be corrected for true North from the GPS latitude and longitude. The GPS altitude can be useful in setting MAP codes, adjusting engine tuning maps, etc. You could even get it to run a little leaner in California or Denver or Connecticut or some of the newly industrialized cities in China and other emerging countries in the summertime when unburnt hydrocarbons are a problem.

Sorry to have taken so long to get to every one on this issue. The recent storms we have had has kept me busy in the back yard rather than the garage where I wanted to be.

The reason for wanting a tech 2 scanner was that I have a code of B1343 & B1344 on my '99 STS. I understand this is do to a malfunction in the actuator for the heater/ defrost door. I also understand that this is a major job to replace. I thought if I were lucky and nothing was broken, I might be able to recalibrate the actuator so that all was in harmony again.

Hmm...2 different actuators....if I'm looking at the service manual correctly..

The B1343 (air inlet) one can be replaced by removing the glove box.

The B1344 (mode valve) one wants you to pull the dash to replace.

Any funny popping noises coming from the dash?

Have you tried clearing the codes?

I would also try disconnecting the battery and they may self calibrate.

The actuators can and do go bad. Having 2 bad at the same time is a bit suspicious...

A Tech 2 will certainly allow you to command each actuator and listen for any funny sounds etc...they can have cracked gears etc. It will also let you calibrate them.

I don't know anywhere that will rent a Tech 2. A laptop code reader software will not work with the HVAC system.

Archived