CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

XM Radio 2012 SRX

BUICK11

It seems like every few days we are getting a message on the screen of our 2012 SRX with weather that the radio is downloading updates. I have called XM customer care and 3 times they have sent a signal to the radio that corrected the issue. I asked them if this could be a issue as a result of the recent hurricane and they said NO it was most likely a problem with the radio in the car. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had or is currently having this problem? The 2012 SRX is only a few months old and I do not want to start taking things apart unless I am reasonably sure it is a equipment problem.

Thanks

Looks like it's time for a trip to the dealer; new car, get it officially looked at.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Just came from the dealer they are checking for a TSB and something called a PI, before I drop it off

Thanks just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem

Please keep us posted on this issue. Your concern is certainly understandable. I hope your SRX is repaired quickly. Please send a PM if needed. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Just came from the dealer they are checking for a TSB and something called a PI, before I drop it off

Please keep us posted on this issue. Your concern is certainly understandable. I hope your SRX is repaired quickly. Please send a PM if needed. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Thanks for your concern. The dealer is doing some major work on one of my other cars.Once it is completed the game plan was to swap cars and let them look at the SRX.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Thanks for your concern. The dealer is doing some major work on one of my other cars.Once it is completed the game plan was to swap cars and let them look at the SRX.

You're welcome. Please keep me updated. I hope everything is taken care of quickly and have a good week.

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

My goodness, GM Customer Assurance! I only really needed these people once, to deal with a dealer's insistence on keeping my new 1966 427 Corvette three months because it came with the wrong water pump belt, even though I found the right one in a Gates and left it on the floor of the front seat passenger side when I dropped off the car; I called them and my car was ready the next morning, and the dealer wasn't mad. Not only are these guys great problem solvers, they know everything (or can find out what the don't know quickly without us mortals knowing that they even looked), and they are great with tact and gentleness. They can educate both you *and* a dealer to get a problem fixed, and they are wired in to OnStar and gently and seamless emerge there when appropriate.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I was pleased to see their interest. The XM customer care needs a lot of improvement. At one time we had a Cadillac and Onstar handled most XM issues.Today with this car you have to call XM and speak to someone out of the country (Phillipines or Bermuda). When we first took delivery of this car last summer I sat in the car and was told by XM customer car that the car did not have the Nav-Traffic options. I told XM rep I was looking at it. She insisted that the car did not have it. All I wanted to do was extend the subscription 2 years when the trial expired. I was so ticked I prepared a letter to the CEO of GM and Mel Karmazin CEO of XM Sirus and FEDEX it out. the situation was quickly resolved. GM indicated they were glad to receive it. My suggestion to Mel Karmazin is that they have a special customer care group for high end car buyers like Cadillac, Lexus and Lincoln. Back to the situation at hand. I visited my dealer today to see how the work on our DTS was coming. I spoke directly to the Tech. He had time yesterday to check the TSB's and could find nothing. The Cadillac Technical services hotline he can call once the car is physically in their shop. He indicated that sometimes the techinal services may have a type of computer download that can correct the situation. Being here in the northeast I will have to wait for the weather to clear before I can swap cars.

In any event I will advise the results. Just want to take this situation slowly before car is disturbed. While I am not a techie I still think that hurricane Sandy had something to do with the XM transmissions even though XM Tech said no.

Will advise.

No such issues with my 2012 Volt, the XM trial just expired (3 months) and no downloads or updates for the entire time. I won't sign on to XM's business model and give them a credit card number. I absolutely HATE automatic renewal of ANY service. My neighbor just had to have his XM radio replaced in his 2010 Malibu.....it kept switching to AUX input on its own.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

No such issues with my 2012 Volt, the XM trial just expired (3 months) and no downloads or updates for the entire time. I won't sign on to XM's business model and give them a credit card number. I absolutely HATE automatic renewal of ANY service. My neighbor just had to have his XM radio replaced in his 2010 Malibu.....it kept switching to AUX input on its own.

Go online to your credit card company and get a temporary number.

They expire after 30 days and are no longer valid.

No automatic renewal that way.

Posted Image

I am scheduled to bring in the SRX this week. I am narrowing it down to the weather traffic feature that is updating every time we take the car out of the garage in the morning. It takes 20 minutes to update the weather. Since we live between 2 small airports sometimes we get the weather from Philadelphia Pa and sometimes from Mercer county Trenton airport. The Tech is anxious to check it out but the more research I do the more I think it may be normal. I did talk to a XM Technical person ??? They told me their were no repeaters out in our area. By the way the XM radio always works during the weather-Nav -Traffic downloads

That is it for now

Will advise

I won't sign on to XM's business model and give them a credit card number. I absolutely HATE automatic renewal of ANY service.

I agree - lots of information on the web about how it is just about impossible to cancel the service if you decide it is not for you. When I bought my '05 Deville, I called XM and they activated the radio for four or six weeks. I thought it was a nice feature and told them to send me a statement each quarter which they do. I think XM radio is on the pricey side - $49.00 per quarter for just the basic service....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

u had the wrong waterpump belt installed on your vette? and you found the right one but took the car to the dealer to have them put it on? is that hard to do?

I won't sign on to XM's business model and give them a credit card number. I absolutely HATE automatic renewal of ANY service.

I agree - lots of information on the web about how it is just about impossible to cancel the service if you decide it is not for you. When I bought my '05 Deville, I called XM and they activated the radio for four or six weeks. I thought it was a nice feature and told them to send me a statement each quarter which they do. I think XM radio is on the pricey side - $49.00 per quarter for just the basic service....

I only pay 77 bucks for a whole YEAR...

I renew it a year at a time... with a one time use credit card number... That way there is no automatic renewal.

Posted Image

u had the wrong waterpump belt installed on your vette? and you found the right one but took the car to the dealer to have them put it on? is that hard to do?

It was a long time ago. The dealership had some obvious management problems and was working them as best they could. It was a very old dealership at the time, probably one of the first Chevrolet dealerships, and they are thriving today.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I renew it a year at a time... with a one time use credit card number... That way there is no automatic renewal.

Jim,

How did you get that deal? Just by asking for a one year price? I seriously considered dumping the XM radio when it came due last month because of the price.

Sirius/XM's customer service SUCKS. When I bought my Deville, I called them to ask if they had a trial offer and they were rude and said NO. I called back, got another operator and she was less rude and told me "Your dealer should have offered this to you - we don't have a free trial period." I told them there was NO WAY I was going to fork over money without trying the service to see if I liked it first. She told me, "There nothing we can do. Goodbye." I called back a third time and the operator was OK - not rude, but not overly nice either. She told me that the free activation was not possible on my radio since it had already been activated. I told her that did not surprise me - I bought the car used. She then told me that the dealer should have offered this and I told her they didn't - they are a small, used car dealer, not a large GM dealer. Then she told me there was a 30 or 60 day free trial that she could offer. I accepted that offer and then asked her why I had to speak to three operators to get it and why no one would listen to me. I didn't receive much of an answer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim,

How did you get that deal? Just by asking for a one year price? I seriously considered dumping the XM radio when it came due last month because of the price.

Sirius/XM's customer service SUCKS. When I bought my Deville, I called them to ask if they had a trial offer and they were rude and said NO. I called back, got another operator and she was less rude and told me "Your dealer should have offered this to you - we don't have a free trial period." I told them there was NO WAY I was going to fork over money without trying the service to see if I liked it first. She told me, "There nothing we can do. Goodbye." I called back a third time and the operator was OK - not rude, but not overly nice either. She told me that the free activation was not possible on my radio since it had already been activated. I told her that did not surprise me - I bought the car used. She then told me that the dealer should have offered this and I told her they didn't - they are a small, used car dealer, not a large GM dealer. Then she told me there was a 30 or 60 day free trial that she could offer. I accepted that offer and then asked her why I had to speak to three operators to get it and why no one would listen to me. I didn't receive much of an answer.

Since I already have XM... when it is time to renew, I call 'em and ask for the $77 dollar "Internet Special"...

They always play dumb and claim to not know what you are talking about and at first, say they can't do it.

I tell 'em ... OK... transfer me to the cancellation dept...

I am old, don't drive much and don't really need it at the regular price because I don't listen to it all that much.

They then usually go ahead and give it to me, or transfer me to someone who does.

If they still refuse, I tell them I will think about it... then I hang up and call 'em right back and talk to someone a little easier to get along with.

I have been doing that since December of 2005 when I got the first 2006 DTS... :):)

It had a 3 month trial which ran out in December of 2005.

Posted Image

I've been able to hold out on the Caddy for the best XM deal I've ever found....$25.00 for six months (which, of course ends up being $31.50 after taxes). I'm hoping that I can get the same offer for the Volt next spring. I take the Caddy south in the winter, and drive the Volt in the Summer, so 6 months works out OK for me.

I've sent them bank money orders in the past, so no auto renewal. Next year I'm just going to set up the XM account as an electronic bill payment through the bank, that way my name won't even show up on the payment. I've also heard recently that the service can be transferred between two vehicles. If that's the case, I'd go for the $77.00/12 mo. deal in a heartbeat.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

:D

Since I already have XM... when it is time to renew, I call 'em and ask for the $77 dollar "Internet Special"...

They always play dumb and claim to not know what you are talking about and at first, say they can't do it.

I am old, don't drive much and don't really need it at the regular price because I don't listen to it all that much.

They then usually go ahead and give it to me, or transfer me to someone who does.

If they still refuse, I tell them I will think about it... then I hang up and call 'em right back and talk to someone a little easier to get along with.

I have been doing that since December of 2005 when I got the first 2006 DTS... :):)

Sounds a lot like my dealing with XM... it takes at least three attempts to get the desired result... Thanks for the tip - I plan to use it when the next XM bill comes due. If they don't give me a deal, I WILL cancel. :D

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

:D

Sounds a lot like my dealing with XM... it takes at least three attempts to get the desired result... Thanks for the tip - I plan to use it when the next XM bill comes due. If they don't give me a deal, I WILL cancel. :D

Make sure they have your MAILING ADDRESS...

If you do have to cancel... they will then start sending you all kinds of special deals to get you to sign up again... :):):)

Posted Image

I am scheduled to bring in the SRX this week. I am narrowing it down to the weather traffic feature that is updating every time we take the car out of the garage in the morning. It takes 20 minutes to update the weather. Since we live between 2 small airports sometimes we get the weather from Philadelphia Pa and sometimes from Mercer county Trenton airport. The Tech is anxious to check it out but the more research I do the more I think it may be normal. I did talk to a XM Technical person ??? They told me their were no repeaters out in our area. By the way the XM radio always works during the weather-Nav -Traffic downloads

That is it for now

Will advise

Keep us posted on the status of your service. Please send a PM if you any issues or concerns with the quality of service received. I hope you have a good week! Thank you.

Matt,

Well got a call from the Technican, all seems to be normal. Perhaps I should have posted this in the SRX area. This vehicle has a bit more than just XM Radio it has the Weather Navigation system as well. On a regular basis it has to load the weather that includes the 5 day extended weather forecast as well as road closings and detours. A bit more complicated than just the XM radio. With our recent storm their are a number of detours in this area because of trees down and I guess somehow the state DOT's transmit this information to XM and it is sent out to the vehicles with this feature. This is the wife's vehicle so she has to learn all this stuff. I just like to stay with my older vehicles.

Thanks for your concern Matt. I was glad to see that Cadillac Customer assistance was willing to jump in. I was also glad that the Technican took the time to do the proper research before he started taking things apart!

Charlie

Well got a call from the Technican, all seems to be normal. Perhaps I should have posted this in the SRX area. This vehicle has a bit more than just XM Radio it has the Weather Navigation system as well. On a regular basis it has to load the weather that includes the 5 day extended weather forecast as well as road closings and detours. A bit more complicated than just the XM radio. With our recent storm their are a number of detours in this area because of trees down and I guess somehow the state DOT's transmit this information to XM and it is sent out to the vehicles with this feature. This is the wife's vehicle so she has to learn all this stuff. I just like to stay with my older vehicles.

Thanks for your concern Matt. I was glad to see that Cadillac Customer assistance was willing to jump in. I was also glad that the Technican took the time to do the proper research before he started taking things apart!

Charlie

No problem. Thanks for the update. Hopefully all your concerns have been resolved. Please PM us if you have any other issues. Have a great weekend!

Matt,

Archived