CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS "V" Hits 220 on New Texas Toll Road

Texas Jim

Texas tuner John Hennessey's work on big Detroit iron has its acolytes and detractors, but the man knows how to show off his wares. To highlight the top-speed performance of some of his big rigs, Texas authorities let him take a full-speed blast down the state's newest toll road outside Austin that opened today, one that features an 85-mph speed limit. It's just long enough for the 1,200-hp, twin-turbo Cadillac CTS-V coupe to hit 220.5 mph.

Hennessey told Jalopnik that the stunt came about after a conversation with state officials and an offer to test out a toll tag system to see if it could accurately report fines at triple-digit speeds. In addition to his 1,200-hp CTS-V coupe, Hennessey also brought a 707-hp Chevy Camaro ZL1 that managed to hit

, with an even better sound. Hennessey says the CTS-V might have done 230 mph had he been granted another mile of tarmac.

And for the record: All of the electronics used by Texas state officials, including their radar guns, worked perfectly during the run. Word to the wise: 85 mph will probably be fast enough.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hennessey-tuned-camaro-zl1-hits-203-mph-texas-141224467.html

Posted Image

I love Texas. I am from Austin, originally, although I haven't been there in a few decades.

Uh, 220 in an 85? You have to speak to the judge about that. Best to bring a good lawyer with you so that they can find you afterward.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

lol. wish I could open up one of mine like that. Always wanted to know what my max speed would be

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I haven't known what the top speed of my car *really* is since the 1960's. Part of it is living in urban areas, where there is really no open highway where it's reasonable to really open it up, part of it is that cars have so much more potential now, but the driving consideration is safety... and, really, who cares?

My ETC is guaranteed to go 150 mph by GM, according to the owner's manual. Car and Driver once timed either an ETC or an STS at 145 mph; I forget which, and I assume that the limited length of their run was the reason that they didn't see 150 mph. But, my car came with H-rated tires and is governed at 125 mph, which I have never hit in 15 years, so I have never approached a dealer about taking off the governor even though I always use W-rated or Z-rated tires.

I guess my car isn't fast enough to "test" the safety monitoring of Texas highways. Oh, well.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Nice! I love Texas also

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have never opened mine up for a long distance to see what the ABSOLUTE TOP SPEED would be.

I have been clocked by radar at up to 93... which was also what my apeedometer was saying...:(:(

I have also checked the speedometer by using the radar coupled speed indicators they sometimes have before you enter a construction zone.

I have only had it up to 144 according to the speedometer... there was a little bit left, but not a whole lot.

150 or a just hair over would be absolute top speed.

Posted Image

In western nebraska they do a sandhills run maybe you've seen it on tv, people come from all around the country to test their cars on closed course actual highways in the sandhills, doing 1/4 mile runs, 1/2 mile and timed races etc. Some of those fancy cars get up to 200mph in the 1/2 mile run.

I wonder how comfortable that cts was at 220mph. I seen a video this week sent out by facebook cadillac of the hennessy cts being dyno tested, it sounded mean.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Bruce and I were in a CTS-V at 155, and it was amazing

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

In western nebraska they do a sandhills run maybe you've seen it on tv, people come from all around the country to test their cars on closed course actual highways in the sandhills, doing 1/4 mile runs, 1/2 mile and timed races etc. Some of those fancy cars get up to 200mph in the 1/2 mile run.

I wonder how comfortable that cts was at 220mph. I seen a video this week sent out by facebook cadillac of the hennessy cts being dyno tested, it sounded mean.

If you go to the link I provided to the full article... there is an incar video of it at 220...

Posted Image

Lessee here... a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires at 220 mph on a CTS-V will last... 45 minutes. Softer rubber ultra-high-performance tires, maybe 30 minutes.

And, don't use tap-on wheel weights to balance the wheels.

Bruce and I were in a CTS-V at 155, and it was amazing

I was in a 1964 Impala station wagon at 155 mph three times, and it was OK except for the last time, when I passed over an imperceptible dip in the road and went airborne... and all three times the spider gear was burned up when I drove the car the next day.

I read a comparo test on the new zl-1 vs Shelby. They burned up the $700 rear tires in 2 days. U would think a few burnouts would be ok? I have 1 of each car in my neighborhood.

Burnouts are OK if they are legal and safe, i.e. in a blocked-off parking lot or other area reserved for such, and if my car and tires are not involved.

Archived