CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Misplaced the keys to the DeVille

jndnaps

I can't believe that somehow we misplaced the keys to the DeVille. They've been lost for a week now. So, after tearing the garage and the house apart looking for them, I guess I gotta get a new set made and a new remote. What a PITA! They must have gotten mixed up in the garbage or recyclables or something. We even looked in the refrigerator. We didn't lose them outside.. They're in the house somewhere or they got thrown away.. Anyways, I guess ebay is the place to go for a replacement remote? Can they be had new from GM? I know how to program them, as long as my cluster is still working.. What about the ignition key, are they expensive to copy since it has the chip in it? Anyone here have a remote for a 96 DeVille? I need #16183016 or #16259819 for remote #1 Or #16196066 or #16259829 for remote #2.. It figures that I have 2 extra remotes for a 98 to 2000 Caddy.. That's just my kinda luck.. :blink:

Thanks.. Happy New Year!

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Checked all through the car too. Last I remember seeing them, they were on the trunk of our 67 Mustang in the garage. We have an old thick moving blanket on the trunk and usually leave the keys there. But the wife also puts garbage or recyclables and papers and stuff there too. I'm thinking they somehow got mixed up in the junk and ended up trashed. I let the wife use the car and all kinds of crap happens.. We looked everywhere.. We noticed them missing the next morning so they really can't be far. I bet we picked them up and put them somewhere. Can't tell you how many times one of us put something where it doesn't belong. Like put a bottle of water in the cabinet instead of the refrigerator. We usually catch ourselves before we actually do that though. I'd like us to go get hypnotized. They're in this darn house somewhere. I just need to get a #2 remote for my spare keys for now.. :blink:

Checked all through the car too. Last I remember seeing them, they were on the trunk of our 67 Mustang in the garage. We have an old thick moving blanket on the trunk and usually leave the keys there. But the wife also puts garbage or recyclables and papers and stuff there too. I'm thinking they somehow got mixed up in the junk and ended up trashed. I let the wife use the car and all kinds of crap happens.. We looked everywhere.. We noticed them missing the next morning so they really can't be far. I bet we picked them up and put them somewhere. Can't tell you how many times one of us put something where it doesn't belong. Like put a bottle of water in the cabinet instead of the refrigerator. We usually catch ourselves before we actually do that though. I'd like us to go get hypnotized. They're in this darn house somewhere. I just need to get a #2 remote for my spare keys for now.. :blink:

Order several sets of keys, hide them somewhere and NEVER tell your wife about them! :) :) :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Order several sets of keys, hide them somewhere and NEVER tell your wife about them! :) :) :)

Guess I need to. I never lost a set of keys in my life. She's always losing something or locking them in the car..

Mike, AKA BodybyFisher, Do you have your old remotes laying around from your 96 still? 4 Sale?

I do believe I have an extra #1 remote laying around. I own a 96 and a 97. I have like 6 remotes layig around between th 2, lol, same remotes.

I have misplaced things before and I go absolutely insane and it seems every time I replace the lost item it mysteriously reappears

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I had a similar problem with my STS except I bought the car without any keys.

The problem with not having a key for the car is that the tumbler could have been changed.

If you are lucky, our "friends" at the stealership will be able to tell what VATS resistance pellet and the cut of the key that you will need.

If you are not able to get the resistance value and or key cut from the dealership, you are as unfortunate as me, and you will need to pull your steering column apart, bring the tumbler to a locksmith and have a non vats key made.

Then you can try the resistor trick by splicing the 15 different resistor values into the VATS wires running down your column until or if one of them works.

If it works and you find the resistor value you need, bring your non vats key back to the locksmith and tell them the value of vats key that you need.

Shouldn't cost more than $20.

If you have no success with the resistor trick you will have to buy a VATS bypass module.

I recommend buying one from newrockies.ca

They aren't cheap but you will not have the problems that the cheap ebay bypasses can give you.

Hope that can be of some help to you!

I do believe I have an extra #1 remote laying around. I own a 96 and a 97. I have like 6 remotes layig around between th 2, lol, same remotes.

I have misplaced things before and I go absolutely insane and it seems every time I replace the lost item it mysteriously reappears

Wanna let one go really really cheap? Figures I have 2 extras for a 98-00. I got my eye on a couple on ebay that have no bids yet. They're starting at $14.99 and free shipping.

I had a similar problem with my STS except I bought the car without any keys.

The problem with not having a key for the car is that the tumbler could have been changed.

If you are lucky, our "friends" at the stealership will be able to tell what VATS resistance pellet and the cut of the key that you will need.

If you are not able to get the resistance value and or key cut from the dealership, you are as unfortunate as me, and you will need to pull your steering column apart, bring the tumbler to a locksmith and have a non vats key made.

Then you can try the resistor trick by splicing the 15 different resistor values into the VATS wires running down your column until or if one of them works.

If it works and you find the resistor value you need, bring your non vats key back to the locksmith and tell them the value of vats key that you need.

Shouldn't cost more than $20.

If you have no success with the resistor trick you will have to buy a VATS bypass module.

I recommend buying one from newrockies.ca

They aren't cheap but you will not have the problems that the cheap ebay bypasses can give you.

Hope that can be of some help to you!

Well I have a spare set, but no remote. I should be able to go to the dealer and get them cut. Just wonder what they'd charge for the ignition key.. We lost the gold set. :wipetears LOL..

I will look for my old remote from my 96, if I come across it, I can send it to you. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

A locksmith will copy a key much cheaper than the dealer.

He'd have to be a helluva locksmith to copy a key that is MISSING! ;)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yes he would be, but in the last post he said:

Well I have a spare set, but no remote. I should be able to go to the dealer and get them cut. Just wonder what they'd charge for the ignition key.. We lost the gold set.

Oops, my bad!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

A locksmith will copy a key much cheaper than the dealer.

He'd have to be a helluva locksmith to copy a key that is MISSING! ;)

A good locksmith should be able to copy the key if you have the remote. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I will look for my old remote from my 96, if I come across it, I can send it to you. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

That would be cool, let me know. I may bid on one on ebay Sunday if I remember. :blink:

That would be cool, let me know. I may bid on one on ebay Sunday if I remember. :blink:

Do you have CRS like I do? ^_^

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm gettin' old too. I actually had to look that one up on acronymfinder.com. I'm guessing it's either the first or the last.

post-416-12945273013_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm gettin' old too. I actually had to look that one up on acronymfinder.com. I'm guessing it's either the first or the last.

Yep...the last one...:)

Posted Image

Well I remembered, just a half hour to late.. :blink:

Well I remembered, just a half hour to late.. :blink:

I do that every once in a while... :)

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Never did find the keys here.. Anyone have a keyfob for the 96 they wanna give away very cheap?

I believe I have a pod from a 97 Seville, a 95 seville and some other year caddys (I've had 10 Cadillacs and for some reason always end up not giving the second set away. No, I'm not evil, just forgetful). Will those work? I'll do some searching tonight, but usually I keep them all in one spot. I'll send you them for free if they'll work.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

That would be great! I'm pretty sure the Seville remote would work. the numbers on the back would need to read either #16183016 or #16259819 for remote #1 Or #16196066 or #16259829 for remote #2. If you don't want anything for them, that's great, but, I will definitely reimburse your shipping for sure. Just include your name and mailing address and I'll send that to you. Greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

That would be great! I'm pretty sure the Seville remote would work. the numbers on the back would need to read either #16183016 or #16259819 for remote #1 Or #16196066 or #16259829 for remote #2. If you don't want anything for them, that's great, but, I will definitely reimburse your shipping for sure. Just include your name and mailing address and I'll send that to you. Greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Nah, don't worry about it. I'll check the numbers when I get home tonight and see what I've got. I'll let you know a little later.

-Dusty-

Shoot, as of right now, all I can find is my 95 Seville key fob. The part number is 10269729. I'm starting to wonder if I let the second set of keys go with my 97. I'm going to keep looking and I'll update a bit later.

-Dusty-

Archived