CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is there a new fuel coming in 4 years,

Wildcard

ok here we go lol. my mother wanted me to look around to see if what she was told is true. here it is. a friend of hers told her that she had found some news on the net that states that in about 4 years time there will be a new fuel on the market that makes all cars pre 2002 unusable. im thinking "from what she says" its supose to be some new law that forces gas stations to use only this new type of fuel. she was told its some form of alcohol based fuel. but im thinking maybe she is talking about ethanol. i dont know its the first iv heard of any such thing. sounds like BS to me as i cant see how all none 2002 cars could be effected ect while so many post 2002 cars are directly based on older moddles. like a 2003 deville is basicly the same as a 2000. but any way have any of you guys heard any thing like this?Thx for any replies.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard nothing of the sort.

My downstairs neighbor has a 2006 Kia Spectra...it runs on gas.

Also, I don't think they COULD do something like this unless they planned on putting something in the works to buy new cars for people who can't afford them on their own. I may have a decent income, but I know I can't afford a car payment, that's why I own a 94. I think banning gasoline engines, or making them "unusable" is at this point impossible. I could definitely see it happening in another hundred years or so, but not in our lifetime.

big4870885.jpg

I've heard nothing of the sort.

My downstairs neighbor has a 2006 Kia Spectra...it runs on gas.

Also, I don't think they COULD do something like this unless they planned on putting something in the works to buy new cars for people who can't afford them on their own. I may have a decent income, but I know I can't afford a car payment, that's why I own a 94. I think banning gasoline engines, or making them "unusable" is at this point impossible. I could definitely see it happening in another hundred years or so, but not in our lifetime.

I wonder if this person was referring to E85 or Flex fuel

If you look around on some cars badges, and on the gascap of some cars, you will see this yellow logo.

I think this kinda fizzled out. - seems using corn for food is more important and economically feasible than using it for fuel. there have been talks of using other plant based sources, but none have panned out. maybe with the price of fuel increasing, it'l get attention again.

BTW, what makes a Flex fuel vehicle is a fuel delivery system that will not rust/corrode from 15% ethanol, and a sensor that in real time automatically adjusts the delivery of fuel based on the % of ethanol

I know there ARE new fuels in the works, but by no means anything that will make gasoline engines obsolete any time soon.

big4870885.jpg

Here is an odd story on fuels for you

During the war, my grandmother saw someone put a pill the size of a silver dollar into a gas tank, fill it with water, then start the engine. I questioned her about it over and over. Till the day she died, she swore that 'big oil' suppressed this 'invention' in their own interests. My grandmother was not one to exaggerate or to be too emotional, I would describe her as methodical. Was she duped? My new question would be how far did it drive?, how well?, etc

I find it difficult to believe the story, it is similar to the 75 per gallon carburator we used to hear about..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

During the war, my grandmother saw someone put a pill the size of a silver dollar into a gas tank, fill it with water, then start the engine. I questioned her about it over and over. Till the day she died, she swore that 'big oil' suppressed this 'invention' in their own interests. My grandmother was not one to exaggerate or to be too emotional, I would describe her as methodical. Was she duped? My new question would be how far did it drive?, how well?, etc

I find it difficult to believe the story, it is similar to the 75 per gallon carburator we used to hear about..

Someone close to me has created an engine that can sustain itself and run on air. Needless to say, said person is in the works of getting a patent on it, and I can't delve into details here, but I will say that it generates enough horsepower to provide electricity for a small house.

I believe that if word gets out about this engine, that either national grid (our local power company) or some gas company will want to buy the patent for their own financial interests. So I do believe that things like that are possible.

big4870885.jpg

All myths. Heard them all before. The 75 MPG carb was bought and buried by big oil. The other story was the guy who invented it vanished and was never heard from again. Same thing with the magic pills. The "new fuel" is just another one to add to the list.

ok thanks for the replies every one. Yea this sounded ether like made up BS or the friend of my mothers just did not understand what she read. it was prob something to do with E85. i to cant see how they can so quickly phase out normal gas using cars. Also the myth of the carbarotor. my step father says he new one of the guys or the guy who came up with it. he lived some ware in south east florida. i am VERY sceptical but i have to say my stepfather really is not the type of person to make stuff up. very serious minded person. But it was a long time ago i heard him tell this story so i dont know the details.

Also the myth of the carbarotor. my step father says he new one of the guys or the guy who came up with it. he lived some ware in south east florida. i am VERY sceptical but i have to say my stepfather really is not the type of person to make stuff up. very serious minded person. But it was a long time ago i heard him tell this story so i dont know the details.

The carburetor story is pure BS... I heard that story when I was a kid also. It can be proven impossible by simple physics.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I believe mythbusters "mythed" the 75mpg carb. They bought one online or from some inventor. It looked really fancy and actually ran but from what i remember didnt do any different from the stock carb. They used a measured amount of fuel in a tube that fed the original carb and the gimmick carb.

If they could come up with something that can make a small explosion in the combustion chamber that is less in quantity from gas and cheaper that would be the only way to save the gasoline engine.

Though I think there is enough oil on earth for hundreds and hundreds of years. Plenty to use until we DO come up with a better mode of propulsion. We have only had cars for 100 some years, if we had only enough oil to last us 200 years i think we would be ok. Alot can happen between now and then.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I do hope they come up with a new fuel to help save the environment.

I see you are new here. Hi and :welcomesmiley:

big4870885.jpg

My Northstar runs on air... with a very small amount of gasoline added. The guru once said an internal combustion engine is just an "air pump."

Air is 20% nitrogen and 80% oxygen (approximately). Nitrogen is inert and cannot be burned (oxidized). It's difficult for me to understand how you can oxidize oxygen.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My Northstar runs on air... with a very small amount of gasoline added. The guru once said an internal combustion engine is just an "air pump."

Air is 20% nitrogen and 80% oxygen (approximately). Nitrogen is inert and cannot be burned (oxidized). It's difficult for me to understand how you can oxidize oxygen.

Regards,

Warren

I'm unsure if this was posted in any regard to my previous post, but in the event that it was:

The engine I was referring to does not "burn" air. It isn't a combustion engine, though it does work in a similar fashion. I really wish I could describe it in detail, but I'm pretty sure I would get reamed out pretty badly if I did, as it is not yet patented. Once the patent goes through, I will be GLAD to share details because I am quite fascinated and amazed with it myself.

big4870885.jpg

Regards,

Warren

I'm unsure if this was posted in any regard to my previous post, but in the event that it was:

The engine I was referring to does not "burn" air. It isn't a combustion engine, though it does work in a similar fashion. I really wish I could describe it in detail, but I'm pretty sure I would get reamed out pretty badly if I did, as it is not yet patented. Once the patent goes through, I will be GLAD to share details because I am quite fascinated and amazed with it myself.

Mea culpa. I inferred what you did not imply.

Extracting energy from air naturally brought forth visions of combustion. It will be very interesting to hear a follow-up on this after the patent application is filed.

BTW... a little bit late, but

:welcomesmiley:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If I recall correctly, there was someone who demonstrated a fuel that ran in regular cars in the model T era that meant filling the tank mostly with water with a liquid green additive. The "inventor" died, and it drove Henry Ford nuts. He paid people to reverse engineer a solution from his descriptions, which his lackeys were able to do. As it turned out, the combination would run an engine, but it was corrosive and likely to do other engine damage fairly quickly. Further, it cost more than gas per tankful, even though the tank was mostly full of water. It could've never been made a practical fuel for engines. I can't remember what it was, it was back in high school when I heard about that. I think that the green stuff was something really toxic, too.

There is a 70mpg carburetor of sorts. It's called fuel injection. It was a huge improvement, which continues with direct injection, but it didn't make 70mpg out of regular cars. Even still, your car starts when it's 6 degrees, makes twice the power, uses half the gas, and makes a tenth of the pollution compared to cars from 30 years ago.

If there were a secret to that, you could bet that there's no way that one of the manufacturers wouldn't use it just to spite the others.

With what fuel grade do you run your Northstars? I have tried all kinds, best was the octane numer 95, the lowest grade I can get at my gas station :)

Actually the gallon is about 6 US Dollar :(

95 is the lowest in your area and its 6 bucks? if you dont mind me asking what part of the world do you live in?

I run the highest grade in my area which is 93. i know with the 2000 and up N*'s you can run low grade 87 but for the little extra $ i would rather have the high grade. I have heard with high grade you get more power and better MPG and its better for the motor. i have not tested the low grade vs high grade in my deville yet but i plan to. I know that using 93oct i get 32 to 33 mpg at 55mph with AC on. at 65 mph i get 29 to 30 mpg with ac on. with AC off it jumps up 1 or 2 MPG at any speed iv tested.my averge MPG is always between 22 and 23 mpg. but i dont live in a city with traffic ect. most of my driving is hwy or light traffic.

With what fuel grade do you run your Northstars? I have tried all kinds, best was the octane numer 95, the lowest grade I can get at my gas station :)

Actually the gallon is about 6 US Dollar :(

95 is the lowest in your area and its 6 bucks? if you dont mind me asking what part of the world do you live in?

I run the highest grade in my area which is 93. i know with the 2000 and up N*'s you can run low grade 87 but for the little extra $ i would rather have the high grade. I have heard with high grade you get more power and better MPG and its better for the motor. i have not tested the low grade vs high grade in my deville yet but i plan to. I know that using 93oct i get 32 to 33 mpg at 55mph with AC on. at 65 mph i get 29 to 30 mpg with ac on. with AC off it jumps up 1 or 2 MPG at any speed iv tested.my averge MPG is always between 22 and 23 mpg. but i dont live in a city with traffic ect. most of my driving is hwy or light traffic.

He lives in Austria I believe.

I only run 93 in mine, never anything less. 93 is the highest I have ever seen around here. I think it's $3.19 a gallon or so right now.

big4870885.jpg

Carla, you can run 87 and never know the difference.

I'm sure I could, but it's a 1994 and according to the records I have for the car it has always been run with 93 so why change it now? It doesn't have any sign of a knock or tick in it anywhere, and I'd prefer to do whatever is within my power to keep it that way. Why screw with a system that's been working well for 16 years? It may cost a little more, but as long as I can afford it, I will maintain it that way. Not because I feel like I have to, but because I choose to. I might try 87 in it the next time I put gas in it, just to see if it does make a difference, but for my routine driving I prefer to stick with the 93. That's just my choice.

big4870885.jpg

I always run 93 in mine, per the recommendation to only use premium. It only requires 91, but it would requre a lot of trouble and wouldn't really save any money to manually mix down to 91 at fillup.

IIRC, octane ratings are calculated differently in Europe than here, and 95 there is probably the same as 93 here. The US octane ratings are an average of two measurements, but I think that in Europe the research octane "RON" is the only rating used.

I've tried 91oct, 95oct, 98oct and 100oct... best fuel economy was with the 95oct. I have to drive every week the same route (120 miles one way) and so I could easily test it. Always the whole route with 90mph or on the mountain with 60mph with cruise control switched on.

More than 95oct was a waste of money... (my bmw requires 98 and when I use 95oct the fuel consumption is worse!)

If there is nothing changed on the export versions of the Seville, it has even a litte bit more power if you use a high fuel grade, because the 4,6 Northstar has offically 305hp in Europe and "only" 300hp when I see a data sheet from the US. I think the engine is the same, maybe the export ones use another kind of catalytic converter or it's only the fuel grade?

I'm just afraid because since 15 years 89oct isn't available and now many gas stations don't have 91oct any more (91 and 95 are the same price if you can get 91). If I drive an "older" american car maybe I soon will not get the proper fuel grade up here where I live :(

The horsepower ratings are different because the DIN and SAE horsepower ratings are different. When the first BMW 750iL came out in the US, magazines diligently converted its 300hp rating from the Euro models to 296 when they published the first tests. BMW rated the engine at 300 SAE hp when it officially came out. The engines often test enough higher to cover the difference, and there is a % of acceptable deviation to allow any engine really to be rated at a round number.

The hp difference is due to the difference between SAE and DIN hp. When the BMW V12 came out in 1988 or so, most US magazines quoted hp of 296, which was a proper conversion of the DIN 300. BMW quoted a power figure of 300 when it made its US debut. They are allowed a little variance, and many manufacturers quote a nice round number and let that fudge factor cover the difference.

Oops sorry about the double post. I didn't see that the first one went through and I typed it again.

Archived