CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How Do you lift your car?

I have an old set of metal ramps that I've used forever.....

Those look like they would work, though....

I like ramps for oil changes...

Ramps in general work a little better with front wheel drive, or all wheel drive... sometimes a rear drive car will "push" the ramps as you drive forward, instead of rolling up the ramp... get the ramps firmly seated as tight as you can under the front wheels before pulling forward... and make sure they're straight...

I have these ramps, they are strong, the higher the capacity the better..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I used them for years to do routine maintenance on a variety of cars.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Dana, I have two sets of Rhino Ramps and they work very well ...

I used them last week on my fat cat when I was working on my muffler system ...

I prefer a floor jack and a pair of 5 ton jack stands.

The beauty of using jack stands is that they are not in the way if you want to slide in behind the front wheel. Also, the stands are a must have if you are going to do wheel removal for brake work.

Britt

You can get those lift things in your garage. I think they're a grand or two, and that's way down the road for me. I use a 3 ton sears floor jack, 19" lift height. It was 80 or 90 at Sears.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

You can get those lift things in your garage. I think they're a grand or two, and that's way down the road for me. I use a 3 ton sears floor jack, 19" lift height. It was 80 or 90 at Sears.

im going to look into that

The lift or the jack? They have a couple of models, the jack I have also comes in a set with 2 jack stands and a creeper for around 120. If you need stands too that might be the way to go.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

The lift or the jack? They have a couple of models, the jack I have also comes in a set with 2 jack stands and a creeper for around 120. If you need stands too that might be the way to go.

I want to ge t the best clearence that i can get. I tihnk i saw the set that you are talking about on sears web site. i do have two stands already i could use the creeper(never used one might help some).

I use a sears floor jack and a pair of jack stands. Jack at the middle of the crossmember and put the stands at either side.

The jack won't go as high as the stands will. If I need more height, I get it on the stands where the jack maxes out, then put pieces of 2x6 under the jack and raise it progressively.

I use a sears floor jack and a pair of jack stands. Jack at the middle of the crossmember and put the stands at either side.

The jack won't go as high as the stands will. If I need more height, I get it on the stands where the jack maxes out, then put pieces of 2x6 under the jack and raise it progressively.

GOOD TRICK

Here's a selection of jacks carried by Summitt:

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have a set of metal ramps that I've had for many years. They are braced from the back to the front so they can't collapse. I like them for oil changes due to the clearance they provide (both in height and not having jack stands in the way of the creeper) but two things I don't like about them are 1) I can't drive up on them with the Sevilles as the ramps will interfere with the lower portion of the bumper. 2) If I don't block them against a wall with long 2x4's, they move/slip when I drive up on them with the Brougham. I've resorted to using a hydraulic jack on the engine cradles to raise the car and then slide the ramps under the tires.

The Rhino ramps look nice as they are solid but they look like they are somewhat shorter in height vs. the metal ramps. It would be interesting to know what type of plastic they are made of (my guess would be glass reinforces nylon) and if they had UV inhibitors in the plastic resin to prevent the plastic from degrading over time and exposure to UV light.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE... I have done some serious RV.ing all across the US...

and, if your front air dam, or whatever is to low, before you can use ramps ...

then you can make a kind of a step or steps, out of plywood or thicker lumber,

leading up to the ramps ...

it works in the wilds, as well as in the garage ...

Lane

I do not care for ramps as they are a pain to get most cars on (not enough clearance). As well, almost everything requires a wheel to be removed anymore it seems. Just dont do enough oil changes by themselves to justify having ONLY ramps. With oil changes its pretty easy anyways, you can jack just one side up with a jack.. no real need to do both sides most of the time.

I needed to get low profile ramps for my Corvette and they worked great with my 91 Seville and 96 Deville. Most are low profile today to clear low body work

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

KHE... I have done some serious RV.ing all across the US...

and, if your front air dam, or whatever is to low, before you can use ramps ...

then you can make a kind of a step or steps, out of plywood or thicker lumber,

leading up to the ramps ...

it works in the wilds, as well as in the garage ...

Lane

I needed to get low profile ramps for my Corvette and they worked great with my 91 Seville and 96 Deville. Most are low profile today to clear low body work

I've used a 2x6 as a lead in ramp in order to clear the bumper but found it easier to just jack up the car by the engine cradle and slide the ramps under the tires.

I've also seen ramps that have a removable lead in ramp. If/when I need to replace my 20 year old ramps, I'll look into those.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was changing the motor supports on a 427 in a 1969 station wagon on ramps once. I had the engine supported by the oil pan -- which was very much up to the task on that motor -- on a piece of plywood with a small hydraulic jack on 4X4's across an extra wheel. The aircraft bolt from the right motor support fell through the hub hole in the wheel.

Think about that. Aircraft bolt, a non-standard part. 8:00 PM on a Tuesday night, needed to drive the car to work in the morning. Heck, needed to go vote before 9:00 PM. Couldn't lower jack with no motor support. Couldn't move wheel with weight of motor on it. Couldn't get to the ground with my hand through the hub hole.

I got the bolt out with a magnet, but I didn't make it before the polls closed.

Now, if I had just been on jack stands, the bolt would have simply fallen on the driveway and I would have no story to tell today. And, I would have voted that year.

Archived