CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Taking a Little Trip Next Week... About 4000 Miles

Texas Jim

:nopicssmiley:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Not much to report today. Just driving.

Got off to a real late start. Didn't get on the freeway till 10:30 am.

We are now in S. Central Tennessee.

Didn't drive very fast today. Tried to keep it below 85. Trying to take it easy and relax some.

586 miles today. 22.7 MPG. Average Speed 72.3.

There were a TON of cops out today. Last weekend of the month. Got to get the quota made by Monday.

The radar detector paid for itself more than once today. :D:D

Going to Shiloh Battlefield Park tomorrow. Then over to Chatanooga..then eventually thru the Smokies to Charleston S. Carolina. Won't make many miles... but thats ok.

Will report back tomorrow.

Posted Image

Hey enjoy and have a safe trip.

I always find it amusing as to what some people think is relaxing, Me, the pedestrian that I am, 65 to 70 is relaxing, :lol:, Jim you find 84 relaxing :blink: , I suppose its all relative... :lol: Does you wife find 84 relaxing also? :lol: 72 mph average speed is trucking, I assume that you at least had one pit stop... You be careful now ya hear.. Relax and Enjoy. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hey enjoy and have a safe trip.

I always find it amusing as to what some people think is relaxing, Me, the pedestrian that I am, 65 to 70 is relaxing, :lol: , Jim you find 84 relaxing :blink: , I suppose its all relative... :lol: Does you wife find 84 relaxing also? :lol: 72 mph average speed is trucking, I assume that you at least had one pit stop... You be careful now ya hear.. Relax and Enjoy. Mike

Actually had four pit stops ... if I remember correctly.

Running 65 for a long period of time would drive me totally nuts. :lol::lol::lol:

I can do that if I am in the mountains and just driving around looking at STUFF... but getting from POINT A to POINT B.. I just GO. :lol::lol:

If you want REAL GOOD Chinese food...you WON"T get it at Arkadelphia Arkansas. :lol:

Stopped there to eat a late lunch and fill up with gas again.

Barely edible.

Gas $4.29

Darling Wife never says much about the speed till it is around 100.

Couple of years ago... heading to California... was out in the middle of West Texas... THREE AM... no traffic ... she has the seat reclined and is asleep.

She wakes up... looks at the speedometer... it is on 110...she asks ... "Do you know how fast you are going?" I answer "yes" she says "OK" and goes right back to sleep. :lol: After almost 40 years of being married to me...reckon it don't bother her too much. :lol:

Posted Image

I am told Little Rock has some quite nice restaurants. On the road I am a big believer in major chains though, simply because the food is of a known quality and content. Don't want anything that disagrees.

Glad the trip is going well. Next time we're sending a camera with.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Only made 250 miles today. We did get some real good mileage. 23.3 mpg and this was with several WOT's to pass trucks on two lane roads. I love the sound of the N* at 6500 RPM.

The last two tanks DID NOT have ethanol in it. I like that. This particular DTS runs a good bit better on fuel WITHOUT ethanol. It is noticeable a little on the performance and quite a bit on the fuel mileage. The tank I got for tomorrow DOES have the 10% ethanol.

Went to the Shiloh Battlefield today. Darling Wife is a big history buff.

Kinda surprised me, in that I really enjoyed it. There was a 25 minute movie about the battle. It was one of the turning points in the Civil War. I decided to buy an overpriced CD for a driving tour of the battlefield.

I am glad I did. THAT was a good choice. It plays for over an hour and a half and made everything a lot more understandable and a lot more real.

We have been to Gettysburg... and it was kinda like ....OK... there was a bunch of guys over HERE.... shooting at a bunch of guys over THERE. OK... We saw it, now lets go on to somewhere else.

This was SO MUCH better.

I remembered to get my GOLDEN AGE PASSPORT today. Now I can go to any National Park in the country and get in FREE. :D:D:D

Thats one tiny benifit of getting real old... sometimes you get a discount on things. :D

After leaving there, we ambled across country and in Lawrenceburg TN, stopped at a little Bar-B-Que place and got the Jumbo Pulled Pork sandwiches. It was GREAT. Nice and tender. Good flavor. Neither of us had ever eaten pulled pork Bar-B-Que before.

We are now in Chatanooga. We stopped a little early, because I wasn't sure how plentiful motels would be heading east thru the Smoky Mountains. Didn't want to get caught out in the middle of nowhere and not have a place to sleep. :D The newer Cadillacs are nowhere near as big as the old ones and I would have trouble sleeping in the back seat. :D

It is somewhere close to 500 miles from here to Charleston S. Carolina. Hope to be there tomorrow evening.

Posted Image

Where are you going to in West Virginia?

Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

As for West Virginia.... just gonna drive around there for a couple of days.

If you are old enough to remember Chuck Berry.... "No particular place to go." :D

Always wanted to see the Appalachians... never seen them. Might as well do it. :D

If either of you are up that way... let me know where and I will try to swing by and say "Howdy."

I am in Summerville S Carolina now. Will be heading out in the morning.

It may be Wednesday morning before I will be there. May go by Kannapolis Virginia tomorrow to see some of the Nascar stuff.

PM me for my cell number or send me yours and I will call.

I have AT&T unlimited calling.

Posted Image

Mick, has nothing on you ...

for, you are a rolling stone, Sir ...

roll on dawg ...

Lane

I am in Wytheville VA. No firm plans for tomorrow except to amble up thru West Virginia.. Probably going up I-77 / I-64 towards Charleston.

Holler at me if you want to meet up for a cup. I can make a detour. :D:D

Posted Image

PM'd with number. I hope Paul T can make it if you decide to trek north for a while!

Quick suggestion, find the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the Appalacians...it really dosen't get any better than that. If you take it up to about Rt. 50, or 250 and head back west, you'll get back to 77. I doubt you'll regret the side trip.

Blue Ridge Parkway is also known as Skyline Drive. You won't be going 100, I'll gaurantee that!

This is great guys, I hope you all get together....

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

PM'd with number. I hope Paul T can make it if you decide to trek north for a while!

I had the pleasure this afternoon, to have a meet and greet with Texas Jim and

Gentleman Jim is a great man, with a great ride ...

He was kind enough to take me for a cruise in his fat cat and I loved his nav. system

and of course, the pleasure of cruising in a cat ... very pretty car and a very good man ...

roll on Texas ...

Lane

Jim, while we were eating our lunch yesterday ,

that you were so kind, as to provide (thank you very much Sir) ...

we talked about WW II , North Africa warfare and the Desert Fox, etc. ...

well, I heard on the news yesterday, that yesterday, was the anniversary of the day

that the tide was turned on Gen. Rommel ...

strange, but true ...

Lane

I hope you are doing well Jim and that you are enjoying your trip, Relax and Enjoy

Texas Jim's word file is too good not to "read" into the thread and the record. Use this link to follow his progress:

Well, it is time to add a little update.

The DTS has been totally flawless as usual.

No problems of any kind, unless you count poor off road / four wheeling ability.

We are now in Middlesboro Kentucky. Going to the Cumberland Gap National Park today.

Tuesday night, we stayed in Wytheville Virginia. Looking over some of the tourist things Darling Wife had picked up in the lobby.... I noticed a "SCENIC BYWAY." I figured what the heck… will check it out tomorrow.

For anyone with Microsoft Streets and Trips.... look at the 52 mile marker on I-77 in Virginia. The road goes to the east and then to the north and then back to the freeway at the 57 mile marker. It shows to be VERY VERY crooked. No big deal, I have power steering.

So…. We head up that way… miss the 52 mile marker and get off at the 57, figuring to just do it backwards and get back on the freeway at the 52 and then continue north.

SO…get off at Bland VA., and start south, down this nice 2 lane paved road. Hwy 656.

It gradually changes to a narrow two lane paved, then to a well maintained narrow gravel road. Still no problem. Go about 5 miles or so and there are 3 or 4 houses. One straight ahead, up on top of the hill, with a couple more off to the left and the GOOD road ends here in kind of a cul-de-sac.

Now it gets interesting. Anyone with any sense would have turned around here, because the “ROAD”, now goes over a cattle guard and is just two ruts in the grass heading back thru a field toward the forest.

Not to be deterred from my adventure, I cross the cattle guard and SLOWLY drive toward the forest about ¼ mile away. The front sensors in the bumpers that tell you that you are too close to something, are going off every few seconds from the waist high grass.

After about two miles or so we come to a small stream. The water is only about six inches deep and MAYBE a foot wide, but there is a pretty steep bank going down to it and a pretty steep one on the other side coming up OUT of the water, but it is not very deep.

Off to the left is a beautiful circular clearing in the trees, about 30 yards wide. Two wild turkeys slowly walk off as we drive up. That, in itself, made the drive worthwhile… Maybe the turkeys were a sign. Seems like they weren’t the only turkeys around right then. There were a couple more in the DTS.

But I digress.

Ease the big ole DTS down the bank of the stream, VERY SLOWLY, just an inch or so at a time. As I feared, the front airdam starts to scrape on the rocks, so thus ends our forward progress. I figure no problem, I will just turn around.

That’s what I get for FIGURING.

What I hadn’t really paid any attention to was, the left side of the road was lined with big rocks about the size of basketballs, about two feet or less apart, and with a pretty steep slope. The right side of the road was a mountain.

We had to back up at least a quarter mile or more to find a place with enough room to turn around. Now the REAR sensors are complaining from the waist high grass.

Finally find a place…. Get out, move some of the big rocks, see saw around and FINALLY get it headed back the other way. Get out again, put the rocks back the way they were, and head back to town.

As I crossed the cattle guard again, getting back on the better road, there was a road sign naming the road. I forget the exact name, but it was SOMETHING TURNPIKE.

I berated myself immensely, later, for not taking pictures of the DTS, nose down, in the stream and a picture of the sign, naming that TRAIL a TURNPIKE.

THEN I find out the SCENIC BYWAY was on the OTHER side of the interstate. We drive it but after the first drive… this one was anti-climactic.

The rest of the day was pretty un-eventful. Thank goodness.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:lol:, I love it. Jim its a shame that I didnt go to Charlottesville, Virginia this week as I had planned, you were very close. We could have met, darn. There is a beautiful ride that starts in Charlottesville going north called the Skyline Drive, it runs 105 miles through the Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Mountains. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driv...yline-drive.htm I was on it as a kid, there is a motel at the top. The speed limit is only 35, so maybe that wouldn't have been good, :lol:

It looks like your next car will need to have ALL WHEEL DRIVE! Relax and Enjoy

Archived