CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How high are gas prices going to go?

daniel812

And we get it IN THE END. :o

It's not that bad. You just need to "get it." A lesson well learned. It averages out. In the END. :D

Hope your "END" is okay! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Fuel prices were steadily rising last year, Our Prices from the manufacturer were rising faster than the street prices were, and after credit card fees we were making pennies on the sale. Whe the prices started decreasing, many stations drop prices slower in order to recoup the lost money when the prices rose. Gas stations are not the ones who make the big bucks, its the suppliers.

When the Fuel prices were steadily rising last year, Our Prices from the manufacturer were rising faster than the street prices were, and after credit card fees we were making pennies on the sale. Whe the prices started decreasing, many stations drop prices slower in order to recoup the lost money when the prices rose. Gas stations are not the ones who make the big bucks, its the suppliers.

"Suppliers" Is a pretty general term. From my point of view, when fuel (crude) prices were steadily rising earlier this year, street prices were not rising fast enough to cover my cost of refining, transportation, and marketing. This led to reduced margins (refinery margins) so that I was losing money on every barrel of crude that I refined! This was a fact in the Gulf Coast market for most of the summer. I need to say at this point that I DID NOT have credit card fees to contend with.

Yes, things have evenend out a little, and margins have returned to normal. However, this is NOT reason enough to stop some from considering getting out of the INTEGRATED oil company business. Exploration and production might make money, but refining and transportation.......maybe not so much.

I don't hear anybody talking about taxing the excess profits of exploration and production, in fact how could they?

This is just a look from a different perspective, It's not always the oil companies making the money, but it's almost always the cost of raw material. The crude, the Saudi's, and the Hugo Chaves's, the speculators with different kind of house to flip.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Oil futures (September delivery) are trading at less than $120 per barrel today. That is down from ~~$145 less than one month ago.

Gasoline (87 octane) is around $3.85 in this part of GA. I'm expecting less than $3.00 after Labor Day.

Oil traded at less than $114 per barrel today. For those in Loma Linda, that is a $6.00 decline in 10 days.

Gold is trading at less than $800 per ounce compared to the high $9xx figure of not too long ago.

And the $US is showing some gains against the Euro and other currencies.

Just a few of the signs that we are getting this ship headed in the right direction.

Oil is trading at less than $106 and 87 octane fuel can be had for $3.40 today. The pendulum swings.

Oil is trading at less than $97 today. In the immediate aftermath of Ike, while part of the Gulf coast oil production-refining infrastructure remains shut down, 87 octane is going for $3.55 most places with reports of some locations as high as $4.15.

Oil traded at less than $80 at one point today.

And thanks to the Hugo/Ike spike, 87 octane is $3.75 while other grades remain in short supply with no prices posted.

But recent global events have conspired to make the price of gasoline less important than it was back in August.

Oil traded under $80 for a short period last week and the last price I saw on Friday was $81.xx.

The fuel supply shortage that affected GA, TN, and the Carolinas is history; 87 octane can be had in and around Atlanta for $2.50.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

There appears to be all kinds of hidden fees related to gasoline. Whether one wants to count the military presence in Iraq or not, it still creates a boomerang effect in that it limits what money can be spent in our own country on our own infrastructure.

I'm not taking a position on the war as an arguments exist for both points of view. However, while we worry about the price per gallon of gas, it appears that a ton of stock market wealth has been lost in the past 2 weeks. Does that relate to gasoline?

In a way it may because we really don't have a choice as to what we use to move around ourselves and things we make or buy. My point is no matter what the price of gasoline is, the fact that there really are no realistic alternatives at the moment makes gasoline expensive at any price.

The saddest irony for me is that the higher the price of gasoline, the faster other ways to move around will be created.

So we kind of lose either way. If the price of gasoline stays low, we go back to our same old habits that probably are not going to work for more than another decade or so. If gasoline stays expensive, it really impacts people on a day to day basis now.

I got premium yesterday for $2.45 a gallon, and my friend with a 2004 Monte Carlo said she got premium for $2.26 a gallon.

This is freakin' amazing :yupi3ti: but I wonder how long it'll last.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

lol, we really are addicted to oil. Anybody notice the awful catch-22 here? If gas prices are high, we are all miserable and the economy tanks.

If Gas prices drop, we all get happy and consume, consume, consume. It seems to me that there is no happy medium where gas is what it is, but there is a "mad dash" to come up with other ways to run our cars efficiently.

I heard an interesting take on gas prices. Oil producing companies use the sale of oil to balance their budgets. In general, many countries fall in the 70 dollar to 100 dollar a barrel range to balance their countries budgets by selling oil.

Was still 3.25 here this morning.

Bruce,

Come over FT. Worth way.... :D

Regular at the Shell station, just down from my house is $2.49.

Premium is $2.79

Down in Burleson.. just s of Ft. Worth... refular is $2.25.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
Oil futures (September delivery) are trading at less than $120 per barrel today. That is down from ~~$145 less than one month ago.

Gasoline (87 octane) is around $3.85 in this part of GA. I'm expecting less than $3.00 after Labor Day.

Oil traded at less than $114 per barrel today. For those in Loma Linda, that is a $6.00 decline in 10 days.

Gold is trading at less than $800 per ounce compared to the high $9xx figure of not too long ago.

And the $US is showing some gains against the Euro and other currencies.

Just a few of the signs that we are getting this ship headed in the right direction.

Oil is trading at less than $106 and 87 octane fuel can be had for $3.40 today. The pendulum swings.

Oil is trading at less than $97 today. In the immediate aftermath of Ike, while part of the Gulf coast oil production-refining infrastructure remains shut down, 87 octane is going for $3.55 most places with reports of some locations as high as $4.15.

Oil traded at less than $80 at one point today.

And thanks to the Hugo/Ike spike, 87 octane is $3.75 while other grades remain in short supply with no prices posted.

But recent global events have conspired to make the price of gasoline less important than it was back in August.

Oil traded under $80 for a short period last week and the last price I saw on Friday was $81.xx.

The fuel supply shortage that affected GA, TN, and the Carolinas is history; 87 octane can be had in and around Atlanta for $2.50.

Oil traded last week at less than $68 per barrel.

Price of 87 octane is less than $2.00 in the Atlanta area with reports of less than $1.80 in some suburbs.

Leaves me wondering when the trucking and airline industries will abandon their fuel surcharges.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I might soon start to think about joining a cooperative and pre-purchasing a thousand or more gallons.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Northern New Jersey it's $2.15 ~ $2.19 but doesn't appear to be moving downward.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Gas is $1.74 and falling here in Columbus OH. Its kinda funny how gas prices just all of sudden started dropping when the value of the american dollar is still terrible. Makes you wonder whats really the cause of high gas prices.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

$1.74?? Wow :o

Regular unleaded is $1.90 here in Minnesota.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

In regards to the original question, I would not stop driving no matter how high the gasoline prices go. I just pass along the costs to my customers. It sux, but I don't have a choice.

The same is true for the tax/social security/health insurance increases that I'll surely see over the next two to four years. Those costs will just get passed right along.

Gasoline in Wyoming ranges from $1.74 to $2.49 per gallon. It's all over the map.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

My local Shell station has stubbornly kept the price of V-Power (Tier 2) at $3.01 for the last week while the Sunoco station across the street has dropped hi-test to $2.89. Yesterday they gave it up and dropped V-Power to $2.91. Time to fill up. :)

EDIT: Just did that.

Posted Image

Archived