CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Protecting the car

I'm thinking of buying a car cover to protect it from neigbours 5 cats. I really like animals but these ones are the meanest ones I've ever met.

If a throw water on them they just sit there and watch me, they don't even run when they see our dog coming..

It's no use talking to the neigbours about it, everyone complaints and they don't care at all.

After throwing water on them they come back and climbs up on the car roof when I'm asleep, leaving scratches and stains all over.

Any car-cover you wold recommend?

If not I might just kill the cats :angry:

There are "electric fence" type car protectors that may be helpful. If the cat jumps up on the hood they won't work but if they lean back and put a paw on the wheel or fender, they will get a harmless shock. You can rig one from a commercial electric fence designed to limit movements of pets or small animals. Or, you can just use that to fence off your driveway, stepping over it yourself -- unless you have small children within toddling distance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Considering that 1. They are mean, 2. Other neighbors have complained, 3. The owners don't care, I'd leave a bowl of antifreeze out for them.

Considering that 1. They are mean, 2. Other neighbors have complained, 3. The owners don't care, I'd leave a bowl of antifreeze out for them.

Not selective enough. The bowl should be on the top of the car.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Paint Ball Gun

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I found a device that emits ultrasonic sounds and flashes with a strobe light. I'm going to test it, got a 1 month trial period anyway... 

The downside is that it’s not available until the end of July so I’ll have to find out a way to protect my STS until I receive it. Have got until Friday to get a cleaver idea, that’s when I will pick the STS up at the dealers.

On my Eldo and STS the cats always did their sneak attacks the night after it was waxed and polished…anger is not the right word…

The -93 STS I had always received the scratches on the trunk lid, the Eldo the dirt on the roof. Must be that it’s easier to jump up on an Eldo and more comfy on the padded top….

Was thinking about two un-insulated wires mated with 240 V AC at a low height. Then we could invite the neighbours to a barbeque…”c’mon now try the cat, afterall it’s yours” :angry:

Paint Gun, Pellet Gun, 50 Cal. rifle or Daisy Cutter depending on your street :P Hey were Americans :ph34r: But a good custom fit car cover will do the trick too, shame to have to put up with the problem though, I had someone walking their dog who stopped long enough for him to relieve himself on my tire I ended that quick <_<

Joe

Since your neighbors are aware their cats are a nuisance and damaging your property and are unwilling to do anything about it, then I would call animal control and have them captured and taken away--I would warn the owners first. In the meantime, I might even consider buying pepper spray and the next time I spot them on my property I would casually walk up to them and let them know who's boss. :angry:

Yes, this is a good idea. If you live in the city, there must be ordinances that protect property from animals. You might get a trap from animal control (prolly free or small fee) and then dump the animals off at the pound.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

I have a few wolf car covers and love them. If it was me, I would spend my money on a nice...quiet...PELET GUN. Very effective.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I suppose it would have to be a car cover that a cat would not enjoy sitting on as well. The car cover is good for preventing paw prints, but not stains.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I realize you are not in America, Personally I would explain to my neighbors that if I see your cat on my car again I will kill it. But you are not in America and I do not know how your country is about shooting others pets. So I would capture one and park my Caddy on it and tell the neighbors, the tables have turned instead of your cat on my Caddy, my Caddy is on your cat, I think you should keep the other four confined to your property just so they don't get accidentally run over also.

Im not sure about Sweden, but in America, if someone else's dog or cat is on your property, animal control will take them away, and if the owner wants them back, they have to pay the fines...

I just got a custom cover from CoverKing for the Envoy... it's real nice. I got it thru Autoanything.com. Was a little over $200 american. I can't stand that it's outside, but my garage just isn't big enough... for my money, there's no such thing as a garage that's too big, but...

You can buy a live animal trap if you want to spend about 40.00 at a cattle feed store. I did the antifreeze with hot dog weiners floating in the oil change pan trick and the AR15 and AK47 to delete my property of cats a long time ago But it bothers me now. Then I started trapping them live and put the trap in my truck and drove across the railroad tracks in a different type neighborhood/ghetto. LOL I would let them out past the last house and the cats would run towards the same house every time. LOL This way it is fun and you don't have to kill them. Bait the trap with cat food ot tuna. I even caught 2 raccoons, had to shoot them before moving the trap they are really mean. When I was a city dweller I shot a cat with a 22 rifle and it did not die until it ran into my next door neighbors garage, they were very upset and I had to remove it. Good luck I did not mean to ramble on. Silvereagle

I'm thinking of buying a car cover to protect it from neigbours 5 cats. I really like animals but these ones are the meanest ones I've ever met.

If a throw water on them they just sit there and watch me, they don't even run when they see our dog coming..

It's no use talking to the neigbours about it, everyone complaints and they don't care at all.

After throwing water on them they come back and climbs up on the car roof when I'm asleep, leaving scratches and stains all over.

Any car-cover you wold recommend?

If not I might just kill the cats :angry:

Thanks for all responses!

We don't have animal control here in sweden, the only way the authorities are going to do something is when they can see that animals aren't taken good care of or if they are agressive and threatens other people/animals. And it's illegal to kill someone elses cat, dog etc even if it is trespassing.

Now extremely of topic, sorry just have to say this!

This is a funny country, you pay the highest taxes in the world and you don't get much from it... 33% of your income to your county and some more to the state if you earn enough, then you'll have to pay another 25% of the price when buying something. Buy a liter of milk, cost one dollar, 20 cent is tax of that price and you have to earn 1,50 dollar to afford it. So 80 cent goes to the producer and 70 cent to the state finances. I wonder where all the money goes. In my home county (not country) there are no cops in summer, they have vacation...so you'll have to wait 40 minutes before they show up from the nearest town, if they decide to. Many times it's just like "this is a low priority case, we can't do anything" like cars driving on bicycle roads near a kinder garten etc...

They said they couldn't do anything unless they caught him in action...I had the number of the license-plate and I could identify him, but that didn't matter. :angry:

My father had to wait 2 years to get a operation (we have a cue system...),because he shopped himself in the hand when cutting wood then the doctors said "If you had come sooner we might could have saved the mobility in your finger". When I had a heart inflammation all they did ask at first was "Do you smoke?", thought it was some kind of a virus... People that are known for car-theft can steal a car, get busted caught in action, brought to the station then be released until trial starts. In a town just 20 miles from where I live the "highest score I think is 15 theft/theft-attempts by the same person, the same evening. The police aren't allowed to do more than that..

As an owner you don't have the right to do anything more than to hold him until police arrives...If I ever have to deal with some moron like that, I will use whatever means possible to stop him!

If you get in trouble with the wrong persons the police says "They are known by the police, you better avoid them" no help at all!

Kill the neigbours cat and you'll have to pay big time...

The roads are falling apart and one of the former ministers of communications once said "The roads of Sweden are made of asphalted cow-trails, and so it shall remain"

Surely we have a great social security program, but there also is a great number of cheaters. People not having done a honest work in years because they are "incapable" of working, like 20 year old kids that have "worn out knees" etc...

2/3 of all people here works for the state, thus the high taxes..

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting increasingly pissed of because of the crime rates going up and the cops only cares about speeding, even if they care they are backtied and aren't allowed to do much anyway.

I like your idea caddypete!!

Hm, I might just buy me a paint gun, have to check about it.

The owners don't care, I'd leave a bowl of antifreeze out for them.

Good idea but I'm not sure the owners would come over and drink it! :lol:

Probably the most practical solution is the car cover. They are a nuissance to put on and take off in bad weather but, in the long run, it's better than doing the commando thing with pellet and paint ball guns all night long. ;)

I found your rant interesting. I've only been to England but I have a sense that all of Europe is that way to one degree or another. The problem is the USA is steadily slipping in that direction, too.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Practical, hassle-free options:

CAR COVER

You probably would be better off with one anyway because it protects the car from sun and hail as well as cats, and it makes cleaning the snow off very simple. A good one will be simple to put on, take off, and stow in a bag that you put in your trunk, garage, shed, or basement.

ELECTRIC PET FENCE

There is no hassle in dealing with a car cover, and they can be had for about $100. Putting one up at the edges of the driveway may not be enough because the cats probably like the warm spot and will walk around to the driveway entrance in the street once they understand the electric fence, which will take just a few seconds. If you have a gated driveway then you just put the electric wires on the top of the fence. The downside is that you or others may occasionally get a startling shock. The electric fences intended for pets will not give a human a painful shock but a cat or dog will be sent flying. And, if you see them in action, they can be fun to watch.

Car cover is okay, but if sand gets under the cover, then it's gonna scratch the paint. Just be mindful of that.

In either case, the paintball gun sounds like it could be fun. Make sure to get different colors. Plus, the car cover will protect your car in case you hit it with the paintball gun by accident.

Make sure to send videos.....lol.

IPB Image

I really think the anti freeze is the way to go. It's quiet, final and there is no way you can get blamed. Damned cat just up and died. Just bring the bowl of anti freeze in every morning.

I'm liking Ranger's idea more and more. Easy, inexpensive, you don't have to be around, and no direct link to you.

IPB Image

Archived