CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cabin Air Filter

Caddynut

I wanted to check out my cabin air filters and see if they need changed in 2001 Seville. Where are they located and is it real chore to change them? Thanks.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Forward of the center console on the inside of the firewall. I've been in there but never changed one. From what I read about it, you might want to hire a slim 10 year old for the job.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Look under the hood on the passenger side at the upper part of the firewall. You'll see a door where the filter goes. it slides out.

These are a bit expensive. Just paid $30 for one.

you might want to hire a slim 10 year old for the job.

Better make that a slim 10 yr old contortionist

Look under the hood on the passenger side at the upper part of the firewall.

Jhall,

Obviously you have never had the pleasure of doing a Seville cabin filter. Count your blessings. I almost cried with joy when I saw where they put it on the Deville.

This is not good news...I wanted to replace mine this summer, but now I am really having second thoughts. THANKS! :lol:

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

After giving the job my best effort, which wasn't easy with a bad back, I finally took mine to the dealer. They did the job, and didn't charge too much....but I was NEVER sure that they got all three back in.

I'm going to try it again someday after my recent back surgery fully heals. In the meantime, here are some things that help get you room to work.

Remove the gas pedal. It is held on with a circlip, and is easy to get back in place.

Remove the shift cable grommet from the hole in the floorboard, and swing the cable up out of the way. This was done by the dealership, and probably was their key to success. I know this because they didn't put the thing back in the hole when they were done and I could feel cold air hitting my right foot, as well as hear more wind noise than before.

Of course, move the driver's seat all the way back. It would be better to take the driver's seat out completely, but I don't think I'm ever going to get THAT serious about it.

Be careful not to break the plastic door when re-installing it. The dealership also did this and the door fell off on the trip home, lodging under the gas pedal. They replaced it after a week's delay to order the part.

And I suppose now you know why I don't have terrific confidence in whether they got all the filters back in corrrectly.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

If your cabin air filter hasn't been changed in a long time, it's worth doing. I changed mine a couple of months ago (it was filthy) and got a noticeable increase in air flow through the dash vents.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Remove the left sound insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

Twist the shift cable grommet and position the cable grommet away from the filter access cover. It may be necessary to cut the tie strap, and to slice and peel back the foam insulation in order to position the shift cable grommet out of the way, in order to access the filters.

Remove the filter access cover (1). Push the cover down, then pull the cover out.

Remove the tape on the first filter.

Remove the first filter by pulling the filter tab.

Remove the tape on the second filter.

Remove the second filter by pulling the filter tab.

Remove the third filter by pulling the filter tab.

Installation Procedure

Important

Lubricate the new filter guides with a spray silicon for ease in installation. Keep the filters as straight as possible during installation.

Install the first filter into the HVAC module assembly.

Use the tab or a long screwdriver in order to raise the filter, so that the leading edge of the filter catches on the holding rib inside the filter case.

Install the second filter in the tab of the first filter.

Slide the second filter into the remaining channels of the first filter.

Raise the filters, so that the leading edge of the second filter catches on the holding rib inside the filter case.

Install the third filter in the tab of the second filter.

Slide the third filter into the remaining channels of the second filter.

Fold the second filter tab down and pull the third filter tab up over the second filter.

Install the filter access cover (1).

Reposition the shift cable grommet. If the insulation was peeled back, secure the foam back into the original position.

Install the left sound insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

post-2-1174836796.gif

If you have Asthma or other breathing problems it really helps.

My wife has bad allergies and we found that the filter made things worse.

It is positioned at the end of the whole air conditioning air flow and is placed in the perfect low spot to collect leaves, dirt and moisture and grow mold. IMO It was definitely a last minute design addition and a very poor one at that.

I replaced mine twice ( I can be done without removing the gas petal and the tranny linkage).. But ya you get to hang upside down the the foot well for about an hour. I made it my annual chore... Late last summer I just removed it for good.

IMO The A/C works better, smells better and my wife's allergies got better too... IMO these are marketing hype... Of course where we live the air is very clean. If you live in a "dirtier" city these might have some benefit.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I probably should be checking mine. not knowing all the service records kinda sucks. But it also seems like it could be blowing air a bit harder too which makes me think they havent been changed in a while.

So do all 3 go in one spot?

Yes, one at a time... They lock into each other... and the second one pushes up the first and the third pushes up the first two... :rolleyes::wacko::blink::wacko::rolleyes:

It has been posted that once you get the second one in the third is easy...

Not for me... In my car #2 was the easy one... #3 required a good 15 minutes of "in/out" manipulation.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I have the feeling that when I get to the air filters...they will stay out. I am not stuck on having filtered air in the cabin...just gimme some oxygen to breathe and I am fine. From the sounds of it, I only want to break my back under my dashboard ONCE.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I've never owned a car WITH the filter(s). I believe I'll check mine on the '01, and probably just remove them. I'm sure they're plugged...pollen is really bad in these parts every spring.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I removed them on my '99 .... my back wasn't right for the next week.

I noticed improved air flow, but, I also noticed that the interior became

dusty very quickly ... very noticeable on the instrument displays and dark

wood.

My 3 screens had much debris ... maple leaf keys, things like that.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

My daughter has been complaining about dust (pollen) in spring when she starts the car in the mornings as she has to park in the driveway. Today I fabricated a cabin air filter for her. Actually I found a Fram engine filter that was the right fit by making a template of the opening then checking every Fram filter in the store. Removed the cowl and with a little persuasion, tucked it in right over the blower intake. Not too much more work than changing the Deville filter. Now my other daughter is driving the '02 SLS. I hope never to have to do that one again.

AHHHHHHHH! I spent 40 bucks today on a Bosch filter. I wanted to see if it would make the AC blow any better. I got the 3 out with no problems, (air blows hard now) and let me tell you I think they were in there from 01. I have never seen something so nasty, mold and all was growing on it (I live in the south). I tried for about an hour and a half, and couldn't get them back in. I think I will have the dealer put them in. I am sure I could have figured it out, but hey I will never do try that one again.

I tried for about an hour and a half, and couldn't get them back in. I think I will have the dealer put them in. I am sure I could have figured it out, but hey I will never do try that one again.

Another happy customer. :lol:

AHHHHHHHH! I spent 40 bucks today on a Bosch filter. I wanted to see if it would make the AC blow any better. I got the 3 out with no problems, (air blows hard now) and let me tell you I think they were in there from 01. I have never seen something so nasty, mold and all was growing on it (I live in the south). I tried for about an hour and a half, and couldn't get them back in. I think I will have the dealer put them in. I am sure I could have figured it out, but hey I will never do try that one again.

Crap. I live in the NW Florida. Mine's a '98. Never had them replaced. I'm gonna have to check mine out!!

IPB Image

Archived