CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cabin Air Filter

Caddynut

Let me tell you what a pain it is to replace the cabin air filter; I finally got around to replacing it on my 2003 Seville STS.

I bought a less expensive filter from NAPA ($26). It's just a plain filter, not the activated charcoal filter that costs anywhere from $65 to $80 or higher at Advance Auto and Autozone.

I read one guy's post (on this board or the other one) who said it took him less then 15 minutes. Well, I bet he didn't get the interlocking channels to hook into each other. In that case, might as well just leave the filter out altogether as air is blowing past the panel elements.

The filter I replaced was the original, I believe. A good amount of dirt, leaves, etc was in there. Fortunately, I live in a dry climate, so no mold.

One thing I appreciate about having a cabin filter is the greatly reduced amount of dust in the car.

Would help to have a little mirror so you can peer at the ends of the new filter after you install each piece to be certain they interlock correctly. I lost count how many times I put each element in, discovered the interlocking channels didn't mesh, had to take it back out, and try again. Also, the filter frame is easy to break, so don't be impatient. I spent about an hour on my back with the driver seat all the way back and the seatback tilted down as far as it would go. At least I was lying down.

You need to drop the knee bolster and the sound insulation panel on the driver's side. I didn't have to move the shift cable or the accelerator. However, doing so, would have made things easier. The filter door is white and has a little tab handle on it. It just pops out.

Patience is a virtue.

I also read that the filter is positioned *after* the evap coils. I found that this is not true at least on my 2003 STS.

I wish I had pictures of the procedure, but I wasn't the happiest camper while doing this and thus wasn't in the mood to take any pictures. :)

In the end, it wasn't that big of a deal, just a pain. I feel sorry for the gentleman who had to do this with a bad back. Ouch.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't take it to the dealer. I would wonder if they installed it correctly. Doing it my self, I'm sure it is.

Next time, I'll spend some more bux and try the activated charcoal filter.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived