CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

[Rant] Mom's new STS

nitrous1

My Mom and Dad bought a new STS last week and it absolutely amazed me that for $46,500 (MSRP) you do not get a Homelink unit. I have always been a big fan of GM vehicles, but some of GM's cost cutting measures are getting a little ridiculous. I would expect that all Cadillacs would come standard with a Homelink transmitter these days. I thought that in exchange for paying a premium price you are supposed to get premium features.

Cadillac has chosen to make the homelink part of the differentiation between the Standard STS and the Luxury package. I understand that it is frustrating, but I appreciate that they want to package some desirable features to entice people to buy the more expensive luxury package.

Keeping in mind that in the new cars, assuming the STS is like the CTS in this way, the homelink transmitter is a variant version of the driver's side visor. So there is one visor part no. without the homelink built in, one visor with the homeline built in. If you buy the visor itself from GM or find the appropriate color on ebay, you can swap it in fairly easily apparently. I don't have the two part numbers, but if you decide to go that way gmotors.com should be able to research them and quote prices for the color you need.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Keep in mind that not everyone needs it, so they would be giving away Homelinks to everyone and what percent of buyers actually needs it?

If anything, it should be a give away by the sales person to a buyer IF he needs one

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I liked the old way of just providing the receptacle and if the owner wanted the built in transmitter, they bought it and plugged it in.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Keep in mind that not everyone needs it, so they would be giving away Homelinks to everyone and what percent of buyers actually needs it?

If anything, it should be a give away by the sales person to a buyer IF he needs one

I can understand the reasoning, but I would venture to say that most people buying a new Cadillac are probably parking it in a garage.

I can understand the reasoning, but I would venture to say that most people buying a new Cadillac are probably parking it in a garage.

I can understand that. But you would understand my reasoning if you saw my garage... LOL...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Cadillac has chosen to make the homelink part of the differentiation between the Standard STS and the Luxury package. I understand that it is frustrating, but I appreciate that they want to package some desirable features to entice people to buy the more expensive luxury package.

Keeping in mind that in the new cars, assuming the STS is like the CTS in this way, the homelink transmitter is a variant version of the driver's side visor. So there is one visor part no. without the homelink built in, one visor with the homeline built in. If you buy the visor itself from GM or find the appropriate color on ebay, you can swap it in fairly easily apparently. I don't have the two part numbers, but if you decide to go that way gmotors.com should be able to research them and quote prices for the color you need.

I'm not sure where the new STS Homelink is supposed to be placed. If it is indeed just a different visor, then the swap should be easy to accomplish - provided that it is just a simple plug and play type swap.

There are a lot of things on modern GM vehicles that you cannot simply plug them in and have them work - many things now require a reprogramming of the BCM or IPC in order to enable functionality - if GM will give the dealer the proper calibration files to do the change. There are few options that I would like to add on my Z71 (steering wheel remote controls being the main one) that I can't because GM will not give the dealership the necessary files to reprogram the BCM and IPC. GM has apparently adopted a policy that if a vehicle did not come from the factory with a specific option, the owner will not be allowed to add it at a later time - effectively making them buy a more expensive vehicle with features they may not want or need. In the old days (70's thru early 90's) it was relatively easy to add factory options, now the factory had found a way to stop that. There are a few exceptions that GM will make - for instance if a customer is looking at a new vehicle that is doesn't have the radio they what, the dealership may be able to convince GM to give them a new BCM calibration that will allow the desired radio to be installed. If you are buying a used vehicle, you are apparently out of luck though - I've talked with a couple of local dealerships and GM will not give them the calibration files that they need. A good friend of mine is a master tech at a local Chevy dealership and he really did some pleading for me and GM will not relent and give us the necessary files.

On the new DTS, the homelink is built into the overhead console. Looks like to add it you would have to replace the whole overhead console. Hopefully, the wiring is the same. The STS is probably the same.

Charles

Charles

Too bad they don't have plug in Rainsense wipers! You gotta go to the Lux III or Performance for them now (DTS).

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

If getting tthe GM Vehicle new, you can pay a small fee and "order" the car they way you want it.

My Uncle did it with an Impala. Dealer said he was the only guy he knew that took off equipment that was standard from the differant packages.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

If getting tthe GM Vehicle new, you can pay a small fee and "order" the car they way you want it.

My Uncle did it with an Impala. Dealer said he was the only guy he knew that took off equipment that was standard from the different packages.

SMALL FEE? :blink::o:blink: OMG... I have never seen a dealer charge a fee to factory order a car... If anything I have experienced the opposite. Once in a while (ussually the first time) they will ask you to leave a small deposit and the dealer holds that money for the 9 weeks or so it takes for GM to make and ship your car...The dealer is happy 'cause they are selling a car and they aren't paying the caring charges of having a car sit on the lot for a month or two. Every time I have factory ordered a car (and I have ordered 5) The dealer sells them to me at $50-$100 over dealer cost (about 12-15% off of MSPR)... Plus any other incentives GM HQ is offering at the time.

The challenge is getting past the commissioned sales force and getting to the (almost always) salaried fleet purchaser.

If you don't have an "in" try calling the main switchboard, ask for fleet sales. Then suck up.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

well Small fee was something to do with breaking up the packages and destination charge, they waived it...but it probibly didn't even exist :P

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Oh, that's something completely different...

Yes you will pay slightly more if you "disassemble" option packages...

I remember in the middle 90s, when I ordered a car for my sister. On her car we tried to save some money and delete the A/C. This was included "Free" with the power option group. When the dealer priced out all of the bits, the car was like $150 dollars MORE expensive without the A/C then with...

But that is not the norm, you can delete On-Star for example from just about any package and save a big whack of money.

The good news is that GM still lets you do this... Try this with Toyota, Honda, Etc...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Too bad they don't have plug in Rainsense wipers! You gotta go to the Lux III or Performance for them now (DTS).

JohnnyG,

The RainSense wipers are great. Love 'em. They even automagically turn on your headlights when they start and adjust their speed from intermittant to REAL FAST, depending on how heavy it is raining

Earlier this summer, we came thru West Virginia from S. Carolina headed back to Texas and it rained almost constantly till we were coming into Kentucky. '06 DTS Performance.

Posted Image

JohnnyG,

The RainSense wipers are great. Love 'em. They even automagically turn on your headlights when they start and adjust their speed from intermittant to REAL FAST, depending on how heavy it is raining

Earlier this summer, we came thru West Virginia from S. Carolina headed back to Texas and it rained almost constantly till we were coming into Kentucky. '06 DTS Performance.

Out of all the options that were put on my Deville, thats certainly one I wish it had. Mine does however turn the headlights on when the wipers are turned on.

The Green's Machines

I think I appreciate them most when passing trucks or other large vehicles on wet roads. In those instances, they can be an invaluable safety feature, and I'm very disappointed that they are not standard equipment on all DTS's.

Think about it, you're cruising along at 70 mph on wet roads. Not enough rain is falling to have your wipers on very often, but the rainsense knows that and wipes the window as needed. Suddenly you pass a truck and the wipers spring into action giving you a clear view regardless of the amount of spray being generated by the truck. A "normal" wiper would just stay at the same lazy speed, casully leaving you momentarily blind to dangers ahead.

I suppose it was another cost saving measure, but it sure doesn't make me want to "trade up".

JohnnyG,

Out of all the options that were put on my Deville, thats certainly one I wish it had. Mine does however turn the headlights on when the wipers are turned on.

Right, I have a '97 Base Deville and I don't have the rainsense wipers. It was an extra on the '97-'99 Base Devilles, however, it was standard on the D'Elegance and Concours in those model years. Personally, I would have at least liked the added features that the D'Elegance offered, especially the Memory Package and the Active Audio Sound System, but I bought what I could afford. The only extras my car has is the Leather Interior, Chrome Wheels, and Trunk Mounted 6 disk CD Player. It does however have the Homelink System which I have never used; I don't have a garage. The base Deville cost $39,100 when I got it and the Concours was $46,500. That's a pretty big difference.

"Rainsense Wiper System" listed under the Standard Equipment on my '04 DTS.

Yeah, my '99 Seville too! Try a 2006 or 07 DTS however...........

DTS and STS are the "top" of the line Deville and Seville of the previous years, DHS being the High-Livery/Luxury sedan.

The new DTS and STS have "luxury I/II/III" and a "Performance" package that would equate to Deville/DHS/DTS and SLS/STS with more defined packages. That would explaine why your cars list it as standard.

The Green's Machines

DTS & DHS are equals as far as "top of the line". One emphasizes luxury and the other performance, but MSRP is identical, at least it was on the '03's when I was searching.

Archived