CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Name your oil and filter

Marika

Please tell what oil you use in your engine, your engine type (N*, 4.9 or other type) and the filter you use.

Describe why you use this oil and filter combination.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northstar 4.6

Delco oil filter - Because I have been convinced by this board that OEM is a good filter.

Now I don't want to start another oil war here, and I know people are willing to fight and die

over a particular brand BUT

Oil - whatever 10w30 mineral oil is on sale. Because oil is oil and they all do the same thing.

Currently Supertec from Walmart.

AC delco, its cheap, Guru says its good, and because people say Fram is not good.

Mobil 1, because it's processed in the same town I live in.

Valvoline, always on sale, and seems to keep clean.

I use either Mobil1 or Valvoline synthetic blends. I was using full synthetic exclusively, but I discovered that a sythetic blend significantly reduced oil consumption due to leaks. I'll typically use either a Purolator or WIX filter due to product reputation (just like the oil brands I use).

Do synthetic oils tend to cause leaks on the 4.9, N* and other engines?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Do synthetic oils tend to cause leaks on the 4.9, N* and other engines?

I don't think synthetic oils cause leaks, I think that because synthetic oil is so slippery, it tends to "seep" its way through leak prone areas that conventional oils don't.

I don't want to start another oil war here, and I know people are willing to fight and die

just like Larry I am not going to start neither another oil war nor a filter/regime change ;) 10-30 anf any appropriate filter from walmart is fine for my 4.9. I just change them when my indicator gets 25% and. that's it. Thare are many other important things to warry about than the oil-filter brand.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Purolator pure one filter, usually valvoline 10-30, more recently Pennzoil 10-30

.......engine is 93 L37 N*.........144,000 miles+

Valvoline high milage & pure filter. Why? Cause thats what the garage where I get it changed uses.

I've never heard of a veh. failing due to the wrong oil being used.(normal use) Seems if you change it often, 3-5K, brand of oil should make little difference.

ACDelco PF58 (or PF61) filters because that is the filter that was good enough to validate the engine.

Whatever GF-3 "Starburst" symbol 10W-30 oil is on sale by the case because that is at least good enough. Usually Chevron Supreme or Havoline.

'98 Northstar; 123,000+ miles.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Following the computer prompt (oil life <10%), A/C Delco filter, Mobil 'Drive Clean' 10/30 conventional oil. Period.

Reasoning? It's what these engines were validated with by the engineering staff. Good enough for me. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I'm with Bob D. here. I use Mobil conventional 10w-30 and the AC filter. I am a firm believer in using OEM recomended parts and fluids wherever possible, and there is very little savings difference in going with a cheap brand here.

I have the 4.6 N* as well, but usually change when i get to about 40% on the oil life monitor. This is usually about 4k miles or so, and I just don't like letting my oil go any longer than that... B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I use German made Castrol 0W-30, a synthetic that is supposed to be very low in VII's. Unfortunately, it is somewhat thicker than most 30's and nearly an SAE 40 at operating temp. Because of this, it does not get the GF-3 rating and my gas milage shows it. The engine runs very quietly with it and it does not leak out anywhere. Switching to this oil did not lower my oil consumption any further than I was able to accomplish with Mobil Drive Clean (not blend), and the DC gave me better fuel economy. I intend to switch back to DC 10W-30 at my next oil change. Oil filters are WIX.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I think it used to have Mobil-1 and whatever filter by a local shop every 3,000+/- 500-miles. For the last few years, I just let the shop put a sorta-synthetic in at about thesame interval. I check the oil and air up the tires every few weeks regardless of miles, due to some relatively minor (but not inexpensive) leaks in both systems. Being a cheap a**, I like to think of the leaks as a "system purge/recycle", with oil restoring the resilancy of the the asphalt roads.

I'm just glad I can't make another mistake like did quite a few years ago. At night, I hastily poured about 2-quarts of oil into the '64 Dodge Dart's radiator by mistake! It actually ran just fine and all, but the guy I sold it to years later asked me what the hell happened to the cooling system! :P

With the factory really doing the work for you with SAE ratings and all, Life is too short - to worry about oil, filters, etc.

The question does make for interesting responses, none the less.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Any 10w30 GF3 rated oil and whatever filter is on sale. Change it when the oil life indicator says to do it.

These cars just don't experience oil-related failures. Using synthetics, additives, or more frequent changes or anything out of the ordinary is a total waste of your money.

Following the computer prompt (oil life ;)

for the 92 Seville, what filter/oil combo was the 4.9L validated with?

'97 Northstar, almost 130k miles.

AC-Delco PF-61 filter.

Any number of conventional oil brands, Valvoline, Mobil Drive-Clean, and most recently, Havoline.

I change the oil at my convenience whenever the Oil Life Monitor is in the lower third of the range (below 35% or so).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

1993 STS Northstar

156,000 miles

Pennzoil 10w-30w

Fram oil filter

Changed when oil indicator says (3,000 to 3,500 miles).

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

AC-Delco PF61 filter and Castrol High Mileage 10W30 for my Northstar. I usually change the oil and filter around 25% on the OLM.

I was using Fram filters until I began reading test reports - I now use AC-Delco exclusively for my GM vehicles.

I typically buy Castrol products for all my vehicles, but I will occasionally use Valvoline Max-Life in my STS.

for the 92 Seville, what filter/oil combo was the 4.9L validated with?

Again, the A/C Delco filter. The oil would have been either Mobil or Havoline 10/30 conventional.

I had a '92 STS, used A/C Delco and Mobil 'Drive Clean' conventional 10/30. Followed the computer for changes, drove the heck out of that 4.9, and took it to 120+k miles before letting it go...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived