CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Looking at an upgrade to 2010 DTS - advice requested

jhall

Hi all,

Made some front-end repairs to the 2000 Deville and I'm facing similar work on the 2002. This is giving me incentive to upgrade. I'm getting too old (actually lazy) for major repairs...........

I am looking at a 2010 DTS to replace the 2002 (higher miles than 2000) and would like some comment on any problems that have been found in that year model - hoping to avoid major problems such as the high overdrive slip that required transmission repairs on both the 2000 and 2002 (out of warranty).

Here's what I am looking at:

2010 Cadillac Model DTS. 17,500 miles. Loaded. One owner. Garaged. Leather Heated/Cooled front seats. Heated steering wheel. 3-zone climate control. Ultrasonic Park Assist. Power Sunroof. 6 CD Player, 8 Speakers/iPod Port. Satellite Radio. Blue-Tooth Controls for Phone. On-Star ready. Carpeted Floormats, PLUS additional set of All-Weather Floormats.

Naturally, this one will be for the loving wife :wipetears

The present owner bought it from a dealer in 2011, so I am already wondering if something might be wrong.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

The VERY FIRST THING I would do is get the VIN number and take it to my local dealer...

They can run the VIN and give you a printout of everything that has been done to it.

After having that in hand... then I would make the decision on buying it or not...

Keep in mind it does have a 4 year / 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain.

Any issues would be handled under warranty.

I am on a DTS ONLY forum on the other board and I have not heard of ANY transmission problems in the 2006 or newer models.

I few people have had minor noises in the front end... but that has usually been STRUT BEARINGS which were then replaced under warranty.

Bottom line... if the printout from the dealer wasn't too bad and I liked the car... I would haggle real hard on the price and then buy it.

I have a little over 124,000 miles on my 2006 DTS... and it still runs and drives like a new one.

Posted Image

Don't forget the CarFAX. About two years ago considered a really nice all-black 2008 STS-V that I was thinking of flying to Dallas to pick up, but the CarFAX revealed that it had spent its first two years in Michigan as a fleet car and has been shipped to Texas to sell; it was a hard-core Salt Belt car that did not have a personal owner or, likely, a garage at night. Often, when a car ends a one or two year lease, it is auctioned, and can end up anywhere.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi all,

Made some front-end repairs to the 2000 Deville and I'm facing similar work on the 2002. This is giving me incentive to upgrade. I'm getting too old (actually lazy) for major repairs...........

I am looking at a 2010 DTS to replace the 2002 (higher miles than 2000) and would like some comment on any problems that have been found in that year model - hoping to avoid major problems such as the high overdrive slip that required transmission repairs on both the 2000 and 2002 (out of warranty).

Here's what I am looking at:

2010 Cadillac Model DTS. 17,500 miles. Loaded. One owner. Garaged. Leather Heated/Cooled front seats. Heated steering wheel. 3-zone climate control. Ultrasonic Park Assist. Power Sunroof. 6 CD Player, 8 Speakers/iPod Port. Satellite Radio. Blue-Tooth Controls for Phone. On-Star ready. Carpeted Floormats, PLUS additional set of All-Weather Floormats.

Naturally, this one will be for the loving wife :wipetears

The present owner bought it from a dealer in 2011, so I am already wondering if something might be wrong.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

The DTS is a very comfortable and well-equipped vehicle. If you're interested, a dealership would be a good place to have it inspected as you're understanably concerned before making such a purchase. If you have any product, send the VIN# in a DM and I can check to see if a feature is OEM installed. Also if you do make the purchase, the Cadillac Owner Center is a useful designed by GM and will give you access to manuals, etc. Good luck with your decision and your consideration of Cadillac is very much appreciated!

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

https://my.cadillac....nagemybrand?g=1

That sounds like a twin to the 2010 DTS Lux that I bought last January. I have a few early 2000 ish Devilles, and it seems most of the issues with those cars were straightened out with the new body style. One thing, if this car is from a Cadillac dealer, ask them to make it a Certified Used. This extends the Bumper to bumper warranty to 6 years, 100k miles. My 2010 is Certified Used, and that cinched the deal for me.

My 2008 DTS has had two minor issues, both covered under warranty. First was the connector (EBCTM) on the firewall which had some pins pushed back during initial assembly. This caused some intermittent flashing of the front parking sensor lights on the dash cover. Second was the ignition key switch which failed to sense when the key was removed, not allowing the drivers seat to assume the EXIT position. Both of these issues are likely rare and would show up early in a vehicles service life.

OH, let's not forget the GM recall on the heated windshield washer fluid, which consisted of cutting the wires to the unit and removing it. I don't know the extent of that "FIX" but you might want to check for that option. This issue was fixed by me by replacing the unit with an AlphaTherm unit for about $100.00.

Just drove the car to Florida last week and it performed flawlessly, 26.5 MPG fully loaded for an 800 mile trip average, including numerous stops. AND it doesn't use oil like my 1999 STS did.

Mine is the Lux III, (w/rear sunshade) but I would have preferred the Platinum or the Performance models, not that this car is sluggish by any means, but the response/handling gains provided by the performance gearing/suspension are hard to ignore.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

JohnnyG,

I too replaced the original heated washer unit with an AlphaTherm... or rather my dealer did it for me.

I furnished the AlphaTherm unit and a 20 dollar bill and when they took out the original heater, they installed the new AlphaTherm.

20120929_152153.jpg

Posted Image

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the info.

Assuming the VIN provides clean info, I'll need to negotiate the price down a few thousand on this with the owner. He's asking more than a Certified Used - and I'd rather have one of these if I'm going to spend top $$.

I have a few early 2000 ish Devilles, and it seems most of the issues with those cars were straightened out with the new body style.

What issues did your early 2000 Devilles have? I bought a 2005 Deville 3 years ago with 39,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free so far.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My father-in-law has a 2004 Deville with 63,000 miles. We had the case half and axle seals replaced. Rear window regulator break, fixed with cotter pins. 2000 model had a problematic water cooled alternator.

Jim,

How do you like the AlphaTherm unit? I am considering trying one and if I like it, upgrading the remaining two cars. I really don't need it for the cold/winter months but more so for the months when the bugs are out and splatter on the windshield.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE, I know that Jim uses his heated fluid differently than I do, since I reserve mine mostly for winter emergency defrosting. However, I must ask you whether your original units were removed by the recall. If not, adding the new units to wiring harnesses not set up for that option could be a real nightmare.

To GM's credit, installing the AlphaTherm unit after the OEM recall leaves all of the connectors in place, so installation is a breeze in that instance.

Johnny,

None of my three cars have the option - the heated fluid option was not available when the cars were new. I am looking at installing one but it may be more trouble that it is worth.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim,

How do you like the AlphaTherm unit? I am considering trying one and if I like it, upgrading the remaining two cars. I really don't need it for the cold/winter months but more so for the months when the bugs are out and splatter on the windshield.

I really like it.

They are only about 80 bucks or so...

I too use it for the bugs... the hot washer fluid (140 degrees) really does clean them off good.

Works way better than regular washer fluid.

Posted Image

I really like it.

I too use it for the bugs... the hot washer fluid (140 degrees) really does clean them off good.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to see if they have a unit that will work in my car. I wonder why GM didn't use the AlphaTherm to replace the original units on the recall vs. giving owners $100?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I really like it.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to see if they have a unit that will work in my car.

I wonder why GM didn't use the AlphaTherm to replace the original units on the recall vs. giving owners $100?

I have wondered that too...

The $100 paid for my AlphaTherm and the 20 bucks I gave to the tech that removed the original unit and installed the AlphaTherm for me.

Posted Image

Thanks for the information. I'm going to see if they have a unit that will work in my car. I wonder why GM didn't use the AlphaTherm to replace the original units on the recall vs. giving owners $100?

I think I can answer that question in one word: Liability.

Go for it!

I Got a 2011 DTS Platnum with all the toys!

It was a GM PEP car $58k msrp. It had 2,500 miles I paid $29,xxx. I got that deal because I am a GM employee/family.

Delivered thru Lloyd Caddy in Daytona. They even took my 07 DTS in trade.

I figured this was tha last of the v-8 Caddy land boats so I was gonna have me a last one!

No v-6 power for me!

The only dislike is the bucket seats..................

Sorry pics to big and won't load here.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I have a few early 2000 ish Devilles, and it seems most of the issues with those cars were straightened out with the new body style.

What issues did your early 2000 Devilles have? I bought a 2005 Deville 3 years ago with 39,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free so far.

They all had the torn plenum issue, the mode door actuator, they all went thru oil, both 01's had the lockup solenoid failure, and one of the 01's had a head gasket failure. I have an 05 Deville also and it had a torn plenum when I bought it. And a bad alternator. Even with these issues, these are great cars. To me, they are like Harleys, they all have about the same problems. if you can fix one, you can fix all of them.

They all had the torn plenum issue, the mode door actuator, they all went thru oil, both 01's had the lockup solenoid failure, and one of the 01's had a head gasket failure. I have an 05 Deville also and it had a torn plenum when I bought it. And a bad alternator. Even with these issues, these are great cars. To me, they are like Harleys, they all have about the same problems. if you can fix one, you can fix all of them.

The plenum boot is not a big deal in my opinion. Rubber ages, dries out, and eventually cracks. The par cost and the amount of work to replace it is minimal. Head gaskets are not an issue with a 2004+ model since they got redesigned head bolts with a coarse pitch thread. The oil usage has been greatly reduced - My 2005 does not use oil between changes. My '97 STS uses about 1 quart every 1800 miles. That does not bother me since I know the engine is getting proper lubrication and the addition of 2 or three quarts of oil between changes means a new dose of antiwear additives get added. I bought the '97 with bad headgaskets as a project car and the factory hone pattern was still visible in the cylinders.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 months later...

All 4 had the plenum go. Easy fix. 2 of them had the actuator under the dash go. 2 had the lockup solenoid go. 2 had the rear shocks go. (Funny, the lowest mileage one, the 02 Deville with 44k had the rear shocks and front sway bushings go. Bad roads I guess. Plus, the ps pump went bad). 2 had the subwoofer give out. 2 (possibly 3, I think also the 02 after I traded it in) had to have the ac compressors replaced. Only one, my son's 01 Deville, had the head gasket go. All of them except the 02 had windows drop. )5 had the alternator fail. There may be a few othing things that I may have forgotten. I recently traded in my 05 Mary Kay for the 06 DTS lux 3 that I drive now. A year ago we traded the 02 for a 2010 DTS Lux for my wife. I will most likely be selling my 01 Deville, no use for it, but a great running and looking car. If I had more room in my driveway I could just keep it. So as far as 2000-05's that will leave just my son's 01 Deville, and he loves the car. I don't think he will get rid of it soon. This sounds like alot of problems, but this is 4 cars that we used dailey and put a decent amount of miles on them. I am in no way complaining. I am a bit of a perfectionist, as soon as I see something is wrong (with caddies or my bikes) I have a habit of jumping right in to fix them myself.

Archived