CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sad day for me and my Caddy STS

SGT.ROCK

I had been smelling coolant from my car every once in a while so I took it down to Camargo Cadillac in Montgomey Ohio. They did a pressure test of my coolant system and they found that my water pump, thermostat housing, crossover hose,and about every other coolant realated item had a leak. I was OK with that ,But then they said I had an oil leak and that my block halves needed resealed and that required dropping then engine cradle and splitting the motor open to repair it. The labor on that was around $1400.OUCH! My heart is broken. My wife and I have decided to trade in my Caddy for something brand new and with a warranty. Been lookin at those 4 door Colorado 4wd drive trucks,just wish they had the 291HP six cylinder instead of the 220HP 5 cylinder. I Vow to own another Caddy some day, And I will always defend the Cadillac name along with ANY other GM product ( Yes even Aveos or whatever) I would like to thank the Admin for puttin up a page like this dedicated to Caddy owners and to all you members for posting responces for the questions that I have posted. You all ROCK. :blink::blink::(

You haven't already traded it have you??

That "block half" leak may or may not be true...we've seen that problem mis-diagnosed so many times. Have you actually seen oil dripping on the ground?

And about the coolant leaks...have you actually seen those leaks? I would definitely get a second opinion before trading the car... Especially if that dealer thinks you're interested in something new from them, they'll write up a big repair bill quick to get you to "upgrade" to something new.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

What a shame that you did this, the block half issue is something that you can overlook. Fix the waterpump and crossover hose, gaskets and drive it... I am beginning to HATE GM service departments.. Did this dealer sell the Colorado?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What a shame that you did this, the block half issue is something that you can overlook. Fix the water pump and crossover hose, gaskets and drive it... I am beginning to HATE GM service departments.. Did this dealer sell the Colorado?

I have about 90,000 miles AFTER I was told the same thing. The engine runs fine, it just drips a little oil. Aggravating, sure, but not $1400.00 dollars worth! I just put an oil absorbent mat on the garage floor. The amount of oil lost due to this problem is minuscule. Probably not even a quarter pint over 6000 miles.

Remember, oil is like blood, even a little looks like a lot, especially if it is yours!

Did you ever see anybody with a scalp wound? It looks like they lost a couple of gallons, when in reality it was a couple of table spoons full.

Bottom line:

The case half leak is something that thousands of us live with. Granted, we all would rather have a dry engine, but we have learned to live with it.

If you haven't been noticing any oil loss, it is because it is just a "seep". All the service rep is trying to do is generate income for his shop! Tell them to take a hike.

Shops like that are bound to "discover" other problems as the work progresses, then your $1400.00 estimate goes away and you are looking at a whole bunch of stuff that you didn't need.

The fact that they said that it is leaking anti-freeze "everywhere" also raises a red flag! Take your car somewhere else and tell these shysters to take a hike! They are setting you up for the ultimate rip-off!

Britt

Britt

I doubt coolant started leaking all over... You probably have a loose hose connection or similar issues, which might be a five minute fix. As far as oil leak is concerned, just ignore it. You can definitely live with it. Not a reason to trade in your Caddy. Are you sure your next car will be more reliable and you will enjoy it as much as you enjoy your Cadillac? The dealer just want your car for next to nothing to resell it and make a couple of grands.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I agree. You are signing a death certificate for the common cold. Half case leak is just unpressurized seepage. Nothing more than a niusance and will never be fatal. Maybe it's the pan gasket. Many people have slowed that down by pulling the pan bolts one at a time, flushing the bolt holes and bolt threads with Brake Kleen and reinstaling them with Permatex thread sealer.

It is hard to believe that your entire cooling system is leaking so bad that every gasket needs to be replaced. Have you been noticing puddles under the car? How often do you add coolant? How much? When was the coolant last changed? Did you use the sealant tabs? Maybe this is just as case of "Take 6 asperins (sealant tabs) and call me in the morning". Tighen the crossover hose clamp, thermostat gasket is an easy DIY repair. What other coolant related items are leaking?

I also suspect this dealer is just trying to keep his mechanics working and generate income.

Sigh..Sounds all too familiar...Here's what the dealer said when I took my car in for the head-gasket repair:

AJ: Car is loosing coolant/Engine getting hot

Dealer: Yeah, we tested it, seems as though the headgaskets have failed..needs a NEW ENGINE

AJ: A new engine? you mean there is no way to fix it?

Dealer: Nope the bolts have pulled out of the block, then Engine needs to be replaced.

AJ: (out of anger) I'll sell the darn thing before I let you put a new Engine in it

Dealer: Oh no no no....don't sell it...Trade it in on a new Cadillac!..We can give you a great deal!

About 2 weeks later they "Fixed" the Engine they previously told me could not be repaired, lousy smucks. I will say that this was not a very reputable shop, rather one of those "rouge dealerships" that sells everything under the sun (Cadillac,Honda,GMC,Kia all at the same place)...I have since done business with the historically respected Cadillac dealership in town and have been nothing short of completely satisfied ;)

A.J.

The big money for them is in selling cars and getting rid of stock at your expense and by scaring you... I hate stories like this.

I will bet that if you went to the high mileage 10W30 and snugged up your pan bolts and eliminated cooler line leaks and cam cover leaks you would have all be stopped the 'leaks'.... You weren't even complaining about oil usage...

For ALL MEMBERS, this is why we are here..... Run this stuff by us, before you go out and make a rash decision to trade in a car. I water pump, thermostat gasket and a hose CLAMP tightening could be all that this car needed..

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This post also frustrates me because in all likelihood dealerships will exacerbate the severity of the problem in order to make a sale. For instance, say a little old lady takes her 97 Eldorado in because it's leaking oil. She hears it's going to be $2500 to fix, She balks at the price and says "no way". Then the dealer tells her that it will metastasize into a disastrous oil leak and eventually kill the engine if she doesn't get it fixed. She decides to trade it in on a Buick, and proceeds to tell EVERYONE about her POS Cadillac, and how she will never buy another one.

How many times do you think this scenario has played out with the following:

Bad solenoids=new Trans.

Dirty battery terminals=new starter

Cold carbon rap=new engine/pistons

I bet it happens all the time...The guys who are supposed to be on our side end up giving Cadillac a bad name :(

I will say this...I have noticed a check list at my local dealership..It is on a big board right when you walk in. It ranges from something like unsatisfied to "completely satisfied" then gives a number to call if you are anything but "completely satisfied"

SGTROCK, Im not sure you have traded your Caddy in yet...But if you haven't give the dealership a call..Ask them how serious the oil leak is, how much oil it will leak, and if it ever will get worse..I'm sure we all would be interested in there response...

A.J.

I've had really nothing but bad luck with now two cadillac dealerships. They want to sell you a new car and not properly repair your old one. It's a shame.

Stay away from Brogan Cadillac in Ridgewood, New Jersey and Martin Cadillac in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Both have excellent parts departments if you are into buying your parts and fixing it yourself but their repair departments are ripoffs and terrible service.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm lucky enough to have an excelent Caddy deal a few miles down the road from me. I know the general manager, as well as the sales manager and service manager personally. However stories like this piss me off. It seems like ethics don't apply when it's "just buisness". Ever wonder why we all don't start our own repair shop, that way we could all charge $1400 to tighten a hose clamp. Then we could all buy new Caddys, except none of us would do that because we aren't heartless bastards. Best of luck regardless of your decision, sorry to hear of your troubles.

--Ben

I bought my 94 Concours with an oil leak with 61000 miles on it. I now have 135,500 and still have an oil leak. It is about 1 quart for every 1000 miles. I tightened my oil pan bolts and slowed it a little. In the 5 years I have owned it that equates to about $120 extra for oil or about $24 per year. I would say put a piece of cardboard down in your garage and drive it like you stole it. A case half leak does not leak beyond a few drops, it is not a leak under pressure and it will not leave you standing beside the road. Just add oil when your indicator says it is low, you will still have about 5 quarts left at that point.

No the oil leak isnt that bad. But the car has almost 112,000 miles on it and for the first time in my life I have a chance to trade it in and get somehing brand new and with a warranty. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my Caddy. I mean I love it so much that even though its PINK-PEARL I just had to have it MARY KAY colors be damned! How many of you would drive a PINK-PEARL Caddy? (Dont answer that) I just cant see the logic in sinking more money in the car when I could trade it in and not have to worry that much about if the car or truck I buy breaks down,its covered under warranty.,So come on guys dont be haters.As long as the GM dealer give me close to Kelly Blue Book trade in value for my car I will buy a GM product. And if they dont (God forbid that) I will probably whip out the GM master Card and get most of the repairs I need and drive it til the wheels fall of, so to speak. :blink:

First off,let me say how much I enjoy the forum.It is a wealth of information that I dont believe could be found anywhere else.The people here are more helpful than most dealerships,and unfortunatly in some cases more knowledgable.However what concerns me is the attidude about dealerships,not only here but people in general.I guess I'm a bit sensitive because I am the GM at a dealership[although not autos I sell motorcycles].Now I'm sure there are dealers out there that do some shady things,shame on them,but In my opinion most dealerships are honest.Think about it,why would a dealer do things to give themselves a bad reputation?All manufacturers send out satisfaction surveys to customers. If a dealer was contantly being bashed by the customers the manufacturer would most definitly take action.Dealerships have the most up to date information, and as a rule the best trained techs.another thing to keep in mind,somebody takes their car to a dealership for an oil leak,and they are told' its minor just drive it ' 2 weeks later the car burns flat,due to a 'minor oil leak'..see where I'm going with this?As far as wanting you to trade for new,ask any dealer,they, as a rule make more on a used car than new. Also, why would the service dept. not want to do a $1200 job?Yes dealers do misdiagnose sometimes,but they are going to fix the car right,not just enough to get by.If my service manager lied to a customer about repairs just to make money ,he would be looking elsewhere for employment,and I think most car dealers feel the same as I do about that.Im sorry that anybody has had a bad experience with a dealer,but they should always take it back and give them a chance to make it right.Any business person, car dealer or not, does not want pissed off customers.It just does'nt make good business sense,they did'nt get to own a dealership by doing dumb things.Just another opinion.

So come on guys dont be haters.

I don't think anybody's judging your decision to look for something else. To each his own, and if a newer car is what you want, that's obviously up to you. I think we all support THAT.

We just didn't want to see that dealer "talk you into" a new car because of "all the repairs needed" just to keep your current one on the road. It sounds like you may not have put too much stock in what the dealer said, and wish to trade it in on your own account, and that's great. But we've seen the "I really like it and want to keep it, but the dealer is pushing a big repair bill" story before, and it's sad to see someone who really wishes to keep their car but who gets bullied by a dealership who would rather sell a new car than keep a happy customer.

Cheers, and best wishes.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Ditto Jason you took the words out of my mouth.

Rock,

If you love the Caddy so much, don't overlook a used one. I found my '02 SLS with 13K on it. It was certified so it now has 6yr/100K warranty. I'm covered til Feb. '08, and it cost a lot less than most new cars. Just another option to consider.

. . . . and for the first time in my life I have a chance to trade it in and get somehing brand new and with a warranty. . . . . As long as the GM dealer give me close to Kelly Blue Book trade in value for my car . . . .

Are you talking about trading it in to the VERY SAME dealer that told you is was a POS?

Wouldn't you be surprised if he offered you close to the KBB trade in value? I would!

On another note, didn't someone post some time back that the half case leak could be virtually stopped by cleaning the block and applying heat resistant RTV sealant at the case joint? Was it the Guru his own self?

In any event, good luck with whatever decision you make SGT.ROCK. ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

On another note, didn't someone post some time back that the half case leak could be virtually stopped by cleaning the block and applying heat resistant RTV sealant at the case joint? Was it the Guru his own self?

Regards,

Warren

I believe that was either Barry94 or growe3...Need to find that thread myself once spring hits...:)

A.J.

Hey, Larry where did you get such a deal on 02 SLS? How much the 6y/100K miles warranty can cost?

I found it at Progressive Caddilac http://progressiveautogroup.com/caddy%20home.htm in Canton Ohio. Since it was such low milage, it was GM certified and the extended warranty came with it, as well as 6 mo. free Onstar service. I called and talked to the salesman, made him an offer, he accepted, and the next day I was airborne. He picked me up at the motel in the morning and by 1030 I was on the road headed home. He told me they strickly look for low milage cars. If you call them ask for Art Lewis and tell him I sent you. If you need any more info let me know.

Lary, thanks a lot for the info. I plan to buy a newer Caddy in a few months. How much can I bargain with Progressive Caddilac? Does the extended waranty comes with the price? Please advise.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Well, in my case the extended warranty came with it (though I realize nothing is free). I am sure negotiation depends on how much they have in the car. In my caes it was a GM lease buy back that was auctioned off to dealers. They were asking $21k. I offered $20, over the phone, and he accepted. The rest is history.

That's a real steal. They do have one 2003 SLS, but they are asking 25K and it has 20K miles. Not so great deal like yours, but I'll still talk to Art tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Archived