Have you ever done your brakes?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever done your brakes?

• yes, i have
    • no, i have not

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and yet another poll!! yes, you can call yourself mechanically inclined if you do your own brakes. Ever tried to piece a rear drum together without looking (because you took them both apart at the same time) at the other side? :) This qualifies you.

i biught my front rotors for 15$ each. i do not know about rear ones. front brake pads are 25-35$ for a pair, rear brake pads may be more expensive though.

Eric, just an advise - do your brakes yourself. it is not difficult for a guy. at the same time you'll learnsomething about your car and will be less reluctant to fis something else should it happen to your car. it's your car man!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I thought it was strange - my coworker said, her BFs dad, who works at a dealer, can replace your brakes/rotors for JUST the cost of the parts. I said.. alright. and so he did. But I have to order sheet for the parts - it adds up.

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Hi Eric

Hard to tell if it's a good price.Rotors are rotors but there are many many price ranges for the parts and quality matters to me.Some places you can buy cheap ones wether it's a cheap price for a good part is another question Evrytime time I have purchased rotors there is a big price spread on them from various sources.

The spread can be as much as $25 or $30 all the way up to over a $125 a piece I don't know about the quality of various vendors as the the ones that cost more are actually better or the cheaper ones are just as good who knows for sure unlees you have tried them.On some of the cheaper rotors when you start to find out about them they are made overseas China,Korea,Cuba.I pass on these and try to find at least the ones(rotors) made in the US All you can do is find out which brand of rotors the guy used and do a price check on them..Did the guy use $100 worth of parts and charge you the rest in labor who knows Did he just turn you old ones(rotors) who knows Same goes with pads and calipers many vendors and grades..

Cheers

Jim

and yet another poll!! yes, you can call yourself mechanically inclined if you do your own brakes. Ever tried to piece a rear drum together without looking (because you took them both apart at the same time) at the other side? :) This qualifies you.

try pulling both sides down only to find they sold you the wrong shoes! and the parts place was not in walking distance!(that was a long saturday)

Do the work yourself then invest the savings in quality parts. More than

likely your friend of a friend bought the cheapest parts available and pocketed

the $. Same with having someone change your oil. They install the cheapest

crappy oil filters available. Thanks, but I'd rather do it myself.

DIY or farm the job out? If you think you can do it, or you if think you can't do it, in both cases, you'll probably be right. You are your limit. An approach that has worked for me: Who has the "Brains" in a given situation? The "Mindless" metal, or me? The metal is dumb, I try to not be out-smarted by a brainless hunk of metal. I haven't seen much "Magic" in anything. Most things are common sense, not "Magic". Read up on what you don't know, and ask questions. Where there is a will, there is a way. If you don't try anything, chances are you won't fail. If you do try, you'll learn more than not trying.

rek

I had my brakes done 6,000 miles ago. The rotors were NOT replaced, simply cut. The local service tech, a former Cadillac dealer mechanic, afterwards tore out of the station's driveway like the cops were on his tail.

When he returned, he explained that he had to "bed" the brakes. He also explained that at least once a month I should "drive the car like I just stole it."

Where do mechanics get such ideas?

Regards,

Warren

P.S. The brakes are still smooth as silk. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

on an average brake job for myself it usually cost about sixty for the front and the same for the rear. that includes new pads and rotors turned. no i find i only need to change the rears about half as often due to usual brake were...more braking in the front.

I don't think that the price was out of line, after all we all have to eat. This friend of a friend saved you about a GRAND over the dealer price. If you don't belive me call the Caddy dealer for a price, it's like buying a second car when you pay the dealer price.

lwriddell

• 10 months later...

I buy American as first choice because that's the way I am, and I have always been like that. The sad thing is that the out-of-country parts are probally as good if not better. You see, that's why I buy American as first choice, so I can make such comments.

As with the taking off as if the cops are chasing him, I don't understand the logic. Some hard stomps on new shoes/pads is correct because it cuts the parts in. I brake lightly--67.1k and the factory pads are at about 70%. One problem with my light braking is that the light pressure causes the rotors to warp. (All I have to do know is to learn to is operate the gas pedal the same way when I leave a light.)

The ol' geezer-lady type braking will warp the rotors in ways that will defy your imagination. That's why they come back with unblemished pads and rotors like washboards, whining about faluty craftsman ship.

I drive the crap out of my new brakes. Just last nite, I was doin' the old 2 gear carbon blow out bringin' it up to 70, when on the third one, I noticed I was about 150ft from the light where I turn into my complex. I immediatley through it back in drive and stomped on the brake pedal. It stopped like a charm with 10ft to go before the line. If I had done that with OEM brakes and pads, I assure you it would not have been pretty. Just so you know, this was a regular road, not one of those older highways with light. The speed limit was 45mph. It was 3:30 in the morning though, and I was too lazy to get on the highway. I never drive like that on this road, but no one was around and I just coudn't resist. I've never had a car stop that well, even my '98 M3 didn't stop that well. I must have warped 4 sets of front rotors in that thing before I totaled it. That sucked! :( . It was about 10 degrees outside, and the Pirelli P Zeros didn't have the traction I thought they did. I hit a patch of ice, and when I went to brake and steer into the spin to correct myself, it wasn't the rotors and pads that stopped me, but rather a gaurdrail, two mailboxes, and a tree. I did notice that when I got out, all the brake lines had burst and brake fluid was leaking out all over the calipers and rotors. I guess it was from the pressure of the ABS. I'll never drive a car with tires like that in cold whether again.

I kinda went a little off topic with that, but I guess I was just trying to compare the M3's braking to my STS. :lol:

I do my own brakes! I cant afford to pay someone to do a simple task that I can do myself. But there is some stuff I think I can do, but stay away from, because if I mess up it will just end up costing more in the long run!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Brakes are fairly easy if someone just shows you how to do them a few times!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

The ol' geezer-lady type braking will warp the rotors in ways that will defy your imagination. That's why they come back with unblemished pads and rotors like washboards, whining about faluty craftsman ship.

I've never heard of such a thing. How in the world is light breaking gonna warp rotors?

The ol' geezer-lady type braking will warp the rotors in ways that will defy your imagination.  That's why they come back with unblemished pads and rotors like washboards, whining about faluty craftsman ship.

I've never heard of such a thing. How in the world is light breaking gonna warp rotors?

Perhaps the rotors are not warped.

Pulsing that might feel like warped rotors can result from uneven distribution of pad material on the rotor caused by "light braking" [otherwise known as incorrect bedding (break-in) of new pads to a clean rotor].

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

may a person who made the brakes at least once call himself /herself mechanically incliend? I think so.

comments are very welcome

I guess I misunderstood the question and vote NO.

Yes, I think anybody who did this can call himself /herself mechanically incliend.

I didn't do this (some how my brakes work fine since I bought a car in 1998).

P.S.

Oh, actually I understood the question right but I didn't make the brakes yet.

I think the comment ("may a person who made the brakes at least once call himself /herself mechanically incliend?") and poll question are not consistent.

The poll just shows how many people made the brakes, and the answer for comment question can be different. What answer should be if the person made a head gasket and didn't make a brakes? The comment for poll a bit confusing.

Adallak, what question you ask?

Archived