CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Got beat by a caprice

I was out crussin' the ave one night and had to stop at a red light. Then a red round body caprice on some 24 in rims pulls up next to me and starts revvin up his engine, so me being me i reved up pearl,light turns green dude shoots off, i said no can't let that happen and i hit pearl straight to the floor,she went flyn after him,i started to gain ground on him but in the end he got me a 3 mile road no stop lights speed limits 50 but i had pearl up to about 110,at least thats what im admiting too.but one thing u gotta love that low end torque on those 4.9's its impressive.come to find out the guy driving the caprice is my brothers friend and he has a 350 in the caprice,she is runnin' to have 24's on it thats allota weight for a motor to pull. Darn those chevy motors.

I was out crussin' the ave one night and had to stop at a red light. Then a red round body caprice on some 24 in rims pulls up next to me and starts revvin up his engine, so me being me i reved up pearl,light turns green dude shoots off, i said no can't let that happen and i hit pearl straight to the floor,she went flyn after him,i started to gain ground on him but in the end he got me a 3 mile road no stop lights speed limits 50 but i had pearl up to about 110,at least thats what im admiting too.but one thing u gotta love that low end torque on those 4.9's its impressive.come to find out the guy driving the caprice is my brothers friend and he has a 350 in the caprice,she is runnin' to have 24's on it thats allota weight for a motor to pull. Darn those chevy motors.

Chevy motors are tough and it's hard to kill them. My '66 Malibu has the 283 and it's still running with over 300,000 miles on it....LOL!!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

but one thing u gotta love that low end torque on those 4.9's its impressive.come to find out the guy driving the caprice is my brothers friend and he has a 350 in the caprice,she is runnin' to have 24's on it thats allota weight for a motor to pull. Darn those chevy motors.

What's tough about a small block Chevy is the aftermarket they've got. For instance, any '94-'96 Impala SS isn't all that quick out of the box (0-60 in the mid-7s and even close to 8 seconds). Any Northstar Cadillac should be able to outrun it, and a 4.9L would give it a good run for its money (as you saw). But you never know just what else he or she's got under the hood. Headers, cams, even heads, are pretty cheap for those LT1s. They can be pushing 400 hp pretty easily, and discretely. I wouldn't hesitate to race an Impala SS from any speed (given a proper road course)...if I knew it was stock. :)

I bet that guy with the Caprice had swapped in a warmed-over LT1 engine (or maybe built the original one) and had anywhere from 260-300 hp.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Sometimes I never know what these guys have under the hood! I have surprised a lot of people when I pull off the line too, most of em think I have done a bunch of engine modifications! But it is clearly stock!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Doesn't some of those early 1990's Caddy's have the LT1 350?

I think starting in 1990, a 350 was optional. Possibly it was the LT1, but I don't think so. I don't think the LT1 was available until 1994, and it was the 260-hp version that was found in the Impala SS. I don't know any of that for fact, just what I've gathered from posts here and there.

There is a guy in my town who drives a beautiful Impala SS. Black and I believe its a 96 with a different exhaust system on it. Its a shame though because he treats it like garbage. Always dirty and drives the crap out of it, I saw him pull into a convience store and threw it into park before the car even had a chance to stop. Too bad, I hope I line up next to him this summer. :P

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Jim

A 350 with TBI was an optional engine with the trailer towing package in 1990 in the RWD Brougham. In 1991 and 1992, the 350 TBI was the optional engine in the RWD Brougham but it no longer required the trailer towing package. In 1993, the 350 TBI was the standard engine in the Fleetwood Brougham.

The LT1 with multiport fuel injection was standard in the Fleetwoods from 1994-1996.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There is a guy in my town who drives a beautiful Impala SS. Black and I believe its a 96 with a different exhaust system on it.....I hope I line up next to him this summer. :P

If all he has are a set of Flowmasters, you should have no trouble with him. :)

If anyone wants to enter the world of performance Fleetwood (Impala SS) stuff, check out the www.impalassforum.com site.

It's almost like cheating, having a real Cadillac with a reliable, cheap Chevy under the hood, and all the enthusiasm and support of the SS crowd.

Take it from me, a great choice for a 2nd Cadillac is a LT1 Fleetwood. Now, if it only looked like my 96 Seville.....oh well, can't have it all!

• 2 months later...

I've spanked a 96 Impala with exhaust and a few other bolt on from a 45-90 MPH run and took him by a car length in my 96 STS. www.adumbrecords.com/hosting for pics and 1/4 mile videos

I think starting in 1990, a 350 was optional. Possibly it was the LT1, but I don't think so. I don't think the LT1 was available until 1994, and it was the 260-hp version that was found in the Impala SS. I don't know any of that for fact, just what I've gathered from posts here and there.

In 1990, the 350 was available in the RWD Brougham with the towing package only and was 185 HP throttle body injection. The standard engine was the carbed Olds 307 rated at 170 HP.

In 1991, the optional engine was the 350 with TBI but it no longer required the tow package. The standard engine was the 305 with TBI. The engines were 185 and 170 HP respectively. 1992 was basically a carryover of the 1991 models.

In 1993, the Brougham/Brougham d'Elegance was renamed the Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham respectively. The standard engine was the 350 with TBI and 185 HP. That was the only engine available in the RWD car for 1993.

The 1994-1996 Fleetwood and Fleetwood Broughams had the LT1 engine with 260 HP as the standard engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, thanks for that history. Was '93 the first year for the last-gen rounder styling?

A 350 with TBI was an optional engine with the trailer towing package in 1990 in the RWD Brougham. In 1991 and 1992, the 350 TBI was the optional engine in the RWD Brougham but it no longer required the trailer towing package. In 1993, the 350 TBI was the standard engine in the Fleetwood Brougham.

The LT1 with multiport fuel injection was standard in the Fleetwoods from 1994-1996.

In 1990, the 350 was available in the RWD Brougham with the towing package only and was 185 HP throttle body injection. The standard engine was the carbed Olds 307 rated at 170 HP.

In 1991, the optional engine was the 350 with TBI but it no longer required the tow package. The standard engine was the 305 with TBI. The engines were 185 and 170 HP respectively. 1992 was basically a carryover of the 1991 models.

In 1993, the Brougham/Brougham d'Elegance was renamed the Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham respectively. The standard engine was the 350 with TBI and 185 HP. That was the only engine available in the RWD car for 1993.

The 1994-1996 Fleetwood and Fleetwood Broughams had the LT1 engine with 260 HP as the standard engine.

I always wondered if it was a lot of engineering to put all of those different engines into those cars over such a short span. Like I know our 89, 90, and 91 Fleetwood FWDs are all different, the 89 has the 4.5L TBI, the 90 has a 4.5L PFI, and the 91 has the 4.9L PFI and everything is different between the 90 and 91 from battery location and cooling system, must have been a lot of designing <_< .

I know from my 96 Brochure that the Fleetwood has an optional trailer towing package with a limited slip diff and 3.73 ratio. That to me sounds like a recipe for a drag race...Yea it's got a 350 LT1, 3.73 posi :lol:

Spence

Kevin, thanks for that history. Was '93 the first year for the last-gen rounder styling?

Yes - 1993 was the first year of the restyle/rounder styling.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For some interesting Cadillac horsepower, you might enjoy these:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/210884/1

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

For some interesting Cadillac horsepower, you might enjoy these:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/210884/1

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM

Regards,

Warren

Wow!

I had seen Kevin D's FTS before and am very impressed by that, but Cadillacman's 1980 8.2L beast is amazing! :o I can just imagine these guys in the Firebirds, Camaros, and vette's with there jaws dropping as he pulls away from them off the line! :lol:

Nothing like big-block torque there! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived