CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bbobynski

Scotty

bbobynski, in one of our threads a poster JAMES THOMAS SMITH made this comment "No one can convince that Cadillac with all its research and development is'nt aware of what happens when you put two dissimilar metals together. Electrolysis mind friend, in other words corrosion"

Here is the link to this post >> http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4984&st=15

He made that plus other rotten statements about cadillac. While I know it is HIS right to trash a product, I know that you can provide a little information for this fellow. He seems soured for some reason and is spewing negative statements and opinions that I know you have the FACTS on... Thank you for you time, Mike

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like this is the place to lodge complaints.

http://www.lemonauto.com/gm/northstar.htm

I don't mind members' criticisms if they're based on fact or are supported by factual data. Even if someone wants to vent because of bad experiences, then I guess I don't mind that either. We all vent from time-to-time.

However, I think that generalizations regarding GM's engineering should be put into proper perspective. That is, with all the complaints there are also many satisfied customers. I for example have 175,000 miles on my Eldorado. I have put very little money into it at this point. That's not to say that every Cadillac is going to go 175,000 miles without major repairs. We just took a pole not too long ago were many members reported having between 125 - 150,000 miles on their Cadillac odometer. I suspect that many, if not most, were Northstars'.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=606&hl

I have no doubt that my Cadillac is capable of going well over 200K without major repairs. Along the way I'm sure I will have to make some repairs. However, that’s what happens when one owns a vehicle with over 200K--it's a fact of life that repairs, even expensive repairs may be necessary. I'm sure if we compared Cadillac repair costs to other vehicles the outcome would show that Cadillac is well within the acceptable range. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Cadillac just came in second behind Lexus for customer satisfaction? So, obviously GM is doing something right. I just hope they can keep it up. I want an American company to be number 1. I think GM can do it!

i would have to secound that. bought my 91 sevile with 149k on it last year. the guy i got it from slide it into a curb and bent the lower cradle. and parked it. sex and a half years lader i walk up to his door and offer $200 for it. and walk away a new caddy owner! put only $1,100 into it, including 4 new tires, brakes, two new front struts, and a trip to the junk yard for the cradle for only $25, and away we went. p.s. the car had not been started or moved in 6.5years, felled up with fresh gas and new battery, and started right up, no problem. that is a test of good, no fine Machinery. thanks carl

There is an issue with galvanic corrosion over time that can make the bolts harder and harder to remove. The thread interface tends to get bonded together and is often the reason the threads in the block are damaged to some extent when removing the head bolts after 10 or 12 years....but that is why the timesert repair was developed.

I've had a similar question about the spark plug threads, and the spark plugs. Over time, you'd think the same process would occur -- whenever you'd remove a plug after being installed forever, you'd lose the threads in the head. But a spark plug isn't torqued to near the torque of a head bolt. Is that why problems with spark plugs are so much rarer? In fact, I believe you've said before that if you use an impact to REMOVE the spark plugs, you're pretty much assured of a clean break?

Thanks,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I think that every venting Northstar owner gets their "galvanic corrosion" information and other "engineering analysis" from this other cretin....

http://members.rogers.com/gtrose/

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm still laughing......

Thanks Bbobynski!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The OEM spark plugs for the Northstar have nickel plated threads on the shell to minimize the chances of "galvanic corrosion" between the dissimilar metals causing a problem.

Cool. That makes sense. Yet another reason to use AC plugs when you change them, huh?! :) As always, thanks.

I think that every venting Northstar owner gets their "galvanic corrosion" information and other "engineering analysis" from this other cretin....

http://members.rogers.com/gtrose/

I have sent this individual several fact laden emails explaining his misconceptions and correcting the misinformation that he spouts off about and he sees fit to only post items of his chosing completely out of context despite his offer to print any and all information available.

Any threaded fastener screwed into a threaded hole regardless of the metals involved can have some problems with corrosion and removing the fastener.

The OEM spark plugs for the Northstar have nickel plated threads on the shell to minimize the chances of "galvanic corrosion" between the dissimilar metals causing a problem. Plugs rarely give a problem quite honestly. Most problems experienced in removing plugs occur due to overtorqueing the plugs at the last installation.

I read over that entire site. Sounds like most of the problems described came about after a trip to the mechanic. Both accounts I read there the engine was not timserted. Headbolts pulled and then they were helicoiled. Timeserts were not used, sounds like the reliability problems were caused by the technicians not understanding the reccomended service procedures.

I suppose that they couldn't get the money from the shop and therefore are attacking somebody with deeper pockets.

The OEM spark plugs for the Northstar have nickel plated threads on the shell to minimize the chances of "galvanic corrosion" between the dissimilar metals causing a problem.

Cool. That makes sense. Yet another reason to use AC plugs when you change them, huh?! :) As always, thanks.

So true Jason, I was thinking the exact same thing about the plugs, no aftermarket plugs for me! Mike

You wanted to know what timeserts are coated with boneheadski? CORROSIVE INHIBITING ZINC PHOSPHATE. Maybe you've never heard of such a thing?

Quote: (bbobynski)

">Their only coating is a "general phos" and oil dip to prevent general corrosion from humidity before installation. They have no "special" coating. Their inserts are heat treated steel"<

Uh, re-read his post, and give it some thought, Jim.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Your words Mr Smith.

Well it seems we've upset Mr. Scotty Man and he has resorted to name calling. Isn't that special. No it's extra special. Well, I won't descend to his level, I'll just state the facts.

You wanted to know what timeserts are coated with boneheadski?

Timeserts are steel mastermind,

do your research buffoon.

undefinedWhy my 1994 STS draws stares and "excuse me there is a big problem with your front wheel" comments when I turn left in a parking lot

what do you think this means?

OK guys lets not descend into the gutter any further.. I think we supported our position through the use of facts quite well and we have learned more about the head bolts thanks to bbobynski in the process.. Lets not get this thread removed, its a good one for future reference... Mike

Lets not get this thread removed, its a good one for future reference...

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Bbobynski's last reply. It's unfortunate that it takes such a negative person to draw all the juicy facts out, but I for one learned a lot reading Guru's last post.

My only comment would be that Cadillac is not for everyone. That is what I usually like to say when somebody stupid makes a comment that my Caddy must eat a lot of gas (since there is nothing else bad to be told, by looking at the car or sitting in a front seat). If I start explaining that my 10 year old car still goes 20 MGH in New York, and comparing to for example new Audi A6 who goes 17 MPG, and I do not even want to mention the SUV-s, so my response would be..."well this car is not for everyone, I can afford it and I am enjoying every minute of it..."

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

It's unfortunate that it takes such a negative person to draw all the juicy facts out, but I for one learned a lot reading Guru's last post.

Well said, ....it is amazing how much more I learn when bbobinski gets into the "nitty-gritty-details" with automotive engineering because someone challenges his notion about the design. I did that once with him about the need for timeserting,...and time and others experiences on this board have proven how little I knew about the subject.

Thats okay,...I now think and listen before I speak on technical issues, and "others" might take heed and use this forum to gain and share knowledge, rather than "shooting from the hip".

Wow! That was exciting. Thanks for all the info, it makes learning fun. Keep up all the good work guys.

Archived