CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bbobynski

Scotty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I propose that a special section be created on this board for dudes like that J.T.S. It could be called the "Grassy Knoll or Area 51 section". This stuff has been surreal, but funny. Kind of like Green Acres.

Okay,...you been talking to some of those reliability "animals".

Reliability animals?

I was inferring to "Reliability Engineering". I had a recent requirement to find a person with experience with Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) in accordance with MIL-STD-785. Anyhow, it took weeks and weeks through national engineering firms to find the right candidate. It is a unique engineering discpline and these individuals command a high price. Most of them reside in DoD Aerospace and commercial aircraft industries.

Anyway, it all about "root cause and effect", MTBF, MTTR, I can assure everyone that Cadillac has a group that performs this analysis, as, I'm sure most automotive manufacturers do.

I was inferring to "Reliability Engineering". I had a recent requirement to find a person with experience with Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) in accordance with MIL-STD-785. Anyhow, it took weeks and weeks through national engineering firms to find the right candidate. It is a unique engineering discpline and these individuals command a high price. Most of them reside in DoD Aerospace and commercial aircraft industries.

Anyway, it all about "root cause and effect", MTBF, MTTR, I can assure everyone that Cadillac has a group that performs this analysis, as, I'm sure most automotive manufacturers do.

Oh, okay. Actually, I picked up that phrase from a psychology professor in college when I had to take a psych. course one summer. We studied how correlations are most often misinterpreted as cause-and-effect situations by the general public, and the context there was psychological environments, obviously, but I liked the phrase and find it fits in almost anywhere. Most people assume that if the head gasket leaks, it must have been because of stripped threads, because you "always have a stripped thread with a bad head gasket". They're looking at the correlation and jumping to the conclusion that a stripped thread caused the leak, when in actuality, the stripped thread was a "casualty" of the leak, and got damaged when someone removed the head. Perfect example of "correlation doesn't imply causality".

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Very well done all, I enjoyed the read. Guru, I hope you don't mind but I cut and paste some of your knowledge to other boards that I belong to. And I do give you all the credit and point as many people to this board as I can get to come here. Thanks again.

Jeff

P.S. I don't even have my Eldorado any more but I still come here to learn. I wish the Lexus forum that I am in had a Guru, it would sure make things better.

That "james whoever smith" guy is totally out of line! If you don't like Cadillac fine, but drop it already. In my opinion buying imported cars is un-American. In many countries across the pond, they laugh at Americans! We buy their products, but they refuse to buy ours! In some countires they vandalize cars just because they are American! Do what you want with your imported car, but leave it out of this forum! Lets not forget the huge tariffs placed on American cars overseas. Yet imported cars don't suffer that in the US. The "playing field" is not fair or leveled, and that is the core reason US backed products have any competition in the first place. Lower wages and poor benefits for workers who make many imported makes. Including those "assembly plants" the imports have in the US. These assembly plants are in areas of the country where wages are below average, and property values are as well. Ask Toyota to build an assembly plant in Detroit. Try this one out for size. Compare the benefits of a 30 vet at GM with one who worked for Toyota. Not even close.

Guys, I just spent some time on "Lexus LS400 / Lexus LS430 Forum", and can tell you that they can brake and need maintanace more than Caddy's. I was starting to get worried since we all report our problems here, but there is no car that don't need proper maintanance, period. They are quite expenssive to fix too. Most of them report timing belt that need to be replaced at around 90,000 miles and most of them replaced the water pump at the same mileage. I also do not recall seeing any Caddy on the road waiting for help, and I just passed Porshe 911 on LIE waiting in a right line for tow truck, last Sunday.

Proud Cadillac owner.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Most of them report timing belt that need to be replaced at around 90,000 miles and most of them replaced the water pump at the same mileage.

So many automakers, including "premium" lines like Lexus still rely on timing belts to turn the valvetrain. I don't understand that. Never have, never will. There's no reason to use a timing belt, 'cept to save money I guess. We all know here that a properly-engineered timing chain setup is superior to any piece of rubber.

When we bought our minivan, that was a big consideration for me. I never have owned a vehicle with a timing belt, and didn't plan to start now. Honda's Odyssey was the only foreign van we were half interested in, but it used a timing belt. No thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Holy crap why is this james thomas smith still one here? I have just gone into this post for the first time and now know why every one hates him so much! He has insulted bbobynski or in his words boneheadinski! He has insulted bruce, scotty, the list go's on! Is it not time to get rid of him! We should start a poll should he stay or should he leave! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Holy crap why is this james thomas smith still one here? I have just gone into this post for the first time and now know why every one hates him so much! He has insulted bbobynski or in his words boneheadinski! He has insulted bruce, scotty, the list go's on! Is it not time to get rid of him! We should start a poll should he stay or should he leave! :lol:

I understand, try to ignore him, eventually he will either be barred or move on.

These types of people don't add any useful information only venom. Its like listening to Ted Kennedy, all misery with his negative agenda, all the while ignoring anything positive! He can't help it, its a mindset that is popular these days. They wallow around being victims and pointing fingers. They are not part of the solution they are part of the problem..

Many here have tried to get through to this individual and have not been successful. Some people are just miserable and look for other miserable people to join them. You have to feel sorry however for miserable people. I am sure they are miserable in all aspects of their life.

We have had this type of person here before, and we will have this type of person here again, thank your lucky stars you are not like him.....

• 1 month later...
i would have to secound that. bought my 91 sevile with 149k on it last year. the guy i got it from slide it into a curb and bent the lower cradle. and parked it. sex and a half years lader i walk up to his door and offer $200 for it. and walk away a new caddy owner! put only $1,100 into it, including 4 new tires, brakes, two new front struts, and a trip to the junk yard for the cradle for only $25, and away we went. p.s. the car had not been started or moved in 6.5years, felled up with fresh gas and new battery, and started right up, no problem. that is a test of good, no fine Machinery. thanks carl

cartonmat, that was a very cool story, I had not seen your story about the 91 Seville until today! Mike

Archived