CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery Replace

jschunke

How often do you folks replace your batteries?

Some claim to religiously replace theirs every

three years whether or not it charges OK. I'm

asking because I just had a bad experience with

a DieHard Gold that charged enough to start the

car, but never fully charged and thus drew a

considerable load. My dad's car has a three year

old DieHard that appears to not be holding a

charge. What's with these DieHards?

My question is that why don't/aren't you taking them back and getting new ones? The last diehard, well car battery diehard, I bought had a 5 year warrenty. I have been able to get 5 to 8 years on diehards.

I bought 5 (five) 650 cranking amp batteries for my boat, comination deep cycle/cranking in the summer of 2000. (I don't remember how long the warrenty was.) These battries' lifestyle sucks, meaning this is the worst operating conditions that battries can be exposed to. And they sit from November until April in a heated garage, being charged when I remember to do so. They are still hammering strong, so I don't see why I won't get at least 2 or 3 more years out of them.

I'm a big GM ACDelco man; in fact, I won't use anything but AC plugs, filters, wipers, starters, and alternators. But it has been my experaince that ACDelco batteries are trash, with a 2 to 3 year lifespan. I will concede, however, and say that the 01 STS's Delco still seems strong. The thing is that its a heated garage queen, helping the living enviroment. When I replace the battery, I'll use a diehard because I have always had good luck with them.

You know, it might not be the battery causing the problem. If the charging system isn't putting out, it doesn't matter what type of battery you have. that's a problem Another thing that has always amazed me is the incredible filthy battery terminals that the majority of the population has on their cars.

I still have the original ACDelco in my '94. (11 years old now).

I was concerned last week while visiting my Mother over the holidays.

The car was outside overnight, -18C (0 F).

It turned over great in the morning and started like I had just shut it off.

I will be changing the battery soon, it can't last much longer.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

When I replace the battery, I'll use a diehard because I have always had good luck with them.

If those of you with under-the-seat batteries had to buy a replacement tomorrow, it would be the OEM Delco. No one else produces a battery that will fit in the space and deliver the CCA without modifying the floor pan or the seat cushion or both.

The original battery in my '98 started giving me warning signals in January, 2004. I had plenty of time to casually search for a replacement before the battery died in November, 2004, and Delco was the only one I was able to find.

Wonder how many times the original battery started the engine in 81 months (138,000 miles)?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim and Barry, those are great stories of longevity! Our '97 is on its second AC-Delco battery (original, and AC-Delco Professional replacement) and it starts fine at 140,000 miles. I replace them when they die, and when that time comes, another AC-Delco will go in, although I've had good luck with Diehards also, before I got the Seville.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If those of you with under-the-seat batteries had to buy a replacement tomorrow, it would be the OEM Delco. No one else produces a battery that will fit in the space and deliver the CCA without modifying the floor pan or the seat cushion or both.

Hey Jim,

Just to let you know, I too have been in search of...

Found what looks like a direct replacement at Advance Auto Parts.

I know the look, with the two vent tubes, is the same. Don't remembe

the cca. I have held off because my original battery is doing just fine...it's a '99.

knock knock...

I still have the original ACDelco in my '94. (11 years old now).

I was concerned last week while visiting my Mother over the holidays.

The car was outside overnight, -18C (0 F).

It turned over great in the morning and started like I had just shut it off.

I will be changing the battery soon, it can't last much longer.

Barry

I got my car in September 04 and the original AC Delco battery was still in it. It needed to be replaced when I got it though.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I just replaced my AC Delco battery last month. I replaced it with another AC Delco. I am not sure if my pevious one was original but i never checked. I haven't had that much experiance with battery's anyway, I wouldn't know what to buy.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

JimD Posted on Jan 4 2005, 03:08 AM

Thanks Jim. Certainly good info to know.

Jim

Archived