CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo acts up again! (P020, 022, 070, 094 & finally, the 095)

Ion

What should have been a routine 3 hour drive from Flagstaff to Lake Havasu, the old Caddy decided to start stalling and refusing to shift out of 2nd, in the dark, in the desert, 120 miles from home....ended up being a 6 hour adventure from hell!

After limping home, the error codes surprised me, in that there were no MAP sensor errors, that have haunted this car in the past, causing it to randomly stall like it did this time. HOwever, a new issue presented itself this time...refusing to shift oout of 2nd gear! Fortunately, the ride home from Flagstaff was in great part, down hill. So I'd accellerate up to about 5k on the tach, getting me up to around 60 mph, then pop it into "N" and let it coast down the mountain until havg to eventually repeat this behaviour.

Interesting note: once making it to Kingman, AZ, a much lower altitude than Flagstaff, both issues disappeared, allowing me to make it to Lake Havasu with no further issues!

The codes stated in the title are what I found on the OBD. P020, 022, 070, 094 & the 095. Perhaps a bit of relevance can be given to the fact that I don't recall ever changing the tranny fluid. A more mechanically oriented friend of mine said that old, dirty ATF could cause the pistons to not operate correctly, so first order of business is to drain and refill the ATF. Probably a good idea to drop the pan and replace the filter too, right?

Might the throttle related codes be related to old ATF? I don't think replacing the TPS will remedy the problem.

P020 - Open fuel pump circuit

P022 Open TPS signal

P070 Intermittant TPS signal

P094 Transaxle shift "A" solenoid problem

P095 Engine stall detected

It looks like something is wrong with the TPS or the connection to the TPS as well as the fuel pump circuit. That would explaing the stalling.

The stuck in second gear is from the A solenoid in the transmission. The solenoid kit contains both solenoids as well as a reinforcement bracket so they do not break.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Might the "A" solonoid be sticking due to old ATF? And, since I'm not a mechanic, if it came down to it, is replacing said solonoids something I could do?

re: TPS. I replaced one many years ago, but don't recall where it is located.

My Uncle had to have those solenoids replaced years ago when he had his 95 Deville and he had a mechanic do it .I think it was a pretty tough job at least that is what he said. Changing the fluid probably won't fix it but it has to be done especially since the pan will be off anyway.Good luck!!!

I highly doubt the solenoid is sticking due to old fluid. The CHANGE TRANS FLUID message would have popped up on the DIC before way before it degraded to that point. Also, there are screens and a filter to keep debris out of the critical areas of the transmission. The solenoids on that vintage of transmission fail due to the solenoid housings cracking and binding the solenoid. The replacement kit contains a brace to prevent the failure in the future. I think the brace was installed in production with the 1995 or 1996 model year.

The TPS is on the throttle body area. It could be a dead spot in the TPS, bad connection at the plug, damaged wiring or a combination. It is very easy to check the TPS siginal with an analog voltmeter. Any blip/drop of the voltage and the sensor should be replaced.

I will guess the main drivability issue with your car was due to the open fuel pump circuit. If the fuel pump doesn't run, it will stall the engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Another note relative to my situation: since returning home monday night, the car has not had a single problem...runs very normally. If there was a bad solonoid, would it behave like this: for the very first time ever causing tranny to not shift out of 2nd, then, for the last 75 miles of my trip, operate normally, then operate normally until present?

also...might the TPT errors and the open fuel pump circuit errors be related to the engine's behavior due to solonoid acting up?

and lastly...will bad battery connections cause all the errors and erratic behavior I experienced?

My Uncle had to have those solenoids replaced years ago when he had his 95 Deville and he had a mechanic do it .I think it was a pretty tough job at least that is what he said. Changing the fluid probably won't fix it but it has to be done especially since the pan will be off anyway.Good luck!!!

Changing the solenoids is a DIY job. The valve body needs to be removed once the pan and scavenger screens are removed. There are 5 or 6 check balls that need to be installed in the exact location or it will not shift.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE...

If the solonoids were actually damaged, wouldn't it (they) stay damaged and malfunctioning? Since I made it home monday night, the car has run perfectly.

The housings crack and bind up the piston in the solenoid. Over time, the crack gets worse. It is possible your's is in the infant stage of failure. If it were me, I'd probably keep driving it until it is no longer intermittent.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Does anyone know the part number for this transmission solenoid kit? I've done a search on gmpartsdirect.com and did not come up with a match. Our local parts stores aren't finding a match for a kit that has 2 solonoids and all the other parts mentioned in this post.

KHE

re: TPT sensor, when testing, I can only assume looking for a "blip", as you described it, needs to be done while car is running?

No - you need to monitor the TPS signal with the key on and engine off as you will need to move the throttle plate slowly from idle to WOT and you do not want to do that with the engine running.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

After speaking with a local transmission guy who was familiar with these OBD codes, he said something that made sense re: my sequence of events. TPS sends goofy signals to computer, which in turn, sends message to tranny to go into limp home mode, which might have caused the tranny-related error signals. Based on that, I have ordered a new TPS with hope that it was the root of the problem. As an aside, to date, since monday, I have had absolutely no issues with the car. I cleared all codes and am driving like nothing ever happened...go figure.

Yes, low voltage caused by dirty battery terminals can cause all sorts of problems. Let's look at it this way - battery causes TPS to report a blip which causes the transmission to report a blip. I would separate the stacked battery terminal cable on the + side, and clean the front and back of the contact rings.

• 1 month later...

FOLLOWUP:

Since this lousiness occured, I have not had a single issue. I did absolutely nothing. Today, I did an oil change, atf change and replaced the TPS with a new one. After replacing the TPS, the car started acting up again! Getting intermittent & open TPS error messages again, then ultimately, the lousy 095 (stall) code. I suppose it's possible I got a bad new TPS, but I plan to put the old one back in and hope for the best.

Anyone else replace a sensor with a new one, only to have the car act up after the install?

I have rarely installed a TPS on a Northstar, maybe once under warranty in the mid 90's. i wonder if you have a TPS wiring issue or a PCM issue.

and lastly...will bad battery connections cause all the errors and erratic behavior I experienced?

Yes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

TPS terminal issue and or wires being stretched. Is the waterpump bypass pipe stretching or pressing against the TPS wires?

Have pulled or messed with the wiring harness along the bell housing, near the PRNDL switch when the car is running? The ground wire next to the coolant temp sensor on the exhaust stud tends to burn near the ground terminal and cause erratic engine issues.

erratic has been the norm for this old caddie! today, after a highway and local street test drive, I had ZERO issues, without changing anything from yesterday. I don't know where all the sensors and switches barczy01 mentioned are located, but I think I got the jist of what he's saying: inspect wire harnesses and make sure there are no signs of melt-throughs or individual wires pulling away from harness connectors. I do recall the connector for the TPS appearing that someone had electrical taped it over for one reason or another.

Archived