CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buying a Car Long Distance with Caddyinfo

Cadillac Jim

Drama: A couple of weeks ago my 1997 ETC suddenly developed a miss. Local inquiries about another Jasper did not get a serious response. I started a search for an STS-V or CTS-V and Bruce turned up a 2011 CTS-V that I couldn't turn down before we found out that the problem with the 1997 ETC was just a valve. Follow that car on the "Jims 97 ETC" board. Here we will discuss the 2011 CTS-V.

First, I did WWW searches for STS-V and CTS-V cars around the Philly area. Other Caddyinfo Supporters including Bruce, Texas Jim, and BodybyFisher also did searches, and Bruce won the lottery with a car and a deal that I snapped up.

I turned up a great 2009 STS-V about 50 miles north of NYC but didn't pursue it when some great CTS-V cars turned up as well. Interestingly enough, some of the best cars, such as the black 2009 CTS-V, were NYC lease cars that the used car infrastructure system put up for sale in Dallas, because that's the way to move the better cars. BodybyFisher provided a lot of good advice on the STS-V and other cars that we found on our searches, and he had a Philly area dealer on the lookout for a CTS-V for our consideration.

At first I was entranced by a Diamond White 2009 CTS-V. But it didn't pass dealer mechanical inspection. It had a bent supercharger shaft by the drive pulley "at the rear of the engine." No one could figure out how one would do something like that. But the car is off the market while the used car infrastructure deals with a warranty repair, and I wasn't going to wait for it to reappear.

Here is the first solid result of the search, by Texas Jim, who magnanimously took a road trip to a dealer to look at a black 2009 CTS-V for me, including a test drive. He also took quite a number of really good photographs. If you want to know more about the CTS-V, leaf through this Topic:

for Texas Jim's Topic on the black 2009 CTS-V

Texas Jim's photographs of this car are so stunning that he, appropriately, put this Topic under the Cadillac Photography board. This topic has art and beauty as well as details of the interior of the car.

Here is the second result of the search, by Bruce, who, again on his own time, took off from his busy schedule to look at a Thunder Gray 2011 CTS-V:

for Bruce's topic on the Thunder Gray 2011 CTS-V. A link to his blog post is included in the first post.

Bruce's post includes a beautiful portrait of a Thunder Gray CTS-V in repose. The blog entry has a couple of other overall photographs and a lot of other close-ups of various parts of the car as well. I got CarFAX search results on both cars and decided that I must have the 2011 because of its very low mileage and I bought it immediately.

Bruce arranged for, and drove the car to, Crest Cadillac for the "mechanic's inspection." Of course, Crest Cadillac did an incredibly thorough inspection and did it quickly. They left no bit unread in the modules and no nit unpicked on the car, inside and out, verifying resoundingly that this indeed is my next car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a collage of ad pics up here: http://caddyinfo.com...-image-collage/

Various pics of this 2011 CTS-V from ads. Stuff like this:

3b8cc8f30a0d02b700128cadf3099317.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Note the two-panel sunroof, which includes an extra moonroof over the rear seat. When you see a sign "Speed limits enforced by aircraft" you can look up. This kind of help from Caddyinfo people is invaluable when you are buying an out-of-town car. Having the sunroof is a must for me.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Note the two-panel sunroof, which includes an extra moonroof over the rear seat.

When you see a sign "Speed limits enforced by aircraft" you can look up.

This kind of help from Caddyinfo people is invaluable when you are buying an out-of-town car. Having the sunroof is a must for me.

SpeedLimitEnforced.jpg

Posted Image

I've seen that video. Here's the whole thing:

The key is to see the aircraft measuring your speed so that you don't encounter the aircraft enforcing the speed limits.

Seriously, the best thing to do is to drive legally and safely at all times. There are places to let it all out legally and safely, like this one near my home:

Ran the hose over the STS-V to get ready for Jims_97_ETC to visit Friday. Quick iphone shot at the grocery:

Bruce2008_STS-V.JPG

Bruce

Wow that is nice Bruce. I love the license plate. I am very excited about you guys getting together. I think you guys will really appreciate each other. Three Texans! There better be some beef eaten at a meal!

Have a great time, wish I was there

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I wanted an STS-V because it's a Seville, the next thing to an Eldorado, and it has the head-up display, the supercharged version of the Northstar in all its 32-valve DOHC glory, but I just couldn't pass up the owner of the Pirelli Wold Challenge GT class Championship Series, designed and tuned on the world-standard-of-road-racing Nuremberg course.

That STS-V is special. The custom plates really seal the deal.

I was doing a search on my own but when the Caddyinfo supporters got wind of it I got instant help from BodybyFisher, Texas Jim (who found and test-drove a car that I was going to buy!), and Bruce, who found a low-mileage car a couple of years newer than I thought my budget would cover, and Bruce showed up the morning it went out on the lot to drive it and look at it. I made an offer on the spot. That car was at Crest as a courtesy to Bruce for the mechanic's inspection shortly thereafter, and the deal jelled without the car ever actually having any exposure to other buyers. You snooze, you lose.

Knowing what you want, getting pre-financing and getting your insurance company behind you before you look are all good. But with BodybyFisher, Texas Jim, and Bruce out there with all their knowledge and contacts got me the best possible car in just a day or so. Uh, I'm dying to see it...

Jim is in Texas and is on the way up from Houston to Dallas Love Field. Hopefully we'll have lots of car photos Saturday then get him pointed east for the roadtrip back to New Jersey.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

We're missing you in Dallas TexasJim but hopefully we can keep posting along the way over the weekend so everyone can monitor Jim's Cadillac Weekend progress

Bruce

I'm looking forward to Jim's postings of the trip back to New Jersey! Hopefully he packed a Passport radar detector - those 556 ponies may get the best of him... hopefully, not!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

IMG_0330.JPG-2-1024x764.jpg

IMG_0331.JPG-2-1024x764.jpg

Sadly Jim has the wonder-camera and all I can post is the iphone images of Jim taking the great pics we have to wait to see later!

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/jim-arrives-in-texas-and-first-snaps-of-the-new-v/#

Bruce

We're missing you in Dallas TexasJim but hopefully we can keep posting along the way over the weekend so everyone can monitor Jim's Cadillac Weekend progress

I sure wish I was there... :)

Looks like y'all are eating well... LOL

Posted Image

OK, it's late, but I did dig my laptop out. I'll see if there is a cable in the box that will hook up the camera... YES.

These photos are right as they come out of the camera. So, since I can't cut them down to size while on the road, I'll use thumbnails. If you click the thumbnails, you go to the Photobucket rendition, which is a nice size and loads quickly. I may substitute internet-sized photos when I get home. Or not. [EDIT: I did fix the photos!]

Sadly, I don't have any of Bruce taking a photo of me taking a photo of Bruce taking a photo of me taking a photo of the car. But, I do have these.

Here we go, smiling for the camera:

IMG_5788.jpg

If you look closely at the rear bumper, you can see me reflected in the finish.

IMG_5787.jpg

Here's a nice portrait to the right of the front.

Girl1009.jpg

Here's a close-up of the left rear wheel, showing the 19" wheels, very low profile tires, and Brembo brakes.

Girl1016.jpg

Parking lot full of Porsches and we were only there to see the Cadillac.

Girl1012.jpg

I think this is a nice color for a CTS-V.

Bruce

IMG_0336.JPG-2-1024x764.jpg

IMG_0343.JPG-2-1024x764.jpg

IMG_0350-1024x764.jpg

IMG_0345-1024x764.jpg

I met Jim this morning for breakfast at The Egg & I. We had a nice visit and a good repast.

We arrived at Boardwalk Porsche in good time and the car was ready to roll, tags on and keys in hand. Jim pulled it out into the sun for photos.

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/breakfast-jims-cts-v-pickup-on-saturday-and-were-off/#

Bruce

James' likely path back to New Jersey -- one long first drive!

Hopefully Saturday night in Little Rock or Memphis

jimspathhome.jpg

Bruce

Bruce, I think this was the color of the CTS-V's we saw in Monticello.

Beautiful car Jim, glad you made it there with no problems. So are you excited? What are your initial impressions? Details man details!

TexasJim, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your Uncle, if I recall, you chronicled one of your trips to see him.

I think the only better weekend would have been if I had offered to drive the V to NJ -- but perfect that Jims_97_ETC is getting to enjoy his road trip, and we would have missed the opportunity to visit & chat.

We may get details from Jim at the end of each day's drive if he breaks out the laptop. He may only take time to email pics in which case I will add here.

Bruce

Archived